Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
36% after 13 hours. I guess I’m doing better then the rest of you. So much for 18 hour battery life.

Not restoring it. Not returning it. At most I’ll do is turn off always on.

Actually, assuming that you have a constant drain, 36% left after 13 hours works out to slightly under 5% battery usage per hour, which would get you more than 18 hours before it hit 0%. It's actually a little more than 20 hours.

Reactions: jbachandouris

pirarre

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
I just did a factory reset and started fresh. So I’ll see if there’s any changes with the battery and report back.

ericiu2

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
how many of us set up our S5 by restoring from a previous backup, or are starting fresh?
wonder if there's some battery draining bug in the backup data.

I started fresh. Titanium AW5. I did turn on the noise sampling though... wonder if it has to do with noise sampling enabled? Did anyone else NOT turn on noise sampling and still have it die quick?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
how many of us set up our S5 by restoring from a previous backup, or are starting fresh?
wonder if there's some battery draining bug in the backup data.

I started fresh. Battery drain has gone away for me. I have turned off always on display and noise sampling but only because it bugs me more than I thought it would (I type a lot). I'll do some real world testing this week with AOD on/off while at work.

I also turned off noise sampling. So... I can't scientifically say which one of these stopped the battery drain.

I lost about 20% overnight after charing the watch to 100% before going to bed (received in mail late yesterday). After 3 hours off the charger this morning I was down to 90%. My AW 3 could easily last 2 days.

So after reading this thread - turned off AOD and noise sampling. Battery drain has gone to 0. I'm sitting at 92% after 6+ hours off the charger and a 30 min exercise.

Last edited:
Reactions: pirarre

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
I restored from an S4 backup. I had background noise sampling on my S4 and it was fine battery wise. All I changed on my S5 was turning off the AOD and the battery drain dropped significantly.

The speed at the battery was draining I'd end up getting just over 20hrs. At the rate it was draining with AOD off I should have been able to get at least a day and a half to two days before hitting 0%. This would have been with the noise sampling on and all apps refreshing in the background. I'd hate to turn AOD off permanently as I quite like it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
So far I’m averaging maybe 19-20 hours per charge cycle. Not as great as S4, but I guess it lives up to Apple’s claim. They’ve always been a little conservative with the Apple Watch’s battery life.

pirarre

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
So far I’m averaging maybe 19-20 hours per charge cycle. Not as great as S4, but I guess it lives up to Apple’s claim. They’ve always been a little conservative with the Apple Watch’s battery life.

Do you have AOD on as well or have you turned it off?

Same with the Noise app?

pirarre

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
I have always on turned on. I didn’t have noise turned on, but I’ll enable it and see what if any effects it has. But it barely had any effect on S4 when I was on the beta.

Ok cool. I’m hoping a factory reset with a fresh install can fix my battery issues. I have AOD on and Noise off.

I’m charging my watch up from 15%. Once it gets full, I’ll see how it goes.

twennywonn

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
So I get that this could be an indexing issue but I have had every single version of the apple watch and normally after a long day before I throw it on the charger the watch is at 50%. Today my series 5 is at 9% and I will be up for a few more hours yet. One thing I was thinking about is im now using the noise complication and I am wondering if that is causing the drain? The complication has frequent animations. I will wear this puppy till I go to bed and hopefully tomorrow it's better.

baddj

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
My AWS5 battery life is not that great, at 8am its at 100% by 1PM its at 50% with one 40min outdoor walk.

Reactions: twokatmew

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I'm on my first full charging cycle today and I am currently at 45 Min. usage and 4:30 Hours standby at 84% battery left.

pirarre

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
Well since my factory reset and fresh start last night, my watch seems to be doing a lot better so far. I fully charged my watch last night at 11p. I woke up early at 130am and been off the charger ever since. It’s now 235am and I’m at 96%.

Yesterday after an hour use, my battery would’ve decreased by 10% or more.

I did turn off AOD and Noise this time around as well.

Last edited:

Day_

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2019
My AW4 is terrible also on WatchOS6, I used to get 2 days out of it easily, but now I’m at 20% by the end of day 1.
Only change is using the new Nike watch face, I don’t have the noise detection on.

Definitely a WatchOS problem

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
Also my AW4 is loosing battery way more than before WatchOS6 update. Haven't receive yet my 5, but I'm pretty sure this is a WatchOS6 problem.Battery life is almost half what it used to be.

Reactions: deeddawg

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
My S5 Ceramic is noticeably worse than my S4. I workout for 2 hours at 7am, but then fully charge. So I start the day at 10am on a weekend at 100%. I ended the day at 25% today.
My S4 with same conditions and running OS6 was around 50%.

Reactions: Dopestar

Day_

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2019
Is anyone noticing their flights climbed has also rocketed since the update? I'm ending the day with 30+, yet I can assure you it's maybe 5 or 6 at most. Wondering if the two could be connected somehow

Ziiirg

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
My S5 Ceramic is noticeably worse than my S4. I workout for 2 hours at 7am, but then fully charge. So I start the day at 10am on a weekend at 100%. I ended the day at 25% today.
My S4 with same conditions and running OS6 was around 50%.

I am in the same situation. Watch is down 25% within 3-4hrs off the charger. Definitely draining a lot faster than S4...

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
I have just swapped my S3 42mm with an S5LTE 44mm and batterry life is really bad ...
Is it due to watchOS6 ?
Yesterday I have made a 1h20 running session and I had to put my watch in charge at 6pm (only 20% remaining).
ALways on activate and LTE during workout.
Today, without workout, 8am: 100% : 3pm: 60%
Not very good ...

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
My first ever AW and battery life seems better than expected. Charged 10am this morning at 98% when I went for a walk. Used gps for about 90 mins and it’s on 76% now. I haven’t enabled the noise listening.

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
Every watch I have had since S0 takes about a week before I see battery consistency, I think it just takes a few charge cycles.

Reactions: Mercenary
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.