Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lduncan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
ChCh New Zealand
I'm in the process of building an embedded controller for my final university project, it is now connected to the internet, serving a basic web page.

I'm wanting to "load" test it a bit. How can I help you ask? Easy just go to http://lduncan.dyndns.org

For those that are interested, it is based around an ARM9 processor. Apple was involved with ARM during the late 80's, and used an earlier version in the infamous Netwon PDA.

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
That is fantastically cool.

Works well for me.

Good job, and well done.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I opened about 20 tabs within a few seconds and sent them all to that page. All of them loaded fine. Impressive stuff!

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Yes, instant. Where'd you get the board? How do you program it? What would go in the chip site on the left? What else can you do with the board? Are you going to sell 'em?

lduncan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
ChCh New Zealand
I'm an Electrical Engineering student. I designed and built the board that you see on that page.

It has a USB host port. So hopefully soon i'll be able to plug a webcam in and have it stream video over the internet.

Some specs: 180MHz, 32MB SDRAM, 8MB FLASH, 10/100 Base-T Ethernet

The space on the left is for an FPGA.

It can be programmed through the RS-232 serial port, by loading a series of "bootloader" applications which in turn program the FLASH.

The board is running version 2.6.12-rc1 of the linux kernel. The webserver is Apache.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
I made a new folder in my bookmarks toolbar, but 18 times you site, then opened them all simultaneously in tabs. They all finished at the same time in 0.7 seconds. Very impressive, very fast. And my connection is only a 256 Kbps cable. NICE! :D

llama :)

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
lduncan said:
I'm an Electrical Engineering student. I designed and built the board that you see on that page.

It has a USB host port. So hopefully soon i'll be able to plug a webcam in and have it stream video over the internet.

Some specs: 180MHz, 32MB SDRAM, 8MB FLASH, 10/100 Base-T Ethernet

The space on the left is for an FPGA.

It can be programmed through the RS-232 serial port, by loading a series of "bootloader" applications which in turn program the FLASH.

The board is running version 2.6.12-rc1 of the linux kernel. The webserver is Apache.

Holy crapazoey! That's quite a weak computer, yet sooo fast! Great work lduncan! Any Doom3 benchmarks? ;)

lduncan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
ChCh New Zealand
This board (with the right software) can pump out around 9MBytes a second over 100Base-T ethernet. (Some windows machines can't even do that ;) ). So it can quite happily saturate my 320kbps dsl uplink. :D

Layton

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
therevolution said:
I got about 30MB/s average. Not bad!

MB/s? You sure man? ;)
But yeah, it started at ~70Kbps, started slowing down and at around the middle it stayed at ~30Kbps. I think it's extremely fast for that hardware!

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
mbdamdg said:
the preview thing averaged 30KB/sec or so on my 768 DSL - not bad at all for that hardware you're using!
I got about 22KB/s - but my line's a bit up the spout at the moment. Great job BTW

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
How weird would it be to have a webcam hooked up to it so it could take pictures of itself and serve itself to the in'ernet while we all load up the images it takes with a webcam picture of itself and serves it to us using apache so we can see the picture it took of itself.

My brain hurts.

lduncan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
ChCh New Zealand
30kB/s would be close maxing out my upstream connection. 320kbps = 40kB/s

Considering it is getting hammered from users on another forum (haven't posted the 1meg file link on there though)

It could do much better if my DSL upstream speed wasn't as crap. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.