Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z3braman

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
tether works well enough for the equipment I have.

I tether my samsung 757 cellphone using bluetooth to my mac book air or anything else I am using at the time. It is sufficient for email and reading the news or general surfing. The speed varies from less than edge to just above edge on mobilespeedtest.com.

I use aTT. I don't think this is working too well. I watch others on the train with ipads and iphones and other mobile devices and they seem to have better service. Not that I look over shoulders . . .

I think I am getting the new ipad with 3g and I will be downgrading my unlimited phone plan to just phone. I will look into jailbreaking the ipad but I don't think I will need to for tethering since I won't have to. I will do it just for flexibility though.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

lokerd said:
C0WGIRL said:
What I want to do, is use the internet on my iPad, through my phone.

Jailbreak your iPhone, purchase MyWi and you are good to go, I think.

Cheaper and uses less battery:

iPhone: install tetherMe

iPad: install iTether

Unlike mywi, itether uses low power Bluetooth which saves battery.

Ainkor

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I have a palm Pixi+ that sits in my glove box that I use as a hotspot when needed. I was surprised that my new iPad2 can tether over bluetooth to it with no jailbreak.

Here is what I did:

Turn on bluetooth on my Pixi

Turn on the hotspot feature of the Pixi

Paired my iPad to the Pixi and turned off cell and wifi

Browsed the internet!

I wonder how it effects the battery as I haven't had too much time to test it out but it's pretty nifty to do. I paid $55 for the Pixi off contract from buy.com and threw it on a spare line I had. Since the Pixi comes with free hotspot, it works out much better than tethering to my old Droid phone, at least its more legal.

MisterEd45

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
Tether BB9530 w/o PDANET?

I am able to tether iPad 1 (4.3.1 JB) to BB 9530 (STORM) using iBluever 1.5.7 but want to bypass PDANET. Have tried turning on Dial-up Networking on BB but same iBluever script (Default non-GPRS) fails with timeout.

Has anyone been able to tether 9530 w/o PDANET?

Thx in advance for any help...:)

@ aohus: your post indicates you could do this w/o PDANET - can you pls provide ibluever settings & 9530 settings details? Thx.

Last edited:

dgutkin

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
without pdnanet

I tried this and doesn't work. What am i doing wrong. Works with PDAnet and turning off dialup. But not with dialup on and no PDAnet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.