Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
I discovered a weird thing. Well actually, it has been bugging me for at least a year and a half. Do this:

1. Write a random string into a search field in your browser app, like HelloTest:12345 - make sure the letters before the colon are mixed upper case

2. Cut out that whole string and paste it back into that input field

3. The pasted string now looks like this: hellotest:12345 (notice the first part of the string now being lowercase)

I use a password manager from where I copy/paste my encrypted passwords. It happens a lot that some of my passwords contain the colon in the middle of the string rather than at the end - I can't really control this, the passwords are sometimes random generated using the password app which places the characters anywhere, really. This behavior described above turns most of my entered passwords useless and I am consistently met with login errors in various apps and websites. Very annoying.

Is this intended behavior? Or have I just unknowingly discovered an iOS bug nobody even cares about?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think it’s because that colon makes it look like

Code:
username:password

Put quotes around it and it preserves case.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’m not seeing this behavior on my iPhone. Copy/paste “TestWord:12345” isn’t changing letter case.

What language is your phone set to use?

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
it's set to german but I've had this occur on someone's phone set to dutch and italian as well

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hmm. Well, it’s not happening with my iPhone 15 Pro iOS 17.4 set to USA English. Also not happening on my iPad mini 6, iPadOS 17.4.

It certainly could be a bug. Just need to isolate where & when it happens. Have you tested iPad? I put my text in Notes.app and copied it there, then pasted into Safari.app. Check various apps too.

Reactions: Tagbert

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
iPadOS 17.4 (21E219), german, spanish, swedish keyboard languages: no such behaviour.

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
sorry, my mistake. I have 17.4 installed on my iphone and ipad. but the issue exists for at least a year and a half

Dann3

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2020
I can reproduce this on my iPhone and iPad. Copied from Notes into “search” and “user name” fields on different sites in Safari, Google and Chrome.
Swedish language. No 3rd party apps.

Reactions: dreikelvin

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
What happens when you temporarily turn off/log off from your password manager (which?)?

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
no third party app. I tested this on 4 different devices, 2 are phones of colleagues in different countries. also, when I do this exclusively inside the Notes app and just re-paste the string there, it remains unchanged.

it can't be detected as a "URL" if it is just a plain text field. (and again why would you need this functionality there?)

speaking of which, it appears this behaviour is limited around text input fields rendered using webkit - meaning you can try this in safari, duckduckgo and firefox on iOS

Last edited:

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
What happens when you temporarily turn off/log off from your password manager (which?)?
KeepPass Touch doesn't run as a service in the background, it is a simple app that just authenticates you and decrypts a keepass file stored locally.

As I said, I asked 2 friends with iPhones who don't use this app at all and they were able to reproduce it...

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Please post detailed steps to reproduce… example

- open Safari
- Go to webpage (whatever)
- select text field (whatever)
- type text “(whatever)”
- select text & “copy”
- select field (whatever) [or new tab or new webpage etc]
- paste text
- result is “(whatever)”

I’m will to believe you’ve found a bug - but so far it’s not easily reproducible.

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022

- open Safari
- type text “(whatever)”
- select text & “copy”
- paste text
- result is “(whatever)”

I’m will to believe you’ve found a bug - but so far it’s not easily reproducible.
it is as straightforward as it gets. I even attached a video...

if you have nothing to add to this discussion, then please just don't comment here. I made this thread so someone who has the same issue and googles it can find this thread and hopefully find a solution.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
it is as straightforward as it gets. I even attached a video...

if you have nothing to add to this discussion, then please just don't comment here. I made this thread so someone who has the same issue and googles it can find this thread and hopefully find a solution.
Yes, I saw your video. Can’t tell what app you’re in -I can see you’re on Google but not much else. I tried to reproduce from that and got different results. So either you’re dealing with an app/location/language that I’m not, or some other factor on you phone or Apple ID or ??? Is causing the issue. @Dann3 can reproduce it, @Slartibart and I cannot.

If you don’t want help, perhaps YOU should not post.

Dann3

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2020

- open Safari
- type text “(whatever)”
- select text & “copy”
- paste text
- result is “(whatever)”

I reported it to Apple feedback if that has any effect.

This is how I reproduced it:

- Open Notes and write:
TestTest:Test
- Copy it
- Open Safari and browse to www.google.com
- Paste the string into Google’s search field (not the url field)

The result should be testtest:Test

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
Yes, I saw your video. Can’t tell what app you’re in -I can see you’re on Google but not much else. I tried to reproduce from that and got different results. So either you’re dealing with an app/location/language that I’m not, or some other factor on you phone or Apple ID or ??? Is causing the issue. @Dann3 can reproduce it, @Slartibart and I cannot.

If you don’t want help, perhaps YOU should not post.
I am here to investigate with fellow iOS users. All the necessary info to reproduce this problem can be found in post #1
in the video you can see that I am on google's main page. It doesn't get any easier than that. If you open a website on an iOS/iPadOS device, then you're just opening a webkit view, no matter what app - so it doesn't matter, really.

Please try to keep this conversation here civil or I will have to report you 🙏

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
I reported it to Apple feedback if that has any effect.

This is how I reproduced it:

- Open Notes and write:
TestTest:Test
- Copy it
- Open Safari and browse to www.google.com
- Paste the string into Google’s search field (not the url field)

The result should be testtest:Test
Yes, I did so too! If they see this pop up in their system more frequently, then hopefully something will be done about it...thanks!

Reactions: Dann3

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
That is strange.

The fact it doesn’t happen in the URL bar is even weirder. 😄

speaking of which, it appears this behaviour is limited around text input fields rendered using webkit - meaning you can try this in safari, duckduckgo and firefox on iOS
I’m thinking WebKit bug too. I didn’t try different iOS Web browsers but different pages and different input fields.

when I do this exclusively inside the Notes app and just re-paste the string there, it remains unchanged.
Indeed, it’s not a Clipboard or other problem. No text modification when pasting across other apps that I can see, including via Universal Clipboard.

- open Safari
- type text “(whatever)”
- select text & “copy”
- paste text
- result is “(whatever)”

Yes, I saw your video. Can’t tell what app you’re in -I can see you’re on Google but not much else.
I used Pages and Safari

Reactions: dreikelvin

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
I was able to reproduce it on Mac OS Sonoma using an iPad version of "Snowbunny Private Web Browser" which runs via Webkit as well.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I was able to reproduce it on Mac OS Sonoma using an iPad version of "Snowbunny Private Web Browser" which runs via Webkit as well.
Have you tried without using Safari to help isolate the problem?
Copy your colon text and paste it into Notes to see if the same thing is happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.