Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
Have you tried without using Safari to help isolate the problem?
Copy your colon text and paste it into Notes to see if the same thing is happening.
Yes, text stays the same inside notes. It changes the moment you copy text inside a webkit-rendered input field.

Reactions: Tagbert

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I used Pages and Safari
Thank you - I can duplicate it with USA English now.

I'm surprised I've not come across this the same way the OP did - auto-generated passwords from my Password app. But then again, if I'm creating a new login I usually let Safari set the password and copy that into 1Password rather than 1Password creating it. Safari's passwords only use hyphens as extra characters.

Reactions: dreikelvin

dreikelvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
Found it filed as a bug in Webkit in 2021.

Webkit Bugzilla
Holy sh*t, why am I seeing this only now? I knew something was up. I wonder why it stayed unadressed since then. I am going out on a limb here but it may be in Apple's favor to just have the user go the "easy route" and access all their passwords via the keychain rather than using 3rd party apps. After all, having your password in the clipboard can be a security risk too...I still like to have a choice

Dann3

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2020
Holy sh*t, why am I seeing this only now? I knew something was up. I wonder why it stayed unadressed since then. I am going out on a limb here but it may be in Apple's favor to just have the user go the "easy route" and access all their passwords via the keychain rather than using 3rd party apps. After all, having your password in the clipboard can be a security risk too...I still like to have a choice

I copy advanced passwords to keep them temporarily until I’m sure Apples keychain saves it. Which is not always the case. Apple even made it easier to copy them during password creation.

I wonder if anyone knows what the reply from the developer is/was referring to?

attroamlo

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
Hmm. Well, it’s not happening with my iPhone 15 Pro iOS 17.4 set to USA English. Also not happening on my iPad mini 6, iPadOS 17.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.