Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I just wanted to say thank you for the ignore functionality. It makes the site a much more pleasant place to visit.

Is it true, as someone told me, that there is a 1000 person limit for ignoring? If so, are there any plans to increase this limit? Also—is there a way to see how many people I've ignored, or view a list to see if I can remove people who have been banned or are no longer active on the site? Thanks.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Press your user icon, tap “People you Ignore”. That’ll give you the list but doesn’t number how many there are.

Yeah IIRC there’s a 1000 person ignore limit. Not enough but hey.

There’s no way to auto remove users who have been permabanned from MR, though who in their right mind wants to see Benjamin Frost popping up if you ever find yourself on a legacy thread.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Press your user icon, tap “People you Ignore”. That’ll give you the list but doesn’t number how many there are.

Yeah IIRC there’s a 1000 person ignore limit. Not enough but hey.

There’s no way to auto remove users who have been permabanned from MR, though who in their right mind wants to see Benjamin Frost popping up if you ever find yourself on a legacy thread.
LOL. I haven't heard that name in a while. Thanks for the tip. I honestly didn't expect it to exist. I don't use that menu much—I primarily use the one clicking on my own avatar in a thread. That's actually what I tried to do at first when following your instructions, lol. Lots of links in there!

The number of people I have ignored is actually a lot lower than I thought. Guess I need to not be worried about using it more and just go crazy!

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
LOL. I haven't heard that name in a while. Thanks for the tip. I honestly didn't expect it to exist. I don't use that menu much—I primarily use the one clicking on my own avatar in a thread. That's actually what I tried to do at first when following your instructions, lol. Lots of links in there!

The number of people I have ignored is actually a lot lower than I thought. Guess I need to not be worried about using it more and just go crazy!

My list is quite short too, and I agree that it makes the place a lot more serene. I’m very careful not to use it just because I don’t agree with someone or vice versa (the notion puts me in mind of the episode of Black Mirror, Arkangel). There are quite a number of people I either mostly or always disagree with but don’t block because either they sometimes say something interesting, or they at least engage in actual conversation. Best reserved for the unusually aggressive, those unwilling to engage in conversation, or the "one issue" posters imo.

Of course this reply is assuming you haven't put me on ignore ;)

Reactions: macduke and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My list is quite short too, and I agree that it makes the place a lot more serene. I’m very careful not to use it just because I don’t agree with someone or vice versa (the notion puts me in mind of the episode of Black Mirror, Arkangel). There are quite a number of people I either mostly or always disagree with but don’t block because either they sometimes say something interesting, or they at least engage in actual conversation. Best reserved for the unusually aggressive, those unwilling to engage in conversation, or the "one issue" posters imo.

I don’t use it at all, mostly skip over posters whereby there is no conversation to be had.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Haven't had to use the ignore feature yet. Then again, I haven't been on the site for more than a year.

But being able to never see posts by people who are negative is an amazing ability to have.

Reactions: macduke

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden

Ignoring people is a very good functionality, totally agree.
Can improve though, we may not at all be interested to see that they have posted in a thread either, their avatars are visible on New Posts and Watched Threads.

Wouldn’t ignore people either for different opinions.
But lack of respect, misbehavior or a general bad tone and just a lot of rant, don’t makes me hesitate a minute to push that Ignore.
Sure we can just skip over it, but I prefer to sort out communication that doesn’t add anything for me.

Saves time to what we care for and value instead, online and in life in general.

Reactions: Jayderek and I7guy

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I have only ignored one person.

Last edited by a moderator:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don’t use it at all, mostly skip over posters whereby there is no conversation to be had.

Same, zero people on my ignore list. I'm already conditioned to ignore (or not engage) people out here in the real world ;) I use the same technique online - also see below ...

I have never ignored anyone. Seems like it could make the conversation hard to follow if numerous posts are missing.

Yeah, I kind of dislike how it chops up the continuity of a thread, or creates redundant posts (like multiple people posting the same thing because people are all "cross ignored"). It also irks me a bit that someone can ignore the originator of a thread, i.e., you want to participate in my topic, you should have to read my posts :D

But, if a 1,000 person limit is not enough, it seems like the problem might not be everyone else...

I was thinking the same thing, wow, 1,000 might not be enough ignore slots? Hahaha, every thread would be like a ghost town!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have only ignored one person.

Your ignore total is one more than mine :).

I'm glad the function is available but I can't see needing it.
[doublepost=1536838276][/doublepost]
But, if a 1,000 person limit is not enough, it seems like the problem might not be everyone else...

Some people like an echo chamber where everyone agrees with them.

Reactions: Falhófnir
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.