Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1jimmymac64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Good thing I kept my desktop PC. The mac that I worked and saved so hard to buy is now obsolete - after 2 weeks of use! It's all coming back to me why I stayed away from Apple products and endured open architecture Windows machines for so long. I'm too poor to be buying a new machine every couple months. Didn't the Apple web site just extol the virtues of the 'new mini' a few weeks ago? This is ridiculous. So for $100 more, the same price I paid to put in a extra gb of memory, I would have gotten a faster Core2 Duo processor, HDMI, better/faster video, a hard drive twice the size and the ABILITY TO UPGRADE THE RAM WITHOUT BLEEDING BULLETS AND VOIDING MY WARRANTY. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't sell my Windows box.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
2 weeks... is that not still iside the 14 day return window????

Take it back.

When did you receive it? I think there is a policy that if Apple release new hardware within 10 days of receipt of the old hardware that you can swap it no questins asked.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
1. Your mini is no where near obsolete. It has the same technology in it that it had when you bought it.

2. You might have some luck exchanging it. If you got it from Apple I believe you have 14 days. Other retailers sometimes give you 30 days.

3. Windows machines update as well.

4. Would you rather Apple never update their products?

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Your machine is the same as when you bought it. Believe it or not, Steve didn't come to your house and suddenly take parts out of it so it doesn't work. Stuff gets upgraded, especially in this industry.

Yes it sucks to buy stuff right before a refresh, but it wasn't as if a refresh wasn't anticipated soon. This site has good buyer's guides, they are there for a reason.

Either way you are right on the fringe of the return window, better run to a Apple store today.

1jimmymac64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1. Your mini is no where near obsolete. It has the same technology in it that it had when you bought it.

2. You might have some luck exchanging it. If you got it from Apple I believe you have 14 days. Other retailers sometimes give you 30 days.

3. Windows machines update as well.

4. Would you rather Apple never update their products?

I I would have had SOME indication they were ready to update the mini, I would have hung onto my money for another 2 weeks.

Also, Windows boxes DO update. The difference is, I can open up the system case, remove what I need to upgrade, insert said new hardware, close the case and power up.

I KNEW this getting into the mac world, however, 2 weeks? The hassle of re-opening my mini, removing the $100 stick of RAM, transferring my files, returning the RAM and the CPU could have been avoided if there was some indication of new hardware coming down the pike. I'm pretty PO'ed, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who is. Just let me vent please! :)

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I'd be madder if I just bought an iPhone 3G.

I had a G4 mac mini for 5 years. It did me well and when i sold it a couple of months ago, it only lost £240 of it's value.

You could probably sell it if you really hate it now.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
Well, you have been posting in the Mini forums since May...wasn't one about how you were going to get a G5 because the G4 impressed you so much...so it's not like there haven't been tons of threads about the imminent Mini speed bump. Uncle Steve is hardly to blame.

I'd check into returning it. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask, depending on where you bought it.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Apple released a new mini!!!!! My 15 month old mini is now........ wait it still runs perfectly and is not obsolete. Nevermind.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
I thought apple had a policy on those types of things. You should be able to return it for full price and get the new model-- will probably have to pay the extra money for the additional cost of the new model, though.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
8 months since the last mini refresh and you didn't have the slightest inkling that it would be updated soon? perhaps a little due diligence next time will save you time and money, like everything else in life.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Cry me a river.

It's so much easier to come to an Apple forum to complain rather than admit you didn't do your homework before you purchased.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
...Just let me vent please! :)

No problem. But I'd take it back to the store and plead my case - even if it's a little outside the return window. They might cut you some slack.

And anyway, the new ones cost more, don't they? So Apple's going to be happy extracting more cash from you and your old one will sell as a refurb (which is probably what would've happened to it anyway if you hadn't bought it and it just sat on the shelf and became obsolete). Nobody loses.

Worth a shot, yes? The new model looks pretty nice.

SDRacerR1

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
I I would have had SOME indication they were ready to update the mini, I would have hung onto my money for another 2 weeks.

Let's see numerous threads on MR about possible updates starting months ago, and WWDC was a week ago!!! So you bought it a week before that??? That's one huge possible INDICATION...

Understand you want to rant, but get over it and def don't blame apple and make it seem like it's there fault for your inability to do some research!!!

Plus...besides the new design your Mini is not obsolete at the least bit...

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Ok, well I'm not going to make any snide remarks about complaining about a new release.

I will say that although the new Mini is nice, it is really not that much of an upgrade. The integrated video card is the biggest deal, but in the grand scheme of things still not really huge. I'm thinking the next Mini, if it gets updated, will be a considerable upgrade - but only time will tell.

I can understand the feeling of buying something towards the end of its production, and being surprised by a new release. Really, I do understand. But also consider that there are just as many people here who are glad that they purchased their Mini only a few weeks ago. They paid $100 less, and can upgrade (or replace in the case of failure) their hard drive - where I'm not sure if you can do that on the new one. The processor upgrade on the new version, will be undetectable by an end user in comparison to the processor you have.

I'm kind of bummed about the $100 price increase. If you are looking at price points between products, $599 for a 2GB RAM machine without keyboard, mouse and monitor is more appealing than the same situation at $699. If I get a Mini, its going to be the Mini Server. I just can't see the value in ordering the base Mini right now. If the hard drives are impossible to get at, though, it might be a deal breaker for me - and I just might be shopping for the same Mini that you are calling obsolete.

Your Mini is a great machine, and when it is really considered obsolete and unusable, so will this latest version.

Relax and enjoy your new Mini :)

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Unless you plan on using it in an HTPC application, where HDMI is extremely helpful, there is no significant difference from the old model to the new model.

I'd be happy you got it for $100 less.

If you're a fan of the new look, I'd suggest contacting the Apple Store and seeing what you can do. You may be subject to a restocking fee.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
If it really is only 2 weeks old, you can exchange it for the new one without a restocking fee. You scored! Also, the apple store is pretty good about support - they'll probably let you bring your old mini in, do the exchange, and do an account migration at the genius bar, which means all you have to do is spend 5 minutes taking your RAM out, and an hour at the apple store while your account migrates over FireWire800. No big deal, dude!

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
As soon as it got updated after gazillion years with a nice 9400M and a nice double video output (Mini-DP+Mini-DVI), I IMMEDIATLY bought the March 2009 new Mini. So I enjoyed the whole 15-months 9400M age, nothing to complain. Plus, I got an 8gb-capable machine anyway. I've got the video connection of the future (minus auido), i.e. DisplayPort up to 2560x1600. And I got FW800 e 2 internal SATA II. My 9400M is supported by OpenCL and the h.264 hw-acceleration API. No problems really this time.

It's a bit different from 2006-2007 mac upgrades, like "omg I'm stuck to 3gb of ram", "omg my internal ODD is PATA", "omg I've got fw400 instead of fw800", "omg my GPU is not supported by SnowLeopard cool features", "omg i got a rotten intel GMA950", etc. Nothing like that.

It would have suck a bit if the new Mini was 16gb-capable (like even the low-end 21" iMacs) or got USB 3.0.

Anyway, HDMI and 320M make for a better HTPC. Because HDMI is the only way to output DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD and 7.1 lossless PCM. But I'm good with standard 5.1/6.1 DTS/Dolby audio via Toslink. It's not like I'm an audiophile or got a thousands dollar system.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
So you did absolutely no research and now are pissed that you bought something that was horribly outdated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.