Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Go get your mac mini exchanged! You get 30 days when a new updated product comes out for you to exchange.

This is what I did with my 15" macbook pro when the i7s were released. I took it back on the 4th week and got it exchanged for the 17" macbook pro i7 without paying any restocking fee.

Trust me your going to want to exchange for the new mac mini. The nvidia 320m is MUCH faster than the 9400m (I had the 9400m mac mini before as well too and some 10gb+ mkv files stutter even in plex) now the 320m has no problems playing ANYTHING!

Basically to give you an idea how fast the 320m is, the nvidia 9400m scores 1800 on the 3dmark06 at the highest while the 320m scores 4600! Now THATS a huge difference. And it definitely shows in real world usage.

Meh. I bought 7 of the little SOBs last week. They arrived today.

I knew a refresh was imminent. But I had a job to do, and the specs of the mini, at the time I ordered them, were more than sufficient for the tasks required.

Now the mini has been refreshed. That did not change the job I need to do, nor did it change the ability of the computers I ordered to do that job.

In other words, nothing has changed. I ordered what I needed, I got what I ordered.

So did you.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
If the 30 day window is true I'd definitely go and exchange it

The 30 day window period is definitely true. Because I went to the memorial mall apple store the day the i7s were released but they werent available for sale that early morning and they told me that I could exchange it because the 30 day new product update policy was real (I wasnt so sure at that time and thought it was only a rumor).

So I call the galleria mall with another Apple store (which they had the i7s in stock) so I went there which they also told me about the 30 days to exchange once a product gets updated policy. Just go man I'm 100% sure you will get your exchange with no problems.

:)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
just exchanged mine this morning.
1.Bought mac mini on the 4th
2.On apple.com to order new iphone, saw new mac mini
3. Said Sonuva.....!!
4.Packed MacMini back in box and went to the apple store
5.Exchanged and was walking out the door within 15 minutes, no restock, no questions. Just alot of the apple guys wow'ing over how much thinner it was than the old one.

It really was a very simple process.
Also not very obsolete, it now has an upgraded integrated nvidia video, 1 less USB port, base model CPU jumped from 2.26 to 2.4, oh i don't HAVE to use the minidisplay-to-HDMI adapter and the SD card slot which I'll never use on the mini.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Good thing I kept my desktop PC. The mac that I worked and saved so hard to buy is now obsolete - after 2 weeks of use! It's all coming back to me why I stayed away from Apple products and endured open architecture Windows machines for so long. I'm too poor to be buying a new machine every couple months. Didn't the Apple web site just extol the virtues of the 'new mini' a few weeks ago? This is ridiculous. So for $100 more, the same price I paid to put in a extra gb of memory, I would have gotten a faster Core2 Duo processor, HDMI, better/faster video, a hard drive twice the size and the ABILITY TO UPGRADE THE RAM WITHOUT BLEEDING BULLETS AND VOIDING MY WARRANTY. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't sell my Windows box.

Firstly, your Mini hardly obsolete compared to the new version. The only difference is the GPU really. Secondly, we have been piping for weeks that the new Mini was going to appear at WWDC or the week after. You also have the buyer's guide here in MacRumors telling you the Mini was ripe for a refresh.

If you cannot put 2+2 together, go ahead and purchase one and then cry because Apple releases the new one it is hard to feel sorry for you.

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
your silly!
in no way is your old mini obsolete.
but i do see why you would be annoyed.
you really should have researched the mini a bit before you bought it.
just go to the apple store and complain like hell.
its not steve's prob you bought your mini when you did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.