Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
MacOS does not work as simply as you make it sound.. It requires just as much effort as Windows 10 and MacOS has it's own set of problems just as Windows and Linux does... Linux, once setup properly, is error and trouble free for the most part if you are using an LTS version..

Had you not nuked Windows and if you had did a dual boot, you would have been back up and running in about 5 minutes with Ubuntu removed, the disk space reclaimed and GRUB removed..

Mac OSX works entirely as easy as I make it sound.

And for every issue a new user might have there's easy to understand well documented solutions by Apple awaiting them. All I ever found from Microsoft was various forums with no answers to the problem.

As for the small glitches and bugs on OSX they do exist of course but it's never been too long before they were fixed in my experience.

And I know so many people on the Mac who are idiots in many regards and never need to think twice about the computer. Still boots in seconds. Content well managed. Superficially messy desktop but technically under the hood the OS avoids issues without needing a degree.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016

And for every issue a new user might have there's easy to understand well documented solutions by Apple awaiting them. All I ever found from Microsoft was various forums with no answers to the problem.

As for the small glitches and bugs on OSX they do exist of course but it's never been too long before they were fixed in my experience.

And I know so many people on the Mac who are idiots in many regards and never need to think twice about the computer. Still boots in seconds. Content well managed. Superficially messy desktop but technically under the hood the OS avoids issues without needing a degree.

Okie dokie.... If you say so..

Have a good one and good luck with the sale of the PC..

Reactions: 0989383

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I'm quite aware of what Linux is and I know it's not bad by any account, but I can't see it doing as smooth a job as the Mac any better than Windows. At least Windows works with a lot of things: programmes, games etc. Even if it is a lousy experience.

I've sat on this ThinkPad all morning trying to come to a final decision. It's a stunning, beautifully designed piece of hardware in my eyes. The specs are perfect. The design and feel of it is just excellent. I really don't want to part with the device. It's just Windows!!! It IS that bad in my eyes. And I'll stop complaining without giving good reason. Here's todays complaints alone...

Crappy recovery method.. had to use a friends Mac to actually burn a bootable Windows disk to reinstall it.. on the Mac, a hard wired online recovery option is there.. Would it kill Microsoft to adopt something like that?..

I get Windows installed again.. ages and ages of waiting screens. Then this Cortana crap, constantly trying to BS me into letting them stalk me and track me.. Hiding the offline account option. Fair enough, I sign in this time.

Have to go to Lenovo's site to redownload drivers.. before I can run their Companion app .net frameworks, and other plugins.. multiple restarts. THEN, tonnes of updates / drivers / CRAPWARE that Lenovo don't need to.. but choose to provide..

Trying to reinstall all the software I use. Yet the downloader is plagues with downloading things like 'drawPDF' and 'Candy Crush' etc.. Why the hell do I need it? It's slowing down the installation of what I actually want to install.

Constant crap from Cortana about access to the mic.. notifications about OneDrive regardless of the fact I didn't opt to use it. Windows Defender telling me my computer is at risk because I have full brightness on.

Try to do an initial backup onto my 500GB external hard drive. At about 72% every time it says 'Backup failed.' and no explanation or next step.

I installed Office. Now I have two versions of Skype and OneNote - one useful, great apps as part of Office 365.. the other some dumb, laggy and unstable touch based app - the crappy ones can't be uninstalled. When you do uninstall them via PowerShell.. they're back within two weeks.

You know, every time I TRY to love Windows and use this computer I'm bitterly disappointed. I know you guys think I'm just some idiot who buys things, gives them 5 minutes and dismisses them as the worst but that's totally not the case here. I've tried to get used to Windows, but it's always reminding me of how hopeless it is vs. my memories of the Mac.

The iPad is far from a perfect desktop replacement. But at least what it does do for me, it does well. As much as I like having the niche desktop class apps like Handbrake, Torrent downloading etc it's all just a joke on Windows 10.

This beautiful keyboard which is sheer pleasure to type on - even vs. a 2016 MBP w/TB - the nice, clear 1080p antiglare screen and cool fingerprint reader for login is all to waste with Windows 10.

Windows 10: It just about, in the end, after workarounds, does the job. Sometimes well, most of the time satisfactorily.

To anyone out there with a Mac who is feeling 'bored' or like Windows is their next device choice.. PLEASE READ THIS WITH CARE. You'll regret it. So much. It's fine if you have the choice of both, but far off fields appear greener than they are and Windows is NOT up to the standard expected by the Mac user.

Hence why I'm committing to selling this, hopefully making a minimal loss and never envying a single Windows user again. Not with a Surface Book. Not with a Dell XPS. Not with an HP Envy or X1 Carbon. I can only imagine it's like owning a Lamborghini without the ability to drive.. sure you've got it all but I feel like I'd have to be deluded to pretend it is a good experience.
OP...it has been a wild ride for you :) And to be honest, it was totally worth it for you cause now you know!

Just to address a few points:
- Recovery: I actually like Windows recovery options better than Mac's. For e.g., have you ever tried to restore a Mac via a Time Machine backup? First of all, time machine backups are not bootable. Second, it takes ages to recover your machine from a TM backup. In fact, on the Mac, Carbon Copy cloner (paid) is a lot better. Bootable and quick recovery. Thirdly, Apple stores it in some proprietary format. I have lost more than a few time machine backups because of some kind of corruption. No idea why. So I just don't trust it anymore.

In Windows, the imaging functionality Carbon Cloner provides is built in. File History provides versioned files. Plenty of quality shareware (like Veeam) that do an even better job.

- Microsoft's spying is bad. No other way around it. You can reduce the spying by using an offline account and by not using Cortana.

- For all the crap-ware Microsoft pushes at you, you will have to make a regedit to prevent that from happening. Ideally, we would not want to be doing this but well....to me it is better than entertaining Apple's greed. But yes, Microsoft really sucks at this! Installing this crap is fine...but r-installing after I deleted them!!!! Argh!

This was always between choosing a rock and a hard place. Pros and cons on either side. OSX, legally, on a Thinkpad would have been the best! The iPad is a great device. No other tablet comes close IMO. If your workflow sits on it, more power to you.

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
OP...it has been a wild ride for you :) And to be honest, it was totally worth it for you cause now you know!

Just to address a few points:
- Recovery: I actually like Windows recovery options better than Mac's. For e.g., have you ever tried to restore a Mac via a Time Machine backup? First of all, time machine backups are not bootable. Second, it takes ages to recover your machine from a TM backup. In fact, on the Mac, Carbon Copy cloner (paid) is a lot better. Bootable and quick recovery. Thirdly, Apple stores it in some proprietary format. I have lost more than a few time machine backups because of some kind of corruption. No idea why. So I just don't trust it anymore.

In Windows, the imaging functionality Carbon Cloner provides is built in. File History provides versioned files. Plenty of quality shareware (like Veeam) that do an even better job.

- Microsoft's spying is bad. No other way around it. You can reduce the spying by using an offline account and by not using Cortana.

- For all the crap-ware Microsoft pushes at you, you will have to make a regedit to prevent that from happening. Ideally, we would not want to be doing this but well....to me it is better than entertaining Apple's greed. But yes, Microsoft really sucks at this! Installing this crap is fine...but r-installing after I deleted them!!!! Argh!

This was always between choosing a rock and a hard place. Pros and cons on either side. OSX, legally, on a Thinkpad would have been the best! The iPad is a great device. No other tablet comes close IMO. If your workflow sits on it, more power to you.

That's it. I will almost certainly make a marginal loss on the ThinkPad and I am sad to see it go, but for today I've spent hours really taking a hard look at Windows 10 trying to convince myself to keep it but couldn't.

The iPad works for me because of my basic requirements. I'm not a programmer, movie editor or big torrent downloader. Not anymore, and I don't think I ever will be having started university, and with subscription services like Netflix and Apple Music being so cheap personally I find no reason to download content via torrents anymore! I know I'm trapped in Apple's marketing crap but to me it really does make a difference, the seamlessness.

I never had issues with Time Machine over the years, but I fully feel your pain of corrupted HDD drives and issues along those lines that really screw us over from time to time!

I still can't afford a Mac, but having had months to get used to Windows and depend on the iPad Air 2 I think, as you said, I now know from experience that I'm making a right choice.

Perhaps when others read this with the advent of iOS 11 they may come to the same conclusion?!

Thanks for your help and responses as well, greatly appreciated

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
SB-MBP, you can always get a cheap mac mini for 399 and stick an SSD in it. It will still be quite slow (the 599 model with an SSD is really quite nice), but it's SOMETHING. if you're really budget constrained anyway.

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
SB-MBP, you can always get a cheap mac mini for 399 and stick an SSD in it. It will still be quite slow (the 599 model with an SSD is really quite nice), but it's SOMETHING. if you're really budget constrained anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I considered a Mac Mini and even budget build PCs early on in my search but decided I couldn't move from laptop-around-the-house to being stuck in my room all day. Despite the superior comfort of a desktop.

Then I factored in a good keyboard / mouse / display / desk / chair and it quickly stacked up to refurbished MacBook money.

The Mac Mini looks great though, it'd be my desktop of choice for my needs!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Just want to say; I moved my 13" computing solution to Windows 10, subsequently have never looked back. W10 has proved to be both more stable & flexible than OS X, as a direct result I am now more productive, reaping the benefits as my systems are a direct component of revenue.

There is a lot in W10 that requires a learning curve as Windows is a highly complex OS, nor is it always user friendly or forgiving. That said it can and does perform at the highest levels. I have never seen or experienced a failure of either backup system (yes I test them) disk image & file. Users need to understand the difference between universal App's and the desktop App's, as is significant.

I ceased to use Apple and the MBP as simply Apple stopped evolving, focusing ever more & more on the base consumer, with a basic clamshell paradigm. My 13" W10 class notebook is more productive, offers far more usability, has generated over 80 times it's purchase price in 3/4 months of professorial use, with this being a "Net" figure...

Microsoft, it's not perfect by any means, equally Microsoft is working on it and delivering. If your prepared to do your homework it can and most definitely does pay dividends.

I am very disappointed in Apple's direction with the Mac. All power to Apple as they are without any doubts on track for the stockholder (Thx Tim), however despite Apple's astonishing success they have lost sight of their core Mac user base, no longer understanding our needs, focusing on "thin & light" at all costs, wowing the consumer, not impressing the professional, locked in and locked out if you will...

FWIW 20+ with the Mac...

Q-6

I'm quite aware of what Linux is and I know it's not bad by any account, but I can't see it doing as smooth a job as the Mac any better than Windows. At least Windows works with a lot of things: programmes, games etc. Even if it is a lousy experience.

I've sat on this ThinkPad all morning trying to come to a final decision. It's a stunning, beautifully designed piece of hardware in my eyes. The specs are perfect. The design and feel of it is just excellent. I really don't want to part with the device. It's just Windows!!! It IS that bad in my eyes. And I'll stop complaining without giving good reason. Here's todays complaints alone...

Crappy recovery method.. had to use a friends Mac to actually burn a bootable Windows disk to reinstall it.. on the Mac, a hard wired online recovery option is there.. Would it kill Microsoft to adopt something like that?..

I get Windows installed again.. ages and ages of waiting screens. Then this Cortana crap, constantly trying to BS me into letting them stalk me and track me.. Hiding the offline account option. Fair enough, I sign in this time.

Have to go to Lenovo's site to redownload drivers.. before I can run their Companion app .net frameworks, and other plugins.. multiple restarts. THEN, tonnes of updates / drivers / CRAPWARE that Lenovo don't need to.. but choose to provide..

Trying to reinstall all the software I use. Yet the downloader is plagues with downloading things like 'drawPDF' and 'Candy Crush' etc.. Why the hell do I need it? It's slowing down the installation of what I actually want to install.

Constant crap from Cortana about access to the mic.. notifications about OneDrive regardless of the fact I didn't opt to use it. Windows Defender telling me my computer is at risk because I have full brightness on.

Try to do an initial backup onto my 500GB external hard drive. At about 72% every time it says 'Backup failed.' and no explanation or next step.

I installed Office. Now I have two versions of Skype and OneNote - one useful, great apps as part of Office 365.. the other some dumb, laggy and unstable touch based app - the crappy ones can't be uninstalled. When you do uninstall them via PowerShell.. they're back within two weeks.

You know, every time I TRY to love Windows and use this computer I'm bitterly disappointed. I know you guys think I'm just some idiot who buys things, gives them 5 minutes and dismisses them as the worst but that's totally not the case here. I've tried to get used to Windows, but it's always reminding me of how hopeless it is vs. my memories of the Mac.

The iPad is far from a perfect desktop replacement. But at least what it does do for me, it does well. As much as I like having the niche desktop class apps like Handbrake, Torrent downloading etc it's all just a joke on Windows 10.

This beautiful keyboard which is sheer pleasure to type on - even vs. a 2016 MBP w/TB - the nice, clear 1080p antiglare screen and cool fingerprint reader for login is all to waste with Windows 10.

Windows 10: It just about, in the end, after workarounds, does the job. Sometimes well, most of the time satisfactorily.

To anyone out there with a Mac who is feeling 'bored' or like Windows is their next device choice.. PLEASE READ THIS WITH CARE. You'll regret it. So much. It's fine if you have the choice of both, but far off fields appear greener than they are and Windows is NOT up to the standard expected by the Mac user.

Hence why I'm committing to selling this, hopefully making a minimal loss and never envying a single Windows user again. Not with a Surface Book. Not with a Dell XPS. Not with an HP Envy or X1 Carbon. I can only imagine it's like owning a Lamborghini without the ability to drive.. sure you've got it all but I feel like I'd have to be deluded to pretend it is a good experience.

Queen6

macrumors G4
At home my Mac's rarely present issue, equally once on a project they have never been more unstable. It's like Apple decided 80% is just ok. Good enough for FaceBook, Twitter, YouTube etc. My W10 primary has never crashed or locked up, nor am I the biggest fan of Microsoft, equally credit where credit is due.

Used to be a time where OS X could be up for literally hundreds of days with no issue, my expectation today is 5-7 at very best. My W10 primary, still waiting over six months in, hardly a glitch. I may may not dig the confused UI, although Microsoft is heading in a good direction. What I do dig is the revenue this notebook generates.

In all fairness it does take a level of knowledge to get the best out of W10, right now for me it's by far the more stable & productive OS, just how it is...

Q-6

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Just want to say; I moved my 13" computing solution to Windows 10, subsequently have never looked back. W10 has proved to be both more stable & flexible than OS X, as a direct result I am now more productive, reaping the benefits as my systems are a direct component of revenue.

There is a lot in W10 that requires a learning curve as Windows is a highly complex OS, nor is it always user friendly or forgiving. That said it can and does perform at the highest levels. I have never seen or experienced a failure of either backup system (yes I test them) disk image & file. Users need to understand the difference between universal App's and the desktop App's, as is significant.

I ceased to use Apple and the MBP as simply Apple stopped evolving, focusing ever more & more on the base consumer, with a basic clamshell paradigm. My 13" W10 class notebook is more productive, offers far more usability, has generated over 80 times it's purchase price in 3/4 months of professorial use, with this being a "Net" figure...

Microsoft, it's not perfect by any means, equally Microsoft is working on it and delivering. If your prepared to do your homework it can and most definitely does pay dividends.

I am very disappointed in Apple's direction with the Mac. All power to Apple as they are without any doubts on track for the stockholder (Thx Tim), however despite Apple's astonishing success they have lost sight of their core Mac user base, no longer understanding our needs, focusing on "thin & light" at all costs, wowing the consumer, not impressing the professional, locked in and locked out if you will...

FWIW 20+ with the Mac...

Q-6

I completely agree.. Windows has come a long ways. It still has a bad rap from Vista, Win 8 and Win 8.1 and the haters still use those old OS's when they decide to bash it. Windows 10 is actually pretty darn good! As a matter of fact, I find myself booting to my Windows 10 partition lately more than I do to my Linux partition..

Out of the box, Windows 10 is actually pretty user friendly but of course anything other than basic usage does require beating it into compliance. This can all be accomplished fairly fast however and might require a few hours of the users time. Once beaten, it's trouble and error free for the most part..

Apple is making some very bad decisions in my mind.. Mega companies have folded before and while I am not saying Apple will suffer the same fate, they had better be careful how they move forward.. Sure frothing at the mouth Apple fans will buy anything but when long time users start to make the exodus, that's not a good sign.

I was a long time Apple fan. Heck for a while I was even a frothing at the mouth one but not anymore. I've decided I am done with Apple unless things change. PC and Android phones for me.. PC's have caught up and actually passed Mac and Android's offer so much ore than the iPhone. The iPhone is moving in the direction of teenagers and the Macbook are headed towards the Starbucks fashion conscious crowd..

I would not be the least bit surprised if in the next few years Apple does away with the Mac's all together. They want people to buy and use the iPad as a PC. And while that's a great option for some, many would not be able to make due with a mobileOS...

It will be interesting to see how the iPad development continues and the further it gets to blurring the lines between iOS and MacOS, the closer we are to the Mac getting the axe...

My .02

Reactions: Queen6

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
I completely agree.. Windows has come a long ways. It still has a bad rap from Vista, Win 8 and Win 8.1 and the haters still use those old OS's when they decide to bash it. Windows 10 is actually pretty darn good! As a matter of fact, I find myself booting to my Windows 10 partition lately more than I do to my Linux partition..

Out of the box, Windows 10 is actually pretty user friendly but of course anything other than basic usage does require beating it into compliance. This can all be accomplished fairly fast however and might require a few hours of the users time. Once beaten, it's trouble and error free for the most part..

Apple is making some very bad decisions in my mind.. Mega companies have folded before and while I am not saying Apple will suffer the same fate, they had better be careful how they move forward.. Sure frothing at the mouth Apple fans will buy anything but when long time users start to make the exodus, that's not a good sign.

I was a long time Apple fan. Heck for a while I was even a frothing at the mouth one but not anymore. I've decided I am done with Apple unless things change. PC and Android phones for me.. PC's have caught up and actually passed Mac and Android's offer so much ore than the iPhone. The iPhone is moving in the direction of teenagers and the Macbook are headed towards the Starbucks fashion conscious crowd..

I would not be the least bit surprised if in the next few years Apple does away with the Mac's all together. They want people to buy and use the iPad as a PC. And while that's a great option for some, many would not be able to make due with a mobileOS...

It will be interesting to see how the iPad development continues and the further it gets to blurring the lines between iOS and MacOS, the closer we are to the Mac getting the axe...

My .02

Windows 7 was pretty damn good.

Windows 10 is less of a mess than 8 / 8.1 but if you think Apple made a mess with the whole iOS apps on OSX then Microsoft really have screwed up.

Not a single one of those touch UI apps is useful and barely works how it should. And I can give countless examples that exist right now on the latest release of W10

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Not a single one of those touch UI apps is useful and barely works how it should. And I can give countless examples that exist right now on the latest release of W10

For every example you can give on Windows, I can give you one that exists on Mac.. For every instance you can mention about Windows 10, I can give you an iPad limitation when trying to use it as a PC..

If you think iOS is so rock solid then I hate to break the news to you but take a look at the crash logs on your iPad.. Depending on how long you've had it, you might have hundreds or even thousands of crashes in that log.. Just because you don't physically see an app crash does not mean it's not happening..

Touch? Meh, don't use it nor care for it on a PC and FWIW, Apple does not have touch on Mac. The gimmick they call the TB has been tried and failed a few times in the past. Yeah, shocker I know to think that Apple didn't actually invent or innovate the TB...

Last edited:
Reactions: macjunk(ie)

Queen6

macrumors G4

My .02

Don't see Apple dropping the Mac, as they would simply take too much heat. I do think some aspects of Apple would like to put it to bed so to speak. Apple is without a doubt pushing itself more as a lifestyle provider and heading to the mid-ground with their hardware. This is abundantly clear with the rMB and now MBP.

iPad is definitely something Apple is intent on selling as a computer replacement and for some no doubt it works. For Apple likely much cheaper to design and produce and ultimately better margins. Irrelevant to myself as I require a full desktop OS with only Windows & macOS being the realistic options.

In many respects I don't blame Apple as they themselves admit that only 15% of their Mac user base is professionals. That said the options outside of apple have never been better, both on the hardware and software side. Anyway for me if Apple was producing the best product for my needs I would be using it now as the cost is not an issue. I may revisit the 15" MBP, however I still feel it's too compromised for my needs, although it does tick some boxes that I like.

Windows 10 for the most part I am enjoying it as it doesn't give me any issues, although I believe it works best with a good 2 in 1 and certainly more productivity focused than macOS of late. Certainly now considering the up coming Surface Pro after the experience with Surface Book, looks to me to be an ideal replacement for my outgoing rMB being more powerful and offering a huge uplift in usability. I hope the battery life is significantly improved as that was always my one stumbling block the SP4.

Q-6

Reactions: raqball

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
The Mac has it's issues, it's not immune or 'perfect'. But it's still 100 times better in my book. And I'm hyper-aware of the iPad's issues as a main PC, I'm under no illusion that those problems don't exist.

And some apps crash when it runs out of memory - annoying and hateful yes. BUT, here's the thing, when those apps do work - and they don't crash very often to the point where I can't depend on them. They actually work as intended. My content is safe. On Windows, some app controls simply do not work. Toggling them does nothing. You set it up, and each time you open it it's wasting your time by reprocessing the incorrect preference. Try it on Windows 10 photos, it's by far the worst.

That's the thing, I don't care about touch either. I especially got my ThinkPad because it was a great example of a standard notebook, nice screen and keyboard. No touch nonsense. If only Microsoft would understand that too and issue a tablet only release of Windows 10 with the touch apps, and bring back more conventional - boring but capable - apps like the old Windows Live Photo Manager. Even it did a better job than the current mess. At least giving us the option to uninstall these apps without needing workarounds.

Apple certainly didn't invent that concept and I'm not sold on it myself. Not for an extra £300 at least! I prefer the buttons. Lenovo had a similar feature if I recall but ditched it. But Apple aren't the first to do anything. They weren't the first to release a smartphone, or a tablet.. or a watch.. but they're sure as hell doing the best at it commercially. I can't see the TouchBar being a runaway success, but like many things Apple do it's pretty cool and clearly at its price, there's enough people out there to make it worth their while.
[doublepost=1497290608][/doublepost]Something I truly loved about Windows was the Office Apps. They're perfection and Microsoft has a true gem of an asset in them. If only their software team on the whole for W10 could work to that standard.. then Apple would be in trouble.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Don't see Apple dropping the Mac, as they would simply take too much heat.

Oh they'll just say it takes courage to drop the Mac line... :D

People will be upset but the foaming at the mouths will run out and buy the maciPad as soon as it released... :p

If they were to put MacOS on a iPad I'd pay attention.. As long as the iPad rocks a mobileOS it's a non starter for me.. Maybe as a toy but not much else.

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
I don't think they'll ever dump Mac OS on the iPad. With Windows 10 being a great example of why.

I think they'll gradually make iOS for iPad much much more like MacOS until it's functionally the same but a bit more 'idiot proof' than a full desktop OS.

In my opinion, if it can do the tasks we need from our computers as well through better apps in the coming years and no black spots then I'm all for it to be honest. Just hope the price of iPads stays relatively low.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I don't think they'll ever dump Mac OS on the iPad. With Windows 10 being a great example of why.

Huh? This comment would have made sense with Windows 8 but not with Windows 10... If you have a clamshell Win 10 machine then touch works perfectly as it should. If you have a 2 in 1 then there is nothing that forces you into tablet mode..

I agree tablet mode is terrible but there is nothing on Win 10 that forces you to use it... Even on a 2 in 1 when it's converted to use as a tablet you can rock it in desktop mode and touch works as it should..

Queen6

macrumors G4
Oh they'll just say it takes courage to drop the Mac line... :D

People will be upset but the foaming at the mouths will run out and buy the maciPad as soon as it released... :p

If they were to put MacOS on a iPad I'd pay attention.. As long as the iPad rocks a mobileOS it's a non starter for me.. Maybe as a toy but not much else.

I do think Apple was "testing the water" and rather deliberately allowed much of the Mac line to stagnate. Apple's best selling product is Apple hence why so many blindly buy into what ever they produce. With the Mac there's a lot of history and staunch support, all the vitriol in the tech press and across the forums likely had an impact, especially regarding the professional users as Apple desperately needs to retain the Kudos & Halo effect they bring to the table, strengthening the RDF, ensuring the iSheep all well primed with their credit cards for the next wave of the same :p

Same had Apple produced an OS X tablet or 2 in 1 I would have definitely bought one. Touch Bar has some potential, however in comparison to a well executed full touch & pen enabled display a poor substitute at best, simply doesn't compare.

iPad not so much, I can use one, however very much a companion device and arguably Android presents better solution depending on your needs, hence why I have an 8" Android tablet, for quick on the go stuff. The consumption aspect is academic, more for the access to the file system.

I do applaud Microsoft, again they are far from perfect, equally they are taking the risk and bringing innovation. As they say "a life lived in fear, is a life half lived " and to some events this is exactly what we see with Apple, pumping out more and more of the same.

It's all beautifully executed, equally the word that springs to mind is mediocrity. Apple of late simply bores me. It's just about the money, once the Macintosh building flew a pirate flag, today they are more preoccupied with the door handles for the new HQ o_O

Q-6

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I've always been a MacOS fan so it was either MacOS or Linux for me.. Never really bothered with Windows.. Since getting the X1 Carbon I've been rocking Win and Linux but for the past few days I've been using Windows 10 and to be honest, I really like it....

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Huh? This comment would have made sense with Windows 8 but not with Windows 10... If you have a clamshell Win 10 machine then touch works perfectly as it should. If you have a 2 in 1 then there is nothing that forces you into tablet mode..

I agree tablet mode is terrible but there is nothing on Win 10 that forces you to use it... Even on a 2 in 1 when it's converted to use as a tablet you can rock it in desktop mode and touch works as it should..

You can't forget about the suite of built in apps that simply don't work as they should to the point where they're just in your way. They're a part of Windows 10 and make for a terrible experience.

Sure, find an alternative.. for the Mail app.. Mozilla Thunderbird? Dated. Old. Certainly not made for touch UI.

Windows 10's double life as a tablet is a poor experience on the whole :/

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
You can't forget about the suite of built in apps that simply don't work as they should to the point where they're just in your way. They're a part of Windows 10 and make for a terrible experience.

Sure, find an alternative.. for the Mail app.. Mozilla Thunderbird? Dated. Old. Certainly not made for touch UI.

Windows 10's double life as a tablet is a poor experience on the whole :/

Again ----> Huh?

The mail app works fine and it works fine when touch is used in desktop mode... And again ---> You are NOT forced to use tablet mode even when a 2 in 1 is used in tablet mode.. Use desktop mode and touch away!

Anyways.. I am pretty much done responding as this entire thread is odd, loaded to the hilt with misinformation and bad advice....

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Again ----> Huh?

The mail app works fine and it works fine when touch is used in desktop mode... And again ---> You are NOT forced to use tablet mode even when a 2 in 1 is used in tablet mode.. Use desktop mode and touch away!

Anyways.. I am pretty much done responding as this entire thread is odd, loaded to the hilt with misinformation and bad advice....

Well, my personal experience is bad with Windows 10 despite multiple attempts to make it work and like it. If asked and questioned about it I will discuss it like.. no skin off my nose.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
So OP, I got a ipad 10.5. Impressed with the display. Still, in its present form, not a laptop replacement for me. Don't think it will ever be. But for my inking needs, I think this is it. Awesome display... no doubt about that. Will continue to use my MBP as my main laptop

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So OP, I got a ipad 10.5. Impressed with the display.
I'm very impressed with the new iPad Pro, I think its something I can definitely see myself using. Not replacing my laptop but in conjunction. The apps are too hamstrung, compared to the desktop versions. Lack of a mouse, its still much easier to use the laptop on my lap then the iPad, etc. I'm not down on the iPad, its just not there yet, in terms of being a full laptop replacement - at least for my needs.

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
I'm still geared to sell the ThinkPad. 0 interest on eBay in it whatsoever. Selling it for £575 and thinking it'll need a price drop to be honest.

I've thought about Linux but it's not really able to do what I need well despite it's advantages. I did spend all Sunday trying to come around to Win10 but nope, it's far too filled with utter crap that can't be removed.

I'd be able to afford a Mac in a few months but I don't even think I'd like to own a laptop anymore. It was consuming my life, too many hours spent on it. I think the simplicity of the iPad will suit me well.

Don't even think I need a Pro. I opened another thread asking people's opinions which has been quite helpful

Glad you guys are liking the Pro. Sooner or later those features will find their way to the cheaper iPads for me

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
For those who may stumble across this thread in the future..

To put some of the false information to rest:

Just about everything can be uninstalled from Windows if you either know what you are doing, ask someone who knows, or spend 30 seconds on Google..

To remove an app or programs that in some instances may look like it can't be:

1. Open elevated powershell
2. Type this for programs ---> wmic product get name

this will give you a list of programs on the PC so you can get it's exact name​
3. Type this ----> wmicproduct where name="insert_program_name_here” call uninstall /nointeractive
4. Type this for apps ---> Get-AppxPackage *insert_app_name_here* | Remove-AppxPackage

DONE!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.