Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
If you have Windows 10 Pro you can configure this AppLocker Policy and block the stupid apps from auto-downloading in the future. We rolled out this policy to our entire fleet. It works well.

upload_2017-7-7_9-59-59.png

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
If you have Windows 10 Pro you can configure this AppLocker Policy and block the stupid apps from auto-downloading in the future. We rolled out this policy to our entire fleet. It works well.
That is nice.

For me though, at this time, Windows is over.
Once my Mac dies (usually about time....approaching the three year mark but this is without a dGPU...so fingers crossed), I will get a Thinkpad T, install Elelmentary on it and call it a day. For all my inking needs, will stick to the iPad Pro. The right device for the right job :)

Windows would have been an excellent 2 in 1 enabler but this kind of stuff just takes the joy out of it. Plus, as I experienced on the Yoga, I have CPU load anxiety on Windows :) I go to the task bar to see something about the application I am using only to find out Defender is doing something. If not Defender, then some other 'service' is doing something. One night, I did not close the lid of the Yoga and went to bed....in the morning, Yoga was toasty and fans were on full blast! WTF! I realise this was Microsoft using its smarts to do something during the idle time...but don't toast my machine Microsoft! Not cool!

I am pretty sure there is a regedit I can do to fix all that....but not in the mood for it. Elementary on the Thinkpad 13 has been running great. 8 hour battery life and no funny processes hogging your CPU. iPad Pro inking is fantastic. 8 hour battery on that too! iOS 11 will make it easier sharing files. So instead of buying a
egregiously priced MBP - buy a Thinkpad with a coupon+ iPad Pro with a Pencil. A really good combo.

Last edited:

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
That is nice.

For me though, at this time, Windows is over.
Once my Mac dies (usually about time....approaching the three year mark but this is without a dGPU...so fingers crossed), I will get a Thinkpad T, install Elelmentary on it and call it a day. For all my inking needs, will stick to the iPad Pro. The right device for the right job :)

Windows would have been an excellent 2 in 1 enabler but this kind of stuff just takes the joy out of it. Plus, as I experienced on the Yoga, I have CPU load anxiety on Windows :) I go to the task bar to see something about the application I am using only to find out Defender is doing something. If not Defender, then some other 'service' is doing something. One night, I did not close the lid of the Yoga and went to bed....in the morning, Yoga was toasty and fans were on full blast! WTF! I realise this was Microsoft using its smarts to do something during the idle time...but don't toast my machine Microsoft! Not cool!

I am pretty sure there is a regedit I can do to fix all that....but not in the mood for it. Elementary on the Thinkpad 13 has been running great. 8 hour battery life and no funny processes hogging your CPU. iPad Pro inking is fantastic. 8 hour battery on that too! iOS 11 will make it easier sharing files. So instead of buying a
egregiously priced MBP - buy a Thinkpad with a coupon+ iPad Pro with a Pencil. A really good combo.

That's the route I've gone. Have a Windows 10 box sat home for games and work that requires Windows but I have a new System76 laptop on the way and my iPad Pro I'm on now. Most of my life is spent on my Ubuntu or Mint laptops and my iPad Pro. I love my T series Thinkpads. I have Ubuntu on my older T410s and it's a great laptop.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
That's the route I've gone. Have a Windows 10 box sat home for games and work that requires Windows but I have a new System76 laptop on the way and my iPad Pro I'm on now. Most of my life is spent on my Ubuntu or Mint laptops and my iPad Pro. I love my T series Thinkpads. I have Ubuntu on my older T410s and it's a great laptop.
T series are great! And I tend to behave differently around T series. laptops :) Around my MBP, I am always anxious that it might get damaged somehow. Like if my wife consumes any liquid near my laptop, I freak out! I put my Macbook in a case and then put the case protected MBP in a sleeve and then the sleeve goes into a bag. Crazy and stupid I know but I just can't help it. And even after all this, turns out my current MBP has some kind of damage to the screen's border. Don't know how that happened but it has...and it is going to kill the resale value of my MBP...which means I will be using this to the death and throw it away if anything fails on this thing.

With the Thinkpads, none of this happens. I am more confident around these machines. Have not put my Thinkpad 13 in a case. The short while I had the Yoga 370, I did not even think of getting a case for it. The first two days of my Thinkpad ownership, I was coding by the condo's pool. Something I would never do with my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.