Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robjulo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I thought after the iOS7 paint job iOS8 would be big (at least that is what the spin was). This was really underwhelming.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This was big. Not really on design side, but big on functionality and developer side of things. Finally bringing a lot of things people have been looking for for years now.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Hmm. Isn't this a hardware year, and NOT a software year...? :rolleyes: We got quick reply. I am HAPPY!

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I thought after the iOS7 paint job iOS8 would be big (at least that is what the spin was). This was really underwhelming.

It's pretty big from a developer angle, and this is a developer conference after all; new APIs, new programming language, widgets in the notification center, etc.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009

I thought it was pretty exciting. Maybe if you're not a developer I can see it as boring.

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
i really don't know why you expected that, the main thing this year will be the 6. Bigger software changes usually occur during the s cycle. I.e iOS 7(big overhaul) and 5s,and, iOS 6(nothing really big) and the 5

robjulo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
i really don't know why you expected that, the main thing this year will be the 6. Bigger software changes usually occur during the s cycle. I.e iOS 7(big overhaul) and 5s,and, iOS 6(nothing really big) and the 5

Because iOS7 was a paint job and the spin at that time was Ivey simply didn't have time and just wait for iOS8.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because iOS7 was a paint job and the spin at that time was Ivey simply didn't have time and just wait for iOS8.
And now iOS 8 brought various new features/functionalities to go along with the new paintjob.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Custom keyboards
Major openess in the whole platform (notification center, touchid, inter app communication etc etc)

The big changes are going to come from the developers in the coming months after iOS8 is released

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
This was big. Not really on design side, but big on functionality and developer side of things. Finally bringing a lot of things people have been looking for for years now.

Exactly! People were cribbing for quick replies, swipe keyboards, extensions!! App to app talk!!! ..well let's see ppl whining now!

I have 1 issue though.. They haven't made it any easier to delete individual messages in the messages app... Still would have to go through the holding and pressing more :(

Best innovation is calling and SMS from Mac !!!! Freaking blows your mind!!! Let's see android and windows doing it!!!!
"I do read your emails" -Tim cook !!! Loved it!!!

robjulo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
A couple of simple questions.

Can I Reply All to an email and attach a file yet (without a workaround). If not, let's not brag about Enterprise until I can do something that basic with my team.

Can I save a document to a central repository that other apps can open and modify or am I still sandboxed for fear grandma wont be able to figure out something so complicated.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
No way, this is huge. Seven focused on the UI and this is features and polish. You can't expect your life to be changed each and every year. That said, this offers much more than seven did. Just because it doesn't look different doesn't mean you aren't receiving a sub-par update. And it's free...

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
From a developer side, it's huge.

From the user side, I agree, it's not much. It'll become big though when developers start using those APIs and kits.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This is was definitely a developer presentation. :( Can't wait to see it in action, but knowing how devs work on iOS, it'll be next year before we see any real apps making use of the technology. I have a ton of apps still waiting on background downloading/uploading for pete sakes.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Really? I think this was just as big (or more) than iOS 5 which was the biggest update.

Also, remember there's a slideshow on the keynote where Craig said there's even more to iOS 8 (Which I will read when the keynote is available on Apple's website).

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Exactly! People were cribbing for quick replies, swipe keyboards, extensions!! App to app talk!!! ..well let's see ppl whining now!

I have 1 issue though.. They haven't made it any easier to delete individual messages in the messages app... Still would have to go through the holding and pressing more :(

Best innovation is calling and SMS from Mac !!!! Freaking blows your mind!!! Let's see android and windows doing it!!!!
"I do read your emails" -Tim cook !!! Loved it!!!

I can send SMS from my computer via my Android phone via MightyText browser extension and have done for like a year, dunno about voice calling though as it's not something i've looked into. Nice improvements to iOS though definatly moving in the right direction.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
You can count on the MacRumors forums for the annual "underwhelmed" comments. Apple could give everyone on the planet a free gold bar and someone would be here saying they were underwhelmed. Move on folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.