Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
World
Hi Guys, This is a thread to post about the current issues on the new MBPs 2021. And since this is a WikiPost, you can add you an issue to this first post. Just make sure that the issue itself is only happening on the new 2021 MBPs, not reproducible on other machines. If there are updated infos about the issues, please update them on the first post to help others !! Thank you!!

Current issues =
  • ProMotion issues on browsers. It seems like Safari is locked at 60FPS, while on other browsers even tho it's 120FPS the scrolling inertia is running at 60FPS.
  • Sometimes when you're playing an HDR video on browser (YouTube has been tested for sure), it will kernel panic the laptop and reboot it. Sometimes after playing it if you scroll up and down it'll trigger it too according to some people.
  • MagSafe charging bug on 16" (Idk if it happens on 14" or not. Please update), If your battery is below 80% (According to some it's only affecting it below 80%. I'm not sure of the exact percentage but i tested while mine was 50%) and then you turned off your MBP. and then closed the lid. When you plug in the MagSafe with the 140w charging, It'll turn amber and then chime, and just cycle all over again like it's stuck repeating. It doesn't seem to happen when turned on though.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
While I have yet to experience it, two of my friends(one with a 16 max and the other with a 14 pro) have has problems with the sad card reader. Either not reading most of the cards they have tried or extremely slow read times. There seem to be quite a few reports of this.

Reactions: white7561

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Time Machine seems completely broken on mine and many others - seems to be to do with Monterey, but is not good at all.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
World
Time Machine seems completely broken on mine and many others - seems to be to do with Monterey, but is not good at all.

Oh about that. Yeah both of my tm disks have the issue that says that it's waiting for the first backup. Even tho the first backup has been done. Doing a manual backup fixed it. Both now shows the time. And I tested that the hourly backup works fine. Checked the drive in finder and can see the dates etc.

Yeh I guess not really the MBP 2021 bug. But more of a Monterey's bug

Reactions: NickYanakiev

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I’m experiencing the MagSafe charging bug as well.

Hopefully it’s not a hardware issue.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I haven't noticed anything other than the safari 60hz one. I did have a Monterey bug where control center was taking up 60GB of RAM (Though honestly system performance was generally unaffected.)

HDR on Youtube is interesting when you see how bright the video window is, the white of the YouTube background becomes a dull gray (Because it is limited to 500 nits while the video content can push to 1600)

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Oh about that. Yeah both of my tm disks have the issue that says that it's waiting for the first backup. Even tho the first backup has been done. Doing a manual backup fixed it. Both now shows the time. And I tested that the hourly backup works fine. Checked the drive in finder and can see the dates etc.

Yeh I guess not really the MBP 2021 bug. But more of a Monterey's bug
Thanks - although what do you mean by "manual backup"?

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
I use the trackpad for single "tap to click" and many applications just don't get them the first couple of tries (Thunderbird, MS Edge, Tidal for example) which wasn't a problem on my old Intel MBP. I've tried adjusting the "firmness" but hasn't made a difference. Thunderbird is native, Edge is not, so I don't think it's Rosetta issue. Maybe it's a Big Sur thing.

[2021 14" MPB]

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
World
I use the trackpad for single "tap to click" and many applications just don't get them the first couple of tries (Thunderbird, MS Edge, Tidal for example) which wasn't a problem on my old Intel MBP. I've tried adjusting the "firmness" but hasn't made a difference. Thunderbird is native, Edge is not, so I don't think it's Rosetta issue. Maybe it's a Big Sur thing.
Seems to be Monterey issue since it's happening on other machines too. There's a thread about it in the Monterey's forum

Feisar

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
MagSafe charging bug on 16" (Idk if it happens on 14" or not. Please update), If your battery is below 80% (According to some it's only affecting it below 80%. I'm not sure of the exact percentage but i tested while mine was 50%) and then you turned off your MBP. and then closed the lid. When you plug in the MagSafe with the 140w charging, It'll turn amber and then chime, and just cycle all over again like it's stuck repeating. It doesn't seem to happen when turned on though.

+1 16” and experiencing MagSafe bug also. Mine was 43%. But I’ll check for above 50%

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
World
+1 16” and experiencing MagSafe bug also. Mine was 43%. But I’ll check for above 50%
Yeah. Someone on another thread talked to Apple Support and they confirmed. We'll wait for more info
I am chatting with Apple Support now, reported it, and trying to confirm again if known issue to them.

They confirmed it is a known issue to them. Did not say if hardware or software.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Yeah. Someone on another thread talked to Apple Support and they confirmed. We'll wait for more info
Apple support gotten back to anyone regarding the charging issue?

Hopefully it's not a hardware issue.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Anyone on the beta train, can you report back if beta 2 fixes the MagSafe charging bug that some people are experiencing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.