Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MauriceH

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2021
I've got a 14" MBP and while charging there seems to be a current leaking to the housing of the MBP. Regardless of charging through the magsafe connector or USB-c port.
When unconnected, you feel just a cold metal finish. When connected, it feels like te casing has a complete different texture.

I've contacted Apple and they've send a new one, which I just received. And to my surprise it has the same problem!
Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
World
I've got a 14" MBP and while charging there seems to be a current leaking to the housing of the MBP. Regardless of charging through the magsafe connector or USB-c port.
When unconnected, you feel just a cold metal finish. When connected, it feels like te casing has a complete different texture.

I've contacted Apple and they've send a new one, which I just received. And to my surprise it has the same problem!
Anyone else experiencing this?
It feels like a strange buzzing thing that you only feel when your finger is running on the surface. Right?

That's always a thing with every electronic that is being charged with AC. it's the grounding. It could be your sockets grounding or something else. It's not the unit's issue though.

Have experienced this with many kinds of electronics. And yes. With my old and current MacBook. Even the old and first ipad when I'm charging it on the old days.

Even though this current MBP charger has 3 prongs and are connected correctly to my socket. I still feel the buzz which prob means my old apartments grounding is bad

MauriceH

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2021
@white7561

I just did some more troubleshooting, exchanging cables etc.

When I derive power from my monitor (85W) it gives the strange buzzing thing, regardless whether I use usb-c or magsafe.
It also gives the buzzing thing when I use the original power adapter, regardless whether I connect usb-c or magsafe.
But: when I exchange the original socket pin connector (no idea what te correct translation in English is) for the apple power adapter extension cable, the buzzing thing disappears! And then it doesn't matter whether I use usb-c or magsafe.

What remains:
- I've never had issues with any other electronic device, including my 2014 MBP.
- The problem remains regardless of the socket I use in my house and even at clients locations.
- I live in a fairly new house (15yrs old)

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
World
@white7561

When I derive power from my monitor (85W) it gives the strange buzzing thing, regardless whether I use usb-c or magsafe.
It also gives the buzzing thing when I use the original power adapter, regardless whether I connect usb-c or magsafe.
But: when I exchange the original socket pin connector (no idea what te correct translation in English is) for the apple power adapter extension cable, the buzzing thing disappears! And then it doesn't matter whether I use usb-c or magsafe.

What remains:
- I've never had issues with any other electronic device, including my 2014 MBP.
- The problem remains regardless of the socket I use in my house and even at clients locations.
maybe the Adaptor's socket adapter doesn't have a good connection with the grounding?? that's why its acting up. but ye it's nothing to be worried i think...

MauriceH

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2021
maybe the Adaptor's socket adapter doesn't have a good connection with the grounding?? that's why its acting up. but ye it's nothing to be worried i think...
I think you're correct.
The adaptor's socket adaptor does NOT have grounding, neither has the power cable of my monitor (has something to do with EU legislation). But the extension cable does have grounding!

Whether it's something to worry about, I tend to be on the conservative side.

Reactions: white7561

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
@white7561

What remains:
I've had this with the 3 MBPs I had over the last 12-15 years, as well as other electronics. In my home and at my workplace. Normal behavior imo. My current M1 MBA doesn't do it, but the 14" MBP I returned last week did it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.