Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
With the Community Shield, formerly the Charity Shield, a game that is traditionally the curtain raiser to a new season, due to take place tomorrow, this means that tomorrow heralds the start of a fresh football season.

Thus, I think it that it is time to start a thread where we can discuss the coming season, even though the we are still in the middle of the WWC, a competition that won't come to a conclusion for another few weeks with the WWC Final.

With that, herewith a new thread where everything to do with the Season of 2023-2024 can be discussed.

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Well lets be honest, the WWC is taking place in 2023. It wont be classed as the 2022/2023 world cup but the 2023 World cup thus ongoing discussion about it does fit in here :)

Edit: made error in date of world cup lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well lets be honest, the WWC is taking place in 2023. It wont be classed as the 2022/2023 world cup but the 2030 World cup thus ongoing discussion about it does fit in here :)
That is true, but, in general, I dislike starting a thread about a new season while a major football competition is still ongoing.

However, you make a good point with your observation that (in the future) the WWC will be referred to as the 2023 WWC.

Therefore, ongoing discussion about this ongoing competition is entirely valid and relevant.

And thank you, @HandsomeDanNZ: Your post jolted me into taking action and starting this thread.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I said to myself that Japan and Spain would beat their teams and they have. My other predictions are that England, Sweden, Australia, Netherlands, France and Columbia will win their games. I was going to put a bet on it but then I am not a betting person lol but will be interesting to see how they all get on.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I knew this would happen. People will be shocked but all the signs were there to see beforehand. Still, it’s not as big a disaster as some will paint it. The team is in transition and the manager is probably not right for this position. And the rest of the world is catching up.

Of course that we have to go down to old foe Sweden does sting. The players will remember this and you can bet the next time we face them it will be a proper grudge match.

Thanks @Scepticalscribe for starting the thread, I was slow on the draw again this year!

Last edited:

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Taking the game to the PL Champions. Yes it’s only Community Shield nonetheless I’m liking this Arsenal team already. Kai is showing his true talent. A goal or two by him will boost his confidence.

Timber is solid.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well lets be honest, the WWC is taking place in 2023. It wont be classed as the 2022/2023 world cup but the 2023 World cup thus ongoing discussion about it does fit in here :)

Edit: made error in date of world cup lol
Actually, I had spotted the error, but decided to avert my eyes....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some finish that by Palmer.

Timber off. KT on. KT slips. Palmer scores.

Ramsdale pulled 2 brilliant saves.
Sigh.

Yes.

The thing is, if Arsenal won, we would (probably privately) admit that it doesn't really count, not in terms of the season, except as a valuable psychological victory over the financial and footballing juggernaut that is Manchester City.

And, alas, if City win, (as seems increasingly likely), unfortunately, it does resemble a case of 'plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose'.

However, I will not deny that this fixture is a very useful opportunity for Arsenal.

Reactions: Sal09

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, well, well.

A defeated team in the Community Shield will always attempt to argue (not entirely successfully) that this encounter "doesn't really matter", and, in the context of points on the board, or, serious silverware, perhaps, it doesn't.

However, firstly, this is a trophy, and trophies, of any description, are a positive way with which to start a season: (On his first seriously competitive game for Arsenal, Declan Rice is a member of a team that collects a trophy; that must go down well for him).

And, secondly, psychologically, this is a very good win for Arsenal: They have shown that they are able to defeat, that they can defeat, that it is possible for them to defeat Manchester City; that is a mental block that they have now shown is possible for them to overcome.

Bravo.

Well done, Arsenal.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
At the end of the day, a trophy is a trophy. Rice is now a winner of a European trophy and an English cup trophy. Not bad for the guy :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, well, well.

A defeated team in the Community Shield will always attempt to argue (not entirely successfully) that this encounter "doesn't really matter", and, in the context of points on the board, or, serious silverware, perhaps, it doesn't.

However, firstly, this is a trophy, and trophies, of any description, are a positive way with which to start a season: (On his first seriously competitive game for Arsenal, Declan Rice is a member of a team that collects a trophy; that must go down well for him).

And, secondly, psychologically, this is a very good win for Arsenal: They have shown that they are able to defeat, that they can defeat, that it is possible for them to defeat Manchester City; that is a mental block that they have now shown is possible for them to overcome.

Bravo.

Well done, Arsenal.
Declan Rice picked up a trophy in his last two competitive games.

The community shield is not really a trophy in my opinion. Just the preseason friendly before the real stuff kicks off next week.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Declan Rice picked up a trophy in his last two competitive games.
I know, and I would imagine that he has thoroughly enjoyed the (unexpected and unusual) experience.
The community shield is not really a trophy in my opinion. Just the preseason friendly before the real stuff kicks off next week.
Actually, in truth, I am broadly in agreement with you (and I imagine that this is the spin that Manchester City will take - although Pep Guardiola likes to win everything - and that this how Manchester City will explain it away).

However, I'll cheerfully take any victory over Manchester City, even if it comes in a five-a-side competition in the local park.

The main thing is that Arsenal fought back, and kept fighting, that they managed to claw (back) a draw by the final whistle, while also proving to themselves that they could defeat Manchester City and had the mental and physical resilience to do so.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Another penalty nailbiter in the WWC, with England finally seeing off Nigeria. Lauren James got a kind of dumb red card, though, so she'll be a big miss in the next match.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Finally looks like some movement at West Ham.
Alvarez fee agreed with Ajax subject to a medical tomorrow.
Improved offers in for McGuire, McTominay and Ward Prowse.
Pretty sure we won’t get them all. But reinforcements are very welcome right now.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
£50M for Maguire and McTominay together. I can't see United saying yes to that. I feel like £60M would be fair for all parties involved: I can see Maguire bouncing back in a lower pressure situation like West Ham, and in a style of football that does less to highlight his weaknesses. As long as you don't ask McTominay to be a DM, he's a pretty decent midfielder who could improve a few teams in the PL.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
£50M for Maguire and McTominay together. I can't see United saying yes to that. I feel like £60M would be fair for all parties involved: I can see Maguire bouncing back in a lower pressure situation like West Ham, and in a style of football that does less to highlight his weaknesses. As long as you don't ask McTominay to be a DM, he's a pretty decent midfielder who could improve a few teams in the PL.
Right now I’m less concerned about the money and just want to get some guys in. I agree McGuire isn’t a bad footballer, just not a good fit at Utd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.