Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
No sooner do I write about the VAR and lack thereof in the Championship (and how refreshing it is to see little to no protest when incorrect decisions are made), than I have to accept the same for my beloved and long-suffering Saints (Southampton FC).
Playing Leicester this morning (NZT) and there was a pretty easy to spot offside immediately following a blatant foul on a Saint, both of which were ignored by officials and a goal was scored by Leicester.

In the end it really didn't matter as Saints squandered the amount of possession they had and sunk to a season low, conceding 5 goals with no reply.

I do not look forward to the playoffs - I can't see Saints in their current state winning the playoffs, or even making it to the final at this stage. And I have said this before, but I think a promotion to the Premier League would be a mistake at the moment anyway. We'd get slaughtered in the Prem right now and with the way FFP is, we couldn't invest too much to improve our squad to Premier League standard.

I wish Ipswich, Leeds and Leicester well in the Premier League next season, as that's who I feel will be there - and deservedly so.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There probably should be more shout for a Partey/Odegaard/Rice midfield after that performance.
The problem with Partey is, that while he is a superb player, unfortunately, he is rather injury prone ("he is made of glass", according to one of the Arsenal fanzines), and - on account of that - has, in the time since he was bought, has been out injured for a period of weeks to months of almost every season.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The problem with Partey is, that while he is a superb player, unfortunately, he is rather injury prone ("he is made of glass", according to one of the Arsenal fanzines), and - on account of that - has, in the time since he was bought, has been out injured for a period of weeks to months of almost every season.
True, but now that he is fit. He should be able to manage 4 games at least.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Everton wrestle towards safety at the expense of Liverpool's fading title challenge.

'Pool seem to have run out of gas.

Meanwhile Palace beat Newcastle at home and Utd come from behind to beat Sheff Utd thanks to the Bruno Fernandes show

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Saudi agree deal with FIFA to sponsor the next Men and Women's World Cup
Heard another few prominent women and men lately in football in our country that revealed that they turned down offers from Saudi during their careers. One male trainer whose daughters refused to move there, and an earlier goalkeeper from women's national team.
I can understand those who have taken lucrative offers as well. It's a short time they can make some money on their sport. But I also feel proud of those who turn down those offers.

But the Saudi's are investing in football now, and getting more and more into it, whether we like it or not. I actually don't know where I've got my negative wibes regarding it from? Some general tone that flourish around I guess. But are they unethical and evil, or not? I am not enough informed actually to know that.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
But the Saudi's are investing in football now, and getting more and more into it, whether we like it or not. I actually don't know where I've got my negative wibes regarding it from? Some general tone that flourish around I guess. But are they unethical and evil, or not? I am not enough informed actually to know that.
I think it's the combination of human rights abuses, lack of womens' rights, anti-LGBT stance and the strong male-dominant conservative nature of their society that puts people offside with the Saudi regime.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I think it's the combination of human rights abuses, lack of womens' rights, anti-LGBT stance and the strong male-dominant conservative nature of their society that puts people offside with the Saudi regime.
I hear what you say, and I’ve heard other people said similar things too, so I’m not lacking information.
But I haven't made a big effort on my own to investigate more though, it’s what I’m saying.
But from what I've heard’ they are like a few decades behind in their evolution in their society in general.
I’ve also heard, to their advantage, that rejecting them and what they want to contribute with, won't make them change and open up their minds and society either. After all that’s what globalisation is about - share ideas from different parts of the world, so we grow together.

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
It's quite sad to see that money truly is what gets FIFA out of bed in the morning.
To start with Qatar and follow with Saudi, despite the deafening opposition to both from football fans around the world is quite incredible and insanely tone-deaf.

In saying that, the press are just as bad - the pages of internet space dedicated to the Saudi Fooball League (or whatever it's called) blows me away. I have no interest in a tin-pot league in a country that is so philosophically opposed to my world-view.
The fact that oodles of money is thrown at the world's top talent to go there makes things worse, if anything.
Added to that, the number of players that immediately regret their choices and look to move back to more traditinoal leagues speaks for itself.

FIFA has no soul, but the press is getting to be just as bad - paid shills for the Saudi state-owned league and clubs.

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The majority of the world is trying to go 'green', to be more environmentally friendly, to reduce our dependency on coal and oil and what does FIFA go and do? allow one of the worlds biggest oil companies to sponsor both the men's and women's world cups. It appears FIFA have gone tone deaf. Environmentalists and green energy supporters will have a field day with this.

As for Liverpool it looks like they are blowing it in seeing that Klopp ends his time at the club winning something. Out of Europe, out of the FA Cup, looks like they are out the running for the league and only have the league cup left.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
That part where a journalist was kidnapped and cut in pieces by a government hit squad with obvious relations with the top also kind of puts people off.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
That part where a journalist was kidnapped and cut in pieces by a government hit squad with obvious relations with the top also kind of puts people off.
Don’t you think this is bordering to go to the political forums?
I’m still replying.
Obviously sport and politics have a connection. But that isn’t only about Saudi.
How are Russia allowed participation in tournaments, under neutral flag, but yet while they are in an invasion of a sovereign country?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I seem to be channelling my inner Molly Bloom:

Yes, yes, yes.
And again, I say yes, yes, yes, yes.
Don’t you think this is bordering to go to the political forums?
I’m still replying.
Obviously sport and politics have a connection. But that isn’t only about Saudi.
How are Russia allowed participation in tournaments, under neutral flag, but yet while they are in an invasion of a sovereign country?
Absolutely, yes.
Yes, perhaps it is. And the broad answer given by HandsomeDanNZ covers everything quite nicely.

Regarding Russia couldn't agree more.

Still, there is a difference between direct state sponsorship and individual athletes competing. But, as I said, couldn't agree more regarding Russia.
And again, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Couldn't agree more with each and every one of you.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Looks like Arne Slot will succeed Klopp as Liverpool manager.

Dutch managers have a poor record in the EPL (ETH being the freak exception), but he has a decent squad to play with. Albeit he will probably lose Salah this summer and TAA next summer

Good luck to him. Practically an impossible job, but maybe he can pull it off.

In other news, Leicester get promoted back into the EPL after QPR thump Leeds at home.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
10163_small.png
vs
8659_small.png

A point would be nice, all three would be great !

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Liverpool basically doing what Arsenal did last season.
The defending has been shambolic and the overall performance...pedestrian.
But fair play to West Ham/Bowen

Reactions: Silencio

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So now it’s a two horse race. No way back for Liverpool on their current form.
Well, it is not so much "no way back on their current form" - although that is true, - it is also that there is little time left to make up those dropped points, as Liverpool have only three games remaining.

Manchester City have a game in hand - this is the time of the season, when a game in hand, rather than cluttering up the fixture list - can be something positive, although, obviously, better still are points on the board.

However, unlike last season, I expect that Arsenal will be in a position to sustain their challenge to the end; for once, with Partey (who is excellent) back, and Timber (who was injured at the very start of the season) also almost ready to return, the team actually looks in good shape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.