Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Gutted.

Arsenal out 😔.
Actually, I am not gutted.

Personally, I would have far preferred a result against Villa to keep our title challenge on track, to a victory tonight.

We are nowhere nearly good enough to win the Champion's League, and this season represented an improvement on last season, in that we progressed to the knock-out stages of the competition.

An incremental improvement each year - with growing confidence and experience - progressing further in the competition each successive season - is what I would like to see happen.

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Actually, I am not gutted.

Personally, I would have far preferred a result against Villa to keep our title challenge on track, to a victory tonight.

We are nowhere nearly good enough to win the Champion's League, and this season represented an improvement on last season, in that we progressed to the knock-out stages of the competition.

An incremental improvement each year - with growing confidence and experience - progressing further in the competition each successive season - is what I would like to see happen.
1713391719726.gif

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
He knows how that feels, he won ALOT but never a Champions Leaugue 😢

WCL Semifinals coming up in April 20th & 27/28th returns.
I think Barça and Lyon will meet in the final 25th May.
I agree with you as to who will be in the final but I do think Chelsea with give Barcelona a strong test because they will still be wanting to give their manager Emma Hayes a trophy to end her career at Chelsea with. They are already out of the FA Cup, they are equal on points with Man City in the league and in the semi final of the champions league. Still two trophies to fight for. Chelsea women have won every domestic competition there is but have never won the CL. As this is their managers last year at the club I do think that as long as they do not lose their heads, they will give Barcelona a tough time because in my opinion the CL cup will be the one the team will be most wanting to win.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I was very pleased to see the Man Utd women defeat Chelsea in the FA Cup semifinal. After doing so well last season, they really took a step back this year — hopefully a cup trophy will serve as consolation and a step to regain some of their lost progress along with any and all improvements that INEOS should make to the women's club.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Man City and Arsenal are out of the Champions League. Their fans must be well and truly gutted?
No.

Not only am I not "well and truly gutted", I am not "gutted" at all.

Actually, as an Arsenal fan, I am far more "gutted" that we were defeated (worse still, at home), by Aston Villa last week-end.

We hadn't a proverbial hope in hell of winning the Champion's League, and the farther we progressed the greater of a distraction it was going to be, not to mention exceedingly greedy of time, effort, energy, focus, and of players.

For that matter, I had feared that we might suffer yet another catastrophic injury - or, at least a serious injury - to a player in a key position which would have had a dreadful impact (much as Saliba's injury had last season) on the team for the remainder of the season, not least while we attempt to sustain a challenge (an increasingly difficult challenge as it is no longer in our hands) for the title.

For now, as far as I am concerned, as long as we qualify for the Champion's League, - and do a bit better each season than the previous season (as we did this year, qualifying for the knock-out stage) - I will rest content.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I was very pleased to see the Man Utd women defeat Chelsea in the FA Cup semifinal. After doing so well last season, they really took a step back this year — hopefully a cup trophy will serve as consolation and a step to regain some of their lost progress along with any and all improvements that INEOS should make to the women's club.
It would be a huge embarrassment for the men's team if the women's team were to win their FA Cup and the men's team do not. The potential for a bunch of low paid women players out performing their mega millions male counterparts would be huge.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed. But we’ve had three fantastic years in Europe with David Moyes.
Might be a few more until we are back.
Well, I have long thought that Moyes has been an excellent manager for West Ham, and also think that the club would be out of their minds to release him, or to do anything but renew his contract.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, I have long thought that Moyes has been an excellent manager for West Ham, and also think that the club would be out of their minds to release him, or to do anything but renew his contract.
I’m not sure where he contract offer is. It might be with the club, or with the manager.
But yes I totally agree. He deserves to stay and I don’t think replacing him would make us a more successful club.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
As aforementioned, unsurprised by the exit against Bayern. We haven't been vintage in Europe, and that was only gonna go two ways; kick into gear or be knocked out. The Villa result annoyed me more to be honest.

Whilst i still think Arteta is the man for the job, i will be judging him and team on how they finish the season. For me, has to win the last 6 games.
All well and good playing well in bursts or periods, but they also need to learn to get over the line.

He has a squad that is better than the last 6 teams. And everyone is mostly fit. Therefore, now its all about being professional. Should be getting majority of the 18pts left no excuses.

If we finish 2-3pts behind the title winners...fine. I'll accept it. And we go again.
If we finish 5, 6, 8pts behind the title winners, then they deserve all the questions and labels frankly.

Fans also need to stay onboard until the end of the season at least. Before the pitchforks come out or the inquisition starts. It still the same team that got to 71pts in 32 games, scored 75 goals, and kept the most clean sheets. So relax.

City OUT
Arsenal OUT
Liverpool OUT
West Ham OUT

British teams are not good enough.
Considering an English team won the UCL and Conference just last year, thats clearly not true.

PS. R.I.P. Chips Keswick

Last edited:

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
City OUT
Arsenal OUT
Liverpool OUT
West Ham OUT

British teams are not good enough.
Nah, City and Arsenal were knocked out by Real Madrid (penalties) and Bayern Munich, those are not weak teams, it's not shameful. Liverpool lost against Atalanta, and they (Atalanta) sometimes look like a perfect machine and sometimes they look like they don't belong where they are, but in that case it's a surprise and they showed, in those two matches, that they were the better team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.