Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Son looks like he's all but finished. Spurs look like a team that still needs 4 players.
Ange looks absolutely livid. Presumably he is coming to the realisation of the culture of Spurs from top to bottom.

Villa rightly celebrating their top 4 finish. But alas, i feel they'll end up like Newcastle next season and will have a rude awakening in Europe.
They were already flagging in the conference league.

Ortega had a good game. But City didn't really have to get out of second gear.

Means they've caught up...predictably. Even the GD has been completely nullified.

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
As much as I will not be happy with City winning a 4th title in a row, I am not immune to the fact that it has not been made easy for City to win some of their PL titles. In my opinion only 2 seasons did City show their sheer dominance over others which was season 2017-2018 & 2020-2021 where it just so happens that the 2nd place team was Man United. The other seasons where the won the league both Liverpool and Arsenal pushed City all the way making sure it was not easy for City to win the title meaning they had to win it the hard way (grind out hard fought wins)

2017-2018 - Dominated the season
2018-2019 winning by one point over Liverpool
2020-2021 Dominated the season
2021-2022 again winning by one point over Liverpool
2022-2023 Arsenal dominated but ran out of steam allowing City it win it by 5 points

So, whilst City have won 5 titles in 6 years, 3 of those years it was not made easy for them which means the title could have gone either way. This season again both Liverpool and Arsenal have pushed City all the way not making it easy for them. I could therefore understand the distaste for City if they dominated every season they won the league because then the distaste for them could be justified but 3 of those winning seasons could have gone to Liverpool or Arsenal.

To many fans eyes, the 3 seasons where City were pushed right to the end of the season, it is a case of not City winning it with some ease but a case of both Liverpool and Arsenal loosing it. Some will say the same again with Liverpool having lost too many of their season ending games, games fans felt they should have won. If Liverpool had not faltered they could have been league champions.

This is why I am not so frustrated or overly annoyed at City winning the league so many times in a row because other teams who should have won it faltered in the later stages of the season which allowed season to take the advantage. This to me is not a club that is being dominant in the league, in my view the only reason why City have won so many league titles in the past 6 years is because of the failure of the other teams to maintain high level of consistently to see out the season for the win.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The Premier League are going to vote on whether to scrap VAR after a motion tabled by Wolves.
I really hope they do. It’s not improving our game at all. Just bringing in delays, not reducing controversy and reducing the experience for fans.
I don’t expect it to be dropped, but one can hope.

• Wow
Reactions: pachyderm

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The Premier League are going to vote on whether to scrap VAR after a motion tabled by Wolves.
I really hope they do. It’s not improving our game at all. Just bringing in delays, not reducing controversy and reducing the experience for fans.
The technology behind VAR works and works very very well. In my opinion my VAR fails is because of the human element. Ever since it's introduction it has never been used properly. Those who use it fail to use it properly time and time again. Also, VAR technology error margins are so finite that it causes it's human operators to make errors.

VAR can be a very powerful tool if used properly and in my opinion it is not. Fans do not want to see offside decisions made due to a toe or a knee. Fans do not want to see every off the ball incident flagged up. The system needs changes for it to work properly and those changes need to be human related. Yes there has to be an experienced FA qualified ref at the VAR controls but it also needs a very experienced video technician, specifically the ones you find in TV station control rooms who are responsible for cutting/editing video feeds in the split of a second because let's face it the world of television is extremely fast pace, especially when it is live broadcasts. VAR needs these kinds of people operating the technology, someone who can rewind game footage in the blink of an eye allowing the VAR ref to review the footage in a split second.

VAR should be there to assist the on field ref, not to control them which seems to be the case these days because many times we will see VAR interrupt the ref telling them they need to review an incident which causes the game to be interrupted. In my opinion VAR should stay quiet until called upon by the ref.

Reactions: Silencio

mvdrl

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2018
Northwest
This is why I am not so frustrated or overly annoyed at City winning the league so many times in a row because other teams who should have won it faltered in the later stages of the season which allowed season to take the advantage. This to me is not a club that is being dominant in the league, in my view the only reason why City have won so many league titles in the past 6 years is because of the failure of the other teams to maintain high level of consistently to see out the season for the win.
I'm biased as a City fan, but I agree with your analysis. I found Tuesday's game at Spurs exciting and nerve-wracking; it really could have easily been a draw without Ortega's heroics. And Arsenal still have a chance on the last day of the season... right down to the wire!

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I hope they keep it.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I hope we get more VAR in and on Women's fooball's and its arenas. It's increasing, and it's a good thing. It sure takes some time at times, but I find it worth it.
I also think that on a bigger perspective it will make football more fair, and the 'bad guys/girls" have nothing to win or can get away with anymore.
It's definitely supergood for the referee's as they don't have to carry the burden of 'wrong descions'.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I hope we get more VAR in and on Women's fooball's and its arenas. It's increasing, and it's a good thing. It sure takes some time at times, but I find it worth it.
I also think that on a bigger perspective it will make football more fair, and the 'bad guys/girls" have nothing to win or can get away with anymore.
It's definitely supergood for the referee's as they don't have to carry the burden of 'wrong descions'.
But we have more controversial decisions now than we used to not less. I mean before VAR you can say the ref didn’t see it etc. But with VAR there is no excuse. So basically it’s not helping the beautiful game imo.

• Haha
Reactions: Lioness~

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Agreed.

Reactions: Lioness~

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Nashville SC have fired gaffer Gary Smith... not sure it's the right move...

And Dumbarton FC have won promotion into Scottish League One !

150px-Dumbarton_FC_logo.svg.png

MON EH SONS!

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I think many Man United fans of the womens team would say they allowed Chelsea to win the title because United did not want to see their Manchester rivals City win the title. Why fans maybe think like this? because when United played Chelsea in the FA Cup not so long ago, United pulled out a stella performance against Chelsea to stop them winning the trophy and then the last game of the season at Old Trafford, United play one of their worst games of the season, allowing Chelsea to score 6 against them..6!!!! it's an utter disgrace. Allowing Chelsea to score 6 allowed them to better their goal difference over City.

I do feel for City because based on United's FA Cup game against Chelsea, United were expected to give Chelsea a very tough game but they didn't, they hardly tried, especially when you consider both teams consisted or nearly the same teams that played against each other in the FA Cup final a couple of weeks ago.

• Wow

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
City win their 4th league in a row. This means they now gain entry in to the Club World Cup and there is still the FA Cup to go, plus the super cup if United happen to beat City in the FA Cup. More and more trophies for City to win whilst the premier league drag their heels in getting City into court to answer the 115 charges against them. If this continues to drag on the premier league are going to be in trouble with sponsors and the like because now the season is over, there is likely to be calls of the premier league owners being incompetent to the point of being accused of a coverup because they keep making excuses as to why they have not dragged City into court to answer the charges against them.

Oh and you know the daftest thing? Haaland wins the golden boot with 27 goals in 31 games and yet Harry Kane scores 36 goals in 32 games and Bayern Munich end up 3rd in the table.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
City win their 4th league in a row. This means they now gain entry in to the Club World Cup and there is still the FA Cup to go, plus the super cup if United happen to beat City in the FA Cup. More and more trophies for City to win whilst the premier league drag their heels in getting City into court to answer the 115 charges against them. If this continues to drag on the premier league are going to be in trouble with sponsors and the like because now the season is over, there is likely to be calls of the premier league owners being incompetent to the point of being accused of a coverup because they keep making excuses as to why they have not dragged City into court to answer the charges against them.
Not all that interested in the club World Cup. I don’t know anyone who is.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

Oh and you know the daftest thing? Haaland wins the golden boot with 27 goals in 31 games and yet Harry Kane scores 36 goals in 32 games and Bayern Munich end up 3rd in the table.
Have a niggling feeling City will get away unscathed with those charges.

The fact that the EPL and its so-called independent body were swift to hand down penalties to Everton and Forrest, whilst City have 'remained under investigation' is comical. Sure it's a different set of charges/periods. But given the severity one would have thought it would be prioritised.
It just reeks of everyone giving City enough time to 'lawyer up and prepare' for the case. Because they want minimal damage to their golden goose.

Saying that, its still a great achievement to win 4 titles on the bounce in the so-called toughest league in the world. And elevates Pep as the greatest or at least one of the greatest in the modern era. Congrats to him.

Re- Harry Kane. Harry's loyalty to Spurs will be the hill he dies on. Whilst i don't encourage player power-plays, he really should've pushed for a move to City when they came calling.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Already 1-0 down against the Champions elect. Not going to be a good afternoon for East or North London.
No, alas.

I could write "damn, damn, double damn" and add that this predictable (and lamentable) outcome comes as no surprise whatsoever, but, given that both Manchester City and Arsenal finished with 28 victories apiece, I think it unfortunate.

At least, this season, we fought to the (bitter) end, and, better still, there was no sign of brittleness, or bottling, or collapsing on the part of the team as the season drew to a close, for we competed - and mounted a credible challenge - until the very last day.

Nevertheless, it would have been wonderful to have claimed the title, and good for English soccer to see Manchester City unseated, or dethroned, as champions.

Reactions: circatee

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Today is Klopp's last day at Anfield:

Actually, I shall be very sorry to see him go, he was a singularly impressive class act both as a human being and as a football manager.

Reactions: mvdrl

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The BBC made a comment later in the day saying that Pep is now one of 4 managers who have won 6 or more English top league division titles showing that Sir Alex Ferguson is way ahead of the bunch with 13 top league titles (First Division and Premier league division).

OMG!!! I just put Man City into google and clicked on a link to the club and guess what, google has made a firework display show on the screen with a logo of Man City scrolling up the screen. Go try it and see if it does the same for you. Google have never done this before for ANY premier league club that has won the premier league. Below is a screenshot I've just this min taken
man city firework.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Have a niggling feeling City will get away unscathed with those charges.

The fact that the EPL and its so called independent body were swift to hand down penalties to Everton and Forrest whilst City have 'remained under investigation' is comical. Sure its different set of charges/periods. But given the severity one would have thought it would be prioritised
It just reeks of everyone giving City enough time to 'lawyer up and prepare' for the case. Because they want minimal damage to their golden goose.

Saying that, its still a great achievement to win 4 titles on the bounce in the so-called toughest league in the world. And elevates Pep as the greatest or at least one of the greatest in the modern era. Congrats to him.

Re- Harry Kane. Harry's loyalty to Spurs will be the hill he dies on. Whilst i don't encourage player power plays, he really should've pushed for a move to City when they came calling.
Some excellent points, and not just because I find myself in wholehearted agreement with what you have written.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.