Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
This new club welcomes its prospective members. Admission is by ownership of an acrylic Studio Display or Cinema Display. CRT Studio Displays are, of course, also welcome.

I'll go first. Here's the very first Cinema Display released, the short-lived and somewhat rare acrylic 22" with DVI. Mine was made in January 2000. Here's my thread on it.

dsc00520-jpg.1815050

Leave it to you…

OK, old pic, but my 20-inch ACD in action, displaying a live 1080p YT feed of the 2 July 2019 total solar eclipse over Chile and Argentina, as sent from my Power Mac G5 (which was straining with its crappy GeForce card, but managing to do it… only just, at maybe 3fps).

Although it isn’t immediately evident here, this is well after I removed the anti-glare sheet.

If you have a keen eye, you might see a tiny white speck on the screen, centre-bottom (inside the moon shadow). That speck is from a gash to the display which was present before I picked it up locally (along with the G5) for the low, low price of free.

IMG_20190702_155311.jpg

img_20190702_163447-1-jpg.846527

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I imagine that most people are aware by now of my Cinema Displays. I just recently posed another pic of my 20" ACD in another (unrelated) thread today.

So, rather than reposting…I'll just provide some images of the past.

This would have been my first post concerning the two 17" Studio Displays.

2014-01-29 21.21.29.jpg

Yes, that's my Quicksilver before all the modifications got really started.

Posted in February 2014, apparently the day after the arrival of my 20" ACD.

2014-02-01 11.32.23.jpg

So, the two above would constitute the earliest photos of my ACDs. Eight years later, the 20" is still showing up in pictures on this forum. :D

There's a 20" in my area for $10, and I'm thinking about it. If nothing else, just so it doesn't end up in a landfill. Are they good monitors? I have a bias toward CRTs, but I'm willing to give it a shot for that price.​

Ten bucks is a really good deal. I’ve had consistently good experiences with mine over the last eight years, although I often wish for a little more screen real estate to work with.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I'll join :)

22" with ADC is the only one I use for real. It serves as display for most of my PPC Macs (except the Beige G3). This is my current desk setup. Dell next to it is 24", (1920x1200) connected to my daily driver (MP). Almost no difference in physical dimensions :)

22-3.jpg

I also own 15" Studio Display ADC and Formac Gallery 20" DVI - both unused, both crippled (no legs), and with screen flaws - just collecting the dust for years. Maybe it's their electro waste time.

Would love to get 23" one some day, just for the sake of owning it, but for my current use these 1600x1024 are quite enough.

Last edited:

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
There's a 20" in my area for $10, and I'm thinking about it. If nothing else, just so it doesn't end up in a landfill. Are they good monitors? I have a bias toward CRTs, but I'm willing to give it a shot for that price.​
They're fine. Good for monitors of their age but not anything super amazing these days. If it's a 20" model that uses ADC and you have a Mac that has a card with ADC or it comes with the DVI adapter then $10 is a good deal. Otherwise to use it you're going to need to get a DVI adapter to use it with anything or even power it and that'll probably be at least $50 on eBay. So keep that in mind.

Reactions: lepidotós

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021

For a tenner, I'd run, not walk (assuming it works :D ). Obviously I like them as I own three, so am biased somewhat. They are old monitors with limited resolution, thick heavy bezels, a big foot print with a goofy & brittle tripod hinge design but are era correct to many of the powermacs we play with here and look great next to the tower & IMO have nice deep color saturation. Some folks think they are dark so if you like high gamma, these could be a bit dark for your visual tastes. I use one of the 22s for retro gaming Q3A, Q2, UT, ShogoMAD etc off that QS and find the gamma provides a nice "true black" to the dark areas on the screen. You will need an a1006 if you plan on using them with anything other than a powermac gpu & they can get very pricey. I own four of them, 1 was a gift, picked up 2 of them cheap over the past 5 years or so as I found them and one NIB that I picked up off shopgoodwill.com for like $20 bucks last year. I actually had a 5th but it died but heck the a1006 themselves are 20 years old LOL. Anyhoo, If you emotion buy, you'll pay through the nose for an a1006 but if you are in no hurry and take your time, you can absolutely find them in the under $25.00 USD shipped price category which is a good deal. Just keep a consistent eye out on used digital sales platforms, thrifting etc. & you'll find them once in a while.

As I spoke to earlier, they look really nice next to their era correct original powermac g4s and early g5s companions and is worth having one around because of this. You also get to experince the ADC AIO cable which I personally think is extremely cool vs three (pow/vid/usb) standard we still have today :rolleyes:

Anyhow, good luck. Hope you can snag it :)

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
You also get to experince the ADC AIO cable which I personally think is extremely cool vs three (pow/vid/usb) standard we still have today
This. Powering-on the computer using display power button is extremely cool IMHO. I always loved this back then, when these displays were in everyday use in prepress studios I worked in. ADC AIO cable is very useful, especially with Cubes (if you have/want to get one ofc).

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And a Zip drive! ???

I actually found some Jaz cartridges. I'd doubt that I could find a drive if my life depended on it! I took them apart. Boredom...

Oh, Amazon has people selling used drives. They start at $200+. I do wonder what was on those platters, but they are long gone now. Not worth the money to find out. I think they were used for backup at the time. Of what, Windows XP?

• Sad

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And a Zip drive! 👍👍👍
My G3 has a Zip drive and so does my G4. But I sent all the remaining Zip disks I had to someone years ago.

I don't use them anyway. The most they could hold is 100mb.

As a nostalgia sort of thing I can see the appeal. When I got my web design training in the late 90s a course requirement was 5 Zip disks. But actually using those things during that time period was usually an exercise in frustration. To this day I do not trust anything saved to a Zip disk. They were best used for sneakernet transfers from computer to computer and they failed often. A problem Dropbox solved.

I've lost more important files to Zip disks than I care to think about.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is getting me the idea of finding an old mac to use for the Infocom box that I found. I got into Zork rather late, unfortunately. It'd be a good distraction now I'm thinking...
I can remember walking into a small computer shop in the mid-80s and seeing all their Infocom software. Infocom did huge boxes for what amounted to a text-based adventure. The packaging was still cool enough though that I can remember it (I was 13 or 14 at the time).

I actually found some Jaz cartridges. I'd doubt that I could find a drive if my life depended on it! I took them apart. Boredom...

Oh, Amazon has people selling used drives. They start at $200+. I do wonder what was on those platters, but they are long gone now. Not worth the money to find out. I think they were used for backup at the time. Of what, Windows XP?

In the advertising, service bureau, and pre-press industry, we used Jaz 1GB and 2GB disks from clients for either adding or retrieving original-resolution digital scans of images being used in their print or web collateral. From a service bureau angle, we would put the high-res drum scans of a large format film transparency onto Jaz disks because they were generally too large for Zip disks. Their sizes were often in the hundreds of MB, and there might be several images from (or for) that client, resulting in the use of one or more Jaz disks for a particular job.

For a client which put out weekly circulars in the local newspaper (think of a supermarket or a Wal-Mart-type flyer insert), Jaz disks for a time were indispensable for this use: we’d often receive high-res originals from a photographer (then using early digital SLRs like the Kodak DCS system, matched to a Nikon or Canon body), from which our task was to not only touch up white balance and colour to client specs, but also creating clipping paths around the product or model so that those could be placed into the flyer layout using QuarkXPress or InDesign.

Eventually, online networks got faster and fewer film transparencies were being shot (resulting in fewer high-resolution drum scans being made), so more of everything began life as a digital file on a remote FTP server and the need for the “sneakernet” (transporting data physically, “on foot”), à la Jaz, Zip, CD-RW/DVD-RW, and even SyQuest disks, were no longer necessary.

My G3 has a Zip drive and so does my G4. But I sent all the remaining Zip disks I had to someone years ago.

Although I could only budget for the Yikes! G4 in ’99, one add-on I positively could not skimp on due to my job was springing for the Zip drive. Apple did a fantastic job with the Zip bezel, and the drive always worked as intended.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
In the advertising, service bureau, and pre-press industry, we used Jaz 1GB and 2GB disks from clients for either adding or retrieving original-resolution digital scans of images being used in their print or web collateral. From a service bureau angle, we would put the high-res drum scans of a large format film transparency onto Jaz disks because they were generally too large for Zip disks. Their sizes were often in the hundreds of MB, and there might be several images from (or for) that client, resulting in the use of one or more Jaz disks for a particular job.

For a client which put out weekly circulars in the local newspaper (think of a supermarket or a Wal-Mart-type flyer insert), Jaz disks for a time were indispensable for this use: we’d often receive high-res originals from a photographer (then using early digital SLRs like the Kodak DCS system, matched to a Nikon or Canon body), from which our task was to not only touch up white balance and colour to client specs, but also creating clipping paths around the product or model so that those could be placed into the flyer layout using QuarkXPress or InDesign.

Eventually, online networks got faster and fewer film transparencies were being shot (resulting in fewer high-resolution drum scans being made), so more of everything began life as a digital file on a remote FTP server and the need for the “sneakernet” (transporting data physically, “on foot”), à la Jaz, Zip, CD-RW/DVD-RW, and even SyQuest disks, were no longer necessary.

Although I could only budget for the Yikes! G4 in ’99, one add-on I positively could not skimp on due to my job was springing for the Zip drive. Apple did a fantastic job with the Zip bezel, and the drive always worked as intended.

I wasn't saying there wasn't a use, and it fit those uses extremely well. But Zip Drives and 'Click of Death' were notorious and something people did not want to have happen. It happened to me too often, sadly... The Apple internal Zip drive was awesome. Great idea. I only saw one 'in the wild'.

On 'strange media', I saw a MiniDisc autoloader at a stock market leader satellite office. I had never seen one before, or since, and the whole thing seemed so strange to see. It was part of a special system they used to tie to the home office through a dedicated fiber link with a satellite backup. Heady stuff. All I could do is look. 'NO TOUCH!!!' and I sure wanted to touch it... :D They had a lot of money tied up in that system. It was kind of a 'server', or possibly a terminal server/MUX box. Such a strange thing to see. So wanted to touch it... A MiniDisc autoloader? Weird...

Reactions: B S Magnet

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My main experience with Zip drives were the SCSI or USB 100mb externals. I had a 250MB USB external once and that was a primary motivator for me moving to Mac.

I agree that the hardware always worked. The fail point were the disks. I've tossed a lot of 100mb Zip disks away because they failed. You inserted the disk full of files and got presented with the 'Initialize Disk' popup. Somewhere, somehow, the media failed and now your only option to use the disk was to erase it (and lose all your files). Generally this happened within a few months or a year of using the disk, but there were always some that failed out of the box and others that defied expectations and were solid for years.

But losing an entire 250mb Zip disk full of important (to me) files that had no backup anywhere was the last straw for PC with me. While I blame PC, the USB drive had been having some issues. I'm partly to blame because I trusted the damn thing, but IOMega made crap 250mb USB drives I think. Combined with their out of nowhere random disk failures I just tossed out the baby with the bathwater and moved to Mac (and hard drives) for everything from that point on. Other than my own stupidity and the occasional hard drive failure I've had minimal issues since then.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I can remember walking into a small computer shop in the mid-80s and seeing all their Infocom software. Infocom did huge boxes for what amounted to a text-based adventure. The packaging was still cool enough though that I can remember it (I was 13 or 14 at the time).

I loved their goodies. AAMOF, someone stole my Don't Panic button from my coat. I was pissed...

The 'box' I have is one of their box sets of games. Kind of a bummer, no goodies, but all the maps, manuals, etc...

Reactions: eyoungren
I agree that the hardware always worked. The fail point were the disks. I've tossed a lot of 100mb Zip disks away because they failed. You inserted the disk full of files and got presented with the 'Initialize Disk' popup.

Gotta love the fatal flaw of Bernoulli drive tech and real-world shocks (like accidentally dropping the disk on the floor, even inside of its case). :rolleyes:

Also, the resounding bad rep of Iomega’s move to 250MB disks (I still don’t think the 250MB line was ready for prime-time) is what kept our clients using the more reliable 100MB standard, using a Jaz disk (which, given their heft and A + B = C logic of heavier + more capacity = more fragile/be careful! treament generally), or finally just relying on relatively “disposable” R/RW optical discs and/or FTP servers.

It’s perplexing that Iomega’s Zip disks overshadowed the far more robust and reliable tech of Magneto-Optical disks. Unlike Zip/Jaz disks, there was no r/w magnetic head, and the media handled environmental hazards a lot better overall. I guess the-then slow write speeds is what enticed people to move from diskettes directly up to Zip disks (along with the more familiar, “This is magnetic spinny tech of the general same size as a diskette”).

I was again reminded of MO’s robustness when a friend gifted me with an OEM factory-fresh Buffalo MO drive directly from Japan last year (and which still has that “new factory product” smell). I still have an MO disk in storage on the other coast with a big chunk of my early graphic design work which I could, once I retrieve it, now open again. And I’m quite sure the disk’s contents have held up well.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Gotta love the fatal flaw of Bernoulli drive tech and real-world shocks (like accidentally dropping the disk on the floor, even inside of its case). :rolleyes:

Also, the resounding bad rep of Iomega’s move to 250MB disks (I still don’t think the 250MB line was ready for prime-time) is what kept our clients using the more reliable 100MB standard, using a Jaz disk (which, given their heft and A + B = C logic of heavier + more capacity = more fragile/be careful! treament generally), or finally just relying on relatively “disposable” R/RW optical discs and/or FTP servers.
When I first moved to Phoenix, the newspaper I worked for was using 100mb Zip disks to send our paper to the printer. I don't recall any issues (other than fonts) but I wasn't responsible for how it was transmitted. At some point we started burning CDs to transfer.

Once the printer got FTP though that whole disk (Zip and CD) thing stopped. It also meant we were making PDFs at that point rather than providing the QXP file and images.

My mom used to teach computer science so she had a Jaz drive at one point. She even let me borrow it, but I never used it because I didn't have any Jaz disks. At the time I had no need for it so paying the ridiculous prices for them wasn't justified.

My mom used to teach computer science so she had a Jaz drive at one point. She even let me borrow it, but I never used it because I didn't have any Jaz disks. At the time I had no need for it so paying the ridiculous prices for them wasn't justified.

Generally, I found the significantly higher costs of a Jaz drive, relative to the Zip drive, and its media confined its use to mostly professional settings. I only ever encountered Jaz disks and drives in the workplace and never really on anyone’s home computer — and even then, most of that workplace usage happened between about late ’98 or early ’99, and maybe until around ’03.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
As a nostalgia sort of thing I can see the appeal. When I got my web design training in the late 90s a course requirement was 5 Zip disks.

Same. I took some web dev/HTML & photoshop courses at my local community college as electives out of highschool in the late 90s and I recall having to go out and buy the zip drive pictured and 5 disks for those classes. I still have a number of website assignments I built for the courses stored on them - being an avid FPS clan gamer at the time, many of them are clan sites centered around the games we/I was active on - goofy webring, archaic web1.1 kind of stuff :) At this point I have a number of scsi and usb zip100s and a B&W & DA with them built in, so they are still used when I am feeling nostalgic. I've gone far enough to have a couple different icons specificly for the different designs of them.

Now speaking of odd removeable media cravings - I would love to get my hands on a magneto drive + the zip bezel and put that into my quicksilver. Super duper cool and extremely reliable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.