Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Anyone know where I can get a replacement inverter board for the 15-inch Studio Display (m2454)? I got myself one of these cute little things, but within a minute of them being plugged in the screen goes black and I get a flashing orange error light.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Ok I might rephrase my question, as I've found how to get an inverter board.

My 15-inch Studio Display displays an image when plugged in (tried on a number of Macs, including PowerPC and Intel), but after about a minute or two, the screen turns off and I get an orange flashing error light- 3 pulses, repeatedly.

Can anyone confirm whether this is a problem with the inverter board? The display, when working for the initial minute, is perfect, and can even adjust brightness. There is no action I do that causes it to switch off abruptly, and I tried multiple adapters and Macs- same problem on all.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just picked up a 17-inch Studio Display. Love it... but one problem, I can't control the brightness. I tried System Prefs in OS9, OSX 10.4 and on newer Macs, but couldn't get a brightness control- using ADC-DVI adapter with USB connected too. It's stuck at max- too bright.

Anyone know how to force the control to appear?

IMG_3434.jpeg

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
Anyone know how to force the control to appear?
Brightness control requires USB. Does the display’s USB hub show up in System Profiler? Do USB devices plugged into it work? As for using the display with newer Macs, the kexts for brightness control on ADC LCDs (AppleBacklight.kext, AppleBacklightExpert.kext, AppleUSBDisplays.kext) were removed in 10.9.

Last edited:

tfelder

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2023
My Cinema Display is operating at half brightness because one backlight bulb is broken. The power indicator is flashing, which indicates the backlight needs to be replaced.

Has anyone replaced the CCFL backlight tubes with LED strips such as these on aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962028886.html

?​

If not, is there still a source for CCFL bulbs and how hard is it to peel apart the panel. I've never gone beyond the IO/Power board behind the acrylic cover.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Acrylic Cinema Display owners, I need your help!
I have a spare 22-inch Cinema Display. I want to make the leap to the 23-inch for full-HD, but the one available in my area is missing the rear leg.
Does anyone know if the 22 and 23-inch rear legs are interchangeable?

Over on TD , folks designed a 15” hinge in chitubox and sent the file to Shapeways. If you have the broken hinge bits you could do the same if sourcing a hinge in Australia proves to be tough. Best of luck to you. :)

I guess one could say this solution… hinges on whether one is OK with their replacement being made of non-acrylic-moulded materials.

(Sorry all, the whole point of this reply was to make a bad pun. Please report me.)

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I'm now a member of the club! Yesterday at my workplace's satellite warehouse I picked up a 17" Apple Studio Display with ADC connection!
FA6E3155-C906-4991-A309-FC35F653D01C_1_201_a.jpeg

It's missing the back stand, but I'm sure I can find a replacement stand. Until then I've got it propped up against a few things when it's hooked up to my Mirror Drive Door G4 tower. ADC is pretty convenient, how I don't need to plug in an extra AC power cord.

i picked up a 17" at my local value village back in december and i have it running alongside my 22" using an apple dvi to adc adapter View attachment 2359758

The “like” became ”love” the moment I saw the bondi-themed Imation Superdrive. I used to own one of those, and there are the rare times when I wonder why I didn’t keep it around.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
More pics of my 17" Apple Studio Display in action:

AAF5ACE7-BB56-4DB1-9A3D-EBA3B900821A_1_102_a.jpeg

Browsing Macintosh Repository via Classilla! I love seeing that message of the site saluting me for running it on an old Mac.

FE4F60F2-7DAC-4701-8BEB-F18CD21D71F9_1_102_a.jpeg

Adobe Premiere 6.5 on Mac OS 9. Like I said, this was the last version of Premiere to work on PowerPC Macs, and was a a decent less-expensive alternative to Final Cut Pro for multitrack Mac video editing, until Final Cut Express came out. (Though some things on pre-Pro versions of Premiere were harder to do, like panning and cropping and chromakey.)

186AF6EA-9F90-4E1B-B785-1076E0FCE687_1_102_a.jpeg

The older versions of Final Cut Pro that ran on Mac OS 9 were also considerably more complicated, but I can see why this was so popular with professional video editors in the early 2000s (this is FCP 3).

s0s

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
These are just a couple of my several PowerPC Macs. My Quicksilver has some minor glitch in the video card, but it's not bad enough for me to replace it yet. If there is anything in the lower half of the screen, it shows pink lines across the screen horizontally. I confirmed it's the video card because it does it to other monitors.

IMG_8465.JPG

I also need to get a new battery for my clamshell iBook, and a new optical drive, but that's a lower priority. I installed Mac OS 8.6 from a flashdrive last night. I also replaced the original 6 GB hd with a 40 GB hd. That was a major PITA. I had to take almost the entire laptop apart just to replace the hd. *facepalm directed at the Apple engineers*

IMG_8469.JPG

IMG_8470.JPG

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.