Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
Yes, I believe that was the flight - I had forgotten the actual name & number of the flight, so thank you for the reminder.

An article I read posited the argument that rather than an unexplained and tragic accident, that the peculiar flight path might have offered clues to the pilot's state of mind, especially when it was realised that it passed close (on a detour) to the place where it was thought he grew up, or lived in.
You're welcome. I paid attention to MH370 for a while, but admittedly not in the last year, because that happened right after my pops transferred to the Boeing 777F.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
SDCommemorativeEdition.jpg

Here's a fun read for your SR-71 fans. This is an excerpt from Brian Schul's book Sled Driver : Flying the World's Fastest Jet:

There were a lot of things we couldn't do in an SR-71, but we were the fastest guys on the block and loved reminding our fellow aviators of this fact. People often asked us if, because of this fact, it was fun to fly the jet. Fun would not be the first word I would use to describe flying this plane. Intense, maybe. Even cerebral. But there was one day in our Sled experience when we would have to say that it was pure fun to be the fastest guys out there, at least for a moment.

It occurred when Walt and I were flying our final training sortie. We needed 100 hours in the jet to complete our training and attain Mission Ready status. Somewhere over Colorado we had passed the century mark. We had made the turn in Arizona and the jet was performing flawlessly. My gauges were wired in the front seat and we were starting to feel pretty good about ourselves, not only because we would soon be flying real missions but because we had gained a great deal of confidence in the plane in the past ten months. Ripping across the barren deserts 80,000 feet below us, I could already see the coast of California from the Arizona border. I was, finally, after many humbling months of simulators and study, ahead of the jet.

I was beginning to feel a bit sorry for Walter in the back seat. There he was, with no really good view of the incredible sights before us, tasked with monitoring four different radios. This was good practice for him for when we began flying real missions, when a priority transmission from headquarters could be vital. It had been difficult, too, for me to relinquish control of the radios, as during my entire flying career I had controlled my own transmissions. But it was part of the division of duties in this plane and I had adjusted to it. I still insisted on talking on the radio while we were on the ground, however. Walt was so good at many things, but he couldn't match my expertise at sounding smooth on the radios, a skill that had been honed sharply with years in fighter squadrons where the slightest radio miscue was grounds for beheading. He understood that and allowed me that luxury.

Just to get a sense of what Walt had to contend with, I pulled the radio toggle switches and monitored the frequencies along with him. The predominant radio chatter was from Los Angeles Center, far below us, controlling daily traffic in their sector. While they had us on their scope (albeit briefly), we were in uncontrolled airspace and normally would not talk to them unless we needed to descend into their airspace.

We listened as the shaky voice of a lone Cessna pilot asked Center for a readout of his ground speed. Center replied: "November Charlie 175, I'm showing you at ninety knots on the ground."

Now the thing to understand about Center controllers, was that whether they were talking to a rookie pilot in a Cessna, or to Air Force One, they always spoke in the exact same, calm, deep, professional, tone that made one feel important. I referred to it as the "Houston Center voice." I have always felt that after years of seeing documentaries on this country's space program and listening to the calm and distinct voice of the Houston controllers, that all other controllers since then wanted to sound like that, and that they basically did. And it didn't matter what sector of the country we would be flying in, it always seemed like the same guy was talking. Over the years that tone of voice had become somewhat of a comforting sound to pilots everywhere. Conversely, over the years, pilots always wanted to ensure that, when transmitting, they sounded like Chuck Yeager, or at least like John Wayne. Better to die than sound bad on the radios.

Just moments after the Cessna's inquiry, a Twin Beech piped up on frequency, in a rather superior tone, asking for his ground speed. "I have you at one hundred and twenty-five knots of ground speed." Boy, I thought, the Beechcraft really must think he is dazzling his Cessna brethren. Then out of the blue, a navy F-18 pilot out of NAS Lemoore came up on frequency. You knew right away it was a Navy jock because he sounded very cool on the radios. "Center, Dusty 52 ground speed check". Before Center could reply, I'm thinking to myself, hey, Dusty 52 has a ground speed indicator in that million-dollar cockpit, so why is he asking Center for a readout? Then I got it, ol' Dusty here is making sure that every bug smasher from Mount Whitney to the Mojave knows what true speed is. He's the fastest dude in the valley today, and he just wants everyone to know how much fun he is having in his new Hornet. And the reply, always with that same, calm, voice, with more distinct alliteration than emotion: "Dusty 52, Center, we have you at 620 on the ground."

And I thought to myself, is this a ripe situation, or what? As my hand instinctively reached for the mic button, I had to remind myself that Walt was in control of the radios. Still, I thought, it must be done - in mere seconds we'll be out of the sector and the opportunity will be lost. That Hornet must die, and die now. I thought about all of our Sim training and how important it was that we developed well as a crew and knew that to jump in on the radios now would destroy the integrity of all that we had worked toward becoming. I was torn.

Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet. Then, I heard it. The click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke: "Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?" There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if it was an everyday request. "Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground."

I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice: "Ah, Center, much thanks, we're showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money."

For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A.came back with, "Roger that Aspen, Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours. You boys have a good one."

It all had lasted for just moments, but in that short, memorable sprint across the southwest, the Navy had been flamed, all mortal airplanes on freq were forced to bow before the King of Speed, and more importantly, Walter and I had crossed the threshold of being a crew. A fine day's work. We never heard another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast.

For just one day, it truly was fun being the fastest guys out there.​

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
I am currently a First Officer for JetBlue on the Airbus A320 fleet which includes the A320 and A321. My flight experience started in 2000 when I attended college and majored in Aeronautical Science and flew various smaller aircraft. When I graduated I went to the Air Force's Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training in Georgia where I flew the Beechcraft T-6 Texan II and Northrop AT-38 Talon.
800px-T-6A_Texan_II.jpg

800px-T38-Bank.JPEG

While at SUPT I dropped the F-16 and flew the F-16 for most of the remainder of my active duty tour, including tours as a Weapons Instructor and some deployments.
800px-80th_Fighter_Squadron_F-16D_in_training_exercise.jpg

My last tour was flying the T-38 in Texas at Advanced Fighter Training.
800px-T38-Bank.JPEG

After I got out of the Air Force I flew the Airbus A320 fleet for Virgin America which included the A319 and A320. I left prior to the acquisition by Alaska Airlines.
800px-Virgin_America_A320_N839VA_%22myles_from_connemara%22_%287571912508%29.jpg

Since I had a lot of time off I ended up in the Air Force Reserves where the best flying vacancy for a pilot of my rank was flying the Boeing C-40 Clipper which is a Boeing 737-700 based VIP transport jet. I stayed there until my wife ended up deploying and I needed to take care of our kids. As much as I missed flying fighters I enjoyed my time on the C-40 and got the opportunity to travel to a lot of cool places.
800px-932d_Airlift_Wing_Boeing_C-40C_Clipper_09-0540.jpg

After my wife returned I ended up in my current gig at JetBlue flying the Embraer 190 and later the Airbus A320 and A321.
800px-JetBlue_-_Embraer_190_-_N266JB_-_2012-07-16.jpg

800px-JetBlue_Airways%2C_Airbus_A321-231%28WL%29%2C_N946JL.jpg

Since I am a fighter pilot and get bored flying commercial airliners I ended up back in the Air Force Reserves flying the F-16 after a 3 year break.
800px-57adtactsgroup-F16.jpg

While I like my gig at JetBlue I have an interview scheduled with another airline and I am looking forward to the possibility of a change.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Cebu will become the first LCC to operate freighters (converted ATR 72-500).

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
For those who are pilots which headset do you use and which aircraft do you use it on? I have a Bose A20 that I was issued when I flew the Boeing C-40 Clipper and I used it on the Embraer 190 and Airbus A319 and currently use it on the Airbus A320 and A321. Also what luggage do you use? I want to replace my headset and luggage but don't know what to get.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For those who are pilots which headset do you use and which aircraft do you use it on? I have a Bose A20 that I was issued when I flew the Boeing C-40 Clipper and I used it on the Embraer 190 and Airbus A319 and currently use it on the Airbus A320 and A321. Also what luggage do you use? I want to replace my headset and luggage but don't know what to get.

I used stock Airbus headphones. Before that a Telex earpiece. Luggage by TravelPro. I made sure I had the wheel bearings upgraded which was inexpensive to do. :) Stop Over Store, in the Minneapolis-St.Paul Airport and other locations, see link. But they ship for free, I think. I realize you may want to see your luggage in person before buying.
http://crewoutfitters.com/default/stop-over-store-redirect

https://crewoutfitters.com/default/store-locations/

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I used stock Airbus headphones. Before that a Telex earpiece. Luggage by TravelPro. I made sure I had the wheel bearings upgraded which was inexpensive to do. :) Stop Over Store, in the Minneapolis-St.Paul Airport and other locations, see link. But they ship for free, I think. I realize you may want to see your luggage in person before buying.

I will never buy from crew outfitters again. Crappy customer service. Acutabove is much better.

Anyway I use the Bose A20 on the ERJ145. Luggageworks for my crew bag.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I will never buy from crew outfitters again. Crappy customer service. Acutabove is much better.

The Stopover Store in Minneapolis was excellent (in my experience) for repairs over the time period that I used them (1986-2011). I also bought my Travel Pro luggage from them. Their convienence of location was also a factor since I was based there.

Of note, in the realm of luggage, you could purchase luggage substantially more expensive than Travel Pro, but in my experience, it holds up well (although I’m not familiar with current models), it was repairable, the wheels and handles, the two items that eventually needed repair, at a reasonable cost, and the store would give you a loaner. My rationale was it was approximately half the price of another “tank luggage” brand (can’t remember the name), so I could replace it twice as often, which it turned out, I did not need to. I’m not familiar with Luggageworks. :)

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018

I use my own headset because I have seen some dirty stock headphones before. So far I haven't heard anything bad about Telex and TravelPro seems to be one of the more popular brands out there. I was looking at Rimowa after my sister recommended it but they're expensive and I doubt it will take long for the metal to scratch. I haven't been to MSP since I was BOS based but I heard Stop Over Store was a good place to shop. I am using TravelPro currently but want to see what else is out there.

Acutabove is a good shop. I haven't purchased anything from them in a while but I haven't had a bad experience with them. How is the Bose A20 on the ERJ145? I haven't jump seated in an ERJ145 in a while and when I did I never plugged my headset in.
The Stopover Store in Minneapolis was excellent (in my experience) for repairs over the time period that I used them (1986-2011). I also bought my Travel Pro luggage from them. Their convienence of location was also a factor since I was based there.

Of note, in the realm of luggage, you could purchase luggage substantially more expensive than Travel Pro, but in my experience, it holds up well (although I’m not familiar with current models), it was repairable, the wheels and handles, the two items that eventually needed repair, at a reasonable cost, and the store would give you a loaner. My rationale was it was approximately half the price of another “tank luggage” brand (can’t remember the name), so I could replace it twice as often, which it turned out, I did not need to. I’m not familiar with Luggageworks. :)
I have a family member who is MSP based currently so I might send them in Stop Over Store to do my leg work. My TravelPro has held up but it looks like it's been drug down the runway a few times. It was the cheapest piece of luggage I could find when I was in college and so far I haven't replaced the wheels or handle. I am fine using it until it falls apart but my wife wants me to get new luggage if I get a job with the company I am interviewing with next week. I have no personal experience with Luggageworks but I know people who use them and they have no complaints. The new luggage and headset purchase is being driven by my wife and I think we can compromise on just the luggage since I have the Bose A20 which is one of the best headsets available.

Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I use my own headset because I have seen some dirty stock headphones before. So far I haven't heard anything bad about Telex and TravelPro seems to be one of the more popular brands out there. I was looking at Rimowa after my sister recommended it but they're expensive and I doubt it will take long for the metal to scratch. I haven't been to MSP since I was BOS based but I heard Stop Over Store was a good place to shop. I am using TravelPro currently but want to see what else is out there.

Acutabove is a good shop. I haven't purchased anything from them in a while but I haven't had a bad experience with them. How is the Bose A20 on the ERJ145? I haven't jump seated in an ERJ145 in a while and when I did I never plugged my headset in.

I have a family member who is MSP based currently so I might send them in Stop Over Store to do my leg work. My TravelPro has held up but it looks like it's been drug down the runway a few times. It was the cheapest piece of luggage I could find when I was in college and so far I haven't replaced the wheels or handle. I am fine using it until it falls apart but my wife wants me to get new luggage if I get a job with the company I am interviewing with next week. I have no personal experience with Luggageworks but I know people who use them and they have no complaints. The new luggage and headset purchase is being driven by my wife and I think we can compromise on just the luggage since I have the Bose A20 which is one of the best headsets available.

Rimowa is very good, - but the stylish black does scratch - as is Hartmann; I have both.

Over the years, I have also had quite a few cases of different sizes by Samsonite, which were invariably excellent.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

The A20 in the 145 is great. The 145 is a noisy cockpit( it's an EMB120 with turbofan engines slapped on it going M.78) and the A20 manages to mute out all that wind noise to where the static noise from the hot mic is the loudest sound you hear. Turn it off and it's completely quiet.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
Rimowa is very good, - but the stylish black does scratch - as is Hartmann; I have both.

Over the years, I have also had quite a few cases of different sizes by Samsonite, which were invariably excellent.
My sister uses Rimowa and recommended it to me but since I would use it a lot I am sure it would get scratched. I didn't know Hartmann was still around.
The A20 in the 145 is great. The 145 is a noisy cockpit( it's an EMB120 with turbofan engines slapped on it going M.78) and the A20 manages to mute out all that wind noise to where the static noise from the hot mic is the loudest sound you hear. Turn it off and it's completely quiet.
I agree the A20 is great! Shortly before I left the C-40 unit the cord on mine was tearing and I went to get it replaced and was issued some cheap headset that I ended up giving to someone when I did leave. Luckily I was able to replace the cable for $195.95 from Bose and I haven't had any issues since. I looked at the Bose ProFlight but the reviews on other forums aren't good. It seems like the ProFlight was a good idea that was poorly implemented.
I haven't flown on a Q400 in a while. I am glad to see Bombardier is still producing them.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
Well, the Dash 8 400 Series only entered service in 1999, and was upgraded to Q in 2000.
I know this already. I used to jump seat on some Q400 before I started jump seating on cargo aircraft because it is easier out of Las Vegas.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I know this already. I used to jump seat on some Q400 before I started jump seating on cargo aircraft because it is easier out of Las Vegas.
And the first NextGen was delivered in 2009. Extra Capacity in 2014.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You live in Vegas and commute to NYC?

The only commuting I did was Minneapolis to Detroit as a new hire, and Nashville to Minneapolis until I determine, I could not do that for another 20 years. In many cases I would be home for 1.5 days before having to leave again. Within 3 years of retiring, I commuted Houston to Minneapolis because I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. The worst commute I’ve heard of is Southern Virginia to Seattle, and Spain to Minneapolis. That is just too hard on the body, at least mine. ;)

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
You live in Vegas and commute to NYC?

The only commuting I did was Minneapolis to Detroit as a new hire, and Nashville to Minneapolis until I determine, I could not do that for another 20 years. In many cases I would be home for 1.5 days before having to leave again. Within 3 years of retiring, I commuted Houston to Minneapolis because I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. The worst commute I’ve heard of is Southern Virginia to Seattle, and Spain to Minneapolis. That is just too hard on the body, at least mine. ;)
Yes, I commute LAS to JFK and prior to JFK it was to BOS. I live in Vegas because my wife is still in the Air Force and she's stationed at Nellis and I am from the Reno area and like Nevada. I hoped to get hired by Southwest because of their Vegas base but when I applied it was hard to get hired with Southwest. Other carriers have Vegas bases but I am not sure how they will survive in the future. There are 4 airlines that have direct JFK flights and 3 that went to Boston. Usually I am able to get on a FedEx flight to Indianapolis or a UPS flight through Louisville then on to JFK. It is hard and not ideal, but luckily I have a lot of options to get to JFK. It is actually easier now than when I was with my previous airline and commuted to SFO and LAX out of Vegas which is not what I was expecting. I've only had to purchase a ticket once and that was because I had to be home and couldn't risk it. Things might change in the next year when my wife is up for orders or if I get the job I interview for soon. Were you living in Houston and based out of Minneapolis?

Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My sister uses Rimowa and recommended it to me but since I would use it a lot I am sure it would get scratched. I didn't know Hartmann was still around.

Well, I bought mine in late 2016, and it is excellent.

Re Rimowa, I'd recommend the standard 'steel' colour - scratches do show on the black metal case (I have a small one), but - yes - it is very stylish.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
Well, I bought mine in late 2016, and it is excellent.

Re Rimowa, I'd recommend the standard 'steel' colour - scratches do show on the black metal case (I have a small one), but - yes - it is very stylish.
That's good to know they're still around. Which Hartmann do you have? I used to have some of their pieces in the past but I have no idea where they are. I liked them and their products felt like quality pieces.
My sister is also an airline pilot and she uses the Rimowa Classic Cabin 35L and I was debating between that and the Rimowa Original Cabin 34L. The Classic is only available in steel and the Original is available in steel, black and titanium. I was leaning towards the black but after your recommendation I am looking at the Original in steel now. Thanks for telling me the black gets scratches.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That's good to know they're still around. Which Hartmann do you have? I used to have some of their pieces in the past but I have no idea where they are. I liked them and their products felt like quality pieces.
My sister is also an airline pilot and she uses the Rimowa Classic Cabin 35L and I was debating between that and the Rimowa Original Cabin 34L. The Classic is only available in steel and the Original is available in steel, black and titanium. I was leaning towards the black but after your recommendation I am looking at the Original in steel now. Thanks for telling me the black gets scratches.

The black looks amazing, but, yes, it does scratch (what shows is the steel beneath); I tell myself that it is the sign of a used case, a case that has had - or is having- an adventurous life.

My Hartmann is a large Hartmann 7R spinner; although bought in 2016,and not used until last year, it now has a dent or two - I have done a lot of (work related) travelling in the past year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.