Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
This presentation signified, again, one of the best way to present a product. Steve Jobs is (was) still a master chef in product announcements. The tone, the cadence, the pace, the tease, the reveal, all are beautiful and timeless. He is in complete control of not only the presentation, but the audience as well. It is in contrast to pretty much everybody else (including Tim Cook and other Apple executives) who are too stiff and obvious that they are reading teleprompters. Craig has the enthusiasm, but he's more like an excited kid, while Jobs is just a master wizard. The rest, including Cook, sorry to say, are lethargic and robotic. Of course, the competitors are even worse.

I wouldn't comment on the products, but I always tip my hat off to Jobs in regards to presentation. Masterfully done.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Ipod....phone....internet communicator.... i love that part of the presentation. Really showed how revolutionary the iphone would be as bringing multiple devices that we used back then (along with a camera) into one sleek package.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I loved it when he kept saying an iPod, a phone and an internet communicator and people thought he was talking about 3 separate devices.
I don't believe a single person in that room and (at least) 95% of the people watching the stream thought he was talking about three separate devices. Everyone knew the iPhone was going to be announced that day if I recall correctly.

Still, it's fun. :)

Reactions: rui no onna

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Only thing bad on the iPhone is Apple Maps...
I love how no matter the thread topic, if anybody is praising anything Apple related there's always at least one person dropping in to criticize something.

Tell me, @Spetsgruppa, what does Steve Jobs' presentation skills and the introduction of the first iPhone have to do with Apple Maps?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This presentation signified, again, one of the best way to present a product. Steve Jobs is (was) still a master chef in product announcements. The tone, the cadence, the pace, the tease, the reveal, all are beautiful and timeless. He is in complete control of not only the presentation, but the audience as well. It is in contrast to pretty much everybody else (including Tim Cook and other Apple executives) who are too stiff and obvious that they are reading teleprompters. Craig has the enthusiasm, but he's more like an excited kid, while Jobs is just a master wizard. The rest, including Cook, sorry to say, are lethargic and robotic. Of course, the competitors are even worse.

I wouldn't comment on the products, but I always tip my hat off to Jobs in regards to presentation. Masterfully done.

Well I mean Steve did found the company and it was his baby, his attachment to everything they did was beautiful, he was very passionate....sometimes a little too passionate and obsessed.

I get the feeling Steve saw Apple like it was one of his kids, to him it was not just a company but something he loved, cared for and would possibly die for. He was less concerned about money and shareholders and much more concerned about the products and customer experience.

Tim Cook and the others may all have deep feelings about Apple to but nobody will ever love the company as much as Steve.

I guess it also helps that he was a brilliant salesman and understood how to take a customer on a journey, to give them context, understanding and then a reason to buy without reading out a spec sheet but rather looking at it from a consumer perspective. So many brands still get this so wrong.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I am in the minority here where Steve Jobs presentation did not work for me. Like not at all. I am not talking about this specific one, I am talking in general. I have been shown some of his presentation as a training material on how to do good presentations.

I get what you all guys say in terms of the fact that he was passionate about the products and he believed in them. I also agree that he did not rely just on teleprompter and had better acting skills. He for sure was prepared, knew his speech and would sense the audience.

That being said I had two major issues with Steve Jobs in terms of his skills:

1. Him repeating. I am not stupid and I have no need to hear the same thing numerous times. It was not working for me. It was annoying.
2. His arrogant stance on he knows what customers know the best. No he does not. I know the best what I want and no company can ever beat that.

Btw back then during this time I would have not bought an Apple device just because Steve Jobs rubbed me the wrong way.

I am not saying that your not correct guys, I am giving you the perspective of a person that bought her first Apple device in 2018. And I am telling you that I am not sure I would have bought an Apple device if Steve Jobs was still Apple CEO because his behavior and attitude was not impressing me.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Have to agree with anyone who says he was a master salesman. It's all about the approach, not just the pitch. When I sold cars for a living, the guy who taught me, taught me one very important lesson:

Don't sell a car to someone. Sell that person to the car.

Solid advice, Steve Jobs knew it

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
I love how no matter the thread topic, if anybody is praising anything Apple related there's always at least one person dropping in to criticize something.

Tell me, @Spetsgruppa, what does Steve Jobs' presentation skills and the introduction of the first iPhone have to do with Apple Maps?
Owh so the forum is just for pure praising? Okay noted.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
i wish i watch the presentation, at the time i had no idea about keynote presentation. All i knew was ipodlounge at the time which is my go to apple website, before macrumors took off. I bought the first iphone two within the first few months after it was jailbroken to work for tmobile. those were the days. Had to use jailbreak phones to make them work outside of at&t.

pw5a29

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
Coventry, United Kingdom

I agree with the part that Jobs controlled the audience as well.

He knew what the audience would like to hear and expected the reactions as well.

Reactions: LFC2020

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Owh so the forum is just for pure praising? Okay noted.
Ridiculous. How did you garner that from what I posted? I mean, you can go back and read it as many times as you want because it’s right there and no matter how many times you read it, it will never say “no criticizing Apple” or anything of the sort.

My critique is you bagging on Apple Maps, which wasn’t even a thing during this presentation.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
i wish i watch the presentation, at the time i had no idea about keynote presentation. All i knew was ipodlounge at the time which is my go to apple website, before macrumors took off. I bought the first iphone two within the first few months after it was jailbroken to work for tmobile. those were the days. Had to use jailbreak phones to make them work outside of at&t.
I think the first iPhone launch I watched was the iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.