Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
the blue tag states: iPhone5 or earlier in white text
that was good enough for me!
Posting to inflate post count?

That post needed more info as well I'm not quite sure what you mean it's not worth much iCloud wise, my 5 still works with iCloud fine

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Posting to inflate post count?

That post needed more info as well I'm not quite sure what you mean it's not worth much iCloud wise, my 5 still works with iCloud fine
Mine is not recently, the iphone still works, but i have noticed a significant loss in production and i always need to log onto the wifi since jan 2021.
For instance in stuck with a no photos or videos on "photos" so i need to shut the phone down now

personally. I'm not into numbers and post counts i would rather have 1 post that meant 10 posts.

Irishappleuser

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019
I do rewatch that video on and off because it’s where this whole circus started. I love the reaction when he demonstrated how to open the iphone. It’s still a great reaction. I also weirdly watch the iOS 7 video with Jonny Ive explaining the whole thinking around the new look of iOS 7 compared to the six previous iOS versions. The Day after the iOS 7 launch I remember a work colleague ever go out of their way to stop me to talk about iOS 7. It’s happened since then but never like that first time.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
the blue tag states: iPhone5 or earlier in white text
that was good enough for me!

Sweet and so insightful! Newsflash folks, stop reading the OP just look for the blue tag. All will be clear from there.

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
I am in the minority here where Steve Jobs presentation did not work for me. Like not at all. I am not talking about this specific one, I am talking in general. I have been shown some of his presentation as a training material on how to do good presentations.

I get what you all guys say in terms of the fact that he was passionate about the products and he believed in them. I also agree that he did not rely just on teleprompter and had better acting skills. He for sure was prepared, knew his speech and would sense the audience.

That being said I had two major issues with Steve Jobs in terms of his skills:

1. Him repeating. I am not stupid and I have no need to hear the same thing numerous times. It was not working for me. It was annoying.
2. His arrogant stance on he knows what customers know the best. No he does not. I know the best what I want and no company can ever beat that.

Btw back then during this time I would have not bought an Apple device just because Steve Jobs rubbed me the wrong way.

I am not saying that your not correct guys, I am giving you the perspective of a person that bought her first Apple device in 2018. And I am telling you that I am not sure I would have bought an Apple device if Steve Jobs was still Apple CEO because his behavior and attitude was not impressing me.
Yea I'm sorry but I have to agree, and actually it was part of my reason for leaving Apple back in the late 90's, with Photoshop it always ran the best in Mac's until Photoshop 5 came out, I waisted so much time and lost so much work seeing that stupid pinwheel of death when trying to use Photoshop, Steve Jobs blamed the problems on Adobe and doing so almost ruined an amazing partnership with Adobe/Photoshop, 5.5 came along and still lost work and waisted time, because apple refused to address the problem, so like many designers and photographers at the time i left with the mass exodus and ran to Windows based computers, it wasn't until after he left Apple for the final time that I and many others came back to Apple, even though I'm still doing my real work on a Windows based computer.
He wasn't a god, but an arrogant a**...

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Personally, I only got into the iPhone post-'generation X', hehe. Never was a Jobs fan, just care about the tech, and I had countless smartphones before, during, and after, the iPhone’s launch (yes, I had one of the first iPhones - didn’t impress me much (Shania Twain). The iPhone X brought me back, because that’s the first time iOS really started to appear progressive enough for me. I think Steve Jobs was overrated and too conservative, just like Bill Gates. I consider them dinosaurs in today’s tech world, and I don’t see the appeal other than misguided nostalgia.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I think the first iPhone launch I watched was the iPhone 4.
Gosh I don’t even remember. I must have watch iPod reveals but probably on delay. I was already a fanboy with the iPods LOL so I must have watched iPhone keynotes for sure, not live of course.

Reactions: LFC2020

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Yea I'm sorry but I have to agree, and actually it was part of my reason for leaving Apple back in the late 90's, with Photoshop it always ran the best in Mac's until Photoshop 5 came out, I waisted so much time and lost so much work seeing that stupid pinwheel of death when trying to use Photoshop, Steve Jobs blamed the problems on Adobe and doing so almost ruined an amazing partnership with Adobe/Photoshop, 5.5 came along and still lost work and waisted time, because apple refused to address the problem, so like many designers and photographers at the time i left with the mass exodus and ran to Windows based computers, it wasn't until after he left Apple for the final time that I and many others came back to Apple, even though I'm still doing my real work on a Windows based computer.
He wasn't a god, but an arrogant a**...
I don't think that's a surprise that Jobs was a d1ck. But imo that doesn't have anything to do with his presentation skills. One can acknowledge a person's ability without validating the person's whole behavior.

And Jobs did approve antennagate as well. But that didn't change the presentation quality of the iPhone 4. :)

Tim Cook is not such a soft and nice person either..
One day back then, he convened a meeting with his team, and the discussion turned to a particular problem in Asia. "This is really bad," Cook told the group. "Someone should be in China driving this." Thirty minutes into that meeting Cook looked at Sabih Khan, a key operations executive, and abruptly asked, without a trace of emotion, "Why are you still here?" Khan, who remains one of Cook's top lieutenants to this day, immediately stood up, drove to San Francisco International Airport, and, without a change of clothes, booked a flight to China with no return date, according to people familiar with the episode. The story is vintage Cook: demanding and unemotional.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Gosh I don’t even remember. I must have watch iPod reveals but probably on delay. I was already a fanboy with the iPods LOL so I must have watched iPhone keynotes for sure, not live of course.
Bet you were one of them people who would line up for a iPhone launch overnight. ??

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
I don't think that's a surprise that Jobs was a d1ck. But imo that doesn't have anything to do with his presentation skills. One can acknowledge a person's ability without validating the person's whole behavior.

And Jobs did approve antennagate as well. But that didn't change the presentation quality of the iPhone 4. :)

If you can't separate the "dickness" from the person, than you can't see the "greatness" of his presentation...

Especially when you have met the person in real life, all you see is an arrogant fool.

Last edited:
  • Wow

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
If you can't separate the "dickness" from the person, than you can't see the "greatness" of his presentation...

Especially when you have met the person in real life, all you see is an arrogant fool.
You meet the great man?

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Indeed a person can have great presentation skills and still not be a nice person. My issue with Steve Jobs is that he was not confident presenter, he was arrogant presenter. He surpassed a bit the line between confidence and arrogance to a point where I did not find him authentic. Whatever he was saying during the keynote, I was doubting.

The other thing is how unwilling he was to listen to consumers. It was like only Steve Jobs had a vision, only he knew what people wanted. He was not a guy that was interested in hearing feedback. Not just his employees, also his consumers - you know the people that buy his products and basically make money for him. And this was the reason I was not willing to buy Apple products back then because I knew that the hell would freeze before Steve would decide to meet the needs of people like me - just because he knew the best and did not care to listen a different point of view.

No CEO is a soft person IMO so I agree with you on this as well. It is how you carry on and how authentic you are when you talk to people. It is also obviously subjective. I could find a person authentic, others could find them a liar and vice versa. This is not hard science and cannot be proven.

I agree that Tim Cook's presentation is more robotic than Steve Jobs. That's the fact. I interpreted it differently though. When it comes to being out in the public, in front of consumers (as we have no idea what is going behind close doors) Tim is more humble than Steve. Steve was so good to the point where I was like "What is he trying to conceal here and to make it be super awesome even though it is not" while Tim is not so good so I am like "OK, he is a person, he tries his best but obviously is not the perfect presenter. Can I separate his presentations skills from their products".

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Indeed a person can have great presentation skills and still not be a nice person. My issue with Steve Jobs is that he was not confident presenter, he was arrogant presenter. He surpassed a bit the line between confidence and arrogance to a point where I did not find him authentic. Whatever he was saying during the keynote, I was doubting.

The other thing is how unwilling he was to listen to consumers. It was like only Steve Jobs had a vision, only he knew what people wanted. He was not a guy that was interested in hearing feedback. Not just his employees, also his consumers - you know the people that buy his products and basically make money for him. And this was the reason I was not willing to buy Apple products back then because I knew that the hell would freeze before Steve would decide to meet the needs of people like me - just because he knew the best and did not care to listen a different point of view.

No CEO is a soft person IMO so I agree with you on this as well. It is how you carry on and how authentic you are when you talk to people. It is also obviously subjective. I could find a person authentic, others could find them a liar and vice versa. This is not hard science and cannot be proven.

I agree that Tim Cook's presentation is more robotic than Steve Jobs. That's the fact. I interpreted it differently though. When it comes to being out in the public, in front of consumers (as we have no idea what is going behind close doors) Tim is more humble than Steve. Steve was so good to the point where I was like "What is he trying to conceal here and to make it be super awesome even though it is not" while Tim is not so good so I am like "OK, he is a person, he tries his best but obviously is not the perfect presenter. Can I separate his presentations skills from their products".

Couldn’t agree more with everything you wrote. I also first got into iPhones post-Jobs. I also remember when Apple were censoring 'swear words', and the iPhones were just generally far too 'closed' for my liking. Thankfully, their 'walled garden' approach isn’t much of an annoyance these days ?

Reactions: secretk

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Couldn’t agree more with everything you wrote. I also first got into iPhones post-Jobs. I also remember when Apple were censoring 'swear words', and the iPhones were just generally far too 'closed' for my liking. Thankfully, their 'walled garden' approach isn’t much of an annoyance these days

They censored swear words? Do tell!

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
This presentation signified, again, one of the best way to present a product. Steve Jobs is (was) still a master chef in product announcements. The tone, the cadence, the pace, the tease, the reveal, all are beautiful and timeless. He is in complete control of not only the presentation, but the audience as well. It is in contrast to pretty much everybody else (including Tim Cook and other Apple executives) who are too stiff and obvious that they are reading teleprompters. Craig has the enthusiasm, but he's more like an excited kid, while Jobs is just a master wizard. The rest, including Cook, sorry to say, are lethargic and robotic. Of course, the competitors are even worse.

I wouldn't comment on the products, but I always tip my hat off to Jobs in regards to presentation. Masterfully done.

Tim doesn’t really do much presenting, more of an opening and closing. It’s good that he recognizes that he’s no Steve Jobs when it comes to presentations, so he defers to others on his team to handle them. Phil Schiller always did an incredible job of presenting, and Craig is incredible. John Ternus is also an incredible presenter. Not as thrilled with Kaiann’s presentations but they’ve gotten better.

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
You meet the great man?
Yes back in the day working as a photojournalist we meet a lot of the tech giants of the time, Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Gates, Steve Ballmer, Larry Page, Eric Schmidt, Jeff Bezos...

You could say the that all CEO's are a little arrogant but Jobs he was on a whole different level, when your job is to capture his image you don't want to be undermined and second guessed ending up having your assistant taking the pic's because he didn't believe that i was having full control of my camera because I was a cripple, and he was very vocal about his concerns. So no a great man did not show up on that day.

You can say that all of the big giants are not "soft" but Ballmer was a very funny guy that was a pleasure to work with, and the same with Woz, even though he wasn't a CEO, but none the less a great pleasure to work with.

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
Do learn how to use google. They’ve been doing it since the beginning, and they’re ducking doing it till this day.

They are not really censored, they are just not in the phone dictionary, i have no problem using any "swear" words when Im texting, (not going to show that they work in this forum) but it just takes a little bit for your personal dictionary to learn them,

Reactions: na1577

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
They are not really censored, they are just not in the phone dictionary, i have no problem using any "swear" words when Im texting, (not going to show that they work in this forum) but it just takes a little bit for your personal dictionary to learn them,

It’s still software censorship no matter how you spin it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_by_Apple

https://ncac.org/news/blog/does-apples-strict-app-store-content-policy-limit-freedom-of-expression

https://qz.com/654426/apple-is-expl...tically-censor-the-swear-words-in-your-music/

If I remember correctly it goes all the way back to the first iPhone. However, it’s not a big deal anymore (at least not for me).

Last edited:

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
It’s still software censorship no matter how you spin it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_by_Apple

https://ncac.org/news/blog/does-apples-strict-app-store-content-policy-limit-freedom-of-expression

https://qz.com/654426/apple-is-expl...tically-censor-the-swear-words-in-your-music/

If I remember correctly it goes all the way back to the first iPhone. However, it’s not a big deal anymore (at least not for me).
You’re still showing old articles, words that are considered as swear words are absent from the iPhones dictionary, but it doesn’t really take that long for the dictionary to learn them, if censorship was still in affect these words would not be learned at all and the keyboard would never allow them to be used or learned for that matter,
You can train the keyboard to learn and use these words not just with tap typing but they will also show up when you use the swipe feature, so no iOS is not censoring “swear words” as they did in the past...

I’m not showing them here, but i just swiped thru 12 different words that are “swear words” and iOS had no problem using them and not switching to other words of a non derogatory nature. Just like “thru”, it took a little bit for the keyboard to learn to swipe that word for me...

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Yea I'm sorry but I have to agree, and actually it was part of my reason for leaving Apple back in the late 90's, with Photoshop it always ran the best in Mac's until Photoshop 5 came out, I waisted so much time and lost so much work seeing that stupid pinwheel of death when trying to use Photoshop,
the spinning ball was worse on a PC, i had a HP 3000 something and gave that away in 2002 for free
but i loved and still use photoshop 4 for the ease and results that they never matched again.

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
the spinning ball was worse on a PC, i had a HP 3000 something and gave that away in 2002 for free
but i loved and still use photoshop 4 for the ease and results that they never matched again.
Was, yea...
But from Photoshop 5 on Photoshop ran so much better on Windows computers, by Photoshop 7 Apple finally started to work well with Photoshop again, but by then it was already too late and many graphic designers and photographers had already migrated to the Windows ecosystem, Waiting that long for Apple to finally catch back up was not financially feasible, so Windows because the graphic designer/photographer tool of choice.

I still have a few older Macs that are running old build of Photoshop because back in the day to be a graphic designer Mac was the preferred system/ecosystem of choice,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.