Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
skipsandwichdx said:
Yeah, rendering the extra pixels would drop the frame rate.

If the resolution is the same (e.g. 1024x768), it doesnt matter how big your display is, or which is the native res...

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
can you try playing CS:S?

CS:S is actually alot more graphic intensive on some maps...

can you try out prodigy at the long halls next to CT spawn with all the lighting?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
wako said:
can you try playing CS:S?

CS:S is actually alot more graphic intensive on some maps...

can you try out prodigy at the long halls next to CT spawn with all the lighting?

I think the OP has already cleaned his MB from Win, so he cannot perform those tests for you... ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
eXan said:
I think the OP has already cleaned his MB from Win, so he cannot perform those tests for you... ;)

Sorry, Windows is gone :)

I was having a number of blue screen and general crashes since windows did an auto update on me and screwed up some system files/drivers : so I finished the halflife2 benchmark test and gave up and ditched windows.....

I'm sure someone else will post more results (I hope). I could try it on my imac as that still has windows on a small partition, but that wouldnt be very useful to you.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
QCassidy352 said:
What you're posting isn't helpful either unless you actually say what you mean by "high settings" or "smooth and enjoyable." Those are subjective terms that mean nothing. You want to prove that the GMA950 is decent, run extended benchmarks and get some objective data.

Because all of the OBJECTIVE data I've seen suggests that the GMA950 is utter garbage. For example:
an intel mini against a G4 mini and an intel imac in 3d games
the macbook is outperformed by a G4 powerbook and barely beats a g4 ibook in UT2004
the GMA950 chokes and dies on Doom3 and Quake4

You want people to believe that the GMA950 is decent, post some objective benchmarks (not subjective descriptions) that contradict what I've linked.

(Disclaimer: I have a macbook. I want the GMA950 to be a good chip. Really, I do. I love my macbook and the graphics are the only thing I don't like, so I'd *love* for you to be right. But you're not, from everything I've seen.)
As a casual gamer, so long as it's an incremental improvement over my iBook and its Radeon Mobility 9200 I'd be perfectly happy.

AlexanderOnline

macrumors member
May 25, 2006
Very intresting topic. I have a macbook (1,83 ghz, 80 gb, 1 gb) and installed XP with bootcamp, beveause sometimes i want to play CS: Source with friends. I know that an integrated card is not a gaming card, but i expected far more (also because the macbook has dual core, dual channel and ddr2) then wat i experienced.
Just walking trough de_dust alone, my fps is ~7! That's really horrible, my settings are 800x600 and the other settings low. The strange thing is, is that i can only start CS:S when i set the direct X level to 7.0 . When i do 8.1, or 9.0, the CS:S menu after startup is black and i can't see anything. Even at dx 6.0 it's still 7 fps. I tried with this config: http://www.immolate.nl/index.php?site=files&file=1 although everything looked less nice, my fps is still at ~7 . I've installed the latest graphic drivers, and checked the configuration of it. Dx is also up to date.
Another strange thing, in 3d mark2001se the score is ~6k. I had a pc a few months ago, with an AMD athlon xp 2200+ and a Gf4mx440se, with an score of ~3-4k in 3dmark. And with that card, it played cs:s and hl2 smooth at 800x600 medium.
Mayby it has something to do with T&L, wich the intel integrated hasn't. I googled and found the program " 3D Analyzer" that can emulate T&L, you have to select the .exe, choose the settings and press run. But the problem is, CS:S is started by steam.exe -applaunch 240, and selecting hl2.exe doesn't work beceause you can't start the game by just launching hl2.exe (i don't have hl2 installed, only CS:s, but there is a hl2.exe in the steam folder).
I'm dissapointed abot this very bad performance, i really expected better. Mayby someone knows a solution, or how to emulate t&L (if that is the prob) on cs:s?
(iew, after i read my post i knew why i had such a low mark for my English grammar test at school last week :x )

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Out of interest, why does Counter Strike Source run different to HalfLife 2?
Like i posted I got 25 fps average at High 1024x768 and over 30fps average at Medium 1024x768 on HalfLife 2 on my macbook.

Your experience of CS is totally different to mine of HalfLife 2.

Is it because it's online? Graphically it isnt pushing anything different to HalfLife 2 so there must be an additional thing? The graphics engines are the same so ????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

AlexanderOnline said:
Very intresting topic. I have a macbook (1,83 ghz, 80 gb, 1 gb) and installed XP with bootcamp, beveause sometimes i want to play CS: Source with friends. I know that an integrated card is not a gaming card, but i expected far more (also because the macbook has dual core, dual channel and ddr2) then wat i experienced.
Just walking trough de_dust alone, my fps is ~7! That's really horrible, my settings are 800x600 and the other settings low. The strange thing is, is that i can only start CS:S when i set the direct X level to 7.0 . When i do 8.1, or 9.0, the CS:S menu after startup is black and i can't see anything. Even at dx 6.0 it's still 7 fps. I tried with this config: http://www.immolate.nl/index.php?site=files&file=1 although everything looked less nice, my fps is still at ~7 . I've installed the latest graphic drivers, and checked the configuration of it. Dx is also up to date.
Another strange thing, in 3d mark2001se the score is ~6k. I had a pc a few months ago, with an AMD athlon xp 2200+ and a Gf4mx440se, with an score of ~3-4k in 3dmark. And with that card, it played cs:s and hl2 smooth at 800x600 medium.
Mayby it has something to do with T&L, wich the intel integrated hasn't. I googled and found the program " 3D Analyzer" that can emulate T&L, you have to select the .exe, choose the settings and press run. But the problem is, CS:S is started by steam.exe -applaunch 240, and selecting hl2.exe doesn't work beceause you can't start the game by just launching hl2.exe (i don't have hl2 installed, only CS:s, but there is a hl2.exe in the steam folder).
I'm dissapointed abot this very bad performance, i really expected better. Mayby someone knows a solution, or how to emulate t&L (if that is the prob) on cs:s?
(iew, after i read my post i knew why i had such a low mark for my English grammar test at school last week :x )

AlexanderOnline

macrumors member
May 25, 2006
I don't know exactly why, but on another forum there was someone with a mac mini with around 20fps in hl2 and 7 in cs:s . i just played de_dust alone, but i don't know why it's heavier. In de_dust in that place in the middle (i don't know how to describe it, it has a round roof and there are 4 ways to it) there i have 15-20 fps, but on all other places 7-9 fps.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
While obviously nowhere near the top graphics cards, it is interesting to see that the 950 is not as bad as many feared in real world applications.

AlexanderOnline

macrumors member
May 25, 2006
Today i spend a few hours googling and trying to get normal fps in CS:S, but no result. I tried everything in the config file, but it didn't boost the fps. If i play with 1280x800 low or 640x40 low, it doesn't matter at all, the fps is still ~7 fps! Really horrible.
I spend a lot of time with the tool 3D Analyzer wich kan emulate T&L and tune other settings. I tried different versions, i tried an older version (wich is often used in the hl2 tweaking guides) on hl2.exe, and i tried both older and new versions on a .bat file (that starts CS:S with hl2.exe -applaunch 240 -game ... etc), but with these options the game won't start (and hl2.exe crashes). I have really no idea anymore what to do. In the video stress test (before i played a game, that's strange enough depending), my results are a lot better.
I hope someone know a solution.... :confused: :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
AlexanderOnline said:
Today i spend a few hours googling and trying to get normal fps in CS:S, but no result. I tried everything in the config file, but it didn't boost the fps. If i play with 1280x800 low or 640x40 low, it doesn't matter at all, the fps is still ~7 fps! Really horrible.
I spend a lot of time with the tool 3D Analyzer wich kan emulate T&L and tune other settings. I tried different versions, i tried an older version (wich is often used in the hl2 tweaking guides) on hl2.exe, and i tried both older and new versions on a .bat file (that starts CS:S with hl2.exe -applaunch 240 -game ... etc), but with these options the game won't start (and hl2.exe crashes). I have really no idea anymore what to do. In the video stress test (before i played a game, that's strange enough depending), my results are a lot better.
I hope someone know a solution.... :confused: :(

The fact that resolution and graphics options didnt make a difference means there must be another reason for this discrepancy... interesting but annoying and confusng??

AlexanderOnline

macrumors member
May 25, 2006
Mayby it's just a cpu speed limitation. It seems to be that the card doesn't have T&L hardware support, and also no vertex support (most games uses both), so the cpu has to do all that work. Mayby that explains why the fps speed doesn't change at different resolutions.
I hoped that the 3D analyzer tool would helped but its a pitty that i can't get it worked on CS:S (while it seems to work on HL2 on the internet i see, but i don't have enough space on the bootcamp partition to test hl2)

macmadandproud

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Well, a litle off topic though it may be, I just wanted to pass along two games that I play on my macbook (2 gigs RAM) that run PERFECTLY-- Rise of Nations and Warcraft III.

I am really excited about Warcraft III. I never got a chance to play it when it was new (actually, my mac at the time couldn't handle it) and now it runs like a dream at native 1280x800... Just wanted to pass that along.

Jay

wyrmintheapple

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
Southampton, UK
QCassidy352 said:
What you're posting isn't helpful either unless you actually say what you mean by "high settings" or "smooth and enjoyable." Those are subjective terms that mean nothing. You want to prove that the GMA950 is decent, run extended benchmarks and get some objective data.

Because all of the OBJECTIVE data I've seen suggests that the GMA950 is utter garbage. For example:
an intel mini against a G4 mini and an intel imac in 3d games
the macbook is outperformed by a G4 powerbook and barely beats a g4 ibook in UT2004
the GMA950 chokes and dies on Doom3 and Quake4

You want people to believe that the GMA950 is decent, post some objective benchmarks (not subjective descriptions) that contradict what I've linked.

(Disclaimer: I have a macbook. I want the GMA950 to be a good chip. Really, I do. I love my macbook and the graphics are the only thing I don't like, so I'd *love* for you to be right. But you're not, from everything I've seen.)

I posted a video of my MacBook running UT2k4, WoW etc in Mac OS X, plus some rosetta stuff, and a coupl of BootCamp items (Need for speed... etc).

You lot are so busy making up new FUD threads that ones with anything meaningful get lost.

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
wyrmintheapple said:
I posted a video of my MacBook running UT2k4, WoW etc in Mac OS X, plus some rosetta stuff, and a coupl of BootCamp items (Need for speed... etc).

You lot are so busy making up new FUD threads that ones with anything meaningful get lost.
Where is video ? :)

AlexanderOnline

macrumors member
May 25, 2006
Okay, this is really funny. yesterday i went to a friend with my MacBook, to play a few games together. He was playing CS:S with his brother, so i joined the game. They were playing fy_pool... and i played at 1280x800 low. I expected again 7 fps, but in that map i played with 40-100 fps! We played other maps online, fy_simpsons, fy_iceworld etc, and also high fps! But we tried de_dust, and again 7 fps. Mayby it has something to do with that de_dust is a complexer map? HDR effects are off, but i know that they " remaked" de_dust for CS:S. Strange but fun for me :D
I also played C&C Generals on Windows, i could play it well at 1024x786 low (i think 800x600 high should run well too).

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
I'm a PC user eargerly waiting to switch over to my first mac.....macbooks sound sooooooo good even tho no dedicated graphics....my PC runs at like a frame every other second :eek:

*pity me* lol :D

Schrodinger

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2005
MacRumorUser said:
Also installled and run without any problems (with settings on high - again to clafify the anal retentive in the audience, these were its own suggested settings when first run), 'THE MOVIES' but I cant post framerates for that either as i dont know how for a start.

MRU, I'm trying to decide between a mac book and a iMac. Right now, the main sticking point is whether or not I would be able to run "The Movies" well for the Machinema features.

I guess you've since erased windows from your machine, but can you recall any details on what settings you were able to run it at, and how smooth the footage looked? I don't need the exact FPS, I just need to know if I can do things like day/night lighting effects and handle the animations smoothly.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
MacRumorUser said:
Contary to the miss spread belief going on in the forums.

The macbook (got mine yesterday) plays games well. and most of the time very well.

Running in bootcamp,

Sims 2 + couple of expansions. Also run with HIGH settings at 1024x768 with NO PROBLEMS or STUTTER ....

Sorry to chime in so late here, but I have the Mac version of Sims 2 plus both EP's do you think they will run well on a 1.83 MacBook with 2gig of ram or would I be better off with the PC versions?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bern said:
Sorry to chime in so late here, but I have the Mac version of Sims 2 plus both EP's do you think they will run well on a 1.83 MacBook with 2gig of ram or would I be better off with the PC versions?

couldnt say simply because I dont have the mac versions.

I know they are universal now, but open gl and drivers are more robust with the GMA950 in windows than on Mac OSX so ????

All you can do is try. If you have the mac versions use them, you don't want to have to go out and buy the pc versions if the mac runs ok.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
how does it work with nevewinter nights and warcraft III?

i'm tired of playing neverwinter nights with all options off and lowest settings for everything to play smoothly on my ibook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.