Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diplomat90210

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2006
Eh this is kinda an old thread, but I need help. Thanks by the way for all the info you guys posted, this thread is awsome.

I'll be getting my MacBook (1.83ghz. 1GB ram, 60GB hard drive) soon, and Im wondering how it will run older games with the above settings. Games I will most likely be running are:
Call of Duty 1
Star Wars Republic Commando
Star Wars KOTOR 1(Maybe KOTOR 2?)
Warcraft III
LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth 1

I dont expect to use very high settings for most of these games (BFME, Star Wars RC, KOTOR), but should I be ok with most of these games?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Diplomat90210 said:
Eh this is kinda an old thread, but I need help. Thanks by the way for all the info you guys posted, this thread is awsome.

I'll be getting my MacBook (1.83ghz. 1GB ram, 60GB hard drive) soon, and Im wondering how it will run older games with the above settings. Games I will most likely be running are:
Call of Duty 1
Warcraft III

I dont expect to use very high settings for most of these games (BFME, Star Wars RC, KOTOR), but should I be ok with most of these games?

Not 100% sure, all i can say is check the minimum requirements and if you meet them you will be grand.

With the GMA950 chipset, try to run memory in dual configuration for a boost in peformance of a few frames (coluld mean the difference between smooth and choppy frame-rate) and try to get as much as you can. Preferably 2gb, but 1gb as (2x 512mb) should be ok too.

512mb of ram is poo these days.

Diplomat90210

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2006
Thanks, for the time being though I will only have 1gb of RAM, and I will for quite some time. Thanks for the info.

freelancer874

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
Thank you!!

Macbug---
It worked! Thank you thank you thank you. You have just made my life a better place. Words cannot express my gratitude - many thanks! :D

dilemmaguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2007
Hey MacRumorUser, I was wondering how much mb of shared video memory U used 2 played all those games so smoothly.
Cause im going into college,n i might goin 2 buy a macbook black next month.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/cool.gif
:cool:
After reading yor comment on those games i was bit relief tat macbook still can handle some games.And if i later try max out d video memory till 224mb,do u think my gaming experience will be much better?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif
:confused:
And is my 1st time buying a MAC...coz im lovin it after doing some research n comparing.
http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/blackapple.gif
:apple:

urista

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
hello. from reading the posts before i understand that sims 2 ran better than halflife 2? is this correct? or did they run about the same on their best performance settings. thank you.

and for people wondering about sims 2 mac version (played on a macbook). it is playable but barely and it gets frustrating after a while because of the laggyness so i wouldn't recommend it. i have a blackbook with 2gb of memory.

mistyz23

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2007
Wow! Awesome thank you for starting this thread! Anyone else can confirm that WoW (world of warcraft) runs well?

WoW runs as smooth as butter on my MBP. My husband is insanely jealous. I even increased all of the settings to max and it doesn't hesitate. Very very pleasantly surprised. :D

EDIT: Dang. I really should have read the date and realized this was a thread dredged up from the past. Sorry guys!

stujohnson

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2006
HL2 doesn't run worth a crap

Too many people say that HL2 will run ok on a macbook.

It doesn't

The demo ran fine, (plus 25fps) in almost all areas (except for when there's the gas fire), but the rest of the game generally runs poorly...very poorly. I own it and I've played through most of the game on my macbook. It commonly drops to extremely low fps, like under 5fps. There are many many areas where the game runs just fine, and just as many areas where it is completely unplayable.
I've tweaked the crap out of it too...no better

macbook, core 2 duo 2.0ghz, 1gb ram

lee3033

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2007
macbook (not pro) 2.0 c2d gaming black screen issues

ive got a 2.0 c2d macbook (not pro) and having problems with 'black screen' or 'blank screen' issues with games!

reading messages in here im convinced it must be a problem with direct x 9 compatablity with the intel gma950 graphics in the macbook, and people have had similar 'black screen' issues with cs:s, and have been advised to use direct x 7, im just wondering how i can now run games using direct x 7 (or maybe 8, i just want to try different versions to the 1 i am currently running 9.0C) ,also does direct x 7 work in xp? - ive read that its for 98/ME users :confused:

by the way i have also seen other problems aswell as black screen issues - line strafe from objects in games - e.g. in the game i have been experiencing both thses problems (panzer elite dunes of war) when the screen goes blank i can click around and get the game to load - which runs - except some menu items missing - such as tank health monitor + gun crosshairs, but also when looking at trees lines of graphics shoot out from them :rolleyes: kinda hard to explain, but im sure its a driver issues - i have seen this before on other pc's and a updated graphics driver has sorted this

anyway, kind-of confusing, long post but help plz! any questions?

-macbook 2.0Ghz core 2 duo
-game: panzer elite dunes of war
-directx: 9.0C

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
Hello everyone

Confimed, Age of the Empires 3 runs like hell on this thing - on the highest setting its excellent!:p (Running in XP)
I know this is somewhat old, but, am I going crazy? how can you run this on the macbook? the requirements specifically state it requires hardware T&L. if I am not mistaken, it is the ONE nessicary thing the GM950 is missing. any help? I love age of empires, I just do not think it is gonna work
Andreas

fireball jones

macrumors member
May 31, 2006
I know this is somewhat old, but, am I going crazy? how can you run this on the macbook? the requirements specifically state it requires hardware T&L. if I am not mistaken, it is the ONE nessicary thing the GM950 is missing. any help? I love age of empires, I just do not think it is gonna work
Andreas

I ran the demo fine in OSX, I suspect, like many games, i does not require T&L so much as use it for certain graphical features that we just don't get.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

Call of Duty 1
Warcraft III

Not sure about the rest of the games, but I tryed KOTOR2 on my MacBook via CrossOver and via Bootcamp and it has issues. Well, in CrossOver it launches and works, but you cant move the mouse. I mean you can still click with it, you can rotate the camera around you when holding the rightmouse button, you just cant move the cursor, which makes the game unplayable (cant move mouse even to load a game - just to start a new one ;))

While in Bootcamp with WinXP the games doesnt work. The menu launches, you can even change setting, create a new character etc, but when you load a level, the game crashes. I've read that it is because GMA950 doesnt have hardware T&L that the game requires to run, but WHY DOES IT RUN IN CROSSOVER??!?!?!?!? :mad:

As for Kotor1, its not universal, so it would run like crap, if run at all (see K2). Dont have the windows version to test it in Win.

Does anybody know how to make KOTOR2 run in Windows? :eek:

wyrmintheapple

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
Southampton, UK
I posted a vid of games on a macbook ages ago, I'll try to put it on youtube or something. It does play some games pretty good.

I would however regard the OP's post with some trepidation as BF2 does not seem to start on a GMA950, on a Macbook or similar PC..... In fact, It is widely known not to run on ANY GMA950, Windoze laptops have the same issue. Since he is playing a game on his Macbook that can't possibly run on a Macbook, I'd rate this as a bag o' crap till we see a video or somethin.

fireball jones

macrumors member
May 31, 2006
Tried out WoW BC today (10 free trial), plays about the same as my G4 mini, but I can turn up the terrain distance a few notches. Granted, my mini has the 1.2 ghz processor. They both have 1 GB of RAM.

Not really worth playing on it, but then again, after 20 minutes of it, I remembered why I quit in the first place :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.