Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
Hi everyone,

Did anyone notice that Apple created a lot of hype with the end of the Notification Center in iOS 11 - with a complete overhaul of how we should think of the Lock Screen and Notification Center unified in the new "Cover Sheet” only to, now, backtrack and pretend that never happened?

Now the Notification Center is what it is... The Notification Center.

Also, there was part of the philosophy of the OS that changed: they promoted the iPhone X with dual wallpapers (one for the lock screen and another for the background), basically because it doesn't make sense that the cover sheet would magically make your screen transparent (because it is an extra layer, on top of the current background, in case you're in the Springboard)...

Maybe I'm just too picky, but I do find it interesting that they completely backtracked on that... And now things are as inconsistent as ever lol.

What do you think?

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Hi everyone,

Did anyone notice that Apple created a lot of hype with the end of the Notification Center in iOS 11 - with a complete overhaul of how we should think of the Lock Screen and Notification Center unified in the new "Cover Sheet” only to, now, backtrack and pretend that never happened?

Now the Notification Center is what it is... The Notification Center.

Also, there was part of the philosophy of the OS that changed: they promoted the iPhone X with dual wallpapers (one for the lock screen and another for the background), basically because it doesn't make sense that the cover sheet would magically make your screen transparent (because it is an extra layer, on top of the current background, in case you're in the Springboard)...

Maybe I'm just too picky, but I do find it interesting that they completely backtracked on that... And now things are as inconsistent as ever lol.

What do you think?

i'm sorry, what?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I think OP may be noting some reverted terminology but I’m not sure this amounts to pretending the big change in iOS 11 never happened given it still works the same on a practical level? Going by what others here are saying, that is, as I’ve not used it myself.

Edit- looking into it, it has reverted quite a bit. Yes OP I do find this interesting.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
I think OP may be noting some reverted terminology but I’m not sure this amounts to pretending the big change in iOS 11 never happened given it still works the same on a practical level? Going by what others here are saying, that is, as I’ve not used it myself.

Edit- looking into it, it has reverted quite a bit. Yes OP I do find this interesting.
What did you notice that they have reverted? Just curious, as I have a list of my own.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
What did you notice that they have reverted? Just curious, as I have a list of my own.
Hmm, I’m going back and forth on this. It’s quite hard to find a good summary or video of the changes. I’ve just watched another where a pull down from top looked just like the lock screen, so that’s the same. On some other videos I’ve noticed it says “Notification Centre” under clock now. Like I say it’s hard to get a feel for it from here, so I’d like to hear what you think. Expand on your first post :)

Reactions: strategicthinke

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

it would be really helpful if you provided more context with details and examples if you're looking to have a meaningful discussion

it's very hard to understand what your first post in this thread is saying, and even more cryptic when you say that you have a list of changes that you are not willing to share

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
It’s very similar still. Grouped notifications and being able to better manage notifications are significant changes, but the overall experience is pretty much the same.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
Hey, sorry for the late response. I believe that Apple went in a way of saying that the concept of having a separate Notification Center was outdated. For instance, whereas before you could pull notifications as an extra layer from the Lock Screen, in iOS 11 the notifications -were- part of the lock screen. Also, Notification Center was a transparent layer on top of any screen, it could be either the lock screen, an app or the springboard with all the apps. In iOS 11, instead of a layer, when you pull down from the top of the screen you’re dealt with... the Lock Screen. Of course it didn’t appear intuitive, so they renamed both the previous Notification Center and the Lock Screen to the cryptic “Cover Sheet” (an expression that was never widely adopted by users or the press). Also? There was an inconsistency in the behaviour of the “physics” of the OS, so to say: whereas a translucent layer was brought in previous post iOS 7 interactions, the same background image from the lock screen was brought down with the Cover Sheet... Which doesn’t make much sense, especially when you’re in the Springboard with the apps and the typical background image... Only to pull the Cover Sheet and bring yet again the same image (used as a background) on top of the current screen... To solve that they created two half-baked solutions: first, they promoted the iPhone X and iPhone 8 with different images on the lock screen and springboard, this way they avoid the bizarre “pulling down the same image on top of the very same background”. Also, they came up with a non-sensical transparency-and-at-the-same-time-fade-in effect when you pull down the Cover Sheet.
All in all, while everyone expected Apple to enhance the Notification Center in iOS 11, they instead proposed that “people didn’t need a typical Notification Center at all”, with this unification of a Cover Sheet (being both lock screen and Notification Center). Some may even say that this a result of Face ID, since your phone would be instantly unlocked and, hence, a Lock Screen didn’t make much sense any longer...
So... now onto iOS 12:
Apple seems to admit that the idea of the Cover Sheet didn’t get much traction. They now at least call the Notification Center as... Notification Center. I see many of the inconsistencies there still (such as the stupid transparency and fade into still image effect when you pull down the Notification Center, and the double overlay of the same wallpaper twice...) but at least it gives me hope that they will pull it out and offer something refined for iOS 13. Also, by not “giving up” on a properly named Notification Center, they give us hope of further enhancements in the way we deal with typical notifications - maybe iOS 13 will be on par with Android in that regards...
So, the Cover Sheet was a flop. I am loving iOS 12 so far. Looking forward to what the future will bring.
[doublepost=1528818473][/doublepost]
it would be really helpful if you provided more context with details and examples if you're looking to have a meaningful discussion

it's very hard to understand what your first post in this thread is saying, and even more cryptic when you say that you have a list of changes that you are not willing to share

I’m sorry I seemed cryptic, I am just incredibly short on time to properly develop a long list of things. I’ve sent most of my observations up above. Hope it is clearer now.
[doublepost=1528818713][/doublepost]

I’m sorry I seemed cryptic, I am just incredibly short on time to properly develop a long list of things. I’ve sent most of my observations up above. Hope it is clearer now.

Last edited:

strategicthinke

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
Oh, I remembered another reason for Apple to get rid of he Notification Center name: you can do more on the Cover Sheet than just reply to notifications, indeed, from iOS 11 onwards you can play music, stop music and configure airplay for media from that Cover Sheet.
Having said that, I do realise that on iOS 12 the Cover Sheet still exists, however Notification Center is now a key element within it... I guess it makes more sense now?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I simply think (and thought last year when iOS 11 came out) that... the Cover Sheet is the stupidest idea that anyone has come up with for a UI/UX design.

For instance: on iOS 11, you can access the camera by pulling down from your notification center and swiping from the right. That's excessive because you can already launch the camera app via the control center. Swiping right might work well on the lock screen but for a screen that you may access while you are inside another app, it's redundant and extremely stupid.

Notifications have regressed ever since iOS 10 but iOS 11 just took it to a whole new level of unusable. And iOS 12 is still not fixing this. I'm not even going to compare iOS to competitors, but just to say... the competitors have it right: they didn't move beyond a system similar to what was in iOS 9, because it worked well! Everything Apple has been doing since iOS 10 have been regressions, and even now, iOS 12 is not even close to what was in iOS 10.

Reactions: Feyl

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
For instance: on iOS 11, you can access the camera by pulling down from your notification center and swiping from the right. That's excessive because you can already launch the camera app via the control center. Swiping right might work well on the lock screen but for a screen that you may access while you are inside another app, it's redundant and extremely stupid.
The one that annoys me most is double clicking the home button activates Apple Pay on the cover sheet - I’d rather it entered multitasking in this scenario.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Hey, sorry for the late response. I believe that Apple went in a way of saying that the concept of having a separate Notification Center was outdated. For instance, whereas before you could pull notifications as an extra layer from the Lock Screen, in iOS 11 the notifications -were- part of the lock screen. Also, Notification Center was a transparent layer on top of any screen, it could be either the lock screen, an app or the springboard with all the apps. In iOS 11, instead of a layer, when you pull down from the top of the screen you’re dealt with... the Lock Screen. Of course it didn’t appear intuitive, so they renamed both the previous Notification Center and the Lock Screen to the cryptic “Cover Sheet” (an expression that was never widely adopted by users or the press). Also? There was an inconsistency in the behaviour of the “physics” of the OS, so to say: whereas a translucent layer was brought in previous post iOS 7 interactions, the same background image from the lock screen was brought down with the Cover Sheet... Which doesn’t make much sense, especially when you’re in the Springboard with the apps and the typical background image... Only to pull the Cover Sheet and bring yet again the same image (used as a background) on top of the current screen... To solve that they created two half-baked solutions: first, they promoted the iPhone X and iPhone 8 with different images on the lock screen and springboard, this way they avoid the bizarre “pulling down the same image on top of the very same background”. Also, they came up with a non-sensical transparency-and-at-the-same-time-fade-in effect when you pull down the Cover Sheet.
All in all, while everyone expected Apple to enhance the Notification Center in iOS 11, they instead proposed that “people didn’t need a typical Notification Center at all”, with this unification of a Cover Sheet (being both lock screen and Notification Center). Some may even say that this a result of Face ID, since your phone would be instantly unlocked and, hence, a Lock Screen didn’t make much sense any longer...
So... now onto iOS 12:
Apple seems to admit that the idea of the Cover Sheet didn’t get much traction. They now at least call the Notification Center as... Notification Center. I see many of the inconsistencies there still (such as the stupid transparency and fade into still image effect when you pull down the Notification Center, and the double overlay of the same wallpaper twice...) but at least it gives me hope that they will pull it out and offer something refined for iOS 13. Also, by not “giving up” on a properly named Notification Center, they give us hope of further enhancements in the way we deal with typical notifications - maybe iOS 13 will be on par with Android in that regards...
So, the Cover Sheet was a flop. I am loving iOS 12 so far. Looking forward to what the future will bring.

Interesting. I always felt it was intuitive that you could pull cover sheet back down because of the way that it animates up above the phone when you unlock to go to your homescreen.

It made sense to me that at any given time I could pull down from the top to access the same screen that went up, and I liked the consistency between how the screen functions when first looking at my phone to any time I needed to pull down and access that same screen.

I don't quite recall the way it functioned before iOS11 in detail, but do recall finding this new setup easier and faster for use.

I guess it might be aided by the fact that I use separate images for lock screen and home screen. Personally, I think different backgrounds are suited for full screens (lock screen) and screen with a lot of icons on them (home screen). Personal design choice. I can see how it'd feel strange with the same image on both.

I simply think (and thought last year when iOS 11 came out) that... the Cover Sheet is the stupidest idea that anyone has come up with for a UI/UX design.

Notifications have regressed ever since iOS 10 but iOS 11 just took it to a whole new level of unusable. And iOS 12 is still not fixing this. I'm not even going to compare iOS to competitors, but just to say... the competitors have it right: they didn't move beyond a system similar to what was in iOS 9, because it worked well! Everything Apple has been doing since iOS 10 have been regressions, and even now, iOS 12 is not even close to what was in iOS 10.

Well, most people I know, in particular people who aren't pro users, like to access camera from the lock screen, particularly those with an iPhone X that have that handy camera button clearly visible and accessible from that screen. No swiping necessary. I don't remember the last time I accessed the camera from control center, as I generally find it takes more time to find the icon, the icons all look really similar in control center due to the lack of color used as identifiers.

Do you really feel that every single feature Apple has implemented since iOS10 has been regressive?

strategicthinke

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
Interesting. I always felt it was intuitive that you could pull cover sheet back down because of the way that it animates up above the phone when you unlock to go to your homescreen.

It made sense to me that at any given time I could pull down from the top to access the same screen that went up, and I liked the consistency between how the screen functions when first looking at my phone to any time I needed to pull down and access that same screen.

I don't quite recall the way it functioned before iOS11 in detail, but do recall finding this new setup easier and faster for use.

I guess it might be aided by the fact that I use separate images for lock screen and home screen. Personally, I think different backgrounds are suited for full screens (lock screen) and screen with a lot of icons on them (home screen). Personal design choice. I can see how it'd feel strange with the same image on both.

Well, most people I know, in particular people who aren't pro users, like to access camera from the lock screen, particularly those with an iPhone X that have that handy camera button clearly visible and accessible from that screen. No swiping necessary. I don't remember the last time I accessed the camera from control center, as I generally find it takes more time to find the icon, the icons all look really similar in control center due to the lack of color used as identifiers.

Do you really feel that every single feature Apple has implemented since iOS10 has been regressive?
I do NOT feel that everything since iOS 10 was regressive (I realise the question was not directed at me, but here is my two cents), but I do realise that the Cover Sheet makes much more sense on an iPhone X given that you swipe up with the bottom bar. On the other hand, for iPhone 8 or previous edition users it is not coherent enough. So, maybe that's the case, it was thought with the iPhone X logic in mind!
[doublepost=1528979918][/doublepost]
Erm, I don't see what you mean?...
I don't mean to be pushy, but I sent another thread above with a proper explanation... In case you're interested...

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I do NOT feel that everything since iOS 10 was regressive (I realise the question was not directed at me, but here is my two cents), but I do realise that the Cover Sheet makes much more sense on an iPhone X given that you swipe up with the bottom bar. On the other hand, for iPhone 8 or previous edition users it is not coherent enough. So, maybe that's the case, it was thought with the iPhone X logic in mind!

Yeah, it feels super intuitive on the iPhone X, I can see how it feels less so on other devices.

Reactions: strategicthinke

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I came in expecting to read about how iOS got rid of the first page sent via fax, which went downhill quite rapidly after email and cellular phones went widespread.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What I'm not a fan of, at least in iOS 11 (can't quite recall what it was like in iOS 10 or earlier, and not quite sure what it's like in iOS 12) is that you can't seem to bring down Notification Center while you are on the call screen, you basically have to leave the call screen (and have the call in the background basically) and then bring down Notification Center.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
What I'm not a fan of, at least in iOS 11 (can't quite recall what it was like in iOS 10 or earlier, and not quite sure what it's like in iOS 12) is that you can't seem to bring down Notification Center while you are on the call screen, you basically have to leave the call screen (and have the call in the background basically) and then bring down Notification Center.

Unfortunately, it's like this (so far, fingers crossed that it changes) in iOS 12.

Have you considered filing a bug report for the topic and seeing where that gets you?

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I was hoping they’d unwind this somewhat in iOS 12. I still don’t get the concept of the lockscreen looking identical to the NC. Sometimes I pull down the NC while multitasking and lose track of whether it’s lockstreen or NC — I try the home button to “unlock,” but it activates Siri — etc.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I was hoping they’d unwind this somewhat in iOS 12. I still don’t get the concept of the lockscreen looking identical to the NC. Sometimes I pull down the NC while multitasking and lose track of whether it’s lockstreen or NC — I try the home button to “unlock,” but it activates Siri — etc.

Have you considered submitting a feature request in feedback assistant?

Reactions: fullauto

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014

Why would it activate Siri? Pressing the home button when locked or nc has the same behavior. The window goes up. Don’t hold the home button.

Reactions: hojx and joejoejoe

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Apple reverted the terminology of ‘All Photos’ to ‘Camera Roll’ when people made a big fuss about it (they publicly announced this change-back on a keynote).

Honestly, who cares? It’s still the same thing in iOS 12 and 11. They just kept the name because it confused a lot of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.