Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Apple reverted the terminology of ‘All Photos’ to ‘Camera Roll’ when people made a big fuss about it (they publicly announced this change-back on a keynote).

Honestly, who cares? It’s still the same thing in iOS 12 and 11. They just kept the name because it confused a lot of people.
For me, on iOS 12, it says All Photos.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I think, just think, he mentioned iOS 8 transition to iOS 8.1.
I could be wrong but I believe there is/was a difference depending on whether you have iCloud Photo Library enabled or not ie it’s Camera Roll if not enabled.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
I could be wrong but I believe there is/was a difference depending on whether you have iCloud Photo Library enabled or not ie it’s Camera Roll if not enabled.
Yes, indeed, and that is the reason I am a bit confused with that person’s remark. Bringing back camera roll less about the name than about functionality. (Although one may argue my post is the same.)

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Yes, indeed, and that is the reason I am a bit confused with that person’s remark. Bringing back camera roll less about the name than about functionality. (Although one may argue my post is the same.)
I’m pleasantly surprised no one has really jumped down your throat for discussing subtle differences you’ve brought up here. FWIW I find this kind of thing quite interesting and you can bet Apple invest a lot into UX and user psychology as they navigate these features.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Why would it activate Siri? Pressing the home button when locked or nc has the same behavior. The window goes up. Don’t hold the home button.

That’s a good point. I’m not sure, but somehow I get a fair number of false Siri launches, especially while driving.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
The lock screen idea, or ‘Cover Sheet’, makes the most sense in the context of iPhone X. You open the device by swiping away the lock screen, so it makes sense that you should be able to pull it back down. The lock screen behaves like an extra layer on top of the system UI.

This design feels a bit odd on other iPhones, especially considering how quickly the lock screen flies away when you unlock with Touch ID. You can barely see it as it rockets off to the top!

I think the idea of replacing Notication Centre with the lock screen is cool (especially with the gesture interface), but they made it too simplistic in iOS 11. I’m happy to see that it’s evolving nicely in iOS 12. Apple does listen to feedback, it’s just a bit frustrating how it often takes a year for them to make real improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.