Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Supported Hardware
  • iMac (Mid 2007 to Late 2015)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 to Late 2014)
  • Mac Pro - including Server configurations (Early 2008 to Late 2013)
  • Xserve (2009)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2007 to Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Mid 2012 to Mid 2015)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 to Early 2015)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum Unibody; Early 2009 to Mid 2010 Polycarbonate)
  • MacBook with Retina Display (Early 2015; Early 2016)
Compatible Hardware Not Officially Supported
  • iMac (Late 2006; no graphics acceleration)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2007; no graphics acceleration)
  • Mac Pro (2006 and 2007; with supported GPU)
  • MacBook Pro (Late 2006; no graphics acceleration)
  • MacBook Air (Early 2008; no graphics acceleration)
  • MacBook (Late 2006 to Early 2008 Polycarbonate; no graphics acceleration)
Note: El Capitan will run terribly without graphics acceleration. Having a supported (e)GPU is highly advisable.

Minimum RAM
  • 2 GB (4 GB or more is highly recommended)

Minimum Hard Drive Space / Partition Size
  • 20 GB

Release Date
  • September 30th, 2015

Getting El Capitan: This is a v10.11.6 installer DMG (so no need for the combo update) straight from Apple's servers. Open it and install the package contained within, which will put the Install OS X El Capitan.app bundle into the Applications folder. You can then run it to upgrade an older version of OS X in-place or use the createinstallmedia command to create a bootable installation medium.

Apple Software Updates

Web Browsers
Issue this command. You may need to adjust the path as 98.0.4758.102 will likely change:
Code:
sudo rsync -av "/Volumes/Google Chrome/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Frameworks/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Versions/98.0.4758.102/Libraries/WidevineCdm" "/Applications/Chromium.app/Contents/Frameworks/Chromium Framework.framework"
Password:
building file list ... done
WidevineCdm/
WidevineCdm/LICENSE
WidevineCdm/manifest.json
WidevineCdm/_platform_specific/
WidevineCdm/_platform_specific/mac_x64/
WidevineCdm/_platform_specific/mac_x64/libwidevinecdm.dylib
WidevineCdm/_platform_specific/mac_x64/libwidevinecdm.dylib.sig

sent 11011685 bytes  received 126 bytes  4404724.40 bytes/sec
total size is 11009897  speedup is 1.00
FTP & Networking
  • [...]

Dashboard Widgets
  • [...]

Web Design & Development
  • [...]

Audio & Video
  • [...]

Games
  • [...]

Graphics & Design
  1. Affinity Suite (latest versions!)

Writing & Note Taking
  • [...]

Office & Productivity
  • iWork '09 9.3 (link is to software update; try eBay for retail discs.)

Tools & Utilities
  • [...]

Tips
Code:
curl --etag-compare etag.txt --etag-save etag.txt --remote-name https://curl.se/ca/cacert.pem
  • Save this script as trustroot.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
DIR=${TMPDIR}/trustroot.$$
mkdir -p ${DIR}
trap "rm -rf ${DIR}" EXIT
cat "$1" | (cd $DIR && /usr/bin/split -p '-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----' - cert- )
for c in ${DIR}/cert-* ; do
   security -v add-trusted-cert -d -r trustRoot -k "/Library/Keychains/System.keychain" "$c"
done
rm -rf ${DIR}
  • Issue this command:
Code:
chmod 755 trustroot.sh
sudo ./trustroot.sh /path/to/cacert.pem
Where the /path/to/ should be replaced by your actual path. The certificates will then operate as trusted roots in addition to the certificates in the original System Roots keychain. This will eliminate the certificate expired error issue in Safari.

Note: This is a WikiPost. Feel free to add any softwares or additional OS info that you find. Add new categories if you feel your software does not fit under any current category. Some of these lists may not be populated currently, so please add a bullet list (Unordered List.) Unbold the links if they are bolded.[/icode]

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Web Browsers

Thanks for creating this thread. :)

Are there any alternative browsers that people would recommend as replacements for FF 78 ESR because it's reportedly going to reach end-of-life status in October? If this is not correct then by all means, please clarify the situation! :D

Last edited:
Hi @Amethyst1, could you upgrade your post to a WikiPost? Thanks!

EDIT: To clarify, you need to look for the WikiTools section just above the text window and activate WikiPost there:

1618094941971.png

Currently:

1618094844597.png

Contrast this to The Mavericks Thread, which is a WikiPost:

1618094889012.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

davigarma

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2021
Web Browsers

• Google Chrome 89 of March 21, is the last released for all computers and systems. This means that you will be able to browse for a few years when the support ends and Firefox will no longer work soon. Firefox's extended support is ending soon, and safari 11 hasn't received anything for a long time. The policy of the three brands of navigators in El Capitan is curious, Google has bet and put the best and will be the winner

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2021-04-11 a las 0.04.22.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2021-04-11 a las 0.04.22.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 171

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
This tip to change the date to 062112422016 in Terminal within the El Capitan installer and then restart the computer and re-attempt the installation, really should be added because otherwise you're liable to encounter (as I did recently) the following error message whilst trying to install the OS:

ABpy3.jpg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I seem to often have the opportunity to install El Capitan on a variety of Macs. I have not needed to use the system date change since the appearance of the latest installer from Apple. Not sure what changed, but, just reporting that I have not needed the system date change, and El Capitan simply installed without that challenge.
I don't know if that applies to all possible installs.

The download listed in the first post for the El Capitan installer appears to be the current download.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Of course, just did it. Must have forgotten when creating the thread. Sorry!

@TheShortTimer - you can now add the reset date tip for older installers :)

Done and thanks! :)

I seem to often have the opportunity to install El Capitan on a variety of Macs. I have not needed to use the system date change since the appearance of the latest installer from Apple. Not sure what changed, but, just reporting that I have not needed the system date change, and El Capitan simply installed without that challenge.
I don't know if that applies to all possible installs.

The download listed in the first post for the El Capitan installer appears to be the current download.

After seeing your reply, I realised what had been the source of my difficulties. I'd used an El Capitan installer which Snow Leopard had downloaded and placed into its Applications folder years ago as an upgrade option. Obviously it's an older version than the one that's now made available by Apple to download.

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
In the PPC forum we have threads with information on optimising and tweaking Leopard and Tiger to improve their performance - which is particularly beneficial where lower specced machines are involved. Are there any equivalent tweaks or optimisations for El Capitan in this regard?

As we're all aware, El Capitan will run with a minimum of 2GB RAM but on Macs like the 2GB MBAs where the memory is non-upgradeable, I think it would be really helpful to know what could and should be switched off in order to enjoy the best results possible and of course the information could then be added to the Wiki.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
In the PPC forum we have threads with information on optimising and tweaking Leopard and Tiger to improve their performance - which is particularly beneficial where lower specced machines are involved. Are there any equivalent tweaks or optimisations for El Capitan in this regard?

As we're all aware, El Capitan will run with a minimum of 2GB RAM but on Macs like the 2GB MBAs where the memory is non-upgradeable, I think it would be really helpful to know what could and should be switched off in order to enjoy the best results possible and of course the information could then be added to the Wiki.
Well, one obvious one is going into accessibility and turning off transparency. IIRC it makes quite a big difference.

(But it will make El Capitan look even more ugly than it normally does...)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Well, one obvious one is going into accessibility and turning off transparency. IIRC it makes quite a big difference.

According to this article it definitely makes a big difference.

The results detailed in this article are very interesting.

screen-shot-2015-10-15-at-21-59-15.png

(But it will make El Capitan look even more ugly than it normally does...)

I think that I can live with that trade-off and I honestly prefer it without the transparency effect.

Thanks. :)

A few more of these and we'll have an optimisation/tweaks category. I'll see what tips I can come up with. ;)

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
I think that I can live with that trade-off and I honestly prefer it without the transparency effect.
On Mojave, I actually prefer no transparency in conjunction with Dark Mode. I have come to live without it on my 2007 MBP and 2010 MBA (on El Cap) to lighten the load on the older GPUs too.

This is worth checking out:

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
On Mojave, I actually prefer no transparency in conjunction with Dark Mode. I have come to live without it on my 2007 MBP and 2010 MBA (on El Cap) to lighten the load on the older GPUs too.

It's funny that you mention Dark Mode because whilst deactivating transparency, I happened to stumble across a setting that more or less provides that appearance on El Capitan. :)

KyYshqH.png

This is worth checking out:

I shall indeed and thanks! :D

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Opera (current release)
You might want to revise that statement:
1674227047526.png

Edit: Removed Opera current release from the first post. Added Chromium browser, certificate updates and DRM managment.

Last edited:

Yessirrom

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2023
My early 2008 iMac still works (with El Captan) but I've read it is vulnerable to malware. I thought I could attach a new Mac Mini to it and thus at least make use of the display, but that is apparently impossible. Anyone have any suggestions?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
One possible solution is to upgrade your old Mac to a more current system. I am running Ventura on my Early 2008 iMac, and works better than I first expected. A bit slow, but still a current system. You would want to make sure that you have replaced the original hard drive with an SSD, and upgraded to max Ram to 6GB. The 4GB Ram stick for that is still a bit pricey. I have not popped for that, and continue with 4GB - which is OK for the age of the iMac.
How did I get Ventura installed?
OCLP does that very well.
Target Display (where you can connect to use the iMac as an external display) did not appear until the Late 2009 iMacs, and only on 27-inch at the beginning, where you could use the thunderbolt connection for video input, and you would need another Mac that also has thunderbolt. That Target Display mode is not available on your iMac, although you could modify your iMac for video in, if you can discover how to do that. It would be major surgery on the iMac itself, I expect.

Last edited:

lucien1030

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Supported Hardware
  • iMac (Mid 2007 to Late 2015)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 to Late 2014)
  • Mac Pro - including Server configurations (Early 2008 to Late 2013)
  • Xserve (2009)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2007 to Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Mid 2012 to Mid 2015)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 to Early 2015)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum Unibody; Early 2009 to Mid 2010 Polycarbonate)
  • MacBook with Retina Display (Early 2015; Early 2016)
Compatible Hardware Not Officially Supported
  • iMac (Late 2006; no graphics acceleration)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2007; no graphics acceleration)
  • Mac Pro (2006 and 2007; with supported GPU)
  • MacBook Pro (Late 2006; no graphics acceleration)
  • MacBook Air (Early 2008; no graphics acceleration)
  • MacBook (Late 2006 to Early 2008 Polycarbonate; no graphics acceleration)
Note: El Capitan will run terribly without graphics acceleration. Having a supported (e)GPU is highly advisable.

Minimum RAM
  • 2 GB (4 GB or more is highly recommended)

Minimum Hard Drive Space / Partition Size
  • 20 GB

Release Date
  • September 30th, 2015

Getting El Capitan: This is a v10.11.6 installer DMG (so no need for the combo update) straight from Apple's servers. Open it and install the package contained within, which will put the Install OS X El Capitan.app bundle into the Applications folder. You can then run it to upgrade an older version of OS X in-place or use the createinstallmedia command to create a bootable installation medium.

Apple Software Updates

Web Browsers
Issue this command. You may need to adjust the path as 98.0.4758.102 will likely change:
Code:
sudo rsync -av "/Volumes/Google Chrome/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Frameworks/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Versions/98.0.4758.102/Libraries/WidevineCdm" "/Applications/Chromium.app/Contents/Frameworks/Chromium Framework.framework"
Password:
building file list ... done
WidevineCdm/
WidevineCdm/LICENSE
WidevineCdm/manifest.json
WidevineCdm/_platform_specific/
WidevineCdm/_platform_specific/mac_x64/
WidevineCdm/_platform_specific/mac_x64/libwidevinecdm.dylib
WidevineCdm/_platform_specific/mac_x64/libwidevinecdm.dylib.sig

sent 11011685 bytes  received 126 bytes  4404724.40 bytes/sec
total size is 11009897  speedup is 1.00
FTP & Networking
  • [...]

Dashboard Widgets
  • [...]

Web Design & Development
  • [...]

Audio & Video
  • [...]

Games
  • [...]

Graphics & Design
  1. Affinity Suite (latest versions!)

Writing & Note Taking
  • [...]

Office & Productivity
  • iWork '09 9.3 (link is to software update; try eBay for retail discs.)

Tools & Utilities
  • [...]

Tips
Code:
curl --etag-compare etag.txt --etag-save etag.txt --remote-name https://curl.se/ca/cacert.pem
  • Save this script as trustroot.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
DIR=${TMPDIR}/trustroot.$$
mkdir -p ${DIR}
trap "rm -rf ${DIR}" EXIT
cat "$1" | (cd $DIR && /usr/bin/split -p '-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----' - cert- )
for c in ${DIR}/cert-* ; do
   security -v add-trusted-cert -d -r trustRoot -k "/Library/Keychains/System.keychain" "$c"
done
rm -rf ${DIR}
  • Issue this command:
Code:
chmod 755 trustroot.sh
sudo ./trustroot.sh /path/to/cacert.pem
Where the /path/to/ should be replaced by your actual path. The certificates will then operate as trusted roots in addition to the certificates in the original System Roots keychain. This will eliminate the certificate expired error issue in Safari.

Note: This is a WikiPost. Feel free to add any softwares or additional OS info that you find. Add new categories if you feel your software does not fit under any current category. Some of these lists may not be populated currently, so please add a bullet list (Unordered List.) Unbold the links if they are bolded.[/icode]
Hi, I happened to see this article, and I own an iMac 20' (2006 late) A1207. I wonder whether my iMac is able to be upgraded to OSX El Capitan? I already made a USB boot device, but when I choose to boot with the USB the iMac stays on Apple logo screen. The installer page doesn't show up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.