Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 28, 2015
I had a look at the system requirements for the DosDude patchers and even the one for High Sierra doesn't support the 2006 iMac.
Late 2006 iMacs are stuck with El Capitan no matter what due to non-SSE4 CPUs. Missing graphics drivers once going past patched Mavericks is a huge additional issue even if one gets El Capitan to run though.

Hi, I happened to see this article, and I own an iMac 20' (2006 late) A1207. I wonder whether my iMac is able to be upgraded to OSX El Capitan? I already made a USB boot device, but when I choose to boot with the USB the iMac stays on Apple logo screen.
At the minimum, you need to use a patched boot.efi on your USB drive to boot the El Capitan installer. Additional patches are then required to get USB working for keyboard and mouse input IIRC, and you'll still be stuck without graphics acceleration.

As far as i’m aware the furthest you could go is a patched 10.8 install on that machine.
Mavericks. ;)

FWIW, I got Yosemite running on a late 2006 MacBook Pro by replacing boot.efi and editing PlatformSupport.plist. USB works without further ado but lack of graphics acceleration is kinda… brutal.

edit: I realised the first sentence was potentially misleading/unclear and (hopefully) made it clearer.

Last edited:

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Late 2006 iMacs are stuck with El Capitan no matter what due to non-SSE4 CPUs. Missing graphics drivers once going past patched Mavericks is a huge additional issue even if one gets El Capitan to run though.

At the minimum, you need to use a patched boot.efi on your USB drive to boot the El Capitan installer. Additional patches are then required to get USB working for keyboard and mouse input IIRC, and you'll still be stuck without graphics acceleration.

Mavericks. ;)

FWIW, I got Yosemite running on a late 2006 MacBook Pro by replacing boot.efi and editing PlatformSupport.plist. USB works without further ado but lack of graphics acceleration is kinda… brutal.

edit: I realised the first sentence was potentially misleading/unclear and (hopefully) made it clearer.
Oh my gosh, Mavericks eh? I had no idea. Definitely going to try that. Thanks for the link!

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.