Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Some more tidbits:
- It's the 11-inch version.
- He really likes the trackpad swiping and scrolling
- Also really likes the typing experience
- Does not like the materials - same as Smart Keyboard Folio
- Does not like the weight - very heavy
- USB-C is charging only
- He says the trackpad is same as a MacBook, but also that it's not haptic. He followed this up saying you can click anywhere on the trackpad.
- It cannot be folded back. There is a maximum fold-back angle.
- The angle before you engage 'lift-off' from the bottom third of the case is very shallow - below 90 degrees.
- The angle adjustment is very smooth.
- He has an issue with the top-right area of the top row of keys. When typing at certain angles, he is hitting the underside of the iPad and he says it is an issue.
- Backlight adjustment is based on ambient light but can be done manually from settings
- The box is simple and does not contain anything else. It shows three positions on the back, see screenshot:

View attachment 907036
[automerge]1587213389[/automerge]
Can the mods combine all the posts from these two threads?

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Can the keyboard talk to the iPad without being physically connected? Via Bluetooth?

mdjasrie

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
Singapore
Does the magic keyboard allows one finger opening? Just like all the macbooks‘ smoothly calibrated hinges?

Does the keyboard side have a magnet to keep the whole thing firmly closed? Or will the hinge be sufficient to keep things tightly closed?

MrExitStrategy

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Does the magic keyboard allows one finger opening? Just like all the macbooks‘ smoothly calibrated hinges?

Does the keyboard side have a magnet to keep the whole thing firmly closed? Or will the hinge be sufficient to keep things tightly closed?
it does not allow for a one finger opening. The hinge is enough to keep it tightly closed.

mdjasrie

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
Singapore
Do you think the trackpad is of sufficient size and/or space for satisfactory cursor movement?

What is the material used to hold the back of the iPad Pro? Is it the same microfiber material as in the smart keyboard?

MrExitStrategy

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Do you think the trackpad is of sufficient size and/or space for satisfactory cursor movement?

What is the material used to hold the back of the iPad Pro? Is it the same microfiber material as in the smart keyboard?

Material is the same as the smart keyboard. The trackpad is sufficient, though bigger would be preferred.
[automerge]1587221629[/automerge]
Made another comparison video with the Smart Folio keyboard and answers to some of the questions I got.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Material is the same as the smart keyboard. The trackpad is sufficient, though bigger would be preferred.
Made another comparison video with the Smart Folio keyboard and answers to some of the questions I got.

56 subscribers in a matter of hours mate

Nice content- you should get some media coverage from this

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006

The one handed opening is pretty rough. Does the iPad interfere with the number keys?

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
If you can answer one question of mine, that would be great. Is there any way that you can prop it up in portrait mode? Like, do any of the magnets on the Magic Keyboard catch the back of the iPad Pro so that you can hold it up vertically? I wouldn't use it this way, obviously, but if I just wanted to read something horizontally.

My previous Logitech keyboard allowed me to detach from the keyboard and use it vertically with the hinge. Wondering if I can somehow lay it against the keyboard's back just to read. Thanks~

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I should receive my Magic Keyboard early next week. I’m interested to see how usable it is away from a desk, in comparison to my Brydge Pro.

I have a niggling suspicion that I will likely end up returning the MK for the Brydge Pro +

soundwarp

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
I should receive my Magic Keyboard early next week. I’m interested to see how usable it is away from a desk, in comparison to my Brydge Pro.

I have a niggling suspicion that I will likely end up returning the MK for the Brydge Pro +
you may regret that

Angelo Ruiz

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
I wonder what’s the max watts the case can receive and charge the iPad? like does it charge at 12 V or 18 V? how fast does it charge

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I do like the Brydge concept. I mean geez, they put it out there before Apple. But, can they match the Apple trackpad keyboard’s functionality? I sent Brydge an e-mail a week or so ago, and they said it was up to Apple’s iOS updates. So, does Apple hamper third party keyboard trackpads?

I’m wondering if Apple’s external trackpad, and mice have a leg up with full functionality, or is it just that the current iOS is not up to the task yet? I’m just trying to find the best solution for full trackpad/mouse functionality. I’m very concerned that there is no clear information on this question despite the videos that try to address how well the options work vs. the trackpad on a MacBook. I’m willing to invest in both the iPad and MacBook. I’m just trying to figure out my next move. I currently own the iPad Pro 2018.

Last edited:

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I owned the Brydge keyboard for 11” pro for a year. I found it to be a terrible typing experience long term. The key caps are too small and completely flat making it uncomfortable and leading to lots of typos. The killer feature of the magic keyboard seems to be the full sized keys. Also the brydge keyboard doubled the thickness of the iPad.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I'm eagerly awaiting my 12.9" keyboard for my 2018 12.9".

I had the ASK for my 2017 iPad and really liked it, but when I got my 2018, I got tempted by the Brydge Pro and so that's what I got. It ended up taking a very long time to arrive and I kind of regretted getting it due to the wait, the weight and also that I find inserting and removing the iPad to be awkward.

The Magic Keyboard is going to be so much easier to dock and remove the iPad than the Brydge and it will essentially be like having inductive charging for my iPad Pro as the Magic Keyboard can be connected to the charger on my desk. I also like that the keyboard doesn't need to be charged.

I currently mostly use my iPad with the Smart Folio cover (non keyboard cover) for portability and I often take the cover off for use once I'm seated or laying down anyway. I use a clear skin (Best Skins Ever) on the back of my iPad that has cutouts for a dock connector, so I feel like my iPad is protected against scratches when it's out of the case. I don't transport it without the cover though.
Another benefit for me, moving from the Brydge to the Magic Keyboard, is the trackpad as it will be especially great for scrolling web pages since when I use the Brydge and I'm just reading forums, there is a lot of scrolling and it's not so great with the keyboard between myself and the iPad screen.
It looks like the keys are going to be great. I have the 15" MacBook Pro, 2019, so the last model with the butterfly keys. I've had zero issues with the keyboard so far and quite like it actually, but supposedly the 16" MacBook Pro keyboard is even better and the Magic Keyboard is supposed to be similar to that.
Even though I liked the ASK, I always thought the fabric feel to the keys was odd for a keyboard, so that was another reason that I selected the Brydge previously. So that will also be a plus for the Magic Keyboard.

Unfortunately, I didn't discover that pre-orders were open until the next day as I was sitting in the 11" vs 12.9" thread only for a couple of days. I'd seen news that the SE was out and available, but I had no alerts for the MK which is odd. So my delivery time for the US keyboard to Australia is 05/05-12/05, but my credit card was charged within an hour of ordering. Until then, I'm enjoying the posts and review videos.

Fat.tofu

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2020
I am actually curious if the Magic Keyboard can be use upside down like this:

Its one of the various way / hack for Smart Keyboard Folio to get good drawing /writing angle. Looks rather silly but its actually quite functional and firm.

Attachments

• 85AF6F7C-1F39-4162-8CD7-E72AB3322CE3.jpeg
    85AF6F7C-1F39-4162-8CD7-E72AB3322CE3.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 204

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I am actually curious if the Magic Keyboard can be use upside down like this:

Its one of the various way / hack for Smart Keyboard Folio to get good drawing /writing angle. Looks rather silly but its actually quite functional and firm.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering if this is possible too, although I was imagining it with the back of the iPad (the back of the keyboard) being flat on the table and the keyboard part vertical. I thought that it wouldn’t be at a right angle though. So if the bend in the back of the keyboard could be used and the iPad on more of an angle, like in the above video, then that would help with keeping the keyboard more out of the way than what I was imagining.

Reactions: Fat.tofu

Scorcher

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
I currently mostly use my iPad with the Smart Folio cover (non keyboard cover) for portability and I often take the cover off for use once I'm seated or laying down anyway. I use a clear skin (Best Skins Ever) on the back of my iPad that has cutouts for a dock connector, so I feel like my iPad is protected against scratches when it's out of the case. I don't transport it without the cover though.
An

let me ask you. Do you did the clear skin for the back of the ipad give off a weird smell? I tried the Best SKins Ever back skin for my iPad and found that the the snart folio smelled like glue. Did that happen to you?

Fat.tofu

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2020
Yeah, I’ve been wondering if this is possible too, although I was imagining it with the back of the iPad (the back of the keyboard) being flat on the table and the keyboard part vertical. I thought that it wouldn’t be at a right angle though. So if the bend in the back of the keyboard could be used and the iPad on more of an angle, like in the above video, then that would help with keeping the keyboard more out of the way than what I was imagining.

Yes i was thinking something like diagram below

Not sure if hinge A. will be rigid enough to withhold the pressure specially from the top of the screen.
With the current SKF (when in this position) the iPad top part is held strong from the keyboard railing magnets creating a sturdy triangle base.

Hinge B. will most likely be okay. As seen from the video reviews, it seems like there’s some sort of click / lock mechanism that held it firm in place at that angle.

As for the fabric covering hinge B, i hope its flexible enough to be press flat like that..

Attachments

• 75A5C1E1-33E7-413C-BBC1-C6E937590B0A.png
    75A5C1E1-33E7-413C-BBC1-C6E937590B0A.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Reactions: Davidalan and m-a

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia

Not sure if hinge A. will be rigid enough to withhold the pressure specially from the top of the screen.
With the current SKF the iPad top part is held strong from the keyboard railing magnets creating sturdy a triangle base.

Hinge B. will most likely be okay. As seen from the video reviews, it seems like there’s some sort of click / lock mechanism that held it firm in place at that angle.

As for the fabric covering hinge B, i hope its flexible enough to be press flat like that..

Yeah, I am interested in knowing this too. Although, it isn’t necessary for my purchase as I am happy to detach my iPad and use it standalone or with my current Smart Folio anyway. So, I already have a solution, I’m just curious about whether it would work.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary

With the current SKF (when in this position) the iPad top part is held strong from the keyboard railing magnets creating a sturdy triangle base.

Unfortunately, hinge A might be the problem.
I was contemplating the thought as well, but having the hinge A completely flat.
The problem is that the keyboard is not at 90 degrees and it may come above the ipad too much.

I guess we will have to wait and see.... I hope Monday I get my hands-on.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The trackpad size looks ok in relation to the size of the keyboard itself which is the main thing surely?

Its funny though because there’s frequently posts on here saying Apple’s trackpads are too big and now we’ve got them saying this one is too small ?

Fat.tofu

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2020
Unfortunately, hinge A might be the problem.
I was contemplating the thought as well, but having the hinge A completely flat.
The problem is that the keyboard is not at 90 degrees and it may come above the ipad too much.

I guess we will have to wait and see.... I hope Monday I get my hands-on.

Thanks in advance buddy ?

I currently rotate between smart folio and smart keyboard folio. For a long period of image editing / illustrating / 3d mockup i always use the smart folio as i find it gives the best angle, the most stable and non-obstructive. But sometimes there was time when i only have my SFK with me and propping it like that helps me big time. Was hoping same thing with Magic Keyboard ? Not a huge deal as it clearly wasn’t build for that, but its nice if its able to as a backup. I always find drawing on flat surface give me neck strain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.