Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

PizzaUndervolt

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2020
Milano, Italy
I have priced an X99 dual CPU system and a 13th Gen Intel system. To get comparable multi-core performance, a newer system costs 3x more for the barebone components ex-GPU and storage. A newer system has faster single-core performance and a bit better power efficiency at load, that's pretty much it. For the X99, I get three x16 PCIe 3 and three x8 PCIe 3 slots, plus two 2.5G network port and 2x NVME slots directly to the CPU.

In fact, if I sell my current working MacPro4,1 with 96GB RAM, I could pretty much cover the barebone cost of the new X99 systems which I plan to mod into the dead MacPro case. (Mac Pro price is higher in Australia).

Given the dual xeon Mac Pro 5,1 can do sleep and power management properly in both Monterey and Ventura, shouldn't it also be possible for a X99 system?
Yeah, multicore performance, what macos killer app really cares about that?
Yes you will get nice cinebench screenshots, if you can get it to boot...awesome

pywm

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2023
Because no one that knows how to do hackintosh properly - thus, understanding some basics of computers - would ever build a dual cpu machine for a consumer operative system.
Just don't.
Source: i build hackintosh for living and have been through too many chinese X99 boards when at least single socket configs 2678v3 and ddr3 made sense against i9 9900

Now, i5 12400fhas same multicore and double singlecore at much lower power, same mem bandwith with ddr5 compared to quad channel ddr3/ddr4, and just much better quality boards (chinese x99 have got WORST, not better, since 2019)
Thanks for your advice.

I get all the arguments about old hardware, speed, time, etc. The fact that I am still using a Mac Pro 4,1 with Monterey (in my signature) as my daily drive says a lot already.

Still seems like no one can answer whether a dual CPU hackintosh can sleep properly or not? Someone should have attempted it one way or another.

If it can sleep properly, my goal is to fit it into my dead Mac Pro 4,1 case. So another time-wasting project.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Just build a PC. It’ll be fully supported and Windows really isn’t that bad these days. Plus it actually has a long term future, unlike x86 Mac. If ASi Macs don’t appeal, may as well rip off the Bandaid.

pywm

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2023
Just build a PC. It’ll be fully supported and Windows really isn’t that bad these days. Plus it actually has a long term future, unlike x86 Mac. If ASi Macs don’t appeal, may as well rip off the Bandaid.
A hackintosh is a PC ... When the time comes, the dual xeon system can be used as a high ram linux server, and much more stable than a consumer grade i5. I compile my own linux kernel, I know how to extract the last bit of performance from the hardware.

Reactions: phrehdd

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
OK, yes, PC = personal computer. But in this context, it’s pretty clear I’m talking about a Windows desktop.

The point is that rather than messing with hackintosh issues - especially if you intend to run dual CPUs on a no-name Chinese motherboard - you could install Windows and get on with your life. Your choice, obviously.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
last upgrade to my last hackintosh

6800 arrived today

so far so good

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 7.20.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 7.20.36 PM.png
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 84

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
I cannot see any reason to use a Dual CPU System for Hackintosh these day´s.

As far as i know only older Xeon Systems run Dual CPU with Hackintosh and there are plenty Options to go faster with 13th Intel or even AMD Threadripper plus you burn less energy.

Also i would go Windows for a High End Video & 3D System.
As i do not know what is the actual Industry leading Standard, @ my time using it i had SGI with Softimage and Henry from Quantel, but for 3D Cinema 4D seems to be used now, very CPU related.

I think the Hackintosh Time is over.... i still have my Z490 Based 10th Gen Silent System as a Backup and this runs Super Stable because it is very near to Apple Hardware, but bought the MBA M2 last Year because Apple´s Hardware attracted me again after the poor Intel MBP and MBA´s. Even my 2013 HP 8300 3rd Gen. CPU with BigSur felt snappier than these MBP´s....
So my visits to the Mac Store could not convince me @ that time.

I use Mac´s since 1988.....

Now i enjoy my MBA M2 Silent every Day working with it mostly in Clamshell Mode.
When i have to go or decide to Work somewhere else i just need to unplug and go.
My iPhone does provide Internet.
External Storage is only needed for Backup and Battery Run Time ist WorkDay proof.

Love it.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North

Windows is literal spyware trash, and it gets worse every iteration. I've intentionally turned TPM off on every Wintel computer we have at the office to prevent that Windows 11 garbage from infecting our computers before Microsoft starts migrating them against our will, like they did with Windows 10.

The last straw for me was forcing Chromium Edge into Windows, and removing the ability to uninstall it, or prevent it from being used EVERYWHERE in Windows (see EdgeDeflector). Windows in the most pervasive spyware in computing history. Microsoft took Chrome, removed Google's spyware and implemented their own.

PizzaUndervolt

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2020
Milano, Italy
Windows is literal spyware trash, and it gets worse every iteration. I've intentionally turned TPM off on every Wintel computer we have at the office to prevent that Windows 11 garbage from infecting our computers before Microsoft starts migrating them against our will, like they did with Windows 10.

The last straw for me was forcing Chromium Edge into Windows, and removing the ability to uninstall it, or prevent it from being used EVERYWHERE in Windows (see EdgeDeflector). Windows in the most pervasive spyware in computing history. Microsoft took Chrome, removed Google's spyware and implemented their own.
i use windowsXlite and there are many similar projects, they give a much better windows experience

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Windows 11 is fine. I think US versions have lots of bloat (TikTok etc.), but that’s not the case in Europe. You can turn off the telemetry stuff easily enough, and the MS account requirement is easily bypassed during install, by typing something quick into the command line.

I use Brave rather than Edge.

Reactions: pshufd

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
I actually thought my next computer was going to be my first new real Mac since 2012

Once I started looking at m3 performance and pricing I decided I wasn't really ready to spend big and give up all of my internal storage and ability to boot in to windows for the odd bit of gaming every now and again.

So for a fraction of the price of a similarly performant new Mac I upgraded the motherboard, gpu, cpu and ram in my existing box instead

my next new computer will almost certainly be a real Mac but for now I'm going to ride out the intel train to the end

Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 00.55.47 AM.png

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Still seems like no one can answer whether a dual CPU hackintosh can sleep properly or not? Someone should have attempted it one way or another.

from my own experience and other anecdotal evidence it would seem that it's difficult for almost any hackintosh to sleep properly

heck, even my real Macs always had trouble with sleep

pmset has always been an enigmatic black box to me

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
My 8700K Hackintosh can sleep without any issue, but I agree that's rare.

I also have a genuine Mac Pro 5,1. Sleep not always work (or even worse, mostly not work as expected). Now, I stick to Monterey, it sleep / wake quite well. At least the computer itself can sleep / wake without issue. Very occasionally, the monitor won't display anything after wake from sleep, but all I need to do is just power cycle the monitor (N.B the monitor itself is working properly, it can display from all other input. So, power cycle the monitor can fix the issue, but the problem is still macOS unstable GPU driver).

For dual CPU setup, if you are using some very old Xeon (e.g. dual X5690), then most likely you can make it sleep properly. However, by considering those CPU are so old, and a single modern CPU can outperform them, there is no point to create such a Hackintosh. Also, buying a dual X5690 genuine is cheap, then why go for Hackintosh?

But for modern Xeons, then I doubt if the OS can really deal with them properly. There is no such mac every sold. Therefore, most likely nothing is coded inside macOS to handle that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.