Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Finally got it finished today.

I'm re-using the original plastic mesh as gutter guard (it was an offcut from something else, but it's pretty close to perfect width for this gutter, but supported across the span of the gutter itself with sections of flat steel bar, which in turn are attached to the final screw holding the roof sheet metal down.

I didn't get any pics where you can actually see it. I'll have to do another short section that's connected to it soon though so I'll try to remember on that one.

Also re-worked where/how the drainage pipes connect.

Before (from the other day):
E64E6CB0-0C85-4DE5-BABA-6E841E10C85E_1_105_c.jpeg

After (not painted yet):

C40B66F2-9B5A-42E3-A8FF-91A3CE452CC0_1_105_c.jpeg

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
It started raining lightly a few hours after I finished, so I went upstairs to just have a quick look-see to make sure there's nothing catastrophically wrong, and I took a quick photo to show the mesh in place while I was at it.

zoooooom.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve got a clogged bathtub drain. Our adult grandson has been using this bathroom while living with us. About 2 years ago it was an issue, I went though many steps, and finally put a snake down the drain, from the vent above the bottom drain, and I remember the clog being below the trap and I could punch holes through it with the rotary snake, kind of fixed it, but not completely. I think it’s hair and am going to attack it again. Any suggestions for this time around? I think if the soul problem was in the trap it would be easier to correct. And no I don’t want to think about roots have gotten into the drain, at least not yet. No other drain in the house has any issues in this department,

I found this: https://plumbertip.com/drain-clogged-with-hair/

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I’ve got a clogged bathtub drain. Our adult grandson has been using this bathroom while living with us. About 2 years ago it was an issue, I went though many step, and finally put a snake down the drain, from the vent above the bottom drain, and I remember the clog being below the trap and I could punch holes through it with the rotary snake, kind of fixed it, but not completely. I think it’s hair and am going to attack it again. Any suggestions for this time around? I think if the soul problem was in the trap it would be easier to correct. And no I don’t want to think about roots hai g gotten into the drain, at least not yet. No other drain in the house has any issues in this department,

I found this: https://plumbertip.com/drain-clogged-with-hair/
I use a good wet/dry shop vacuum. It works surprisingly well at unclogging drains. To get a good seal. I use duct tape. Be sure to use a wet filter.

I make a couple passes to make sure it gets everything. Emptying in between to check what I’m getting. Letting it run five may bites each pass. Sometimes flicking on/off to sort of shock anything still holding on.

Its worked way better than any snake or drain cleaner. On sinks, I also plug the vent for bathrooms or second drain for the kitchen.

just note if the drain has a bar or other obstruction on the top. You’ll need to stop occasionally to fish out globs of hair or muck. So, wear gloves.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I use a good wet/dry shop vacuum. It works surprisingly well at unclogging drains. To get a good seal. I use duct tape. Be sure to use a wet filter.

I make a couple passes to make sure it gets everything. Emptying in between to check what I’m getting. Letting it run five may bites each pass. Sometimes flicking on/off to sort of shock anything still holding on.

Its worked way better than any snake or drain cleaner. On sinks, I also plug the vent for bathrooms or second drain for the kitchen.

just note if the drain has a bar or other obstruction on the top. You’ll need to stop occasionally to fish out globs of hair or muck. So, wear gloves.

Are you sucking or blowing? ;) serious question...
? Letting it run five may bites each pass.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Are you sucking or blowing? ;) serious question...
? Letting it run five may bites each pass.
Using suction to pull it out of the drain and into the vacuum.

I'm not that stringent about time. Just indicating more that it'll take a while and you want continous suction for a while with each pass.

At first you'll feel a bunch of water and debris moving through the hose. Then nothing. I'll let it run for a while. Then you might feel another surge of crap. Then check the drain to see if there is a mass of hair and unholy sludge. Pull out the mass and keep going.

Once I get to the point where it runs for a few minutes without feeling or hearing anything shooting through the hose. I'll clean out the canister of the vacuum. Then go back and continue vacuuming.

If I'm not getting anything anymore in the container. I'll try shocking it by turning the vacuum on/off. Also rapidly taking the hose on/off the drain. The idea being that the pipes are rapidly alternating between experiencing a vacuum and standard air pressure. This'll usually loosen up some extra crud stuck to the sides.

Once it seems nothing else is coming out. I'll clean the vacuum one more time. Then just let it run on the drain for several minutes and check if I'm getting anything more. If not I'll run the faucet and see how well it's doing. If it's being really stubborn. You can try prepping several gallons of boiling water. Dumping them down the drain to heat and loosen the sludge.

I've done this on a few drains which were plugging all the time. No matter how thoroughly I snake them or what drain cleaner I tried. It seemed I was back every couple months. As the real problem was beyond the trap. With old plugged up drain pipes.

Once all is said and done. Get a screen for your drain. I use these in the showers. I also replaced my sink traps with salon sink traps. As the salon trap has a large filter compartment. Which is also very easy to clean out. As it just unscrews from the bottom.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Rats in the attic...
I’ve been keeping Tom Cat brand poison blocks in the attic and they occasionally get nibbled on. Also use Combat brand gel for roaches, they eat it. The Air Conditioner guy said rats were nibbling on the pvc pipe AC condenser drain in the attic trying to get condensed water.* I asked rats, not mice? He said big hairy rats!**

* Without basements we keep our AC unit’s in the attic of all places.
** I’m thinking a movie quote from Ruthless People. ;)

Anyway I got 2 Tom Cat Brand Rat Snap Traps. Took a week but I caught one, not that big in the rat dept, but big enough. These are much better than the old fashioned wire bar mouse trap. Will provide a pic next time of the victim. :)

I have no idea how they get in, no holes that are visible, and I don’t know if they live in the attic or just visit. It gets damned hot up there in the summer.

F3EFDB33-6B7D-4243-96A7-E328E02D92B5.png

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Rats in the attic...
I’ve been keeping Tom Cat brand poison blocks in the attic and they occasionally get nibbled on. Also use Combat brand gel for roaches, they eat it. The Air Conditioner guy said rats were nibbling on the pvc pipe AC condenser drain in the attic trying to get condensed water.* I asked rats, not mice? He said big hairy rats! ;)

Anyway I got 2 Tom Cat Brand Rat Snap Traps. Took a week but I caught one, not that big in the rat dept, but big enough. These are much better than the old fashioned wire bar mouse trap. Will provide a pic next time of the victim. :)

I have no idea how they get in, no holes that are visible, and I don’t know if they live in the attic or just visit. It gets damned hot up there in the summer.

Small rats can fit through a hole the size of a quarter. Probably getting through a vent shaft in the attic. Really they can be getting in anywhere throughout the house. Once inside they can easily get into walls. Then get to the attic going alongside ducts or plumbing. As there'll be plenty of space around those openings.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Without basements we keep our AC unit’s in the attic of all places.

... What 'unit' are you referring to? The compressor? Is this for ducted AC or per-room split-systems? Just curious - here it's all split systems, and the compressors live outside. We put in a pair of new inverter units a couple of years ago and within probably 6 months one of them needed a new control board (which is in the compressor, because why wouldn't you put complex circuitry in a box that lives in the weather) because a gecko had got into it and shorted it out.

That was nothing however, compared to when we just had them cleaned, and when the guy took apart the internal blower in one room, he found the skin a snake had shed.

For rats here, I've had pretty good luck with cage style traps, and then using quite ripe fruit or anything sweet really. Just have to get to it before Father-in-Law, or he'll release the little ****ers before I can treat them to an extended lesson of synchronised swimming.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
In between all the above repairs to gutters and drainage, I've been slowly sorting out hand tool organisation in the 'shed'.

I got sick of constantly digging through a giant toolbox, so of course the obvious thing was to pull everything out onto the only flat work surface, and then start working on some better storage:
42F39BF8-2A46-429A-9148-F8DCE70C6FD5_1_105_c.jpeg

From left to right on that wall (but almost in reverse order of it going up): 69F27BBB-87D4-4ADF-B5DD-111B1754E7DE_1_105_c.jpeg 492AA640-33CF-4A35-B4C6-6120D880FC67_1_105_c.jpeg 6BE5D914-AEA4-4889-8FC2-3DE2F6A0FE44_1_105_c.jpeg

The one downside to all this of course is that it's very obvious to Wifey how many tools I've bought, which I fear may lead to an increase in the rate of handbag purchasing ?

Reactions: velocityg4

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Rats in the attic...
I’ve been keeping Tom Cat brand poison blocks in the attic and they occasionally get nibbled on. Also use Combat brand gel for roaches, they eat it. The Air Conditioner guy said rats were nibbling on the pvc pipe AC condenser drain in the attic trying to get condensed water.* I asked rats, not mice? He said big hairy rats!**

Stick any holes you find full of wire wool. That helps stop them getting in.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
In between all the above repairs to gutters and drainage, I've been slowly sorting out hand tool organisation in the 'shed'.

I got sick of constantly digging through a giant toolbox, so of course the obvious thing was to pull everything out onto the only flat work surface, and then start working on some better storage:
View attachment 1773670

From left to right on that wall (but almost in reverse order of it going up): View attachment 1773666 View attachment 1773668 View attachment 1773667

The one downside to all this of course is that it's very obvious to Wifey how many tools I've bought, which I fear may lead to an increase in the rate of handbag purchasing ?
Nice. I’ve got some plans to deal with my garage ‘one day!’

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Using suction to pull it out of the drain and into the vacuum.

I'm not that stringent about time. Just indicating more that it'll take a while and you want continous suction for a while with each pass.

At first you'll feel a bunch of water and debris moving through the hose. Then nothing. I'll let it run for a while. Then you might feel another surge of crap. Then check the drain to see if there is a mass of hair and unholy sludge. Pull out the mass and keep going.

Once I get to the point where it runs for a few minutes without feeling or hearing anything shooting through the hose. I'll clean out the canister of the vacuum. Then go back and continue vacuuming.

If I'm not getting anything anymore in the container. I'll try shocking it by turning the vacuum on/off. Also rapidly taking the hose on/off the drain. The idea being that the pipes are rapidly alternating between experiencing a vacuum and standard air pressure. This'll usually loosen up some extra crud stuck to the sides.

Once it seems nothing else is coming out. I'll clean the vacuum one more time. Then just let it run on the drain for several minutes and check if I'm getting anything more. If not I'll run the faucet and see how well it's doing. If it's being really stubborn. You can try prepping several gallons of boiling water. Dumping them down the drain to heat and loosen the sludge.

I've done this on a few drains which were plugging all the time. No matter how thoroughly I snake them or what drain cleaner I tried. It seemed I was back every couple months. As the real problem was beyond the trap. With old plugged up drain pipes.

Once all is said and done. Get a screen for your drain. I use these in the showers. I also replaced my sink traps with salon sink traps. As the salon trap has a large filter compartment. Which is also very easy to clean out. As it just unscrews from the bottom.
The tub has two outlets, the drain and a vent over the drain. One would have to be covered. And I’d need a wet filter. Somehow I picture that as soon a enough of a hole exists in the clog, that the effectiveness of the suction would be much less?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The tub has two outlets, the drain and a vent over the drain. One would have to be covered. And I’d need a wet filter. Somehow I picture that as soon a enough of a hole exists in the clog, that the effectiveness of the suction would be much less?
seal the vent with duct tape. all I can say is it’s been very effective for me. Much more so than multiple passes with a snake, various drain cleaners and lots of boiling water.

CosminM

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
Bucharest

View attachment 1773670

From left to right on that wall (but almost in reverse order of it going up): View attachment 1773666 View attachment 1773668 View attachment 1773667

Nice job…i need this so much…i can‘t find anything in my storagehouse…is insane

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Rats in the attic...

Caught a rat, because I was not checking daily, 2 days later, icky mess, with maggots. Had to get the thing out of my attic, left a mess on the flooring.

Thinking about:

Anyone have experience with these?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
When we move into our house about a decade ago (Houston, Texas), at my wife’s urging because of the dust, we had the AC/Heating (flexible) ducts cleaned, but ever since then she has continued to complain about the amount of dust In the house. We gave modern windows so I don’t think the dust is sneaking in there. And is not something that I really notice, other than after a period of time there is dust in the corners that can be swept up. Note she has allergies and this is a pollen heavy location. I change out furnace air filters on occasion, and they never seem to be horribly clogged.

Now she has decided we need to have our ducts changed out, at an expense of $1500-$5000 depending on how much ducting there is. We live in a 2500SF one story house, all of the ducting is accessible in the attic. So I ask her what happens after we’ve spent this money, her allergies are the same as they always have been? ?

My reason for posting, I’m wondering if there is a method to easily measure airborne dust? I‘ll research this, but thought I’d ask here.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
When we move into our house about a decade ago (Houston, Texas), at my wife’s urging because of the dust, we had the AC/Heating (flexible) ducts cleaned, but ever since then she has continued to complain about the amount of dust In the house. We gave modern windows so I don’t think the dust is sneaking in there. And is not something that I really notice, other than after a period of time there is dust in the corners that can be swept up. Note she has allergies and this is a pollen heavy location. I change out furnace air filters on occasion, and they never seem to be horribly clogged.

Now she has decided we need to have our ducts changed out, at an expense of $1500-$5000 depending on how much ducting there is. We live in a 2500SF one story house, all of the ducting is accessible in the attic. So I ask her what happens after we’ve spent this money, her allergies are the same as they always have been? ?

My reason for posting, I’m wondering if there is a method to easily measure airborne dust? I‘ll research this, but thought I’d ask here.
Have you considered a negative pressure test on your house to identify leaks?

You could also be suffering from the stack effect. Where warm air is leaking up through the attic. While the lower floors draw in air from outdoors.

If you do manage to find and stop up all leaks. You'll also stop getting fresh air. So, you'd need a heat exchanger setup. To keep a fresh air supply coming in. On the plus side. You'll be able to filter that air and improve energy efficiency.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
@Huntn, there are systems like Trane’s CleanEffects that install in the attic between the ducts and the air handler. As the air blows through the system, it electrostatically charges particles in the air and filters them out. This system becomes the only filter, so you leave the air intakes in the ceiling open (no more disposable filters). The one I had at my previous house really helped with dust. One downside is that the filters on this machine in the attic need cleaning every so often, which requires climbing up into the attic.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@Huntn, there are systems like Trane’s CleanEffects that install in the attic between the ducts and the air handler. As the air blows through the system, it electrostatically charges particles in the air and filters them out. This system becomes the only filter, so you leave the air intakes in the ceiling open (no more disposable filters). The one I had at my previous house really helped with dust. One downside is that the filters on this machine in the attic need cleaning every so often, which requires climbing up into the attic.
What is involved with cleaning?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
What is involved with cleaning?
Basically just powering the unit down, removing the filters, cleaning them, put them back, power on and then reset the maintenance light. Below is a YouTube video that shows the process. My HVAC company recommended spraying out the first two filters (the honeycomb ones) outside and letting them dry.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston

Medically speaking all the authorities I’m aware of that have looked into this throughly say there is not much evidence in getting your ducts clean and the dust is just going to come back. Maybe invest in some higher quality filters (I use 3M brand filters) and change them regularly. Apparently the dust in the ducts is likely to stay put anyways.

I would check to make sure she has her allergies tested to ensure it’s just dust. If it is, ensuring the house (ESP bedroom) is clean as well as bedding and upholstery being cleaned regularly. Allergies can usually be well managed with several different classes of medications or immunotherapy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.