Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Basically just powering the unit down, removing the filters, cleaning them, put them back, power on and then reset the maintenance light. Below is a YouTube video that shows the process. My HVAC company recommended spraying out the first two filters (the honeycomb ones) outside and letting them dry.

Do you have this unit? If so, how would you rate it? I read an online article that said the long term performance of this unit is not good.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Medically speaking all the authorities I’m aware of that have looked into this throughly say there is not much evidence in getting your ducts clean and the dust is just going to come back. Maybe invest in some higher quality filters (I use 3M brand filters) and change them regularly. Apparently the dust in the ducts is likely to stay put anyways.

I would check to make sure she has her allergies tested to ensure it’s just dust. If it is, ensuring the house (ESP bedroom) is clean as well as bedding and upholstery being cleaned regularly. Allergies can usually be well managed with several different classes of medications or immunotherapy.
I just ordered some higher performance filters (Nordic Pure), fingers crossed. :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Do you have this unit? If so, how would you rate it? I read an online article that said the long term performance of this unit is not good.
Had. I had it for four years before I moved. Worked fine, but that’s not really long term. Where it would go in my current house is hard to get to so I didn’t pursue adding one here.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Had. I had it for four years before I moved. Worked fine, but that’s not really long term. Where it would go in my current house is hard to get to so I didn’t pursue adding one here.
I’ve started by ordering upgraded filters compared to what I was using before. Before was pleated filters but they had no rating that I know of. Now Nordic Pure Merv12 filters. https://www.mechreps.com/PDF/Merv_Rating_Chart.pdf

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Forgive me if I've asked this before, but the local storage unit place just raised their rates again. I have a 10x10 which has gone from under $100 to almost double that. I might as well spend $200 a month on a loan for that vs $200 to those money grubbing bastards.

Does anyone have an air conditioned Attic?
if so I'd like to know
  • how much it cost to install?
  • if there are any warnings or caveats?
  • and how pleased are you with it?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Forgive me if I've asked this before, but the local storage unit place just raised their rates again. I have a 10x10 which has gone from under $100 to almost double that. I might as well spend $200 a month on a loan for that vs $200 to those money grubbing bastards.

if so I'd like to know
Are you thinking of something like "attic encapsulation" or just framing in a section of the attic?

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL

if so I'd like to know
That is why I change storage units every three years or so. Let them price themselves out with price increase. Eventually, it is cheaper to move, including renting a U-Haul...except my next vehicle will be a truck. Also, last move discovered my homeowner's insurance covered off-site storage so dropped the garbage insurance they rental required. Also, check around and see who has move-in specials with reduced rates that makes moving feasible.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

if so I'd like to know
I’ve read about it before. If done right It can actually reduce energy cost. Especially if you have ducts running through a hot attic right now. The boards used in rafters can be quite thick. So filling with spray foam can give a high R-value.

With your ducts in a conditioned space. They lose a lot less cold air in the winter and hot air in the summer. While the returns also stay cooler/warmer. So when they go back through the central unit. They gain more heat/cold when going through the burners or A-coil.

I wanted to do this in my old house. But my new house is a split level. So the duct work already goes through a conditioned space. I also have an insane amount of storage space. So no need for using the attic.

Last edited:
Reactions: aristobrat

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve read about it before. If done right It can actually reduce energy cost. Especially if you have ducts running through a hot attic right now. The boards used in rafters can be quite thick. So filling with spray foam can give a high R-value.

With your ducts in a conditioned space. They lose a lot less cold air in the winter and hot air in the summer. While the returns also stay cooler/warmer. So when they go back through the central unit. They gain more heat/cold when going through the burners or A-coil.

I wanted to do this in my old house. But my new house is a split level. So the duct work already goes through a conditioned space. I also have an insane amount of storage space. So no need for using the attic.
Yep, our ducts have to overcome 120F attic to get cool air down to the rest of the house. This is that occurs when you live in a single story house, in Texas without a basement.

I think you also have to remove the insulation on the floor of the attic. I have 2‘ of blown insulation there.
:confused: I‘m going to check with some local contractors.

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Yep, our ducts have to overcome 120F attic to get cool air down to the rest of the house. This is that occurs when you live in a single story house, in Texas without a basement.

I think you also have to remove the insulation on the floor of the attic. I have 2‘ of blown insulation there.
:confused: I‘m going to check with some local contractors.

Once it's conditioned space. I don't think it would really matter. There isn't much chance of condensation (mold). If both the attic and floor below are roughly the same temperature. Although you'll probably want to remove some of it at least. So, that you can throw down some plywood to make the conditioned space more usable for storage.

I will say. To help out the vents in my old house. I went through. Tore the duct isulation back at each joint and taped it (aluminum duct tape). Then patched the insulation and wrapped a second layer. Which improved airflow and reduced the temp of the air coming out of the ducts. It's amazing how much are leaks from the joints.

I also built a custom return box on my furnace. The original contractor screwed that all up. But that's another story.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Once it's conditioned space. I don't think it would really matter. There isn't much chance of condensation (mold). If both the attic and floor below are roughly the same temperature. Although you'll probably want to remove some of it at least. So, that you can throw down some plywood to make the conditioned space more usable for storage.

I will say. To help out the vents in my old house. I went through. Tore the duct isulation back at each joint and taped it (aluminum duct tape). Then patched the insulation and wrapped a second layer. Which improved airflow and reduced the temp of the air coming out of the ducts. It's amazing how much are leaks from the joints.

I also built a custom return box on my furnace. The original contractor screwed that all up. But that's another story.
When I first looked at a conditioned attic, I was worried about spray foam covering the entirety of the underside of the roof, as in it would be hard to spot issues in the roof, anyhow…

I’m investigating spray foam contractors in the area. Once conditioned, it would not be difficult to create a vent in the attic to blow cool air up there. There might be a need to put some air registers in the ceiling to facilitate air exchange from the living area to the attic. Maybe I could get away without removing most of the cellulose up there, just lower it so that flooring could be put down.

Reactions: velocityg4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.