Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Got an "open box" which I inspected and it was brand new 8/256 from MicroCenter for 1079 + tax. Which is a fair price for the laptop, not that ridiculous 1399 lol.
Nice find. Definitely a good price. The Micro Center here in Dallas has been running these on sale for a while now, $1199 and $999 (which should be the regular everyday price on these), but when one comes back, it's even cheaper. Looks like you snagged a great deal!!
[doublepost=1544370326][/doublepost]
Will answer myself.
Yesterday I went to a store that sells Apple equipment and accessories to it, bought a docking station for the watch and decided to see the default settings for nvram on computers that were there, namely mbp and new air. And you know what? When I typed "nvram -p" command in Terminal, I didn't see the "AutoBoot" parameter at all. It turns out that by default it is not at all in the settings and with its prescription we add it manually?
You're in the wrong thread, buddy. You're in the "I just bought/ordered/got/shipped my new/refurb MBA" thread. You should have started a new thread under "MacBook Air" maybe titled, "Need help with AutoBoot and Terminal command." Or something like that. You'll probably get some quicker answers to your problem that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0092762 and sheiko

sheiko

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
You're in the wrong thread, buddy. You're in the "I just bought/ordered/got/shipped my new/refurb MBA" thread. You should have started a new thread under "MacBook Air" maybe titled, "Need help with AutoBoot and Terminal command." Or something like that. You'll probably get some quicker answers to your problem that way.
Yep, I think so too.

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
Nice find. Definitely a good price. The Micro Center here in Dallas has been running these on sale for a while now, $1199 and $999 (which should be the regular everyday price on these), but when one comes back, it's even cheaper. Looks like you snagged a great deal!!
Even better deal because tax was only 3.5% at this microcenter and I got 5% off with the Microcenter store card, so walked out of the door with $1060 macbook air.

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
46647636492_2ce86efdc8_h.jpg

I sourced this gem, a 2012 MBA 11 inch, from ebay for $75. All I had to do was replace the upper case/keyboard assembly, get a new battery and a used 500GB SSD storage drive to get this up and running. I started out with MBA51.00EF.B05 bootrom before starting my firmware updates. I started out by installing High Sierra and the firmware updated my bootrom to MBA51.00F7.B00 and then after I installed Mojave the firmware updated to 253.0.0.0.0 bootrom. As far as I now this is the latest bootrom for the 2012 MBA 11 inch.

32825517598_7e55ee8fe7_c.jpg

Ideally I would like to have 8GB but the OS and any application software I'm running (running one app at a time obviously) seems to do okay. Perhaps my next computer project I will change out the logic board in this MBA for one with an i7 processor and 8GB RAM... so you can consider this MBA refurbished ;)

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
that's amazing! what did the seller describe the condition as?

My MBA was sold as a liquid spill. When I took the laptop out of the package, there were several keys that were sticking when you pressed on them so I’m guessing either a soda or juice spill that had occurred.

Fortunately none of the liquid reached the logic board and the track pad was easily cleaned off and reused so when the new upper case/keyboard assembly arrived I was able to swap everything over.

The ifixit repair guides and tools are amazing when doing repairs on these computers

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Today I’m picking up a 16GB/512GB 2018 MBA. I never should’ve sold the 2013 MBA I used to have, but on the other hand this new MBA finally has exactly what I wished the MBA had - a Retina display and a glass screen. My old MBA I had to get the display replaced several times because the ****** plastic kept easily scratching somehow, I used to look at the MBP with envy with that glass Retina, but I preferred the form factor of the MBP, so this is kind of the product I’ve wanted since 2013.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Today I’m picking up a 16GB/512GB 2018 MBA. I never should’ve sold the 2013 MBA I used to have, but on the other hand this new MBA finally has exactly what I wished the MBA had - a Retina display and a glass screen. My old MBA I had to get the display replaced several times because the ****** plastic kept easily scratching somehow, I used to look at the MBP with envy with that glass Retina, but I preferred the form factor of the MBP, so this is kind of the product I’ve wanted since 2013.
Congrats!! Nice machine. Curious, how is it that you are picking up this new computer? These are BTO, so shouldn't this computer be shipped to you direct from Apple? Are you buying this computer from somewhere where you can just walk in and pick it up?

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Congrats!! Nice machine. Curious, how is it that you are picking up this new computer? These are BTO, so shouldn't this computer be shipped to you direct from Apple? Are you buying this computer from somewhere where you can just walk in and pick it up?
My local Apple Stores happened to have the configuration that I wanted (16/512) in stock, so I did in-store pickup.

JemiS

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2015
Just ordered a refurbed 13.3 with the 2.2 i7 and a 256 drive.

I’m really happy- I have a 2011 11” that’s still my primary laptop, and think this will be a nice all around upgrade that is hopefully just as reliable.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
So funny enough, literally the day after I got it, the anti reflective coating already started coming off. I knew this was an issue with most of the Retina MacBooks, but I didn't think it was that bad. I promptly brought it back and bought a 2017 off the Apple refurb site instead - 8GB/i7/512GB. With the exception of the display and the RAM, I prefer everything else about this computer. As the previous owner of a 2013 MBA, it's like saying hello to an old friend again. Plus the keyboard is 100x better on the older MBA, with the 2018 I had to feel like I had to be careful. On the 2017 I can just type away.

Reactions: JemiS

booncol

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Just bought MBA 2018 base model for my wife. I must say i'm very happy how it works, how light, thin and portable it is. Also the touchpad IMO is much more comfortable and clicky than the one in my MBP 15" 2018. Of course this is not a power house, but he was never supposed to be.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
You are now aware Costco has the 2018 model for $999

https://slickdeals.net/coupons/costco-wholesale/
Costco's great! Buy a Mac and Costco will double the warranty to 2 years. Use your Costco Visa card to pay for it and Visa will double your warranty to 4 years. No need for AppleCare! Woop! Plus, you have a 90-day return policy. It's a 4-day only sale, so you'll have to move fast.

Reactions: Macdctr

leprekon666

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
Ontario
Finally got my first Apple laptop and got the MacBook Air 256/8. Just curious I seen all these unboxing videos of the laptop booting when opening the screen. Now mine didn’t and held the Touch ID/power button and nothing happened. I plug the power brick and it booted and saw it was at 98%. Is this just cause it was shipped from BC to Ontario in a week and the cold weather from shipping just needed a boost of power to start up?

Reactions: AustinIllini

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
Just ordered a refurbished Gold 16/256 2018 MBA. :D

This replaces a 13" Mid-2012 MBA that I utterly destroyed. When a full cup of tea leaks from all the bottom edges, you know you're screwed. :oops:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Just ordered a refurbished Gold 16/256 2018 MBA. :D

This replaces a 13" Mid-2012 MBA that I utterly destroyed. When a full cup of tea leaks from all the bottom edges, you know you're screwed. :oops:

Is Brits love our tea :D nice configuration by the way :)

Do you think getting 16GB Ram on the MacBook Air is worth it? I will be buying a new Mac at some point (not in a rush at the moment) and wonder if 16GB is worth it.

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill

Do you think getting 16GB Ram on the MacBook Air is worth it? I will be buying a new Mac at some point (not in a rush at the moment) and wonder if 16GB is worth it.

We do indeed enjoy our tea. I had to make another cuppa just to calm down.

I had 8GB in my old MBA, and was starting to get the beachball more frequently, which is why I went with 16GB this time. It's easier to plug in extra storage than upgrade / replace RAM, so for me extra RAM is a no-brainer.

Reactions: Dave245

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

I honestly can't speak for the RAM, but the way this thing runs (16/256) is literally silent. It's unbelievably impressive.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It’s nice to see some positive posts instead of the negative ones :)

Sounds like you recommend the new Air.
The keyboard is, of course, the elephant in the room. I can't tell if I should have a keyboard cover to keep the dust out (not sure if that will damage the screen or not) or if I should just deal with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.