Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
The sound quality is very good.
How does the sound quality compare to the old MacBook Air? The sound quality of my new 2017 MBA is pretty good, but I'm wondering if they made improvements to the speakers.
[doublepost=1554208462][/doublepost]
Yes nice, I think it really depends on your needs and share of wallet, I was looking a while for a MB 12" (portable master in Apple class) but the only USB 3.1 Gen 1 port with 5Gbit was scaring me for the case of future expansions. The MBA '18 has 2x 40Gbit TB3 ports to use external components with very good speed, therefor I chose this one and of course I got it cheaper than MBP with 16GB and 512GB SSD, pretty great that you can exchange the SSD, on MBA ´18 all is "on board fixed" !
You could get one of these:https://satechi.net/collections/hub...pass-through-usb-hub-with-usb-c-charging-port
It's a USB-C hub that attaches to the side of the Macbook. It's not as good as having the ports you need onboard, but at least it does mount to the side of the Macbook without a bunch of dongles.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
I ordered mba 2018 8gb / 256gb version approx 9270 liras (usd 1650) with 2 year warranty. Its expensive in Turkey.

Space grey colour i ordered but now rethinking to swap for silver.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Has anybody ordered a refurbished one yet? How was it?

I'm eyeballing a 512/16 refurb machine for $1500 and change. I haven't seen as many people commenting on the quality of refurbs as in years past. Still like new?

I only bought refurbished Apple products when I was younger and they were always like new.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Has anybody ordered a refurbished one yet? How was it?

I'm eyeballing a 512/16 refurb machine for $1500 and change. I haven't seen as many people commenting on the quality of refurbs as in years past. Still like new?

I only bought refurbished Apple products when I was younger and they were always like new.

Its not changed, literally new

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I was just looking at the Macbook Air and i noticed it's not available for in store pick up at my nearest Apple store, does this mean they have sold out of that configuration? or could there be an update coming?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-04-08 at 20.06.51.png
    Screenshot 2019-04-08 at 20.06.51.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 146

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I was just looking at the Macbook Air and i noticed it's not available for in store pick up at my nearest Apple store, does this mean they have sold out of that configuration? or could there be an update coming?

I think your store just ran out of stock. Mine still has base, 256, 512/16 configs

mtectail

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
Germany - North sea
How does the sound quality compare to the old MacBook Air? The sound quality of my new 2017 MBA is pretty good, but I'm wondering if they made improvements to the speakers.
[doublepost=1554208462][/doublepost]
You could get one of these:https://satechi.net/collections/hub...pass-through-usb-hub-with-usb-c-charging-port
It's a USB-C hub that attaches to the side of the Macbook. It's not as good as having the ports you need onboard, but at least it does mount to the side of the Macbook without a bunch of dongles.

Yes, that it's cute, price is really great compared to Thunderbolt docking solutions. I have only one concern of purchasing MB 12" and this is the one USB-C port (because it's "just" USB...), unless the MB 12" is from performance with i7 CPU stronger in some circumstances than MBA 2018 i5, there is "no Thunderbolt 2 or 3" and only one port for ALL, charging, backup, HDMI...

mtectail

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
Germany - North sea
Will get the MBA with 1,5 TB SSD version, will post some speed differences between 512 vs 1500 GB for some who cares / need to know...

As Mac Mini have huge differences between 128 GB > 1 TB, as mentioned in one Twitter threads saw, I'm really looking forward to see if this match with MBA.

mtectail

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
Germany - North sea
After some testing 1.5TB with BM, AJA and some other tools, you'll get approx 300-500MB/s write more depends on file size, read is same like 256>512G.
So compared to MM tweet for Mini 2018, its less, not worth it... go for 512G this is really changing any speed compared to 128 or 256. Ciao...

Cheers
~M

Last edited:

sevecc

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2018
Poland
Hey everyone,

Probably won't say anything new but these are just some of my impressions :)

Got mine 2018 Air in space grey a week ago. Decided to go with the base configuration as I keep most of my things in the iCloud anyway.

So far, really very happy with it.
Moving from a 2017 Air there is nothing to be compared. It is so much better in every way.
Love the Retina display (brightness is totally ok for me), speakers, new track pad and keyboard (I know some will say is strange but I like this keyboard mor then the old one). Touch ID is super handy especially when filling in the passwords.
For my everyday tasks as: mail, office, safari, youtube, netflix plus some communicators like Skype or WhatsApp, it is more than enough.
Everything is snappy and works flawlessly.

Most people had been telling me to get the 2017 non Touch Bar Pro instead, but I am happy I went with the Air :)

Reactions: auxbuss

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Hey everyone,

Probably won't say anything new but these are just some of my impressions :)

Got mine 2018 Air in space grey a week ago. Decided to go with the base configuration as I keep most of my things in the iCloud anyway.

So far, really very happy with it.
Moving from a 2017 Air there is nothing to be compared. It is so much better in every way.
Love the Retina display (brightness is totally ok for me), speakers, new track pad and keyboard (I know some will say is strange but I like this keyboard mor then the old one). Touch ID is super handy especially when filling in the passwords.
For my everyday tasks as: mail, office, safari, youtube, netflix plus some communicators like Skype or WhatsApp, it is more than enough.
Everything is snappy and works flawlessly.

Most people had been telling me to get the 2017 non Touch Bar Pro instead, but I am happy I went with the Air :)

As long as you will not be doing video editing photo editing or professional stuff you may never need macbook pro.

For your type of usage mba is a good choice.

Form factor is better than macbook pro, it works quieter, doing less heat on the lap. 3rd gen keyboard is better, t2 chip is doing siri and encrypt in the fly and touch id is secure and fast.

Pro on the other can be faster in benchmarks but with your type of usage you will not notice considerable performance difference. With mojave update screen is now 400nits which quite fine.

The only fallback i found is p3 colour gamut on macbook pro but you will not notice the difference unless you put them side by side. Mba screen is already good.

Reactions: Dave245

sevecc

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2018
Poland
As long as you will not be doing video editing photo editing or professional stuff you may never need macbook pro.

Form factor is better than macbook pro, it works quieter, doing less heat on the lap. 3rd gen keyboard is better, t2 chip is doing siri and encrypt in the fly and touch id is secure and fast.

Pro on the other can be faster in benchmarks but with your type of usage you will not notice considerable performance difference. With mojave update screen is now 400nits which quite fine.

The only fallback i found is p3 colour gamut on macbook pro but you will not notice the difference unless you put them side by side. Mba screen is already good.

Agree with all you say :)

What do you mean by: " With mojave update screen is now 400nits which quite fine" ??

Never heard of it...

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Agree with all you say :)

What do you mean by: " With mojave update screen is now 400nits which quite fine" ??

Never heard of it...

Mba from the box is coming with 300nits brightness display which is not fine and dim when you are using it outdoor. With last mojave update apple fixed the screen brightness issue and now its birthter and usable outdoor.

Do the last update and adjust brightness you will understand.

sevecc

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2018
Poland
Mba from the box is coming with 300nits brightness display which is not fine and dim when you are using it outdoor. With last mojave update apple fixed the screen brightness issue and now its birthter and usable outdoor.

Do the last update and adjust brightness you will understand.

Well, I'm running latest version of Mojave - 10.14.4 on my Air and it's perfectly fine for me :)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

Does it not depend on the photo editing? for example i've been leaning towards getting an Air (hopefully they fix the keyboard issues soon), i edit photos in Pixelmator Pro and edit the occasional video in iMovie.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Does it not depend on the photo editing? for example i've been leaning towards getting an Air (hopefully they fix the keyboard issues soon), i edit photos in Pixelmator Pro and edit the occasional video in iMovie.

I think as long as you are not doing photo / video editing on a professional scale , mba should be fine.

The keyboard is fine.

Honestly i do not have an intention to do so i cannot compare.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think as long as you are not doing photo / video editing on a professional scale , mba should be fine.

The keyboard is fine.

Honestly i do not have an intention to do so i cannot compare.

I'm not sure the keyboard is fine, there seems to be issues with reliability, at least that's what people on the forum are reporting. I'm hoping Apple issue a fix soon.

The Air seems to be the machine for me, portable, can handle everyday tasks and even some light photo editing in Pixelmator Pro. The only reason i have held off so far is because of the keyboard.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
I'm not sure the keyboard is fine, there seems to be issues with reliability, at least that's what people on the forum are reporting. I'm hoping Apple issue a fix soon.

The Air seems to be the machine for me, portable, can handle everyday tasks and even some light photo editing in Pixelmator Pro. The only reason i have held off so far is because of the keyboard.

I bought mba 10 days ago. So far i have not seen any problem.

Its 3rd gen. Same with 2018 touchbar macbook pro. Regular macbook pro and macbook are 2nd gen.

It is just sensitive and feels like you will need to give it good care.

Will be fine for light photo video work.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Will be fine for light photo video work.

Do you think it would be fine for Apple's Arcade game service when it launches later this year? if it's a good enough service, i'm looking at signing up. However i'm not sure what the specs will be for the games they release :confused:.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Do you think it would be fine for Apple's Arcade game service when it launches later this year? if it's a good enough service, i'm looking at signing up. However i'm not sure what the specs will be for the games they release :confused:.

These arcade games are from old generation. Most will be 2d games from previous eras, mba will be fine.

I dont think it can handle latest generation games.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
These arcade games are from old generation. Most will be 2d games from previous eras, mba will be fine.

I dont think it can handle latest generation games.

I don't play the latest games, the most i play at the moment is Tropico on my iPad Pro and Two Point Hospital on my 2012 iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.