Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Just ordered a MM i5 base configuration. I would’ve upgraded the SSD but the suppliers I bought it through didn’t have that option.

I’m happy though as I only paid £886.40 for it in the end, which essentially makes it the same price as the US, so no international Apple tax!

I’m currently using a 29” ultrawide and I plan to keep my MBP and iPad Pro for portable work. In time I’ll marry this MM with more ram, a TB3 hard drive and eGPU! But I’ve got to pay for Christmas and a couple of birthdays first...

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
My BTO arrived today. Currently plugged into a single 4K display, will be ordering a second display (same model) shortly. Very happy with this machine so far.

jnachbar

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
Picked up a Stock i5/8GB/256 at an apple store on Sunday. Showed them a screen shot of my waiting Adorama cart with the $100 discount and they gave me a 10% off match discount. Got a 1TB Samsung T5 for 199 at best buy and ordered 32 GB OWC memory kit. Plan to do a fresh install and start over....

Any thoughts on if I should format the T5 in APFS? I'll be putting all my photos and standard user folder stuff there so I want speed for the photos app and editing, etc.

Still sorting out if I should try to find a digital audio out solution, like the Schiit EITR or something. For now I'm turning my 2011 mini into a DLNA server since my preamp can grab the music files over ethernet and my assorted PS4/Xbox can stream video from it also over ethernet. I think I'll pull the SSD I put into it out to use as a clone for the new mini, then just a minimal admin account and a Twonky server should be good to let it run 24/7 and use share screen to manage. Anybody else ever try something like this?

Last edited:

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
After a lot of agonizing, and ordering and canceling Adorama’s $999 deal, I decided to just go ahead and get the i7 with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD (also from Adorama). I really didn’t like having to pay $700 more than the other deal, but I decided I didn’t want to try and upgrade the RAM myself, and found that I have enough stuff on my current internal drive (also 512GB) that it would be tricky to slim it down to fit on a 256GB. Plus I sort of had my heart set on the i7, and I want this machine to last a good long time. At least that’s how I’m justifying it to myself.

Reactions: gnsoria

MacNeal

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
I ordered an i5 with 16 GB RAM and a 512GB SSD from Apple. It's projected delivery date is next Monday, Dec. 3. I'm still trying to figure out whether it makes most sense to clone the boot drive HD in my 'old' mid-2010 mini and copy that over to the new mini or just try to start from scratch.

Biggest headache: how to move Adobe CS5.5 from the old drive onto the new one, with the hopes that I can get it to work with Mojave. OR should I just leave my old mini intact with CS5.5 installed there with High Sierra and rig up some way to switch between the two minis on my Dell monitor.

I don't trust my own tinkering powers (it was easier 20 years ago), which is why I went for a 512GB SSD and 16 GB RAM: I won't have to worry about immediately trying to up the RAM or configure external SSD.

More news as the mini arrives and I slog through figuring out how to use the TB3 and USB ports to their best advantage. Oh joy.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
The new mini wouldn’t run using a clone of your old mini’s disk would it? It requires Mojave. Have you considered the migration assistant?

MacNeal

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
The new mini wouldn’t run using a clone of your old mini’s disk would it? It requires Mojave. Have you considered the migration assistant?
I'm open to all suggestions. I've been scrambling around for the past two weeks trying to get the big picture from numerous threads and discussions, which is kind of like trying to build a Lego Empire State Building from random Lego pieces. Obviously, with the new mini coming with Mojave loaded, as well as the latest iWork programs, etc., I'll probably have to copy over (or re-install) a bunch of apps that I commonly use. If migration assistant can assist with that, all the better.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I would give Migration Assistant a shot anyway. Ideally use a Time Machine backup on an external disk rather than trying to connect the two minis together somehow.

gnsoria

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
How do you decide if it’s worth getting 10gbit

I'm certainly no expert, but the limited research I did before buying my Mini told me: If you have to ask, you probably don't need it.

It might be useful for future-proofing, but I believe it's mainly for people using the Mini as a server.
[doublepost=1543472717][/doublepost]Alright, adding in my "just got mine" post!

I got my Mini on Monday. It was supposed to be ready for pickup on Dec 3, but Christmas came early for me. So early that my monitor and keyboard hadn't arrived yet *facepalm* I still unboxed it, like a little kid haha The monitor (LG 29" UltraWide) and keyboard (Anker Ultra Compact Bluetooth) came in yesterday and I was able to get the Mini booted and running. Unfortunately, my plan to daisy-chain my FireWire 800 Time Machine drive through my USB 3 RAID device failed, so I had to wait until today to grab a USB 3.0 enclosure and copy my stuff over.

But now it's all copied over, all set up, and running beautifully!

I'm loving the huge screen (moving up from a 2010 15" MBP). Having been stuck in the age of FireWire with my old computer, I can't get over how fast Time Machine restored via USB 3.0. It was like when I first got FireWire and could cast aside my USB 2.0 stuff =P If anyone is curious, the Anker keyboard is pretty decent for $24 off Amazon. I bought it because I haven't been loving the direction Apple has gone with their keyboards, and it had a very similar layout to my MBP keyboard. The feel is a little hard, but I think I'll get used to it soon enough. It pairs with no problems and is very responsive.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Yesterday I ordered an i7 16GB 1TB from B&H. It's time to put my 2012 Mac Pro 3.46 out to pasture. I also ordered a matching space gray Magic Mouse 2. I've got a few Apple keyboards laying around but this time I think I'll finally get a real keyboard for my Mac. The next step is an empty Thunderbay 6 from OWC. I had a Thunderbay 4 with my 2012 mini and other than being noisy it worked really good.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I just got charged by Adorama for my mini (i7 with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD). I assume that means that it will actually be shipping soon, despite the email I got yesterday about it being on backorder.

MacNeal

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
I ordered an i5 with 16 GB RAM and a 512GB SSD from Apple. It's projected delivery date is next Monday, Dec. 3.
Well, it arrived today (Nov. 30), straight from China. Totally anonymous box, heh.

I plan to use Migration Assistant, as mightyjabba advised, and hope I can fine-tune using my TimeMachine backup so that I'm not copying High Sierra over to a Mojave machine. I shelled out for Applecare, so I suppose I can phone support in doing the migration.

I usually do stuff like this slowly and carefully, but I'm tempted to just try the new mini on my Dell monitor, hoping that the USB-C to VGA adaptor works and I can see what's on the new mini. However, even doing just that probably requires some registering and setting up, which might well muddle up the later migration.

sngx1275

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
Just got mine, ordered the i7, 512, with 8 gigs of RAM. Ordered 32 from Amazon to put in myself. Was all set to do that today and discovered that I in fact did NOT have the TR6 screwdriver... I'll have one Monday now :\. Anyway up and running and all is well. It is replacing my Early 2009 Mini and moving my PC to a 2nd class citizen in my house. The PC is still being utilized as a Plex Server, I have way too much data in and connected to the PC to screw with changing that situation up right now.

jean512

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017
Well, it arrived today (Nov. 30), straight from China. Totally anonymous box, heh.

I plan to use Migration Assistant, as mightyjabba advised, and hope I can fine-tune using my TimeMachine backup so that I'm not copying High Sierra over to a Mojave machine. I shelled out for Applecare, so I suppose I can phone support in doing the migration.

I usually do stuff like this slowly and carefully, but I'm tempted to just try the new mini on my Dell monitor, hoping that the USB-C to VGA adaptor works and I can see what's on the new mini. However, even doing just that probably requires some registering and setting up, which might well muddle up the later migration.

Just got mine, ordered the i7, 512, with 8 gigs of RAM. Ordered 32 from Amazon to put in myself. Was all set to do that today and discovered that I in fact did NOT have the TR6 screwdriver... I'll have one Monday now :\. Anyway up and running and all is well. It is replacing my Early 2009 Mini and moving my PC to a 2nd class citizen in my house. The PC is still being utilized as a Plex Server, I have way too much data in and connected to the PC to screw with changing that situation up right now.

any coil whine ?

Captain Fractal

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Hello everyone, first post here but long time lurker. I placed an order for a Mac Mini 2018 i5/16GB/256GB. I do work with Logic Pro X, photo editing with Lightroom and Pixelmator as well as plans for 4k video editing in the future. My last computer was a 2015 MBP 15 with similar specs but an i7.

I just wanted to note that Apples lineup in late 2018 is convoluted and the only reason I didn't settle for their MBPs was because I was getting sick of their quality control issues, didn't bond with the touchbar, etc. I did buy a 2018 MBP 13 but ended up returning it out of dislike. It's not a bad computer, but not exactly what I want at 2500 CAD.

Hopefully this computer buying saga ends with a happy ending and the Mac Mini. Tired of not-so-clear options for Apple as a prosumer. I'd like for this to last 3-4 years comfortably.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Hello everyone, first post here but long time lurker. I placed an order for a Mac Mini 2018 i5/16GB/256GB. I do work with Logic Pro X, photo editing with Lightroom and Pixelmator as well as plans for 4k video editing in the future. My last computer was a 2015 MBP 15 with similar specs but an i7.

I just wanted to note that Apples lineup in late 2018 is convoluted and the only reason I didn't settle for their MBPs was because I was getting sick of their quality control issues, didn't bond with the touchbar, etc. I did buy a 2018 MBP 13 but ended up returning it out of dislike. It's not a bad computer, but not exactly what I want at 2500 CAD.

Hopefully this computer buying saga ends with a happy ending and the Mac Mini. Tired of not-so-clear options for Apple as a prosumer. I'd like for this to last 3-4 years comfortably.

I’d be surprised if your machine doesn’t last for 3-4 years comfortably. I was in similar shoes to you.

I have a late 2014 15” MBP which I love, but it was time to upgrade for more headroom with 4K editing and Logic use. But I just couldn’t see any added benefit of a new MacBook Pro, which for almost £3k was DOUBLE what I paid for my old MBP in 2014.

This is for a machine where I’m frankly not convinced apple has got right. Third party vendors have tackled the MagSafe issue, and I still hate the built in keyboard.

The mini, (i5 onwards) in benchmarks is super powerful, and the TB3 opens up all sorts of possibilities for ‘modularity’ - graphics, peripherals, storage. Which to be honest, at the end of the day, helps me prevent giving apple more of my hard earned cash. I’m hoping this will be my last apple purchase for a while.

At the end of the day, if you need to run logic, and compile with Xcode you need a Mac. What you don’t need to do, is give apple a crazy sum of money for a gimped machine.

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
After a lot of agonizing, and ordering and canceling Adorama’s $999 deal, I decided to just go ahead and get the i7 with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD (also from Adorama). I really didn’t like having to pay $700 more than the other deal, but I decided I didn’t want to try and upgrade the RAM myself, and found that I have enough stuff on my current internal drive (also 512GB) that it would be tricky to slim it down to fit on a 256GB. Plus I sort of had my heart set on the i7, and I want this machine to last a good long time. At least that’s how I’m justifying it to myself.

I just ordered the same config. Really debated on i5 vs i7. The i7 is likely overkill, at least in the near future. But I tend to keep these things a long time and I just thought that in 3-4 years I might be wishing I'd opted for the i7. And I'd be surprised if I'd ever wish I'd opted for the i5. I do a lot of photo processing and it seems that a lot of that software is increasingly making use of multiple cores. Didn't really even consider a smaller ssd. I keep my main image library on spinners but I want to have working files on the main drive. Not really interested in micro-managing drive memory.

Moolani

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
Received and set up my new 2018 Mini: i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD. Replaced my tried and true 2012 Quad mini. Got two of my three old monitors hooked up and running, working on getting the third working (no HDMI inputs on the monitor so some issues getting a signal to it). Otherwise, no complaints so far (other than the cost which was a lot more than I paid for my 2012).

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Ordered an i7/8gb/512/10gbE Mini + 13" i5/16/512 Pro, after all the money i got left over from a refunded faulty i9!
will be getting 32gb ram I'll install myself
[doublepost=1544088981][/doublepost]
I just ordered the same config. Really debated on i5 vs i7. The i7 is likely overkill, at least in the near future. But I tend to keep these things a long time and I just thought that in 3-4 years I might be wishing I'd opted for the i7. And I'd be surprised if I'd ever wish I'd opted for the i5. I do a lot of photo processing and it seems that a lot of that software is increasingly making use of multiple cores. Didn't really even consider a smaller ssd. I keep my main image library on spinners but I want to have working files on the main drive. Not really interested in micro-managing drive memory.

Frankly, i5 has 6 cores 6 threads and i7 has 6 cores 12 threads.
I think that's the worthiest upgrade for CPU of all recent apple releases.

The 15" CPUs are pretty much the same, the i5/i7 of the 13" both have hyperthreading and minimal performance difference, while the i5 vs i7 of the mini really gives it a punch. well worth it

tenraek

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2018
Wooo Hoo! Hot dignity dog! After almost a year of planning on replacing my 2011 Mac Mini with an iMac but on the fence which locked in specs I’d go with, I just went with a new Mac Mini which B&H has for $75.00 off right now (was only $50.00 off earlier this week), combined with free shipping and that AZ is currently state they don’t yet collect sales tax in yet and I've saved about $150! Def a great deal and I can choose my new display and (e)GPU when I’m ready tells me it’s good I did go for the iMac.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I just ordered the i5 base model from Amazon. They price matched BB $999 and had $47.05 in a gift card so I saved around $150. I have until Jan 31 2019 to decide if I want to return it. I'll leave it unopened just in case I decide to return it. Now I need to price an external SSD.

Reactions: MrAperture

obyone

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
My BTO arrived today. Currently plugged into a single 4K display, will be ordering a second display (same model) shortly. Very happy with this machine so far.

How long did your BTO take from ordering to delivery, I just ordered an i7/16Gb/512Gb and it's giving me a delivery date of the 6th January. I do hope it arrives before then, could do with the break to get it up and running correctly.

I'm in the UK and I also ordered an iPad but this isn't on back order so cannot see that holding up the order for that long.

What monitor are you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.