Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
How long did your BTO take from ordering to delivery
About 8 days from memory.

Turns out it was 5 days. Ordered on 22/11, delivered on 27/11.
[doublepost=1544476070][/doublepost]
What monitor are you using?

2x Dell P2415Q - 4K @ 24". I posted a photo of the setup over in the "post your Mac mini setup" thread yesterday/earlier today (depending on your timezone)

Reactions: obyone

MacNeal

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
Well, it arrived today (Nov. 30), straight from China. Totally anonymous box, heh.

I plan to use Migration Assistant, as mightyjabba advised, and hope I can fine-tune using my TimeMachine backup so that I'm not copying High Sierra over to a Mojave machine. I shelled out for Applecare, so I suppose I can phone support in doing the migration.

I usually do stuff like this slowly and carefully, but I'm tempted to just try the new mini on my Dell monitor, hoping that the USB-C to VGA adaptor works and I can see what's on the new mini. However, even doing just that probably requires some registering and setting up, which might well muddle up the later migration.

I don't think I've done an update in this thread since the one above. Long story short: the migration went quite well, I've got the mini up and running, I've been able to hook up my external HDDs, there was no problem with the VGA to USB-C adaptor, and this little space gray i5 totally rocks.

Bootup is scary fast, and I've even been able to get my Adobe CS5.5 apps to work with Mojave. The fan is silent, and if there is coil whine, I'm not recognizing it as anything out of the ordinary. Yeah, I've had issues with Bluetooth, specifically with a Bluetooth mouse, but I had a wired mouse available and that's been serviceable.

So, all in all, I am happy. I do feel bad for those others who've encountered all sorts of problems. I must be one of the lucky ones.

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
I don't think I've done an update in this thread since the one above. Long story short: the migration went quite well, I've got the mini up and running, I've been able to hook up my external HDDs, there was no problem with the VGA to USB-C adaptor, and this little space gray i5 totally rocks.
VGA to USB-C for your monitor? Wow! If so, do your eyes a favor and get a monitor with a higher resolution digital input.

D

MacNeal

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
VGA to USB-C for your monitor? Wow! If so, do your eyes a favor and get a monitor with a higher resolution digital input.
I know, it probably sounds worse than it is. It's a Dell 19.5" D2015H HD flat panel Display (Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB graphics) that has served me well and still has some life in it. Having just shelled out some $1600+ on the mini, I'll put off upgrading the display for awhile still. I'm not a gamer and I rarely watch video on my mini, so it does the job. But, yeah, when I do replace it, I'll probably kick myself for not having done it sooner.

Reactions: boomspot

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon

Bootup is scary fast, and I've even been able to get my Adobe CS5.5 apps to work with Mojave. The fan is silent, and if there is coil whine, I'm not recognizing it as anything out of the ordinary. Yeah, I've had issues with Bluetooth, specifically with a Bluetooth mouse, but I had a wired mouse available and that's been serviceable.

So, all in all, I am happy. I do feel bad for those others who've encountered all sorts of problems. I must be one of the lucky ones.
I’m another lucky one. I got a really old logitech webcam to work with sound. I got eyetv to work (convert laser disks to mpg4). I also simply plugged in 2 external usb3 10 tb slow drives and they work just fine, even with time machine. I moved all my 30 plus years of digital hording from a PC to the new mac, easy peasy. I plugged the mac mini into my 40” 4k Samsung, it just worked. I love dark mode. Really, really love dark mode. With Mojave my bookmarks synced. On my husband’s El Cap machine they didn’t. I used the following precautions:

1. Use usb mouse/keyboard
2. Don’t restore a backup or load it up from time machine
3. Re-install apps (I didn’t have any)
4. Use a good, powered usb hub
5. Turn off sleep
6. If you use a keyboard/mouse switcher get one that works with mac well
7. I plugged my magic trackpad 2 into the usb hub and keep it plugged in even though it is bluetooth
8. Stay away from old, questionable apps

I love this thing. Wow.

Reactions: MacNeal and jdmc

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Well, after much back and forth and complaining about the Apple Tax, I decided to order a mini. I was using a PC, and while it runs very well and cost half as much, there are just some apps that I need for my workflow that are only available on macOS. It is an i7/512/16 slated to arrive the day after Christmas.

Reactions: raineysky

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Well, after much back and forth and complaining about the Apple Tax, I decided to order a mini. I was using a PC, and while it runs very well and cost half as much, there are just some apps that I need for my workflow that are only available on macOS. It is an i7/512/16 slated to arrive the day after Christmas.
Hopefully it arrives sooner so you can enjoy it through the holidays!

Reactions: Cashmonee

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I think worldwide shipping is beefed up this holiday season. You might get a surprise.

Curious as to what mac software you use that is only available in macOS. I use Filemaker, Final Cut, and the mail/contacts/calendar app which aren’t available or as good on the PC.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I think worldwide shipping is beefed up this holiday season. You might get a surprise.

Curious as to what mac software you use that is only available in macOS. I use Filemaker, Final Cut, and the mail/contacts/calendar app which aren’t available or as good on the PC.

The biggest are Fantastical and Things, plus Mail, Messages, and AirDrop. There are no real good replacements for any of these. If Fantastical and Things were available on Windows, I might have been able to make it work. The other thing is that my work computer is a MacBook Pro, so going back and forth was a pain. I often work on my home computer for the keyboard and monitor, and recalibrating each time I switched to the PC was a minor pain point.

In the end, it is just easier to stay with macOS, although I am nearing my limit on what I am willing to spend on the Apple Tax. If there are not specific apps that you cannot replace on Windows, then I would think we have reached the point where the better advice would be to switch.

Reactions: harriska2

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
In terms of general photography (using Photos) and some iMovie - would I see much difference between i5 and i7? Is it worth it aside from some future proofing?

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
In terms of general photography (using Photos) and some iMovie - would I see much difference between i5 and i7? Is it worth it aside from some future proofing?

I've owned both an i5 and an i7, and have used both with Lightroom and Final Cut, and I don't think that you will see any difference. I wound up with an i7, but not because I think that an i5 can't handle what you are talking about.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
The biggest are Fantastical and Things, plus Mail, Messages, and AirDrop. There are no real good replacements for any of these. If Fantastical and Things were available on Windows, I might have been able to make it work. The other thing is that my work computer is a MacBook Pro, so going back and forth was a pain. I often work on my home computer for the keyboard and monitor, and recalibrating each time I switched to the PC was a minor pain point.

In the end, it is just easier to stay with macOS, although I am nearing my limit on what I am willing to spend on the Apple Tax. If there are not specific apps that you cannot replace on Windows, then I would think we have reached the point where the better advice would be to switch.
I keep hearing about fantastical and things. I’ll have to try it if it isn’t subscription.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I keep hearing about fantastical and things. I’ll have to try it if it isn’t subscription.
Not subscription, but also not cheap. Things is I think $10 on iPhone, $20 on iPad, and $50 on desktop, but for me it is worth it. It has a great snapshot of your day and also allows you to schedule to do's and then make projects for larger things. It is really pretty awesome. Fantastical is less expensive than Things, but still pricey. I could probably live without it, but I really like the interface. Both have desktop trials.

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
today I just received my Mac mini 2018 with an intel i7 3.2Ghz 6-cores/12-threads, 16Gb DDR4 and 1 TB SSD, and for sure intelHD 630, but for the powerful GPU I also already have an eGPU using Akitio Node upgraded using Enermax SFX 650watt PSU and AMD RX VEGA64.
My Samsung 34 curved monitor connected directly to the eGPU
everything went very smooth.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
today I just received my Mac mini 2018 with an intel i7 3.2Ghz 6-cores/12-threads, 16Gb DDR4 and 1 TB SSD, and for sure intelHD 630, but for the powerful GPU I also already have an eGPU using Akitio Node upgraded using Enermax SFX 650watt PSU and AMD RX VEGA64.
My Samsung 34 curved monitor connected directly to the eGPU
everything went very smooth.
Could you comment on how the mini does with your Samsung without the eGPU? What resolution is your monitor?

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Received and set up my new 2018 Mini: i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD. Replaced my tried and true 2012 Quad mini. Got two of my three old monitors hooked up and running, working on getting the third working (no HDMI inputs on the monitor so some issues getting a signal to it). Otherwise, no complaints so far (other than the cost which was a lot more than I paid for my 2012).
Which version of the 2012 QC mini did you have? How would you say the speed generally compares between the two?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
2018 i5 mini should be here today. Hopefully a smooth transition from my 2014. Need to figure out how best to transfer my Homebridge setup without making myself crazy!

Reactions: harriska2

NaimNut

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto
Christmas Eve day I ordered a MM/i5/16/256 with a LG4KUltraFine monitor.

I’m coming from an early 2009 iMac.
Monitor is ready for pickup but the MM has a delivery date of January 9th.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Christmas Eve day I ordered a MM/i5/16/256 with a LG4KUltraFine monitor.

I’m coming from an early 2009 iMac.
Monitor is ready for pickup but the MM has a delivery date of January 9th.
Hopefully it will come earlier than the estimate. Mine certainly did - 5 days vs predicted 8-14.

Reactions: NaimNut

NaimNut

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto

I purchased both and have a subscription to MSOffice365 Family (for storage/email/kids university). IMO MacOs native apps work great and nothing else is needed for home use. I no longer use Things3 or Fantastical 2. Professionally, I use G-Suite(company provided) and again no 3rd party software for Scheduling/Task/Email is required.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Have had my finger on the order button several times... keep reading mixed reviews of the machine (especially without an eGPU) and can’t pull the trigger yet. Considering i5/512SDD/8G (update ram later)

Plus I still don’t know what monitor to buy...or do I stick it out for the iMac which I did all year (Thanks for nothing Tim!) I’m so indecisive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.