Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTBing

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
Got a 2018 15” Pro to try out but wasn’t happy with how hot it got under normal usage. So, I decided to stick with my 2015 12” MB for portable use and save quite a bit of money by getting a Mini for my more intensive purposes.

Bought one of the last refurbs — i5/8/256 for barely over 900! Pick it up tomorrow, and return the 15” at the same time. Can’t wait! Already had a 16 gob RAM kit to stick in it, although I hope to upgrade more soon.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I took receipt of an i7/16GB/512GB SSD/10GbE refurb last Friday. So far so good..

I restored from a Mac Pro Time Machine backup for the boot drive, then did some overdue cleaning so I’d have around 100GB free. I added an external 1TB SSD (960 EVO) via USB-C and will soon hook it to a WD MyBook Pro via TB3 to 2 adapter. I have a pair of WD 4TB enterprise spinners in there now, but may go larger.

Will ponder an eGPU but probably set for now.

HuskerHarley

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln
I just ordered i7 500GB 16 ram from the edu store. Shows delivery 19th.

Update: I ordered Saturday and received it 6 days later on Friday the 15th. Not sure if the extra $8 shipping express helped but I am glad it showed up today.

What is edu Store? Do they add tax & shipping?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
What is edu Store? Do they add tax & shipping?

Yes they add tax and standard shipping is free. I paid $8 for express shipping or what ever they called it. But I received it in 6 days from order, not sure if the $8 had anything to do with it.

Edu store is https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop They are discounted a little bit for stock and upgrades.

For my machine it was $1589 vs $1699 before taxes, Not much but enough to consider.

i7/16GB/500SSD

HuskerHarley

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln
Yes they add tax and standard shipping is free. I paid $8 for express shipping or what ever they called it. But I received it in 6 days from order, not sure if the $8 had anything to do with it.

Edu store is https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop They are discounted a little bit for stock and upgrades.

For my machine it was $1589 vs $1699 before taxes, Not much but enough to consider.

i7/16GB/500SSD
Thank-U!

Wig321

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2018
I7 16gb ram 512gb ssd. 9 days from ordering until I can collect from store.
Decided against 8gb ram and installing 32gb myself. I’ll probably only require 32gb in a few years.

Reactions: raineysky

HuskerHarley

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
Lincoln
Sorry, Grand-Kids!...PaPa-H just spent some more of yer inheritance, again!

Purchased our 1st Apple Home Computer. We do have iPads (Mainly to play games on) & iPhones but this is a huge leap, switching from windows (Wishing myself Good-Luck!) to ____!

Refurb: i7-16GB-1TB

Still, need a monitor. So many options, opinions, and recommendations...I'm from the crayon age and don't really understand all the technical stuff! I've given up several times because my mind starts feeling like a 3-Ring Circus. Trying to solve/decide which one to purchase is starting to bother me. The Mini was easy, well, after reading a ton of threads here but this Monitor thing is a nightmare.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Sorry, Grand-Kids!...PaPa-H just spent some more of yer inheritance, again!

Purchased our 1st Apple Home Computer. We do have iPads (Mainly to play games on) & iPhones but this is a huge leap, switching from windows (Wishing myself Good-Luck!) to ____!

Refurb: i7-16GB-1TB

Still, need a monitor. So many options, opinions, and recommendations...I'm from the crayon age and don't really understand all the technical stuff! I've given up several times because my mind starts feeling like a 3-Ring Circus. Trying to solve/decide which one to purchase is starting to bother me. The Mini was easy, well, after reading a ton of threads here but this Monitor thing is a nightmare.
Sometimes, reading too much on MacRumors can bring more questions and complexity where it doesn't need to be.

JaxGator3

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
My fully loaded refurb arrived yesterday. Haven’t put it through the paces fully, yet, but I’m already enjoying noticeably better performance in all apps when compared to my 2013 air. No surprises there.

With limited desk space, I wanted max internal storage to save physical space. I’ve also had issues with my Samsung T5 1TB constantly being ejected from my Air between sleep and wake causing issues with Photos. I’ve seen similar issues with the new minis so relieved now to only have one external drive for time machine backups.

Reactions: raineysky

MFDoom

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
I have an i7/16GB Ram/512gb on its way. I’ll be paring it up with my LG 5k monitor. Super excited to be replacing my 2010 Mac Pro

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Just got a Best Buy open boxed i5/256 for $900. Love it so far. I am on a budget and was looking at used iMacs (that I would run with the 2 external monitors I use today) when I saw this and grabbed it.

Waaaay faster than the iMacs I was looking at. Already plotting my next move of getting an eGPU but this is a major upgrade over my 2014 mac mini.

ejket

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Canada
I ordered a new i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD Mini from the Apple store, and it's likely to arrive in a couple of days. That's a good configuration for me, because I need 4/8 CPUs and 8/16GB RAM for a smooth Linux VM. I use macOS mainly for Scrivener, but I'm a Linux guy for day to day.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I was thrilled to take position of a new 2018 Mini. I just went for the stock I3 with 8 GB of ram and 128GB hard drive. It's a sweet upgrade from my 2010 mini. Nice and fast for my needs (mostly as a media server). I have a couple of external drives totaling 7TB. I also got the wireless trackpad 2 and the wireless keyboard with the numeric keys. One of the best keyboards I've ever owned. Set up was pretty much a breeze and it's busy serving music and video to my family with ITunes and Plex. Very nice machine. No noise, no notable heat, no issues.

Last edited:

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Either Apple just removed a bunch of refurbs or someone went on a spending spree - barely anything left and the one I had in my shopping bag (was debating which monitor to get) is suddenly gone and no longer available.

Must be a sign to wait this year for a new iMac

atokads

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Either Apple just removed a bunch of refurbs or someone went on a spending spree - barely anything left and the one I had in my shopping bag (was debating which monitor to get) is suddenly gone and no longer available.

Must be a sign to wait this year for a new iMac

They move in and out of stock fairly quickly, especially the beefier configs. Rarely do they stay more than 24 hours.

Been thinking about picking one up myself and I've been using the Refurb Tracker to keep on top of it.

You've pretty much gotta decide what's acceptable and pull the trigger when it shows up or it will be g-o-n-e.

Trips

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
ATL, GA
Wow you guys are killin it with the refurbs!! I didn't realize this was a "thing". Maybe someone can school me on the rationale behind getting a refurb rather than new, other than cost? What about concerns regarding why they were refurbs in the first place?

Just took delivery of mine. My biz partner and I both ordered at the same time, through his account through the Gov/Military purchase pgm. i7 3.2ghz 6 core, 8gb ram, 1TB SSD units were $1785 new. We DIY'd the ram, 32GB kit for $199.

Ordering was a bit of a nightmare since apple charges everything on the order separate. Each order had the mini, Applecare, and a TB2/TB3 adapter, plus upgraded shipping, over two orders since they needed to ship to different parts of the country. So 8 charges hit at once. Bank flagged it as fraud. Called bank, cleared charges. Yet somehow Apple wound up charging for mini #1 twice, and wouldn't release the authorization, so it arrived from China to Cali before Mini #2 even shipped!! 7 times we called Apple, each time we were promised it would be taken care, we had nothing to worry about, this isn't common, etc, etc. It wasn't, we did, it does apparently. When I finally got it, it stopped booting after 15min of use. Erased, reinstalled Mojave, and working now, so I guess "all is well that ends well." But that was with a NEW Mini. I feel like I'd really be asking for it with a refurb! :)

purduealum91

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
They move in and out of stock fairly quickly, especially the beefier configs. Rarely do they stay more than 24 hours.

Been thinking about picking one up myself and I've been using the Refurb Tracker to keep on top of it.

You've pretty much gotta decide what's acceptable and pull the trigger when it shows up or it will be g-o-n-e.

Hello,

Please elaborate on the refurb tracker. Where may I find it?

Thanks,

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.