Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atokads

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Hello,

Please elaborate on the refurb tracker. Where may I find it?

Thanks,

Tom

It’s @ refurb-tracker.com.

You can set up an alert for a given model and optionally give it a string to search for in the product description.

I’ve noticed the website seems to be more up to date than the App Store app as well (i.e., models will show up on the website that can’t be found through the app - not sure if that is just a caching issue or something else is at play).

purduealum91

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
It’s @ refurb-tracker.com.

You can set up an alert for a given model and optionally give it a string to search for in the product description.

I’ve noticed the website seems to be more up to date than the App Store app as well (i.e., models will show up on the website that can’t be found through the app - not sure if that is just a caching issue or something else is at play).

Thanks for the link. How do I see how many units are in stock of a particular config?
[doublepost=1553433116][/doublepost]Also, what is the difference between these 2 cofigs besides the price?

upload_2019-3-24_9-11-53.png

atokads

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2018
Thanks for the link. How do I see how many units are in stock of a particular config?
[doublepost=1553433116][/doublepost]Also, what is the difference between these 2 cofigs besides the price?

View attachment 828028

You can’t see units in stock. You can just see if they have sufficient stock to take an order.

You can always click the link to see the differences but I’d guess the more expensive one has the 10 GB Ethernet.

MacMiniUpgrader

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
mi
Wow you guys are killin it with the refurbs!! I didn't realize this was a "thing". Maybe someone can school me on the rationale behind getting a refurb rather than new, other than cost? What about concerns regarding why they were refurbs in the first place?

Just took delivery of mine. My biz partner and I both ordered at the same time, through his account through the Gov/Military purchase pgm. i7 3.2ghz 6 core, 8gb ram, 1TB SSD units were $1785 new. We DIY'd the ram, 32GB kit for $199.

Ordering was a bit of a nightmare since apple charges everything on the order separate. Each order had the mini, Applecare, and a TB2/TB3 adapter, plus upgraded shipping, over two orders since they needed to ship to different parts of the country. So 8 charges hit at once. Bank flagged it as fraud. Called bank, cleared charges. Yet somehow Apple wound up charging for mini #1 twice, and wouldn't release the authorization, so it arrived from China to Cali before Mini #2 even shipped!! 7 times we called Apple, each time we were promised it would be taken care, we had nothing to worry about, this isn't common, etc, etc. It wasn't, we did, it does apparently. When I finally got it, it stopped booting after 15min of use. Erased, reinstalled Mojave, and working now, so I guess "all is well that ends well." But that was with a NEW Mini. I feel like I'd really be asking for it with a refurb! :)
mine took 4 days from order to door. not upset at all, refurbs are 48 hour or less since they are in stock when u see them in the refurb store!

Trips

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
ATL, GA
mi
mine took 4 days from order to door. not upset at all, refurbs are 48 hour or less since they are in stock when u see them in the refurb store!
Ours (we ordered two at once) took 6 and 8 days. But we ordered on a Friday night and had to suffer the weekend.
So technically 4&6 days I suppose. Although once they shipped from China, it was like 36-48 hours on each. Super fast considering the origin/destination!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

View attachment 828028
GMW23LL/A has the optional 10 Gigabit Ethernet port. Unless you're transferring files on a server or something like that I wouldn't spend the extra $90

Reactions: LCC0256

heppers

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2019
Hi all,

I've got a 2014 Mac Mini (i5-4260) with 4GB ram and a 500GB HDD.

I've never been that impressed with it, especially when I found out the ram was soldered in.

I've got a spare bit of cash at the moment and I could sell it on and get a used 2012 Mac Mini (i7-3720) with 16GB ram and a 250GB SSD.

That would be a net cost to me of about £300 (about $400).

OR I could get a 2018 i3-8100 with 8GB ram and a 128GB SSD. That would have a net cost to me of about £500 ($650).

Hard drive size isn't a big deal as a most of my stuff is on clouds.

I've compared benchmarks and the 2018 machine comes out better than the 2012 but not much better.

I'm drawn to the 2012 on cost but to the 2018 on future proofing because I can put 64GB ram in if I want.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Unless you really can't spare the $250, I'd definitely advise the 2018. It's likely to be supported (i.e. getting OS and security updates) for at least 5 years and potentially longer (my 2011 MBP just missed out on Mojave).

A 2012 machine is right on the cusp of "unsupported" already, and is almost certainly going to be in the list of machines dropped in the next change to "hardware requirements" for macOS.

Reactions: Miat

mattwestside

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Unless you really can't spare the $250, I'd definitely advise the 2018. It's likely to be supported (i.e. getting OS and security updates) for at least 5 years and potentially longer (my 2011 MBP just missed out on Mojave).

A 2012 machine is right on the cusp of "unsupported" already, and is almost certainly going to be in the list of machines dropped in the next change to "hardware requirements" for macOS.

^That is sound reasoning. The 2012 also lacks things like Thunderbolt 2 or 4K support which almost makes it not even worth considering.

However, a potential wild card is the psychological trickery that happens when you're faced with the decision of having the fastest version of something old, or the slowest version of something new. There's a unquantifiable level of satisfaction in a purchase knowing you got the "best" of a generation, even if it's not as good as the current-gen. You may not be wired like me, but if I were looking at an i3 Mac Mini I would make up a thousand reasons in my head to justify getting the i5, and then I'd buy the i7 ;)

Reactions: D.T.

bgalakazam

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Germany
Ordered a Mac Mini :) with the i7. Probably will upgrade the RAM down the line, for my current uses 8GB will be fine at this time. Once I fully replace my old desktop and sell the parts I'll fund the RAM. Can't wait to get the thing. Too bad Apple doesn't ship APO directly and the base exchange shop only had i3 and i5.

Gen4ig

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
Poland
Hello, one question: I planning upgrade ram in my Mac mini 2018 with 8GB model, but at first I buy one ram HyperX Impact 16GB C15 2666 MHz. Is it problem if I mix 16GB with 4G (1 of old ram) ??? I will be have 20 GB together? Later I will buy else one more 16 GB. What you think this is bad idea ??? Thanks

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Ordered a Mac Mini :) with the i7. Probably will upgrade the RAM down the line, for my current uses 8GB will be fine at this time. Once I fully replace my old desktop and sell the parts I'll fund the RAM. Can't wait to get the thing. Too bad Apple doesn't ship APO directly and the base exchange shop only had i3 and i5.
It's probably because Apple doesn't want to risk losing computers in the APO system. I ordered a Dell and the first one disappeared so they had to send a second. I'm sure someone working at the APO enjoyed their free laptop. The Apple store here only had the i3 and i5 so I'm guessing those are the two standard options and probably the most popular. Hopefully whoever ships your mini removes any Apple shipping labels from the outside of the box before sending it to you.
[doublepost=1555365992][/doublepost]
Hello, one question: I planning upgrade ram in my Mac mini 2018 with 8GB model, but at first I buy one ram HyperX Impact 16GB C15 2666 MHz. Is it problem if I mix 16GB with 4G (1 of old ram) ??? I will be have 20 GB together? Later I will buy else one more 16 GB. What you think this is bad idea ??? Thanks
Bad idea IMO. Just use it with what it comes with till you can afford a matching 8 GB (8 x 2 GB should be enough for most people) or 16 GB pair. Not only will dual channel not work as Stephen said but you'll be taking it apart twice thus doubling your chances to damage something internally. If you've taken a few laptops apart it shouldn't be an issue but don't think the mini is anything like taking apart a desktop. It made me nervous and I've replaced laptop motherboards a few times.

Jackorias

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2013
Yorkshire
I've just bought a pre-owned mid-2011 model from eBay. Planning to use it as a Plex server to replace my rPi3. Bid included the Apple Magic Mouse 2 and one of the old, really cool wired Apple keyboards. Pretty excited for it to come, especially after paying what I think was a steal!

Reactions: raineysky

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
So, after much deliberation, I now own the Mac Mini w/Core i5, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

Will do me for a few years; all I can say is "wow!" Silent in operation and I can't get over how fast this thing is.

Reactions: macdragonfl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.