Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
They've come a long way since the MDD days, that's for sure

That said I have a loaded up Lacie 8Big so any sound saving from the machine itself is wasted on the stupid HDD array...

Heh, yeah, that's another problem I'll someday resolve... along with the Spotlight delay when a spinning device is connected. Right now, I've poorly resolved it by just not having an adequate storage system.

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Also i'm looking at these two cards, has anyone have or tried them in their Mac Pro?
1) XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB Black Edition GDDR5

2) MSI RX 580 4gb Gaming Video Card

The XFX series of cards don’t work in a Mac Pro. That 580 is a cut down version of the 580. Your best bet is to stick with the recommendations tat Apple gives.

I have the MSI 560 that Apple recommends and it works right out of the box.

joro1997

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2019
hello guys so i think to buy a 1.1 mac pro from 2006 and the latest mac os is 10.7 you any auggestion for a good use you think is good for a use in 2019 ??? i need microsoft office youtube and a aimple thinhs like that ?

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
hello guys so i think to buy a 1.1 mac pro from 2006 and the latest mac os is 10.7 you any auggestion for a good use you think is good for a use in 2019 ??? i need microsoft office youtube and a aimple thinhs like that ?

Sure, if you like something that uses heaps of power to give you half the performance of a budget entry level modern day laptop

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Sure, if you like something that uses heaps of power to give you half the performance of a budget entry level modern day laptop

Or they can replace those power hungry Woodcrests with a pair of low power quad core Clovertowns (50 watt TPD) for about 10 dollars, max ram out (32Gb for about $25) and use it for just about anything.

I am converting my 1,1 to a media server - A GT 740 (can drive a 4K panel), a blu-ray player in the upper optical drive, 4x4TB drives to hold my iTunes library.

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2014
seems like a lot of effort just to make less power than the cheapest intel NUC you can buy.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5345-vs-Intel-Celeron-N4100/m10151vsm407836
While you're right... the intel NUC doesn't look as cool. ;)
[doublepost=1548083151][/doublepost]Also there's something fun about tinkering with one of these machines purely as a hobby...
[doublepost=1548083290][/doublepost]Speaking of, just finally got around to upgrading my 1,1 to El Capitan as well as Windows 10 x64! Works like a charm. :)

Alaska_guy

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2018
Upgraded my 4,1 to the X5675 processor due to the lower TDP and then replaced the 2gb chips for a total of 6gb of ram with 4 8gb sticks for a total of 32gb. The machine scores lower in Geekbench now... I imagine this is because I have all 4 memory slots populated. If I had 3 sticks it would be higher. Basically 3000 single core and 14k multi core.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Upgraded my 4,1 to the X5675 processor due to the lower TDP and then replaced the 2gb chips for a total of 6gb of ram with 4 8gb sticks for a total of 32gb. The machine scores lower in Geekbench now... I imagine this is because I have all 4 memory slots populated. If I had 3 sticks it would be higher. Basically 3000 single core and 14k multi core.

More than likely. Did you test it again with just 3 sticks to see if the score raised?

Alaska_guy

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2018
Yes, removed one stick and the score was exactly the same. Weird how I scored higher with 6gb of 1066mhz memory than 32gb 1333mhz memory.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, removed one stick and the score was exactly the same. Weird how I scored higher with 6gb of 1066mhz memory than 32gb 1333mhz memory.

Nothing wrong. GB doesn't need more than 6GB RAM, 32GB won't do better.

Even that's 1333 RAM, but run at CL9. 1066 RAM will run at CL7, the actual speed difference is just about 3%.

But optimised for Triple channel can have very large effect on benchmarks when intentionally disable cache but purely measuring the max possible bandwidth.

So, 3x2GB will works better than 4x8GB in GB.

Once again, we know that's just an artificial benchmark. Not necessary can reflect the real world performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: kohlson

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
Hi, I have some questions about my 4,1 > 5,1 Mac pro I recently bought, mainly about temps, but have other questions. CPU is a w5590, single. I dualboot mojave and windows 7, windows generally has higher temps for idle (macOS low 40's, windows low 50's) but under load they're similar. My PSU though is generally around the high 30's early in the day and up to the low-mid 40's later in the day (idle). Is that normal? My ambient is usually around 30-33 most of the time.

2nd question; What's the risk of upgrading to windows 10? I've read mixed results on the forum with the general consensus that it's safer to stick to Win7.

3rd question; The PSU makes a very quiet buzz/humm when plugged in (in sleep, or powered off completely) is that just coil whine or should I be concerned? It also occasionally makes a slightly louder buzz for a couple minutes but doesn't happen often. Haven't had any other issues with it aside from that noise and the temperatures.

Linked a screenshot of my fan settings (at idle); exhaust/intake/boost are set to cpu A diode start at 55, max at 90. fan curve seems to work fine with keeping them under 80 under 100% load. Stock curve, it maxes at 90 under macOS and 100 on windows which makes me uncomfortable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 1.20.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 1.20.35 AM.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 184

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'd love to have your power supply temps.
My MacPro 3,1 power supply hovers around 60, and has for the 3 years I've had it.
So far it hasn't caused me any problems:)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi, I have some questions about my 4,1 > 5,1 Mac pro I recently bought, mainly about temps, but have other questions. CPU is a w5590, single. I dualboot mojave and windows 7, windows generally has higher temps for idle (macOS low 40's, windows low 50's) but under load they're similar. My PSU though is generally around the high 30's early in the day and up to the low-mid 40's later in the day (idle). Is that normal? My ambient is usually around 30-33 most of the time.

2nd question; What's the risk of upgrading to windows 10? I've read mixed results on the forum with the general consensus that it's safer to stick to Win7.

3rd question; The PSU makes a very quiet buzz/humm when plugged in (in sleep, or powered off completely) is that just coil whine or should I be concerned? It also occasionally makes a slightly louder buzz for a couple minutes but doesn't happen often. Haven't had any other issues with it aside from that noise and the temperatures.

Linked a screenshot of my fan settings (at idle); exhaust/intake/boost are set to cpu A diode start at 55, max at 90. fan curve seems to work fine with keeping them under 80 under 100% load. Stock curve, it maxes at 90 under macOS and 100 on windows which makes me uncomfortable.

For 33C system ambient, low 40C is good PSU temperature.

I am happy with win10 on my cMP. That's all I can say, but I only use it for gaming, video encoding (FFMpeg), and flashing GPU.

Sounds like just coil whine, AFAIK, this is quite normal especially if the input is 220V.

Your personal fan profile sounds good to me.

MVMNT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Finally joined the club.

Picked up a 4,1 > 5,1 with an x5677 upgrade, 32GB, GTX 680 2GB, 250Gb SSD +3 spinners. Will definitely fit the current use need for it, and already got my eyes on a dual CPU upgrade. If I can get a cheap tray, i'll pick up another x5677 and delid them both.

jseeley

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2019
Joining you crazy bunch of guys; I recently ordered a Mac Pro 4.1, 8-core 2.23Ghz system for $430. I see some of you guys have gotten some crazy deals on these things, but I'm fairly happy with the cost. I don't have the system yet, in transit now, but I plan on flashing to 5.1, upgrading to Mojave, doing an NVMe boot drive and adding a usb3 card. Thinking of an Nvidia GT 640 as the cheapest option to boot Mojave. I think the system has 16GB or ram which should be fine for me for now unless there is a good source for cheap ram for these things. I'll probably keep the existing CPU's for a bit, but it seems fairly inexpensive to go with the x5670's or x5675's so very tempting.

Any other recommendations for upgrades/mods?

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Joining you crazy bunch of guys; I recently ordered a Mac Pro 4.1, 8-core 2.23Ghz system for $430. I see some of you guys have gotten some crazy deals on these things, but I'm fairly happy with the cost. I don't have the system yet, in transit now, but I plan on flashing to 5.1, upgrading to Mojave, doing an NVMe boot drive and adding a usb3 card. Thinking of an Nvidia GT 640 as the cheapest option to boot Mojave. I think the system has 16GB or ram which should be fine for me for now unless there is a good source for cheap ram for these things. I'll probably keep the existing CPU's for a bit, but it seems fairly inexpensive to go with the x5670's or x5675's so very tempting.

Well, you haven't told us what you want to do with yours, that would help.

CPUs: I went from 8 cores @ 2.24 to 12 cores @2.93. I do a lot of 3D rendering and the difference was very, very noticeable.

Ram: I would recommend more ram. My philosophy is:

Are all of your slots filled with 16Gb sticks? If no, then you don't have enough ram.
I pick up cheap 16Gb ram sticks off ebay. I paid about $30 per stick.

Video card: You can get a GT 740 w/4Gb of Vram off ebay for around $45. I am more of a Team Red guy, so I have a RX560 I picked up for $100.

I added a Blu-Ray player for $50 and another $50 for the software so I can watch my Blu-Rays whenever I choose.

USB Card: I added one to my system (see sig).

E-Sata card: My external backups are on a OWX Qx2 Mercury drive. I added an E-Sata card so I could back up at a reasonable pace.

Boot Drive: I am still running a Apricorn duo I got a number of years ago. It has 2 250 OWC SSDs in a Raid-0. I have looked at NVMe, but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

Future plans:

1. Replace all of my 2Tbs with 4Tbs.

2. If Apple screws up the next Mac Pro, I'll start shopping for a Rzyen system. I need horsepower, not fashion.

jseeley

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2019
Well, you haven't told us what you want to do with yours, that would help.

plex (and ftp) server; upgrading from an early 2009 mac mini core2duo 2.0Ghz with 2gb of ram. The current mini has a slew of external usb3 hard drives (running usb2 of course) in varying sizes from 1TB-8TB. The plan is to consolidate most of those internally inside the macpro (probably with new 10TB drives as prices get better)

I'm sure I'll find some more uses for the machine with all the extra processing power though. Thanks for all the hardware suggestions!

plans->
4.1->5.1 flash
Mojave
Lycom DT-120 PCI-E M.2 /w Crucial mx500 500gb M.2 (for boot)
Inateck PCI-E USB 3.0 (shared bandwidth, but it's cheap)
Nvidia GT 640
CPU's TBD
RAM TBD

MVMNT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010

Don't forget. you'll have to delid the CPUs on a 4,1 tray. Worth a google and searching on here for the process, and buying some cheap chips first to practice on.

jseeley

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2019
Don't forget. you'll have to delid the CPUs on a 4,1 tray. Worth a google and searching on here for the process, and buying some cheap chips first to practice on.

Yeah, that seems a little unnerving to do; I've seen the razor blade/heat method and the vice method. I've also seen some little devices you can buy on ebay to do it that seem pretty much like the vice method. What have people had the most success with on here?

MVMNT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, that seems a little unnerving to do; I've seen the razor blade/heat method and the vice method. I've also seen some little devices you can buy on ebay to do it that seem pretty much like the vice method. What have people had the most success with on here?

I've seen a razor blade method done well with the lid resting in a cardboard cutout and heat then applied to the cpu from below. Gravity then does its job to drop the lid leaving he cpu on top of the cardboard.

The delidding tools definitely work with chips that aren't soldered. I can't speak for the soldered Xeons though, but can imagine they just need a lot more pressure?

As I say, worth searching the forums for CPU delidding/delids.

Nard_S

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2019
Hi,

New to forum but not to Macs. Picked up a 2012 MP 3.06x2/64g/512SD/2TB BTO unit this week.Looking forward to getting up and in place once a new Dell monitor arrives. Will go slowly navigating from El Capitan/Win 7 to Mojave/Win 10. Find some the input here incredibly helpful. Care little that I spent money on old tech, it's plenty for my needs and look forward to delving into things. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.