Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nard_S

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2019
Coupled MP w/ new Dell UP monitor. Had a hard time getting connection right. Needs mDp to mDp and find that if you hold input selection on monitor (8 sec) you can format it to run at Dp1.1 (which is output of stock card) instead of the dp1.2 that is default. Going mdp to HDMI is a no go and have come across lots of complaints on web about intermingling Dell monitors and older Macs. It 's all working now and the monitor is nice.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Received my MacPro 4,1 yesterday, and I just had to show what a good job of packing the eBay seller did.
Every edge and corner of the box was reinforced with angle thingies and the computer inside was totally encapsulated in very thick bubble wrap.
Needless to say even UPS couldn't damage this package.:p
Did all the flashing etc last night and now have my 5,1 running Mojave.:)

photo 3.JPG photo 2.JPG photo.JPG

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
Updated question to my post in here a couple weeks ago, I'm still not sure what fan settings I should be using to keep the system ambient below 35c ( I live in a hot climate ). The CPU temps are more than fine, but keeping ambient low has been more of an issue. PSU is fine as well.

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
I wouldn't worry about ambient temps.
If Northbridge, PSU and HDD temps are ok, then just use it as it is.

Edit: Just saw your post on previous page. All looks good. Personally, in ideal world i'd like to have PSU below 40, but after owning 3 cMP 4,1s and one 1,1 i know that with some units it's just not possible.

Once again, all looks more than good. Enjoy!!!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Updated question to my post in here a couple weeks ago, I'm still not sure what fan settings I should be using to keep the system ambient below 35c ( I live in a hot climate ). The CPU temps are more than fine, but keeping ambient low has been more of an issue. PSU is fine as well.
Thermodynamically, you can’t passively change the system ambient temperature below your real ambient temperature, it will always be some degrees over your current ambient temperature

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
Thermodynamically, you can’t passively change the system ambient temperature below your real ambient temperature, it will always be some degrees over your current ambient temperature
My room temp sits around 25c and the listed max ambient temp for the mac pro is 35c, which it hits almost always after running for a little while which is why I'm concerned.. I'm fine with moderately loud fan settings I just want to figure out a safe fan setup to stick with through summer where it'll likely reach closer to 30c room temp

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
My room temp sits around 25c and the listed max ambient temp for the mac pro is 35c, which it hits almost always after running for a little while which is why I'm concerned.. I'm fine with moderately loud fan settings I just want to figure out a safe fan setup to stick with through summer where it'll likely reach closer to 30c room temp
You shouldn’t worry with 35°C, here most of the year we have over 41°C.

Only worry with your HDDs temperature, don’t let it get over 50°C and SSDs over 60°C.

Reactions: UnMix

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
You shouldn’t worry with 35°C, here most of the year we have over 41°C.

Only worry with your HDDs temperature, don’t let it get over 50°C and SSDs over 60°C.
My HDD/SSD's never really get higher than 35 so that's fine. What's the reasoning behind apple quoting the ambient temps to be 'max' at 35c? If everything else is fine temperature wise. Also my CPU isn't northbridge, it's a w5590 (nehalem) incase that matters in any of this

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
My HDD/SSD's never really get higher than 35 so that's fine. What's the reasoning behind apple quoting the ambient temps to be 'max' at 35c? If everything else is fine temperature wise. Also my CPU isn't northbridge, it's a w5590 (nehalem) incase that matters in any of this
Where you saw Apple specifying 35°C? Every country near Equator stays over 35°C most of the year.

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
Where you saw Apple specifying 35°C? Every country near Equator stays over 35°C most of the year.
Under the 2009 tech specs on apple's page it refers to the max operating temperature to be 35c

Last edited:

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Reactions: h9826790 and UnMix

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Was replying that it isn't Northbridge
I figured that, but i was saying that those three temperatures are the only ones that you need to worry about. The others are very rarely above normal readings.

CPU t˚ is relevant if you're swapping, upgrading and changing thermal paste. After that, CPU temp is "set and forget".
IOH Diode (northbridge) is the one, next to HDDs and PSU, that i would pay attention to, but since you have single CPU model, id shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: UnMix

HunPro

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Hungary
Ordered a 4,1 (flashed to 5,1) from a reseller, 6 core 2.93Ghz Xeon, 16GB ram, failry new 256gb nvme ssd card, etc.

Looking to upgrade the ram to 48GB and the GPU to something modern.

It was fairly cheap. A 10 year old machine that will be an upgrade to my 15" rMBP. Amazing!

Reactions: howiest

kurbatovalex

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2013
Hi guys!

i just bought my first macpro 5.1
It has ssd initially and i installed mojave on it

then i bought one more 2.5 SSD and OCW adapter - but i tried all three other ports - and none of them see my disc. When i put this SSD to usb3 case - its working well. What is the problem? Can 3 of 4 sata bays be burned?
[doublepost=1551396568][/doublepost]Oh sorry, i was so stupid doing it without turning mac off! Now its working!
But for some reason - its 30% slower than when drive is connected via USB3.0 PCI-E card. Is it how it should be?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
By three other ports are you referring to the built in internal sata ports (4 in total)?
You do realize these internal bays are only SATA2.
This could explain the performance difference.

xbart

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2019
So. Oregon
I’ve been given a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 it has a single 3.06GHz 6 Core processor and 24GB of ram.
I’m looking for some opinions on upgrading the hard drive to PCIe M.2 SATA or PCIe 2.5” SATA
I would want it to be bootable, what are pluses and minuses of each.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I’ve been given a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 it has a single 3.06GHz 6 Core processor and 24GB of ram.
I’m looking for some opinions on upgrading the hard drive to PCIe M.2 SATA or PCIe 2.5” SATA
I would want it to be bootable, what are pluses and minuses of each.

May I know if you want to go for PCIe, why not go straight to NVMe but stay at SATA? For 2.5” SATA, I can understand that’s still much cheaper if you are looking for something like 8TB SSD storage.

But I can’t see the benefit of using m.2 SATA. It’s not the cheapest option, nor the fastest option. But middle of nowhere.

xbart

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2019
So. Oregon
May I know if you want to go for PCIe, why not go straight to NVMe but stay at SATA? For 2.5” SATA, I can understand that’s still much cheaper if you are looking for something like 8TB SSD storage.

But I can’t see the benefit of using m.2 SATA. It’s not the cheapest option, nor the fastest option. But middle of nowhere.
I'm just learning the technology and the terminology. It sounds like you are saying that NVMe would be faster than PCIe M.2 and the 2.5” SATA SSD would be cheaper than both. How much difference will it make as to which of these the OS resides?

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
I did it: finally bought my 'dream' Mac if you will.

Purchased config: Mid-2010 12c 2.93GHz, 32GB RAM, EVGA GTX680, RAID Controller, 1TB HDD. Got it for $700.

Purchased upgrades, so far:
-2x OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SATA
-2x 512GB Samsung 860 EVO SSDs (one Win10, one MacOS)
-Sonnet Allegro PCIe to USB 3.0
-Sapphire PULSE RX 580
-2x Xeon X5675 3.06GHz (they were cheap)

I think this will keep me busy for a while. :)

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
I just ordered a brand new 6,1 12 core on the Apple Store. I can't wait to get it!!! Just kidding...who in the world would?

Reactions: Synchro3

Amsterdamned

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2018
Adelaide
I did it: finally bought my 'dream' Mac if you will.

Purchased config: Mid-2010 12c 2.93GHz, 32GB RAM, EVGA GTX680, RAID Controller, 1TB HDD. Got it for $700.

Purchased upgrades, so far:
-2x OWC Accelsior S PCIe to SATA
-2x 512GB Samsung 860 EVO SSDs (one Win10, one MacOS)
-Sonnet Allegro PCIe to USB 3.0
-Sapphire PULSE RX 580
-2x Xeon X5675 3.06GHz (they were cheap)

I think this will keep me busy for a while. :)

Any reason why you didn’t go for nvme storage, at least for macOS? I have a spare 500GB Crucial SSD I’d love to use but I’m stuck with either putting up with SATA 2 speeds or buying something like that overpriced OWC adapter. Nvme just makes more financial sense to me, especially if I can sell my (sealed) Crucial drive.

Reactions: jbarley

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
Any reason why you didn’t go for nvme storage, at least for macOS? I have a spare 500GB Crucial SSD I’d love to use but I’m stuck with either putting up with SATA 2 speeds or buying something like that overpriced OWC adapter. Nvme just makes more financial sense to me, especially if I can sell my (sealed) Crucial drive.

No real reason other than I didn't think to do it when buying parts. I'm happy with what I've got, though. It is 'fast enough' if that makes sense. :D

Amsterdamned

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2018
Adelaide
No real reason other than I didn't think to do it when buying parts. I'm happy with what I've got, though. It is 'fast enough' if that makes sense. :D

It does make sense. Full speed SSD is definitely fast enough for what I need but I also need to invest a bit more time looking for a cheaper way to get it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.