Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spizzi

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
I'm not sure any amount of CPU and GPU and RAM will help in getting an "older version" of PP to do better with 4K. IIRC, these older versions are single-threaded. And if they take any advantage of GPU, it's Nvidia.
After upgrading you hardware so impressively, I suggest you spend a little more to get with something that can handle 4K. You can spend more time learning Resolve (free), more money upgrading to CC, or more time and money learning FCPX. 4K and beyond!

I've got CS6 Master Collection that I'm holding on to as long as I can ;) I've tried Resolve plenty of times and just revert back to Adobe. Might eventually be forced to go a new route soon.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I've got CS6 Master Collection
Me, too. I'm pretty sure you can run this on a Cray and still not get good 4K performance. I don't know this, but I suspect that developers embraced GPU processing for NLEs because they could see that CPUs weren't going to get there. I have a 6-core cMP with 32GB RAM, NVMe SSD and RX580. FCPX 4K editing is smooth as butter. I have a 2013 15-MBP. Same thing. When importing/timeline/export work, you can watch the CPU and GPU working together. Same with Resolve. My friend with 2012 2x6core/RX580/64GB - HD is at the upper limit of what he can edit with CS6.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
My Mac Pro has now shipped and is scheduled for delivery on Monday.

I must admit I was in two minds whether to cancel the order after Monday’s announcement (I expected the Arm announcement but thought the transition would be longer), but decided to keep it.

I should get 3-5 years of official Mac OS support out of it, by which time it’ll have paid for itself and I’ll be able to repurpose it with Linux or Windows if necessary.

Alternatively, I may just keep it running MacOS until it dies as one of the last Intel Macs.

I never intended to resell it so the loss of resale value doesn’t bother me

Having said all that, I’m still super excited to get my hands on this beast and see what it can do :)

Reactions: OkiRun

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
My Mac Pro has now shipped and is scheduled for delivery on Monday.

I must admit I was in two minds whether to cancel the order after Monday’s announcement (I expected the Arm announcement but thought the transition would be longer), but decided to keep it.

I should get 3-5 years of official Mac OS support out of it, by which time it’ll have paid for itself and I’ll be able to repurpose it with Linux or Windows if necessary.

Alternatively, I may just keep it running MacOS until it dies as one of the last Intel Macs.

I never intended to resell it so the loss of resale value doesn’t bother me

Having said all that, I’m still super excited to get my hands on this beast and see what it can do :)
You might want to make a signature of your specs so when you post comments, readers can easily see your configuration.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
2019 MP 12core 1tb SSD 32gb Ram- got it in April. Great deal from BhPhoto ($500 off and no sales tax via payboo)

Grabbed an extra 16gb RAM from OWC along with 2 x Sonnet Tempo PCI to SATA cards. Populated them with 3x 2tb and 1x 4tb Samsung SSD’s

Very nice system for audio scoring / production. Was previously using a 2013 6core MP with External mechanical drives. It’s not a huge performance upgrade over what I had, but I am enjoying the reduction of noise and greater speeds of the SSD’s

Reactions: pshufd and OkiRun

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello all, I'm a Mac novice.

I got my first Mac Pro 1,1 basic configuration last month. (~95$) (2x2GHz Dua Core Xeon; 4GB FB-DIMM; 7300GT, 16GB HDD)
- Upgrade to 16GB (6 x 2GB FB-DIMM for 12$)
- Flashed to MP2,1
- Install El Capitan (using diskimage provided by Greg Hrutkay)
- Swap the 7300GT with Gigabyte HD 6670 2GB from my old dead PC. (reference price ~20$ 2nd)
- Tried to install Windows 7 - 64bit to a partition on Lion10.7.5 HDD, while using the modified Boot Camp running from El Capital HDD to create a USB window installer...
Forgot to take out the HD 6670 first to swap it with the original 7300GT
MP rebooted with a dark screen....
Got panic and turn-off, swap in the 7300GT
Turn MP on...

Now I have only the dark screen with a flickering dash at the top left corner... This happened when I plugged any of the USB installer, 10.7.5 HDD or 10.11.6 HDD in)

When I plugged out every media (USB, HDDs), the screen went back to the normal grey Mac, with a question marked folder icon. This indicate that the hardware is still good.

I tried plugging in an SSD in USB box => back to dark screen

I removed the SSD out and plugged it directly to the SATA port.
I got Windows 10 64 bit up and running. (The SSD was installed with WindowsToGo using Rufus and Windows 10 ISO 1803 edition, it came from a PC running windows 10 as a home NAS).

I used a no-brand mechanical PC keyboard, and could not get the MP to recovery mode or boot selection mode.... (Alt, Windows + R, Alt +R, Control + Windows + Alt + R, v.v.... all were tried with no success)

Running out of options, this morning I had to send the MP1,1 to a service shop, hoping that they can re-install OS X Lion to the HDD for me.

Side note:
The DVD drive could not open, and I don't have any other IDE DVD drives around, just SATA DVD drives.
I have no Mac keyboard to use the Option key.....

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Several price cuts for Mac Pros (2008-2012) i my area. There's been a 2012 12-core 2.4 Ghz with 128 GB RAM for sale for $2,000 for over a month. Price dropped to $1,500 this morning. I expect it to drop a lot more given the weak single-core capability. An 8-core system with flashed video card started at $600 and has steadily dropped to $450. I think that people trying to sell them are seeing the ARM writing on the wall. I wouldn't mind one of these but the asking prices seem unrealistic and I'll just be patient.

iFredTV

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2020
Figured that my inaugural post should be "I just bought a Mac Pro and I cannot wait".

I just bought a Mac Pro and I cannot wait.

MacPro.png

MotionManSF

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
In my Nextdoor neighborhood, I am known the "Apple Guy." I collect Apple hardware; old, newer, working, broken, parts, monitors, cables, etc. - if it has an Apple logo, I will take it. I appreciate gifts, but I sometimes pay, but always below market - which I explain clearly to people. Most of the time, they just want it out of the house ;)

About two weeks ago I received a private message from a neighbor; she was moving the next day and need to sell her computer. After a little negotiation, I agreed to take it off her hands for $260.00. I picked it up that evening.

I wasn't really in the market for a new desktop, and I don't normally do the things that most of you use your Mac Pros for - am not in tech, film, sound, art, or anything like that - I'm a lawyer (but I have a tech background and a love for good tech (and I play some Counterstrike:GO)).

After I received the machine, I did a little research, bought a few things, took a few things out, put a few things in, etc. After the initial $260.00 investment, I have spent about $515.00 (3x 1TB HDD, 16 GB RAM, RX 580 GPU, misc parts and cables).

My current specs are as follows:

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) (MacPro 5,1)
MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina) (dosdude1 patched)
Boot ROM Version: 144.0.0.0.0
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon X5690
240GB SSD (Crucial M500 CT240M500SSD1 2.5” SATA III)
4 x 1 TB HDD (WD Blue 7200 RPM (WD10EZEX))
32 GB (4 x 8 GB) PC3-10600 DDR3 1333 MHz ECC RAM (Hynix HMT41GV7BMR4C-H9) [16 GB (2 x 8 GB) more on order arriving next week - triple channel goodness to come]
Radeon RX 580 8 GB PCIe GPU
USB 3.1 (2 port) PCI-E Extension Card (FG-EUSB312A)
Stock Wifi/Bluetooth (using Ethernet)
3 x 24-inch (1920 x 1200) Displays (Dell 2405FPW) [Previously owned]

[It came with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti PCIe GPU that I am selling.]

I did a little research and I figure, generally, for an investment of about $775.00 I now have a rig worth about $1,800.00.

The only thing I have left to do (I think) is upgrade the wifi/Bluetooth, but I am no hurry to do that, yet.

I am pretty pleased with myself and I love my "new" Mac Pro!

MotionMan

Last edited:
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
Please tell me about the lighting you have in there.

Thanks.

MotionMan

Sure thing!

They are Nanoxia CoolForce 20cm LED bars. Basically a long PCB with some SMD LEDs on it.

Amazon Link - 20 Bucks Each

I'm running them off the SATA connector that would normally power a second SuperDrive.

Nippon Labs SATA to Molex

Basically had to take the entire machine apart to route the wires nicely, but the end product is cool IMO.

MotionManSF

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020

patrick.a

macrumors regular
May 22, 2020
So I'm in Switzerland and I've ordered my Mac Pro on the 10th of July. It was sent on the 15th of July but I didn't get a tracking number yet. Is this normal? Also: On the bill it says "Origin: US" - I thought the MP for Europe would come from China? Has this changed or is this because of Corona, does anyone know?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
2019 MP 12core 1tb SSD 32gb Ram- got it in April. Great deal from BhPhoto ($500 off and no sales tax via payboo)

Grabbed an extra 16gb RAM from OWC along with 2 x Sonnet Tempo PCI to SATA cards. Populated them with 3x 2tb and 1x 4tb Samsung SSD’s

Very nice system for audio scoring / production. Was previously using a 2013 6core MP with External mechanical drives. It’s not a huge performance upgrade over what I had, but I am enjoying the reduction of noise and greater speeds of the SSD’s

Also take note of the company Sonnet Corp to get pie cards that you could use! Also take a look at their OWC Garage Sales because they change all the time!

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2014
Hey, awesome! Just curious, how did you get Catalina installed? OpenCore?

It came with Catalina pre-installed but I just downloaded DosDude's patcher and put a clean install on the system that way via a thumb drive. All of the benefits of OpenCore (boot screen, startup disk selection, etc.) I currently have no need for faffing about with as I'm pretty much exclusively MacOS and the card it came with is flashed to show a boot screen. The rare time I need Windows I'll manually shove the Windows drive in the system.

Reactions: smirk

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
A few little boxes just arrived from America (six days ahead of schedule!) :) How the Americans can get things to me from the other side of the planet in just 3 days, where my local shop up the road (that I can't physically visit thanks to lockdown) takes two weeks... I don't know.

But I'm not complaining!

View attachment 958998
View attachment 958999
When its together, go post to the thread - Show off your 7,1 set up :cool:

Reactions: Grumply

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Ok I had my weak moment yesterday. Grabbed a Trashcan for a little bit over 1k€. Mac Pro 6,1/6c/32GB/500GB/dual D300 2GB. I guess I need the advice of collective forum wisdom with this one too. I desire some processor and ram upgds to catch up with my 2010. eGPU will be needed for any serious graphics tasks I think. So I'll go on and read the apropriate threads.

I promised myself not to touch these, not over one thousand €, but it just is so beatifull, isn't it. The price was not so bad eventually (I mean, as in Europe, at least), what do you think?

1601118923075.png

Reactions: OkiRun

MikkelAD

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2018
Ok I had my weak moment yesterday. Grabbed a Trashcan for a little bit over 1k€. Mac Pro 6,1/6c/32GB/500GB/dual D300 2GB. I guess I need the advice of collective forum wisdom with this one too. I desire some processor and ram upgds to catch up with my 2010. eGPU will be needed for any serious graphics tasks I think. So I'll go on and read the apropriate threads.

I promised myself not to touch these, not over one thousand €, but it just is so beatifull, isn't it. The price was not so bad eventually (I mean, as in Europe, at least), what do you think?

This should help you ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.