Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
I have just ordered my dream new 2019 Mac Pro with a 28 core CPU, Afterburner card, 32GB of ram (to be upgraded) 8TB of Storage. Two Radeon Pro Vega Duo with 2 x 32GB of HBM2 memory each. Also ordered are 2 x Pro Display XDR with Standard glass + two Pro stands. I also added a Promise J2i 8 TB Internal Storage & have purchased off Ebay another drive exactly the same which I will be configuring in Raid 0 (I think?).

I will be using the Mac Pro for Video and Photography work. TBH I am more excited about the Pro Display's.

I am unsure of how much Ram to add, I have narrowed the choice down to either 384GB of RDIMM's or 768 GB of LRDIMM's. I am undecided on the amount of ram to purchase.

I have been told delivery time is mid February.

I have managed to negotiate with my wife the use of the dining room table which has a thick glass top to be moved into my office. I work from home. My current desk is built with MDF and despite reinforcement it sags in the middle which with two screens is not going to work well. The only way I can be sure the surface is flat is to use glass or a granite top.

I am very excited and I was well looked after by Apple's business team who got me a good price.

I have organised for one on one training for Final Cut Pro so I can optimise my workflow correctly.

View attachment 890792

Well done. I'm pleased for you. That's a beautiful set up. Aesethically, it would make Angels weep.

I could afford that. But I'd rather not.

If Apple had offered me a the same tower at less than half the price, I'd go for it. There's still hope they do an eGames style gaming tower For £2k to £3k. I could wrap my head around that...and keep my kidneys.

I can see how you're more excited by the displays. Simply astonishing.

Regards,

Azrael.

Alexis Noel

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Houston
I just bought a 2013 Trash Can Mac Pro 8-Core BRAND NEW from the Houston Micro Center yesterday. It is by far my favorite apple product now. Sorry 2018 12.9 iPP and 2018 i5 Mac mini.

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
I just bought a 2013 Trash Can Mac Pro 8-Core BRAND NEW from the Houston Micro Center yesterday. It is by far my favorite apple product now. Sorry 2018 12.9 iPP and 2018 i5 Mac mini.

You know. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the 'Mac Pro' if they offered it as a mini-tower/Mac Mini type thing.

You can fit 8 core in that and a decent gpu. That's what most in the £1k to £2k price bracket want. It's design was innovate and superb.

But it wasn't a Mac Pro Tower replacement. It's a case of demographics. Pitched wrongly. Should have been for prosumer enthusiasts and this machine would have stolen the show.

In that, it suffered the same fate as the Cube. Which should have been a £500-£1000 machine. Which the Mini is now sans any kind of 'good' graphics. Even the Cube shipped with decent gpu.

Enjoy it. You've got a nice machine there.

If Apple offered a mini tower, a mid-tower and a Tower Mac? We'd all be happy. (Well, I would....)

They've got the old Trashcan for the mini tower. They could ship an i9 cpu in the Mac Pro and more than half its price.

All lower, mid and upper end of the market for a headless Mac would be covered.

Azrael.

Reactions: electonic

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
I got a 12 core/96GB ram/2TB SSD refurb about 3 weeks ago. It's the best computer I've ever owned so far! If you're thinking about one, I wouldn't hesitate if you see a refurb model you like. I can't imagine there will be many of these beyond the initial review/regret phase lol

Attachments

• IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 360

CatoTheElder

macrumors member
May 7, 2020
I got a 12 core/96GB ram/2TB SSD refurb about 3 weeks ago. It's the best computer I've ever owned so far! If you're thinking about one, I wouldn't hesitate if you see a refurb model you like. I can't imagine there will be many of these beyond the initial review/regret phase lol

It looks as if you‘re using the Pro Display XDR with both your MacPro and your Macbook... is that the case or does/would it work?

CatoTheElder

macrumors member
May 7, 2020
it works but i have to switch the cable so it's not really that convenient (XDR only has one input)

Ok, thanks for clarifying!
Is there any kind of kvm-switch/adapter/„daisy chaining“ to make it work with two computers?

Oh, and to contribute to the thread: I have ordered the 16-core MP and the Pro Display XDR, and both are in transit. I even live-tracked the airplane with flightradar oOSo hopefully I will receive both on monday.

ippikiookami

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
(Actually I got it yesterday, but I'm really using it today!)

2010 5,1 upgraded to a X5690, 512 SSD on PCI-E card (for 6 Gbps), RX580 8GB (it came with no hard drive - quite a pain to get a working install drive!!). It came with 32 GB of RAM but one stick is dead. Left to do: patch and install Catalina, tear everything out of this case and put it in a new one (ebay photos were less than honest), new Wifi card, data hard drive install.

Frankly I'm surprised it works at all - the PCI bracket and fan assembly (as well as RAID card and 7700) were COMPLETELY LOOSE. I don't know if this is a testament to Apple's engineering or just my dumb luck, but either way I'm grateful since this was a steal of a deal. Haven't used OS X in ~17 years (snow iBook G3) and though it'll take some getting used to, I can honestly say not only have I missed it but it's pretty snappy on this machine!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
There are a decent number of 2010-2012 Mac Pros for sale in my area and I may buy one of these. My preference is towards a 2012 with Dual 6-core processors (they run 2.4 Ghz to 3.6 Ghz I think) and 128 GB capacity. A major downside is DDR3 RAM - you can't get large sticks with DDR3. But that probably keeps the price low. It would be fun to run a 12-core with 128 GB of RAM. It's way more than I need. Right now I'm using a 2008 Dell Studio XPS with 48 GB of RAM with a 4K display for trading and it's working quite nicely. I do prefer macOS over Windows though.

What's a reasonable price range for what I'm looking for? I assume that I'd have to add memory on my own because 128 GB is rare. I think that I'd just like the ability to go to 128 GB. I'd be fine with 32 GB for now.

Reactions: Pecator

Alexis Noel

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Houston
There are a decent number of 2010-2012 Mac Pros for sale in my area and I may buy one of these. My preference is towards a 2012 with Dual 6-core processors (they run 2.4 Ghz to 3.6 Ghz I think) and 128 GB capacity. A major downside is DDR3 RAM - you can't get large sticks with DDR3. But that probably keeps the price low. It would be fun to run a 12-core with 128 GB of RAM. It's way more than I need. Right now I'm using a 2008 Dell Studio XPS with 48 GB of RAM with a 4K display for trading and it's working quite nicely. I do prefer macOS over Windows though.

What's a reasonable price range for what I'm looking for? I assume that I'd have to add memory on my own because 128 GB is rare. I think that I'd just like the ability to go to 128 GB. I'd be fine with 32 GB for now.

OWC has 128GB RAM kit for the cheese grater Mac Pros.

I would just try to find a cheap 2010-2012 and do the cpu/gpu/ram upgrade yourself vs buying one with everything done for a premium.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
OWC has 128GB RAM kit for the cheese grater Mac Pros.

I would just try to find a cheap 2010-2012 and do the cpu/gpu/ram upgrade yourself vs buying one with everything done for a premium.

Found a 2x3.06 Ghz 12-core with 48 GB RAM for $750 ask this morning. 5,1. I prefer the CheeseGrater model over the Trash Can. I'm just worried about the age of the thing. I will put out low-ball orders on several and see what happens.

Reactions: tommy chen

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Are you guys not conceded about software support? For example on my Mac Pro 2009 I have high Sierra in it. While doing tax last year I was told by turbo tax that this is the last year they will support it. As well as the fact that I can no longer upgrade the OS on it.

This feels like the same fate as my G5 when no one was supporting it anymore. Even with a trash can 2013, how long will Apple continue to support the hardware? That’s my main concern. Just check the list, 2010-2012 is no longer supported by Catalina. I get there are hacks but if I was to throw down money now I would prefer something from 2017-2018.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Are you guys not conceded about software support? For example on my Mac Pro 2009 I have high Sierra in it. While doing tax last year I was told by turbo tax that this is the last year they will support it. As well as the fact that I can no longer upgrade the OS on it.

This feels like the same fate as my G5 when no one was supporting it anymore. Even with a trash can 2013, how long will Apple continue to support the hardware? That’s my main concern. Just check the list, 2010-2012 is no longer supported by Catalina. I get there are hacks but if I was to throw down money now I would prefer something from 2017-2018.
Upgrade your GPU to a METAL supported one and you'll have Mojave Security Updates up to September/October 2021.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Are you guys not conceded about software support?
My sense is the vast majority, if not all, of the participants on this thread are fully aware that their cMP is past Apple software support. And that will mean issues with 3rd-party software such as Turbo Tax.

That said, there is still good functionality to be had. For several more years, as @tsialex states above.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My sense is the vast majority, if not all, of the participants on this thread are fully aware that their cMP is past Apple software support. And that will mean issues with 3rd-party software such as Turbo Tax.

That said, there is still good functionality to be had. For several more years, as @tsialex states above.

I have a newer MacBook Pro for TurboTax. I imagine that a lot of people with really old hardware have multiple systems with the really old hardware as "projects" - that's the way that I look at my really old hardware (I'm typing on a 2008 machine right now). If this thing died today, I'd have something else that I could use instead.

Reactions: OkiRun

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010

Oh don't get me wrong. I LOVE my second hand Mac Pro 2009 flashed to 5,1. I was thinking to retire it and get a new Mac instead. But after trying out the new Mac (MBA) the only thing I realized that I was missing was system wide dark mode and some other new stuff. The only thing I REALLY wish I have is the ability to support two 2k monitor, currently I'm running a 2k and a 1080p monitor. I know I can probably upgrade the video card, but they are at least $150+, so I'm not sure if I want to drop the money for that. I will hang on to this guy for as long as I can.
[automerge]1591464747[/automerge]
I have a newer MacBook Pro for TurboTax. I imagine that a lot of people with really old hardware have multiple systems with the really old hardware as "projects" - that's the way that I look at my really old hardware (I'm typing on a 2008 machine right now). If this thing died today, I'd have something else that I could use instead.

Yea, these are kind of like my only machine. I have a Mac pro 2009 and a MacBook pro 2011. The problem is, I don't like to have multiple machines, call my picky, but it really annoys me when I needed something installed but I don't have it installed or setup because it's not my main machine. That's why I limited to only two and I use them with everything.

As far as project goes, I do work on electronics project, but I don't care to work on older computer. Plus, older Apple parts don't come cheap. So instead of getting a new video card for upgrade, I'd rather go out and buy five raspberry pi for my projects. I just don't think it's wroth the money that's all.

I'm currently thinking to just go for a new Mac Pro 2019 (I know I can get another 10 years out of it). Maybe if I can pick up more side job, I can actually have enough excuse to get one :)

Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
After months of procrastinating and trying to persuade myself I don’t need a Mac Pro, I’ve finally given in and ordered one today (12 core, 48gb, 1TB, W5700X).

It is, by far, the most expensive machine I’ve ever bought and my first Mac Pro since the first generation and I’m planning on getting at least 5 years of hard work out of it.

Main uses will be Lightroom / Photoshop and development (with plenty of VM use). I’ll be adding a 2TB NVME SSD in a PCI card and will probably add more memory to support lots of VMs

It’s arguably overkill for what I need, but I didn’t want an all in one as I have a good multiple monitor setup that I need to use with more than one machine (via a KVM) and the only other option would have been a Mac Mini with an eGPU or MacBook Pro, neither of which would have given me the expandability I wanted so I decided to get the machine that will best suit my needs. It’s a business purchase and will more than pay for itself over its lifetime, but it was still a big pill to swallow!

Hardest thing now is the 2+ week wait for it to be delivered!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
After months of procrastinating and trying to persuade myself I don’t need a Mac Pro, I’ve finally given in and ordered one today (12 core, 48gb, 1TB, W5700X).

It is, by far, the most expensive machine I’ve ever bought and my first Mac Pro since the first generation and I’m planning on getting at least 5 years of hard work out of it.

Main uses will be Lightroom / Photoshop and development (with plenty of VM use). I’ll be adding a 2TB NVME SSD in a PCI card and will probably add more memory to support lots of VMs

It’s arguably overkill for what I need, but I didn’t want an all in one as I have a good multiple monitor setup that I need to use with more than one machine (via a KVM) and the only other option would have been a Mac Mini with an eGPU or MacBook Pro, neither of which would have given me the expandability I wanted so I decided to get the machine that will best suit my needs. It’s a business purchase and will more than pay for itself over its lifetime, but it was still a big pill to swallow!

This is the dilemma of Mac users who need expandability - the Mac Pro is really the only option and it's overkill.

I wish that they had kept making cheesegraters after 2012 - there would be a lot of good used options.

Reactions: Phil A.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan

Are you confident your monitors will be easily compatible with the 7,1?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Are you confident your monitors will be easily compatible with the 7,1?
Yeah - the Mac Pro supports just about any modern display in existence. Mine are a mixture of HDMI and DVI with the HDMI through a KVM and the DVI dedicated to my main machine so I’ll just need a USB-C to DVI adapter.
To be clear, there’s nothing particularly special about my monitors: it’s just the layout and setup of them on arms that really works in my workspace and fits my requirements

Last edited:

spizzi

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
Got a 7,1 refurb. I wanted the 16-core with other lower end specs (smaller SDD size) but missed the boat twice. Oh well, can always upgrade CPU and everything else later.

My purchase is a 12-core, 48GB, 4TB and RX580. Got another 96GB R-DIMMS on the way. I have a question in another thread - if I mix the 96GB RAM with the stock 48GB, am I going to take a performance hit? Should I just use the 96GB of all same RAM (6x16GB) in place of the stock 6x8 sticks? Or should I consume all 12 slots and not expect a performance hit?

I do a lot of video and photography as an enthusiast. Everything with the new 7,1 was great until I started editing 4K footage in an older version of Premiere Pro...serious glitches going on. 1080p doesn't seem to be a problem. I ordered more RAM to see if that will help. From there (if it does not help), I will move into replacing the GPU (within 12 months). Last resort will be higher 16-core CPU (which might be a couple years down the line so I'll just have to live with the timeline editing glitches I'm experiencing or simply go back down to 1080p footage).

Side note: I use boot camp and get an error with the Radeon 580 on boot up and the screen goes black. The whole time I thought boot camp was hanging so I kept resetting PRAM, rebooting, reset PRAM and rebooting. Turns out Windows was fully loaded and waiting for me on the sign-in screen. I figured that out after toggling my monitor's power in order to get the card to register/acknowledge the video out to my screen. Once I log into Windows, I get a Radeon link error notification but everything seems to be working fine. Only use boot camp for video games and TBH I only have 1 legacy FPS game that I love and it works MUCH better than expected. And 100 times better than my 6,1 (the same game would have the 6,1 overheat within 5 minutes of game play and I had the fully decked out dual D700's). Point is the 7,1 Mac Pro is finally the one I've been looking for because it lets me do all the things I want, a 2 in 1 system, work on the MacOS, games on the boot camp.

Also, noticed some posters saying Apple isn't requiring signature for delivery - same applied to me. In fact, FedEx left the box on the ground, sideways :( The good news is I was home so I didn't hear them drop it on its side and I would have because it is super heavy. Also good news: it's packed extremely well.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
in an older version of Premiere Pro
I'm not sure any amount of CPU and GPU and RAM will help in getting an "older version" of PP to do better with 4K. IIRC, these older versions are single-threaded. And if they take any advantage of GPU, it's Nvidia.
After upgrading you hardware so impressively, I suggest you spend a little more to get with something that can handle 4K. You can spend more time learning Resolve (free), more money upgrading to CC, or more time and money learning FCPX. 4K and beyond!

Reactions: OkiRun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.