Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
This is something you don't want to see when you've been patiently tracking delivery and not going out in case the courier comes.

Just before Christmas in Australia, when that and Boxing Day are public holidays, and businesses here basically grind to a halt until the first Monday of the New Year.

shipmentdelayed.jpg

To be fair to the courier though, they did recover very quickly and did in fact deliver this evening.

Ordered: early hours of December 11 Australian time (December 10 in Cupertino)
Delivered: December 23

• Love
Reactions: martyjmclean

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
This is something you don't want to see when you've been patiently tracking delivery and not going out in case the courier comes.

Just before Christmas in Australia, when that and Boxing Day are public holidays, and businesses here basically grind to a halt until the first Monday of the New Year.

View attachment 884307

To be fair to the courier though, they did recover very quickly and did in fact deliver this evening.

Ordered: early hours of December 11 Australian time (December 10 in Cupertino)
Delivered: December 23
Congrats and how on earth did you get them to do that? I’m in OZ and due tomorrow. I hope I don’t get a message! Good luck with it!!

Bradleyone

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
how on earth did you get them to do that?

I didn't actually have to do anything, they resolved it internally. There must be a lot of strain on the system at this time of year with so many packages.

My theory is the MP box is so heavy it broke their truck and they had to transfer to another one! As it is, they need to use a trolley to get it to the door.

Anyway, I'm sure I've used up the bad luck for Aussie orders and the rest will be smooth. Enjoy your delivery today and don't get anxious if it's PM rather than AM.

im in oz also due in tommrrow! yeah

Make sure you use a steady hand for that CPU upgrade. Let us know how it goes.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Another thing, the screws on the socket are not standard Torx, I've look for a proper screwdriver on iFixit shop but I haven't found one that match exactly, maybe is this?: https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Tools/Drivers-Wrenches/Tri-point-Y0-Screwdriver.html
View attachment 882929

socket1a.jpg

Those are standard T8 fasteners . You do not need to unscrew them to remove the metal clamp that holds the processor in place .

However , removing all four of the T8 fasteners that retain the two processor heatsink standoff plates will make it easier to install and remove a processor . Remember to use a T handle driver . A straight handle driver might not give you enough torque if the threads of the screws have a lot of Loctite .

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
Me too, I think you’ll get it in the first couple days of Jan - mine was in the shipping week before yours and it’s on board for delivery any minute

Possibly. The obvious challenge is the remaining holiday between now and then, so I'm not expecting it to ship earlier than their estimate. The pisser is that I'm off work these two holiday weeks, and back to work the 6th. Doh!

inflame93

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Possibly. The obvious challenge is the remaining holiday between now and then, so I'm not expecting it to ship earlier than their estimate. The pisser is that I'm off work these two holiday weeks, and back to work the 6th. Doh!

Where about are you? Mine took 4 days to be delivered to Australia, including 2 public holidays

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
Where about are you? Mine took 4 days to be delivered to Australia, including 2 public holidays

I'm in the US; that means assembly is here (vs China for you) and as such: two holidays to deal with. ;-)

ETA: My CC was just charged, so that's a positive sign.

Last edited:

basehead617

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
I got an Apple Card for the 6% discount then tried to order a new Mac Pro - but it was over the credit limit so paid for the difference with a gift card. Purchase got flagged and was under review, went through about a week later.

Original delivery was estimated jan 6-10. Unfortunately even with all the payment delay it’s saying Jan 2nd now. But I had it delivered to work and work isn’t there that week.

Hopefully UPS will hold after the 3rd delivery attempt and will let me pick it up even though it’s not my address.

Last edited:

natallica

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Got mine tonight. The UPS guy tried to dump it in the middle of my driveway without getting a signature -- which is disturbing.

This is a best of a machine and insanely quiet. It's a pleasure to use.

Reactions: OkiRun

arock

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
Got mine tonight. The UPS guy tried to dump it in the middle of my driveway without getting a signature -- which is disturbing.

This is a best of a machine and insanely quiet. It's a pleasure to use.
Yeah, Apple didn't require signature from me either. Enjoy your new machine!

Reactions: natallica

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
My ship notice says signature will be required. Not a big deal since we've never had anything stolen off our porch, and I'm on "vacation" that week anyway.

basehead617

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Picked up mine today - 16-core, 96gb ram, 4 tb SSD, 580X base video card.

Working flawlessly so far. Still installing all my VIs and moving projects over from windows.

Thinking of getting Logic - seems like a steal for the price and it pairs so well with this machine by all accounts.

It really is quiet. How quiet? I have a studio room with soundproofing and soundproof windows. I cannot hear the machine above the ambient noise from outside. The machine is also quieter than the 'nothing' coming out of my speakers when the speakers are on. I mean REALLY quiet.

tobiastimpe

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
It really is quiet. How quiet? I have a studio room with soundproofing and soundproof windows. I cannot hear the machine above the ambient noise from outside. The machine is also quieter than the 'nothing' coming out of my speakers when the speakers are on. I mean REALLY quiet.
That is amazing to hear (or not hear), can't wait to throw out my 8 year old Hackintosh.

seanie blue

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2019
Ordered on Christmas Eve from CIT, the lease financing arm of Apple, signed the papers on the 27th of December, and arrived on Jan 2, less than a week later. Came with extra RAM, 2TB storage, the Radeon 32g graphics card, 16-core, and Apple knocked off a good chunk from the retail for small business "loyalty." And the 2nd of January is my birthday, so all in all a great confluence of desire and savvy business. Had to check it turned on when I pressed the power button, because it runs so silent!

Also ordered the LG 27-inch 5K, hooked it up with a 27-inch Mac screen (originally from 2013 for use as a secondary display for iMac), everything ticking nicely. The Radeon graphics card addition was a good move, because I will need the extra ports: I've got 80 Terabytes on various drives that I need access to, thundebolt or USB-C or USB 3 connectors, and have ordered the Sonnet Allegro 4-bay USB-A PCIe, which B&H is waiting to re-stock.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Well, it's here, I opened the door for the UPS guy and he had it on a hand truck and just dumped it over the door threshold. Then he waved and ran off not wanting a signature.

Unboxed, and I'm unsure how any any sort of shipping damage happens to this thing.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
After owning a 4,1 flashed to 5,1 Mac Pro, a 2018 Mac Mini, and a iMac Pro... I decided to give the 6,1 Mac Pro a try (the 7,1 is just too expensive for me given it's base model specs and expensive upgradability). I purchased from a third party seller on eBay, only to find out the fedex driver signed my package himself in order to not have to redeliver the item! I was on the phone all day with fedex... due to me getting an email saying someone signed my name at my residence when I KNEW no-one was home. When I was finally able to return home from work, luckily the package was there unharmed.

Thankfully, the computer was in awesome condition. It was the base model quad-core with 16GB of RAM and dual D300 GPUs. I plan on a complete teardown and cleaning of the machine, as well as upgrading to 32GB of RAM and a E5-2667 V2 CPU.

So far, performance has been as expected of the time period... it is quicker than my quad-core 15" 2012 MacBook Pro, but slightly slower in multi-core performance than my 12-core 5,1 (3.06ghz). With the upgrade to the 2667 CPU, I expect it to beat the older Mac Pro, and match or beat my 2018 i5 Mini. Perhaps in the near future, I will further upgrade the machine to the 12-core 2697 CPU and challenge my iMac Pro. IMG_2662.jpeg

Reactions: serpico007

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
With the upgrade to the 2667 CPU, I expect it to beat the older Mac Pro, and match or beat my 2018 i5 Mini. Perhaps in the near future, I will further upgrade the machine to the 12-core 2697 CPU and challenge my iMac Pro.

According to Geekbench's CPU and Mac charts the E5 2667v2 should challenge a 2018 i7 Mini but the 2697 should just fall short of the base 2019 Mac Pro and 2017 iMac Pro.

I guess you're doing it for the fun of tinkering with Macs (or for collecting one of the best looking ones), but can there be another compelling reason to go for the trashcan? It has fairly limited and expensive storage options, is TB2 only and stuck with GPUs that never really impressed... if only it had two M.2 PCIe slots for storage and something like the MPX modules for the graphic card (admittedly difficult given the form factor).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.