Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
I'm not sure it will work like that, the way it's build looks like you need to unscrew those to remove the CPU, of course I can be wrong.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2014
Yes looks like a production version, even your CPU seems to boost 20 core over 4ghz so it's indeed a very good result! It shows almost 4.6ghz on a single core so it will be able to get the maximum boost even while using most of the other cores. All of this make me think it's the right CPU for my needs, I mostly need single threaded performance for editing but if can get also a lot of cores for rendering or simulation it will be perfect.
Please when you install the CPU let us know for how long it will be able to sustain the clock under MacOS.
im using 2013 12 cores trash can always keep above standard clockspeed,and 2019 should be similar

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Another thing, the screws on the socket are not standard Torx, I've look for a proper screwdriver on iFixit shop but I haven't found one that match exactly, maybe is this?: https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Tools/Drivers-Wrenches/Tri-point-Y0-Screwdriver.html
View attachment 882929
Interesting find. Its something like a hybrid of a screw; a six winged or hexalobe style philips screw. I don't think I have seen something like that before. There is no driver to be found for that one easily as far as I can tell, at least not from iFixit tool sets. I can't find anything googling half an hour now. Based on a couple of internet sources it just could be a new variant:
https://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/11555977#Hex
https://www.wiha.com/gb/en/service/screw-profile-guide/

Apple designed a tamper resistant screw, who would ever have thought so?
It looks like a screw head not to behave the best against cam out, wouldn't you think? Only a little better than a shallow philips screw.

Well, it's a rendered image, isn't it.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
im using 2013 12 cores trash can always keep above standard clockspeed,and 2019 should be similar
I’ve a 6.1 too but while my 8core have an all core boost of 3.4 from 3ghz, this thing can boost most core to over 4ghz from 2.5, definitely more impressive given the amount of core involved;)
[automerge]1576486479[/automerge]

Yes I'm building a 3D model of the 7.1 including internal components, this is a real picture:

MOBO 1 diff.jpg

IFixit should make a tear down of the 7.1 shortly, maybe they can tell us something more about those screws.

Last edited:

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
sirio76 said:
mikas said:
Yes I'm building a 3D model of the 7.1 including internal components

Really nice model and render. I'd ask your software and maybe render engine too, but it would be a little off topic in this thread I think. And I still wonder what the _ supposedly _ new driver and bit should be called.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Really nice model and render. I'd ask your software and maybe render engine too, but it would be a little off topic in this thread I think. And I still wonder what the _ supposedly _ new driver and bit should be called.

It's done in Cinema4d, is not rendered, just viewport shading, here I've a few more images:
https://www.c4dzone.com/it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34044

Back on topic, those screws can be a real issue for people willing to upgrade the CPU. I'm ready to buy the 7.1 but first I want to see how other users will solve the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: OkiRun

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
C4D viewport got updated by R19 release if I remember it right, and it's quite nice looking. I don't usually model in C4D, it's mostly the render farm tool for me (studio, unlimited clients). I do CAD daily/mostly. And I also know we are off topic. Better find another thread.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
I'm still in processing here in Australia even though I ordered day 1. Has anyone in Australia seen 'preparing to ship'? Given Europeans have started receiving there's from China I am surprised we have had no movement on ours...

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2014
I'm still in processing here in Australia even though I ordered day 1. Has anyone in Australia seen 'preparing to ship'? Given Europeans have started receiving there's from China I am surprised we have had no movement on ours...
13 dec, order in aus, same no movement

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
They're probably regular Torx, but just look different in that drawing. We'll see tomorrow what they look like and if they have anti-tampering stickers on top of them when iFixit does the teardown, unless of course anyone else who has one already wants to take photos for us.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
That's not a drawing, this is a photo of the real socket taken from Apple advertising material:
1576537650547.png

Those are not Torx, anyway we will know for sure very soon;)

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
I was looking at the 3d model(it should be quite accurate) and maybe is possible to see the screws even without removing the cooler. It will be very usefull if somebody who already have the 7.1 can confirm if those are Torx or something else.
Schermata 2019-12-17 alle 00.27.52.png

The difference from a regular Torx(on the right) should look like this:

Schermata 2019-12-17 alle 00.45.27.png

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Has anybody had a Pro Display ship yet? Mine is still in processing. Ordered within first 30 minutes.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
So great news, it turns out that while the socket screws on the front are proprietary, to release the socket you can unscrew the one on the back which are standard. CPU is easily upgradable, now let's hope that the machine supports also the non M version of the 24/28core model so that we can save 3000$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.