Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
My issue was resolved as well. I was told to back up and restore via recovery mode and installed a fresh install of iOS10. Home works now but I don't know how to add my Phillips Hue bridge/lights. Its the square version so I know its compatible. I touch add accessories and it ask to turn Bluetooth on. I do so but bridge didn't join. I admit I didn't have a lot of time to try.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Hi lg251

Can you provide a detail step by step procedure?

For example, do you log out and back in of all devices (iCloud) first then turn off keychain or do you just turn off keychain on all devices? Do you also have to do that on the Mac? I have 3 macs on the same iCloud ID. It is a big pain in the xxx to have to restore my photo library. Also do you have to reboot after you log out of keychain? Or it takes effect immediately?

Sorry for lot of questions. I have been down this road of logging out everything during the beta period and it did not work. It took me 3-4 days to get all my devices back to order again. Just want to ensure I got all the procedure before I do it again.

It is definitely good to hear that someone was able to resolve this issue.

This is the step by step procedure I performed. A few things though, iPad was still on iOS 9 during the iOS 10 beta (when issue surfaced) and iCloud keychain was never turned ON prior to the step by step below. However, it was running iOS 10 when doing the steps. This probably has nothing to do, but thought I'd give a proper statement of my setup beforehand. I was also using a late 2012 iMac and an Apple TV 3rd gen on that same account.

Step by Step
1. Turn off keychain on the iPhone (and all other devices if you have more)
2. Sign out of iCloud on all your devices (I started with my iPhone which is my main device and the one I had used with the Home app, prior to a beta breaking it), including Apple TV.
3. Force reboot your iPhone (they had me force reboot my iOS devices only)
4. Sign back in your iPhone and fire up the Home app to make sure it doesn't spin endlessly
5. Close app and turn on Keychain on iPhone
6. Sign back in on your other devices and turn on keychain as needed
7. Fire up the Home app again on your iPhone and start configuring your scenes and devices

Hope this helps!

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Thanks for sharing! Did not work here though... :-(

Sorry to hear :(
I'm sure the support engineer on the phone was relieved it worked when they had me do that because he seemed clueless when I told him I had done several times these iCloud and keychain manoeuvres without any luck.

ttgolf

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2007
Hi lg251,

Just tried out your procedure. Unfortunately, it did not work. I have 3 Macs, two iPhones and two iPads on my account. Now I have to try to sync 250GB worth of iCloud photo back to my Macs. This really sux....

lg251

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Hi lg251,

Just tried out your procedure. Unfortunately, it did not work. I have 3 Macs, two iPhones and two iPads on my account. Now I have to try to sync 250GB worth of iCloud photo back to my Macs. This really sux....

Sorry to hear. Apple has replied to 2 of my feedbacks from the iOS 10 beta and mentioned the following, so there's hope:
"There are changes in build 14B55c that may resolve this issue. Is this issue fixed for you in this build? If you are still seeing this issue, please provide any reproduction steps so we may investigate further."

ttgolf

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2007
Just tried 10.1 Beta 2 (latest). Still having the same problem. BTW: I reset my phone and set it up as a new phone. Once I entered my icloud account information. I still get the "loading acccessries and scenes".

Loredo

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016
Same here, also with Beta3.
[doublepost=1476174318][/doublepost]Did you ALL really file a bug report for it?

ava8c

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
Just tried 10.1 Beta 2 (latest). Still having the same problem. BTW: I reset my phone and set it up as a new phone. Once I entered my icloud account information. I still get the "loading acccessries and scenes".
Hi ttgolf! I have the same problem! I'm in contact with apple from two months and they doesn't help me (the thread has 40 mail). Do you have any news? Thanks

ttgolf

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2007
No I was unable to get this issue resolved from Apple. I ended up creating another AppleID and added to my family plan. It is a bit of pain to have to ensure my iMessages, photo,app, etc can be accessed from the new ID. The good news is with the new Apple ID everything works great.

Loredo

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016
iOS 10 Beta 5 finally solves this issue it seems!
I had a long debugging conversation with Apple about this and it seems providing them newly created Apple ID credentials that got corrupted or something and behaves similar to my Apple ID might have helped them. In addition, they sent me an iOS logging extension profile to temporarily increase logging information. Seems that information helped them as well.

However - it's done now it seems! I am such a happy man right now :)

Reactions: lg251

ttgolf

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2007
Glad it works for you. No luck for me. Still the same "Loading Accessories........"

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
iOS 10 Beta 5 finally solves this issue it seems!
I had a long debugging conversation with Apple about this and it seems providing them newly created Apple ID credentials that got corrupted or something and behaves similar to my Apple ID might have helped them. In addition, they sent me an iOS logging extension profile to temporarily increase logging information. Seems that information helped them as well.

However - it's done now it seems! I am such a happy man right now :)
I submitted a bug report for this in the past and they resolved it by clearing out some iCloud data on the backend (such as call history), rather than a code update. Hopefully they truly fixed this instead of on a case-by-case basis.

MonomythMacabre

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
I was having the icloud sync error as well on my iphone. I was able to get around it by setting everything up on my iPad (same icloud account) and then sending an invitation to myself. I have no idea why it worked on the ipad and not my iphone but it does.

paularoyo

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2017
This topic might be not new, but after trying everything possible I need your help. Maybe there's a solution I did not consider yet.

I had a chat with Apple, which at the end was not really helpful: I received an e-mail, which main message sounds like "I can't help you." Apple suggested I should go for a new Apple-ID, because HomeKit doesn't work with Apple-IDs which are connected to a developer account. First, that's not true. HomeKit worked fine before and I have some friends who are developer and they have no issues. Second, a new Apple-ID? Seriously? I had mine for years and don't want to sync thousands of photos or any other data on nine different devices. Not to mention all the other places like "Support Profile" which needs to be updated than as well.
That's like "You're iPad is not working? Get a new one. I don't care."

But let's talk about the problem.

After restoring my iPhone from an iCloud backup—had some issues with battery life and Apples support failed in this case as well—I am not able to reinstall any HomeKit devices. As for now, I can control Philips Hue with the official app, but all other devices like Elgatos Eve are useless, and so is Siri. Everytime I tried to configure Siri with Philips Hue or add a device to Elgatos Eve it says: "iCloud sync in progress. Try later." For weeks now. And HomeKit is not visible in Settings like it was before.

Things I have tried so far:
* turn off and on keychain sync
* reset network settings
* reset all HomeKit devices

and finally (in that order)
* I deleted all HomeKit apps
* I turned off keychain sync
* I signed off from the iCloud account on my phone
* I deleted HomeKit configuration on iPhone
* I restarted iPhone
* I signed in to my iCloud account again
* I activated keychain sync
* I installed all the HomeKit apps

I have although restored my iPhone different times from iCloud and another time from iTunes. Data only—and the whole iOS (DFU mode) as well.

Still "iCloud sync in progress."

Any hints, tips or suggestions are welcome.
I think this is something iCloud related, a kind of hickup I can't get rid of.
But I assume there's no way to deleted all the data on an iCloud account to start over, isn't?

Thanks!
[doublepost=1485404628][/doublepost]I have the solution! Tried everything else but this was the only thing that worked.

1) open the hue app > bridge > clear

2) sign out of iCloud.

3) sign in to iCloud but reset your iCloud Keychain (password then forgot code, then reset)

4) open the home app and let it run for approximately 30 minutes

5) a message at the bottom of the home app should appear asking if you want to reset HomeKit

6) hell yes!

7) set up the hue app and add the HomeKit as usual

STB747400

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2016
I can not do the reset. Do you use the 2-factor?

Thx
Stefan

[doublepost=1485404628][/doublepost]I have the solution! Tried everything else but this was the only thing that worked.

1) open the hue app > bridge > clear

2) sign out of iCloud.

3) sign in to iCloud but reset your iCloud Keychain (password then forgot code, then reset)

4) open the home app and let it run for approximately 30 minutes

5) a message at the bottom of the home app should appear asking if you want to reset HomeKit

6) hell yes!

7) set up the hue app and add the HomeKit as usual

kgnunwei

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Any updates on this one anyone? I was hoping iOS11 public beta 1 would solve the problem, but it didn't :(

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Ios 11.2.5 and still got the loading accessories problem when i open home app so cant use my homepod or set it up i have tried everything restored all my devices but no luck

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I'm sure it'll have been tried, I've probably not noticed in the thread but when I had this problem when I first set up mine, here's what I had to do.

Log out of iCloud on iPhone
Toggle off any apps in Settings > Privacy > HomeKit
Reset Network Settings
Turn iPhone off
Go to appleid.apple.com and make sure Two-Factor Authentication is enabled
Turn iPhone back on
Re-connect to your network
Log back into iCloud
Begin the HomeKit process again.

Oh, and of course your iCloud Keychain needs to be enabled.

That's what worked for me, not had a problem since.

I believe there's also another option to try, which involves opening the Home app and trying to sod the setup but when it doesn't work just leave the Home app open and your iPhone on. After 30-40 minutes (yup, yawn) a message should pop up saying it's taking too long to connect and offering you a reset option. choose the reset option and apparently that works for some people.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
I'm sure it'll have been tried, I've probably not noticed in the thread but when I had this problem when I first set up mine, here's what I had to do.

Reset Network Settings
Turn iPhone off
Turn iPhone back on
Log back into iCloud

I believe there's also another option to try, which involves opening the Home app and trying to sod the setup but when it doesn't work just leave the Home app open and your iPhone on. After 30-40 minutes (yup, yawn) a message should pop up saying it's taking too long to connect and offering you a reset option. choose the reset option and apparently that works for some people.
I tried that but didn't work and when I have left it on for 1 hour I never get the reset option, also is it something to do with keychain or is it damaged in the cloud with my Apple ID as when I sign out it works fine

Bfarmer38119

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Memphis

Reset Network Settings
Turn iPhone off
Turn iPhone back on
Log back into iCloud

I currently have a case open with a senior engineer. I've spent about 8 hours online with tech support, tried all of the online solutions mentioned to no avail. I have since created a new Apple ID and started all over. I have no problems now except I cannot access any of my purchased apps and movies. I am going to see whether Apple can transfer these to the new ID. I have started from scratch with my iPhone, iPaD, Apple TVs - as well as 1 MBP. My main computer with my old ID is going to be backed up to a new partition so that I have something to back to if need be.

This is definitely an iCloud Apple ID issue. We tried to completely empty out my old iCloud account and it was still an issue. I have never been able to get the Homekit or device apps too work with my old ID. When the device software app was used, it even quit working after initially installed. It was reported back as an iCloud data sync issue.

Apple support seems interested in solving the issue but you would think they would be able to by now. Apple will start seeing more and more issues with being able to resolve this issue. Until now, I had been unwilling to invest in the Homekit smart device market with Apple. Now, everything works, including my new Homepods. (Since people are already skeptical of HomePod already, this could be yet another stumbling block to sales.)

I do suspect this issue began after IOS 10.

I expect to hear from tech support this week and will report back the results.

Bill

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
@dan9700 @Bfarmer38119

It is most certainly an issue with iCloud syncing and the keychain IMO. But it’s frankly ridiculous that the problems still exist. I did get mine working with my old ID, but it did take two days of arsing about to get there.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s worked flawlessly since then, even after resets. Which I think just proves it’s an iCloud issue. Once it’s synced up for the first time, it seems to be fine.

But it should not be happening to anyone now. We had this problem right at the start and all of this time later it’s still not resolved? Shocking to say the least.

Good luck to anyone with these problems, I know how frustrating it is.
If I remember anything else I tried, I’ll pop it up, but it’s been a while.

chinanderm

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2014
Iowa
After two years of using a secondary Apple ID/iCloud account just so HomeKit would work, I am now able to migrate back to my primary Apple ID/iCloud account to use HomeKit. Whatever issues my account had are now gone and am successfully able to use HomeKit!

Good luck to everyone else with the issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.