Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
The app is just an interface to the service. All blocking, logging, etc is done on AT&T's end so deleting the app doesn't remove the service.

The app can be used to disable auto-blocking though.

Ok. I logged into myATT and removed the service from the line.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
At this point I've found that iOS call blocking as implemented is completely useless. Scammers are now spoofing real people's numbers, primarily from "local" numbers. Until there's a way to block ranges of numbers in these apps, they are essentially useless. I'm getting upwards of 10 calls a day from fake numbers which are being let through since they change numbers faster than I can block them. With "local" numbers, they literally have tens of thousands of numbers to choose from.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2016
At this point I've found that iOS call blocking as implemented is completely useless. Scammers are now spoofing real people's numbers, primarily from "local" numbers. Until there's a way to block ranges of numbers in these apps, they are essentially useless. I'm getting upwards of 10 calls a day from fake numbers which are being let through since they change numbers faster than I can block them. With "local" numbers, they literally have tens of thousands of numbers to choose from.

Yeah I generally don't even bother to pick up the phone if I don't already have the number saved. I wait for the voicemail...that I usually don't play.

Reactions: Statusnone88

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA
Anyone know of any good iPhone Apple apps out there for stopping solicitation calls dead on their tracks? I get several a week and all I can do is block their phone numbers out, which doesn't do anything, because all they do is to call again with a different phone number. I must have a list of blocked numbers a mile and a half long! I've tried different tricks to stop the calls, but yet they continue. I even have all our phones on the "DO NOT CALL," register, but they don't respect that either. Thank you for any insight or suggestions. -Kathryne

Last edited:
Reactions: 212rikanmofo

HiramCLox

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2017
I really like RoboKiller, which I have been using for about six months now. It is a free trial+subscription (though just 1.99) but I have found it to be about the best out there at blocking these idiots. It has these things called answer bots that are basically canned recordings that play back to the call center people and are usually pretty funny to listen to. Oh, and it has pretty good caller ID, without any of the cut and paste craziness of some other products. YMMV, of course.

Reactions: willmtaylor

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
WHAT THE **** is going on with these annoying calls. I'm so fed up with this ****. I've blocked so many numbers and they keep calling multiple times a day, it's really disrupting me from being productive. I can't believe the FCC hasn't done anything about this issue. This is serious and is happening to a lot of people it seems. Something needs to be done to stop these spam callers. Who are the ones actually doing this? What are they getting by doing this?

I'm sorry but this is driving me insane. These "robocalls" seem fishy.
[doublepost=1538995990][/doublepost]
If your carrier is AT&T or T-Mobile, you can have spam calls blocked at the network level.
Otherwise, use one of the call blocking apps that became available in iOS 10. There was a very long discussion of them a few months back:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-ios-10-call-blocking-identification-apps-thread.1996281/

I'm on AT&T, how do you set this up to block calls at the network level?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
WHAT THE **** is going on with these annoying calls. I'm so fed up with this ****. I've blocked so many numbers and they keep calling multiple times a day, it's really disrupting me from being productive. I can't believe the FCC hasn't done anything about this issue. This is serious and is happening to a lot of people it seems. Something needs to be done to stop these spam callers. Who are the ones actually doing this? What are they getting by doing this?

For AT&T you need to install and activate AT&T Call Protect https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-call-protect/id1181632589?mt=8 though that only blocks scam calls or ones you manually block. You can pay extra to enable the enhanced version which allows you to block other types of calls automatically.

I also recently started using WideProtect Spam Call Blocker https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wideprotect-spam-call-blocker/id1171024059?mt=8 which lets you block entire number exchanges for those scammers who buy an entire block of numbers and randomly change them.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

AFAIK, the FCC has no jurisdiction over most of these robocallers spamming from outside of the U.S. And even if they did, it would be whack-a-mole at best.

It is awful though.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2016
I’ve been getting several spam calls from NJ each day, and each of them a different number than the last.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2016
1.) Never ever pick up. Ever.
2.) Block them on your phone if you like.
3.) Download one of the recommended apps in this thread.

I haven’t, they leave voicemails.

Since it’s a new number every time, it’s nearly impossible to block.

I have been using Hiya, which worked great initially but doesn’t seem to want to do much anymore.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I haven’t, they leave voicemails.

Since it’s a new number every time, it’s nearly impossible to block.

I have been using Hiya, which worked great initially but doesn’t seem to want to do much anymore.
I feel the same about Hiya.

I’ve started another thread in the iOS 12 forum, so hopefully it’ll gain some traction, and we can get some feedback on what is working for folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.