Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm quite impressed with AT&T Call protect. It's more of a pita to set up (IMEI and ATT ID) than the others, but totally worth it. Also, one doesn't need to share the contact list for the network level blocking feature. Oh, and you can have say ATT TC and TrueCaller running at the same time.
Is this not a subscription based service that you pay ATT monthly for?

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
Is it? I just installed it and it only lists 2417 numbers. Do I have to become a paid subscriber to get more? Other blockers have well over 100,000 numbers.
i am from Europe. It is the best callkit app here.

Zandery

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2016
UK
Truecaller still can't give me live caller id when a call appears. Android has it since long. Is it still an ios limitation even after callkit??
If the call is hidden/unknown number then it won't show anything. If the call is open but no name given to it by users, it'll just display the number. At least that is what I've found on iOS and Android, also doesn't block calls very well anymore.

If there was a better blocking app for those of us in the UK, I'd switch but for now, it appears to be the best one going.

JWreck

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2016
AT&T Call Protect sucks. I'm now 100% confident that I started receiving DOUBLE the amount of spam calls after I signed up for the service and installed the application. What a hoax.

To top that off, when it DOES recognize calls that it wants to block, it notifies me that the call was blocked WHILE THE PHONE IS RINGING (in other words, it doesn't block what the app says it is!).

It's garbage and now I'm getting more spam than ever before.

RqThrottle

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2004
Boston
AT&T Call Protect sucks. I'm now 100% confident that I started receiving DOUBLE the amount of spam calls after I signed up for the service and installed the application. What a hoax.

To top that off, when it DOES recognize calls that it wants to block, it notifies me that the call was blocked WHILE THE PHONE IS RINGING (in other words, it doesn't block what the app says it is!).

It's garbage and now I'm getting more spam than ever before.

Yeah ok, and your milk goes sour earlier, and your car uses more gas since you installed the app... what in the world are you talking about?

Sorry, but it doesn't suck. I am not an ATT fan, but the app works wonderfully. Only works on HD voice areas, so make sure you indeed are in one. It blocks calls at the network level, so you never know they were blocked until you look at the list inside the app. I don't know if you set it up right, as it needs your own att id (if you are on family plan, you need your own) and IMEI.
Make sure you have the right options selected on "More". I have "Automatic Fraud blocking" ON, and "call notifications" OFF.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
I'm using AT&T's Call Protect service in addition to the trial month of Nomorobo to good effect. I've encountered just a little weirdness with AT&T's service wherein it seems like the service doesn't block the incoming fraud call in time or blocks it after it's rung my phone once or maybe twice. Other times it's worked fine. I'm not sure if some of this has to do with my frequent use of AT&T's Wi-Fi Calling, VOIP service on my devices.

As far as Nomorobo, it appears to basically work as advertised, and it adds a simple red dot on incoming robo calls via CallKit. This is good because I think AT&T's Call Protect is geared more toward preventing fraudulent or scam calls, while Nomorobo is geared more toward blocking robo calls or marketing and spam calls.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm using AT&T's Call Protect service in addition to the trial month of Nomorobo to good effect. I've encountered just a little weirdness with AT&T's service wherein it seems like the service doesn't block the incoming fraud call in time or blocks it after it's rung my phone once or maybe twice. Other times it's worked fine. I'm not sure if some of this has to do with my frequent use of AT&T's Wi-Fi Calling, VOIP service on my devices.

As far as Nomorobo, it appears to basically work as advertised, and it adds a simple red dot on incoming robo calls via CallKit. This is good because I think AT&T's Call Protect is geared more toward preventing fraudulent or scam calls, while Nomorobo is geared more toward blocking robo calls or marketing and spam calls.
Good to know. Still not sure it's worth the price to me.

Would I need to pay twice for 2 iPhones on the same App Store account or just once?

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Nomorobo has something regarding family pricing in their FAQs. I think they said they currently are unable to offer a family discount price but are working on it. So for the moment, yes--you'd have to pay for a discrete subscription on each phone.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Nomorobo has something regarding family pricing in their FAQs. I think they said they currently are unable to offer a family discount price but are working on it. So for the moment, yes--you'd have to pay for a discrete subscription on each phone.
Even if using same Apple ID? How would they work that out?

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Even if using same Apple ID? How would they work that out?
I'm sorry, I didn't read your initial question carefully enough and just immediately thought you were referring to separate devices with separate AppleIDs using Family Sharing.

No, I'm sure if you're using the same AppleID it'll verify and allow it to work on both.

python0704

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2015
I have both hiya and true caller but many times a caller wasn't identified as spam when called but later pasted into hiya it showed spam.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Let me chime in....

Tried AT&T call blocking app for a few weeks and it didn't work that well with me. It didn't block most of my spam. App was deleted after the two weeks and had to call ATT for it to be taken off because it blocked a few 800 numbers that were not spam even after i deleted the app. Very strange.

Just installed Nomorobo app today, will see how that goes but off the bat, it does not have a Today Widget Notification like TrueCaller or Sync.me. Did a few test spam numbers and it didn't say it was spam in the app and i then reported it as spam. This app doesn't have a search phone number and therefore will not tell you where the number is coming from and what it is. App only has a "Report to Nomorobo" feature. I have to spend more time with this app, it does seem to have a simple and clean UI and i do like the this app seems to respect your privacy when it comes to your contacts as it does not request it.

Have had TrueCaller and Sync.me (non paid subscriptions) apps installed running side by side for a few months now. They do work and block i would say 90% of spam. Definitely dig the today widget that you can quickly to a copy of a phone number and the pull down on the today widget and both apps will show you the name and location where the call was made from. This is a very useful feature to me. Apps do require your contacts info and do ads with eh free version. Although i found TrueCaller to have less ads and not as intrusive to the function of the app itself, Sync.me ads take up the whole screen of the iPhone and constantly asks for your o sync contacts from FB, Twitter and Google before every spam filter sync. Both apps allow you to search phone numbers that were not even called in, also a nice feature.

Going to give Nomorobo a few weeks to see how it works but due to not having a widget and inability to search numbers, i think to me its not worth the $20/year subscription.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
amazing that these crooks start calling using local numbers. i've answered a few and they're the same ones who call from unknown or other random numbers asking about my windows computer virus or telling me i won a free cruise trip. the blocked list is so long right now.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
amazing that these crooks start calling using local numbers. i've answered a few and they're the same ones who call from unknown or other random numbers asking about my windows computer virus or telling me i won a free cruise trip. the blocked list is so long right now.

Spoofing local numbers in your same exchange has been a trick scammers have been using for a while. It's impossible to block as the spoofed numbers belong to real people.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
I'm sorry, I didn't read your initial question carefully enough and just immediately thought you were referring to separate devices with separate AppleIDs using Family Sharing.

No, I'm sure if you're using the same AppleID it'll verify and allow it to work on both.
I tried to put Nomorobo on both my iPhone and my wife's iPhone. We share the same iTunes account. The app tells me that only one device can be linked to a subscription. Is this an Apple limitation or a developer limitation? We can share other purchases made with the same iTunes account. Not understanding why we can't do the same with this subscription.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Spoofing local numbers in your same exchange has been a trick scammers have been using for a while. It's impossible to block as the spoofed numbers belong to real people.
It's so irritating I'm thinking of blocking calls not in my contact list. I've given up adding calls to the block list as there are probably more numbers than memory. I don't answer calls if the number isn't in my contact list, which is an issue, because I do receive legitimate "unknown" callers.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
It's so irritating I'm thinking of blocking calls not in my contact list. I've given up adding calls to the block list as there are probably more numbers than memory. I don't answer calls if the number isn't in my contact list, which is an issue, because I do receive legitimate "unknown" callers.

Yeah, that's one of my issues, what if I ignore a legitimate phone call like my home security call that's usually a 1-888 called ID or if it's a friend/family member in need calling from an unknown number.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Is anyone using AT&T's Call Protect having an issue with the associated app not showing recent calls? I've gotten 2 calls today, but the app isn't showing them.

Edit: one showed up 6 hours later as if it had just occurred.

Last edited:

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Is anyone using AT&T's Call Protect having an issue with the associated app not showing recent calls? I've gotten 2 calls today, but the app isn't showing them.

Edit: one showed up 6 hours later as if it had just occurred.

I was having similar issues and some calls were not coming tru/showing up at all that were legit 800 or 888 numbers that needed my attention. This is one of the main reasons I had the app removed.
If you are going to delete the app, you might need to call ATT and let them know to take that blocking service off your account. The service was still active even after I deleted the app off my iPhone.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Well this is discouraging... (deleting app as I'm typing this)

The app is just an interface to the service. All blocking, logging, etc is done on AT&T's end so deleting the app doesn't remove the service.

The app can be used to disable auto-blocking though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.