Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Okay, I confused as to why these apps don't appear to show caller id information.

For example, I just got a call from 216-326-3545 on my iPhone. The call screen didn't show any indication on who it was. When I searched on Hiya, it came back as "SCAM OR FRAUD" with an 9/10 unwanted rating.

How come that didn't show up when I got the call?

Hiya's blocking feature is working for manually entered numbers so CallKit integration is working, but caller id seems to never work.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
FINALLY: there's an update from Rocketship on their app, Callblock. They've updated the app, and added a subscription model with a one month free trial (previous buyers are grandfathered in with a "free subscription", doesn't say for how long though). They don't require contact list access in order to block calls.

I've been using their app since October 20th and haven't had an unwanted call come through since then, when previously I had been getting at least one a day. Maybe the spammers are simply leaving me alone now, who knows? But this might be worth a try if you can stomach a subscription model, and if the other options out there aren't working for you currently. Would like to hear others' experiences with the updated app so I'd know if I'm just in a lull with spam calls or if it's actually working.

Blog post from the developer with details on latest version: https://log.rocketshipapps.com/callblock-1-1-133154a4ac3e#.6xk0k42t8

Last edited:

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
An early developer beta I know, but it seems both Hiya and Truecaller do not work in the iOS 10.3 beta. Neither show up under call blocking.

It's quite possible this is an iOS breakage fixed in next build but also may be a sign of API changes. Hard to say so far but just FYI.........

Reactions: jiehanzheng

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
An early developer beta I know, but it seems both Hiya and Truecaller do not work in the iOS 10.3 beta. Neither show up under call blocking.

Considering the privacy implications, people are still using Hiya? I figured they'd have torpedoed themselves by now.
[doublepost=1485360148][/doublepost]I noticed that at least Nomorobo breaks iOS 10's call announce feature. No longer do I get the caller announced in my headphones or BT, even though it's selected in Settings.

Won't bother installing Hiya again to find out if it breaks with it.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
Hiya no longer works for me. I have un installed it and re installed it, same thing. It stopped working about a month ago, nothing changed on my iPhone, no new apps or anything. However I can still look up numbers in Hiya and it shows them as scam or fraud. The app used to work great, not so much anymore, all it is good for is looking up numbers after they have called. I miss how it worked as I seem to get more and more scam or fraud calls now using the same area code I am in.

Reactions: willmtaylor

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Considering the privacy implications, people are still using Hiya? I figured they'd have torpedoed themselves by now.
[doublepost=1485360148][/doublepost]I noticed that at least Nomorobo breaks iOS 10's call announce feature. No longer do I get the caller announced in my headphones or BT, even though it's selected in Settings.

Won't bother installing Hiya again to find out if it breaks with it.
What's the issue with Hiya again?

As far as call announce, do you have your phone set to silent/vibrate? That feature seems only work in that state.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
AFAIK, it requires access to your contacts/phonebook for their servers so as to keep database and algorithms accurate.
Ah, that. I thought there might have been something in particular that actually happened (beyond an app essentially asking for access to contacts).

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Found the reference: #79 (official Hiya rep).

Read the rest of the thread. He lies.
[doublepost=1485377207][/doublepost]
Ah, that. I thought there might have been something in particular that actually happened (beyond an app essentially asking for access to contacts).

They don't ask for *access*. They upload your contacts to their servers.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

dgardel

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2017

It's quite possible this is an iOS breakage fixed in next build but also may be a sign of API changes. Hard to say so far but just FYI.........

I confirm, Truecaller, Callblocker and Hiya doesn't work on iOS 10.3 Beta!!!

RqThrottle

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2004
Boston
Man, I am a bit let down by these so-called "call blocking" apps. I have true caller installed without sharing my contact list. The only thing it does is to tag the incoming call as "spammer" when its one... I have read every post of these thread and I understand that Hiya requires contact access to send the call to voicemail, but I'm still not clear about true caller. I know that without contact access you have no access to the proprietary dialer and contacts tabs... what what does that mean in plain english with regards to the application's call blocking capabilities?

The language used on their page makes it look like a top spammer is added to the contacts tab and needs manual blocking...

Are there any apps out there that TRULY block telemarketers? By blocking I mean they will NOT ring your phone?

Thanks!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Man, I am a bit let down by these so-called "call blocking" apps. I have true caller installed without sharing my contact list. The only thing it does is to tag the incoming call as "spammer" when its one... I have read every post of these thread and I understand that Hiya requires contact access to send the call to voicemail, but I'm still not clear about true caller. I know that without contact access you have no access to the proprietary dialer and contacts tabs... what what does that mean in plain english with regards to the application's call blocking capabilities?

The language used on their page makes it look like a top spammer is added to the contacts tab and needs manual blocking...

Are there any apps out there that TRULY block telemarketers? By blocking I mean they will NOT ring your phone?

Thanks!

Callblock does, at least on iOS 10.2. Haven't had a telemarketer call since it started working in November. And it doesn't require contact access.

Reactions: RqThrottle

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
...so the question becomes, is the nuisance enough to spend $1/mo. on a subscription based app that works or on an assortment of "free" apps that sometimes work (in best cases scenarios)? Your call.

RqThrottle

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2004
Boston
...so the question becomes, is the nuisance enough to spend $1/mo. on a subscription based app that works or on an assortment of "free" apps that sometimes work (in best cases scenarios)? Your call.

Exactly. Also, those so-called "call blockers" should be properly classified as "telemarketer/spam call identifiers". They do not block, just add nice little spam icon under the user. Which, to me, is next to useless as if you call me and I don't have you on my contacts list, I don't pick up.

In short, in *my* case they add zero value. Hence, I will try callblock.

Reactions: willmtaylor

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden

Thanks!

Hey!!

You'll will not able to use Truecallers dialer nor be able to see your contacts in our "contact tab" if contact access is disabled as you pointed out

You can still block calls in Truecaller by adding numbers to "My block list" in "More" tab. You will not be notified at all if they're blocked but that's not the case with the spammers provided in the CallKit list as you noticed (Call blocking & identification section) and they will still be able to leave a voicemail w/o contact access. To answer your question of why those calls aren't blocked is because there is no way to know if a call is blocked later which increases the risk of missing some important calls.

The CallKit list is basically an extension list of the spammers created when you allow contact access. It's called "SPAM" and is a contact which are the top spammers in your region (another reason for contact access). And those numbers are possible to block if you navigate to your phonebook > SPAM > Edit > Scroll to the bottom and choose "Block this caller". Again, you'll not be notified at all if they call you.

Please note that we use the contact information to generate a personalised graph which helps us to provide you with more accurate search results. Keep in mind that we never upload the contact information to our servers. That is against the Appstores guidelines. We only use the numbers to generate the graph.

Hope this clarifies a bit more. Don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

Have a nice day,
Kamran @ Truecaller

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.