Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
If people cannot stop from arguing and derailing the thread, this topic will be locked.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Is Call Blocking just completely broken for anyone else?

The only app that will show up under the Settings -> Phone -> Call Blocking & Identification screen is "HiYa". No other app shows up there. HiYa is the first CallKit enabled blocking app I installed (back in iOS 10.0.1). and it seems like no matter what I do, that's the only one that will ever show up.

Anyone else having this problem?

Edit:

Apps I've tried that don't show up:
1. Truecaller
2. Mr. Number
3. Whoscall

Last edited:

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I'm having a problem on my iPhone 7 Plus phone running iOS 10.1.1. The problem is that when I install apps that support call blocking, they are supposed to show up under the Phone -> Call blocking & Identification settings, but they don't.

The only app that shows up under there is HiYa, which I've had installed since iOS 10.0.1. Any other app I install never shows up. I've tried TrueCaller and Mr. Number (owned by makers of HiYa) and neither showed up.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any idea on how to fix it?
[doublepost=1478275500][/doublepost]I just tested some thing and even though HiYa is enabled, it's not working. I blocked my work number in HiYa and I still received the call.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I'm confused as to if HiYa's caller identification feature is working or not.

I've received a few calls lately where the call screen shows no indications of a spam or scan call. For example the last call I got showed nothing on the call screen., but if I copy the number into Hiya and search for it, it shows that it is "Suspected Spam" with an unwanted rating of 8/10.

Shouldn't that show up on the call screen?

Edit:

Okay it's definitely not working. I added my work number under the block list and it wasn't blocked.
[doublepost=1478277381][/doublepost]MayurKamat_Hiya,

I'm trying to test to see if Hiya is working on my iPhone 7 Plus under iOS 10.1.1 since I haven't seen any caller id info from it since around iOS 10.0.2.

I added a number to Hiya's call block list, but that number isn't being blocked even though Hiya is enabled in the iOS settings.

Should call blocking be working?

I'm trying to figure out if Caller ID and blocking is corrupted on my phone since the only app I can get to show up in the Phone -> Call blocking and Identification settings is Hiya, but Hiya doesn't seem to be working despite being enabled.

I've tried Truecaller, Whoscall and Mr. Number (also written by Hiya) and neither show up.

Last edited:

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I got out an old iPhone 5s also running iOS 10.1.1 and everything works as expected. The big clue I'm seeing is on that device apps only show up in the phone settings after they are run. On my iPhone 7 Plus, only Hiya shows up and it does so the moment it is installed. That shouldn't be happening which tells me that somehow Hiya is stuck in the Callkit call block extensions list and seems to be preventing any other apps from registering.

I'm convinced this is an iOS bug. I logged a bug with Apple about this problem and they duped it to an open bug 27762839, so they seem to be aware of this problem. I wonder if a restore would work around it?

schmegs

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
Burbank, CA
I've noticed that sometimes if I leave my phone open to the Call Blocking setting screen that eventually the app will show up, so maybe that would work for you...

Is Call Blocking just completely broken for anyone else?

The only app that will show up under the Settings -> Phone -> Call Blocking & Identification screen is "HiYa". No other app shows up there. HiYa is the first CallKit enabled blocking app I installed (back in iOS 10.0.1). and it seems like no matter what I do, that's the only one that will ever show up.

Anyone else having this problem?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I've noticed that sometimes if I leave my phone open to the Call Blocking setting screen that eventually the app will show up, so maybe that would work for you...

It's not just apps not showing up, the one that does (Hiya), doesn't work at all. It also shows up without me ever running the app after uninstalling it and reinstalling, which means that somehow it's already registered before it's run. That doesn't match what I see on the 5s.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Doing a backup, erase all settings and media and then restoring the backup fixed the problem.

yungskeeme

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Having an issue. I had TrueCaller installed but then decided to delete it. I don't have the app installed anymore but when some calls come in I get the red screen regarding spam. How do I get rid of this?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Having an issue. I had TrueCaller installed but then decided to delete it. I don't have the app installed anymore but when some calls come in I get the red screen regarding spam. How do I get rid of this?

Search for the SPAM contact in your contacts and delete it.

Reactions: kamranmamedi

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi everyone,

Just dropping by to tell everyone who had issues with enabling CallKit for Truecaller that it seems to be working now so please try again and let me know if you bump into any issues.

Best regards,
Kamran @ Truecaller

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Hi everyone,

Just dropping by to tell everyone who had issues with enabling CallKit for Truecaller that it seems to be working now so please try again and let me know if you bump into any issues.

Best regards,
Kamran @ Truecaller

I have been using the Truecaller for some time now. The functionality is improving. I am however wondering about a new feature which I am not sure how it works and what it does. Can you please clarify. In particular I have received messages from Truecaller saying "New Profile view - You have 1 new profile view. Click open to see who it was: Clicking open brings one to a new login option screen using Google account or Microsoft account. So what is a profile view? Can any Truecall user request to look me up in the Truecaller database? So if a marketing company or a political party paid professional membership forTruecaller, can they access my name and phone number?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Does anyone know if any of these apps work for Wifi calling on other devices. For example I can make and receive calls with my AT&T Wireless line on my iPad using the FaceTime app, but ID and block doesn't seem to work even though I enabled the apps under the FaceTime -> Caller Identification and blocking page.

kamranmamedi

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
I have been using the Truecaller for some time now. The functionality is improving. I am however wondering about a new feature which I am not sure how it works and what it does. Can you please clarify. In particular I have received messages from Truecaller saying "New Profile view - You have 1 new profile view. Click open to see who it was: Clicking open brings one to a new login option screen using Google account or Microsoft account. So what is a profile view? Can any Truecall user request to look me up in the Truecaller database? So if a marketing company or a political party paid professional membership forTruecaller, can they access my name and phone number?

Hey,

Thanks for asking. A profile view is either that a person searched your number or searched your name and clicked into your profile. The number is never visible if someone searches your name (If you have the privacy setting as "request only" which is set by default for everyone including none-users). No one can basically get your number without your approval.

Hope this explains how profile view works.

Best,
Kamran @ Truecaller

Reactions: upnorth85

l3uddz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Hey,

Thanks for asking. A profile view is either that a person searched your number or searched your name and clicked into your profile. The number is never visible if someone searches your name (If you have the privacy setting as "request only" which is set by default for everyone including none-users). No one can basically get your number without your approval.

Hope this explains how profile view works.

Best,
Kamran @ Truecaller

That explains why I have never experienced that message. I must be rather unpopular

Cpives

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
I had a number flagged by Hiya today as extortion. I happened to know that it wasn't, it was NPower, an energy supplier here in the UK. It was their billing department. This could get a lot of people in trouble, as they may not answer a legitimate call from a legitimate company calling to sort out an overdue bill because the number is flagged as extortion.

Reactions: Simacca

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I had a number flagged by Hiya today as extortion. I happened to know that it wasn't, it was NPower, an energy supplier here in the UK. It was their billing department. This could get a lot of people in trouble, as they may not answer a legitimate call from a legitimate company calling to sort out an overdue bill because the number is flagged as extortion.
I think if businesses take the time to register all their lines with the company name, it would show up. Even here in the US, companies like Comcast never register their number. Schwab on the other hand always shows the company name for incoming calls if one has caller ID enabled.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Well I got a scam call that nether Hiya not Truecaller displayed as a SCAM in the phone app despite both apps show as a scam when I search for the number.

I tried disabling Truecaller in the iOS settings and it wouldn't disable. I then disabled Hiya and Truecaller disabled. I then tried to enable Truecaller and I keep getting the error below. I can enable Hiya without an issue, but I don't think either are working.

1ff690016a6331d6919d0c90260a446f.png

Last edited:

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Like someone else mentioned the company probably doesn't have the number registered publicly as being them.

Also two other things could cause this.
*Since the listed seem to have a crowd source component, others could be marking it as extortion due to unpaid bills. The get calls from collections and get upset and report it. After so many the app probably automatically marks the number.
*Their number could also have been hijacked by caller id spoofing by people trying to extort money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.