Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Helped my dad set up his iPhone X last night (over the phone: he lives in Illinois, I live in Texas). I had him reboot the device and while doing so he accidentally called the police.

Apple has to address this. It wasn't that long of a hold before the police were called.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Helped my dad set up his iPhone X last night (over the phone: he lives in Illinois, I live in Texas). I had him reboot the device and while doing so he accidentally called the police.

Apple has to address this. It wasn't that long of a hold before the police were called.
Address what. Pressing the emergency button? They want to make it as easy as possible to call police not more difficult.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Address what. Pressing the emergency button? They want to make it as easy as possible to call police not more difficult.
It's poor design to have the power off method and the "Call the Police" method be the same.

As is, if you go to the power off screen, there's an "SOS" button. It needs to be a different gesture.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
My non techie brother is returning his iPhone X. He felt it was too small compared to his 7 Plus.

A lot of people see 5.8 inches and think bigger right away.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
My non techie brother is returning his iPhone X. He felt it was too small compared to his 7 Plus.

A lot of people see 5.8 inches and think bigger right away.
Right. First, it's not really a 5.8 inch display because the notch takes up a good amount of usable area. Second, it's a taller iPhone 8, not really an enlarged screen like iPhone 8 Plus

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Right. First, it's not really a 5.8 inch display because the notch takes up a good amount of usable area. Second, it's a taller iPhone 8, not really an enlarged screen like iPhone 8 Plus
From what I understand its actually 5.85, it becomes 5.8 when you account for the notch.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
From what I understand its actually 5.85, it becomes 5.8 when you account for the notch.
5.8 includes the notch. The "safe area" on the device is closer to 5.5 and it's a taller 5.5 than iPhone 8 Plus.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

display_iphone_x_medium.jpg

Reactions: iSilas and tbayrgs

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Its odd, yet apple says 5.85 in the fine print.

Anyway, im waiting for the Plus verson next year. a 6.4" display in the size of 7/8 Plus? Count me in.

Probably with a $1499.99 us starting price o_O:eek::confused:

I am still kicking around the idea of trying out an actual iPhone. I have never used one. Just iPads that don't get much use

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
the size of the x is fine with me even though I would buy the bigger model. it's nice having a phone where I can use it easily in one hand.

for other tasks I do have my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
the size of the x is fine with me even though I would buy the bigger model. it's nice having a phone where I can use it easily in one hand.

I would have kept the X but video size simply bothered me too much. These aspect ratios are simply the minority compared to 16 x 9.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

I'm starting to drift this way, too. This might just be my sweet spot for screen size/aspect ratio

Reactions: The Game 161

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Let's give this a shot. We were flooding the Pixel thread with iPhone X discussion, so I have put together this "Non-denominational" thread for iOS/Android phone discussion. We are an interesting bunch of fence sitters and we should have a general discussion thread.

Key thread goals
  1. Honest Discussion of iOS/Android phones
  2. Judgement-free(ish) discussion of various alternatives to iOS
  3. Owner impressions of why they use the phones they use

I think I finally gave in to iOS permanently, well I say permanently but I really mean the foreseeable future. I had many reasons for going this route, but I had been leaning towards it more and more the past 2 years.

1) hardware design: Gone are the glory days of the Note series IMO, that was one of the major reasons I stayed on Android. The glorious huge, 16:9 phablet without curved edges is now gone, and I cannot stand the current Note 8. Other android phones are enticing, even without a 16:9 ratio, but very slow OS updates and a lack of a stylus won't win me over. Apple, IMO, really got the X hardware right, although it's too small and I can't wait for a X-plus version. Granted it has the same weird narrow aspect ratio and that's a negative, but with the non curved edges I can deal with it. I expected at least Google to give them a run for their money, but they released the piss poor pixel 2.

2) widgets: This was a big one for me, to be able to squeeze in several widgets in a home screen and see, at a glance, all of my information. After being on iOS for a while I've come to appreciate the organized and uniform look and feel of iOS widgets. Although iOS widgets are still far inferior to Android widgets, just something about android widgets turned me off after trying to get back on android this past year. They were just disjointed, different styles, fonts, padding, functionality, coloring, background, etc etc made me find my home screens ugly and inelegant. Don't get me wrong, iOS ultra boring icon grid doesn't exactly set me on fire, but at least its consistent.

3) ecosystem: There really is no easy replacement for Apple's ecosystem. My wife and kids have facetime, we have an apple TV at home, etc. Every single family member or other person we see has Apple, sometimes I wonder if android phones exist in the wild. So every time I'm over a family members house and want to put up my kids pictures/movies onscreen, there is always an Apple TV there. I really like imessage as well. I think Google is doing themselves a huge disservice by having so many overlapping apps that do the same thing, but don't mesh together. Google needs to just consolidate them all into 1 or 2 apps, messaging, video, google voice, etc. There are things in the google ecosystem I miss, with google voice integration being chief among them, and also things like having waze on android auto, but I've learned to live without them.

Also in terms of ecosystem, I prefer the apple watch and how it interfaces with iOS. I also didn't feel like selling my 2 SS watches and trying to figure out how to replace them on android.

So I'm pretty thrilled with my X, like I said my only gripe is how small it is and wish for a plus version. To me it's the most bezel free phone out of any other phone except maybe the Essential. I know in reality it's not if you add up the bezel percentage, but Apple really designed it to feel like no bezels. I don't love the notch, but it honestly disappears very quickly and it's also free space IMO because the status bar is up there.

What will pull me away? Well a 16:9 phone with no bezels and no curved edges would have a very good chance, but then it would have to have rapid OS updates and preferably a stylus. A foldable phone might, but we won't see one for 5-10 years and I don't include next year's "bendable" phones in that category, although I'm withholding judgment until I actually see one. It's actually a huge relief to just settle on one phone and not be constantly feeling anxiety when trying to decide on a phone.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
What will pull me away? Well a 16:9 phone with no bezels and no curved edges would have a very good chance.

16x9 phones are most likely not coming back. The future is tall screens with these aspect rations. On one hand I like that phones are smaller with more screen space.
On the other hand most media is 16X9 and not prepared for these aspect ratios right now.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
16x9 phones are most likely not coming back. The future is tall screens with these aspect rations. On one hand I like that phones are smaller with more screen space.
On the other hand most media is 16X9 and not prepared for these aspect ratios right now.

Yeah, you are probably right, but it still sucks. I'm still waiting for the consumer backlash, but with all the happy iPhone X users that's most likely not going to happen. I can deal with the tall narrow phones as long as it's a big screen, and the edges aren't curved.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, you are probably right, but it still sucks. I'm still waiting for the consumer backlash, but with all the happy iPhone X users that's most likely not going to happen. I can deal with the tall narrow phones as long as it's a big screen, and the edges aren't curved.
The GS8 and NOTE 8 have rather subtle curves compared to the GS7. What dont you like about the curves?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Unfortunately, we have seen Apple screw up and still sell things like hot cakes. The current MBP isn't great (I own one and don't mind it, but it's generally not as good as previous gen Macbooks), but it sold so well it's hard to know if Apple is going to learn from "consumer backlash"

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have always loved Apple and have essentially owned every generation iPhone since the original. Never really was a fan of Android over the years, but after using a Galaxy S6 and Pixel, I gained more of an appreciation for Android.

I absolutely love my X, but I'm toying around with the idea of getting a Pixel or Pixel 2 to play around with Android again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.